Redpill me on this series, it looks so uninteresting character design and setting wise...

redpill me on this series, it looks so uninteresting character design and setting wise, but every weeb I know swears by it

Attached: persona.jpg (1024x576, 161K)

it's shin megami tensei but for babbies

>the characters look uninteresting
then you will dislike it, i really like it since its basically a friend simulator with some rpg battles sometimes

It's a grindan forevar JRPG with a built-in school simulator. So you can soothe your autism by doing repetitive tasks for hours on end, while also simulating the high school experience of hanging with friends and dating girls you never got to have.

The only redpill you'll need.

Attached: 1556824514535.jpg (1024x576, 232K)

Gateway'd me into SMT proper.
Started with 1 because I decided to make my own opinion after seeing entirety of Yea Forums shitting on 3 for being weebcore.
Why don't you just play it? Not like you'll get any opinion on Yea Forums that isn't shit including mine.

Attached: persona general.png (640x480, 327K)

it's essentially the call of duty of jrpgs, it's what "normie weebs" play and that's why there's a lot

The character design is great, you’re just looking at the protagonists there. Persona 5 is literally one of the most genuinely fun games I’ve ever played.
Also don’t listen to retards like this Persona 1 and 2 are good

Both Persona 2's have absolute trash demon forging. Thank god you can make it through with just your initial personas until you get your ultimates. Literally worse than FF8's draw system.

It's boring af, dating simulator. Unless you're a thirsty virgin it won't do much for you.

I’ve played most critcally acclaimed JRPGs and I can tell you Persona is peak.

>Implying persona was mainstream before 5

Absolutely bluepilled

t. Has not played Persona

pretty much. personally i enjoy them

they are both for babbies

first, we go way back

Attached: 22202_fca3451eb833d7722f2cd210da356301efd26420.png (256x240, 4K)

The first 3 and the second 3 are pretty much different series. The first 3 are pretty much SMT with slight changes. The second 3 are high school life simulators.

It's SMT with more of a focus on society and social stuff. It's hate comes for Persona 4 which is just a slice of life game, 5 put it back in smt territory

>removes the two best games (is and ep)
>keeps the two worst games (3 and 4)

Attached: 1555010931659.gif (480x480, 71K)

Here are the best girls, all you need to know.

Attached: Persona-3-Dancing-Moon-Night-1.jpg (1000x562, 122K)

Never thought of it that way, but yeah this basically sums it up OP. It's the entry level weeb game, that's why so many people like it, it's all they know.

play the persona 2 duology and persona 5.

the others aren't worth your time.

Attached: p2-illust2.jpg (700x1150, 189K)

The fuck?

Attached: Miss me with that bullshit.png (200x200, 108K)

they're like FF where you don't need to know shit from the other games to play each one indivdiually right?

yikes and bluepilled

Attached: philemon.gif (640x480, 76K)

The 2 duology, being a duology, are reliant upon one another. You need to play Innocent Sin before Eternal Punishment. There's also P1 stuff in P2, so it helps to play P1 first.
P3 is a soft reboot and very standalone. 4 has cameos from P3 but is mostly standalone. 5 is very standalone.

For the 2 duology, it's like FFX and X-2. Everything else though, yes pretty much.

>uninteresting design
nigger what, it's literally god tier together with smt (with smt being first place)
>not kyuuyaku mt
it's shit either way
i'm playing them in order, and being in the 2nd half of IS i'd say that P1's cast is way better

why does tatsuya look like hes wearing a plastic cap on his head

Attached: 1534515278092.png (161x408, 115K)

It's fun and has good characters.

Attached: 1556198455900.png (361x404, 191K)

it's a series of jrpgs that takes jungian psychology, gnosticism, and zhuangzi philosophy and blends it all together into a modern urban fantasy.
and then there's persona 4, which is a moeshit slice-of-life anime game for ironic weebs.

Fucking based opinion
They have slight references to each other, take place in the same world, and have some connection in the overarching theme of things but you don’t need to have played previous ones to play one

>it's essentially the call of duty of jrpgs
no, that's pokemon.

I love Fuuka!

Attached: Sky Blue Fuuka.png (395x600, 214K)

They’re talking about you here

1 and 2 are moderately linked
3 and 4 are barely linked
5 has like 2 Easter egg references to 4 in it

Play either 3 or 2:IS first. If it's too outdated for you just skip to 5.

>/pg/
No one should care what those wackos think or say

t. thot enabler

>sometimes
Tell that to the 80+ hours I clocked in Tartarus alone.

Don't listen to lonely waifu fags like you find in vg, op, the games are good and the waifu shit is honestly minimal unless you're the kind of fag who does nothing but argue about best girl

>thinking 3 is shit compared to 5

Based.

3 and 1 have an iota of link with the tv interviews.

t. Reddit underage
Go the fuck back with language like that

When the fuck is EP PSP getting translated

>roastari

That's true. Also 3 and 4 have some spinoffs together, but they vary in quality so only go for em if you really want more 3 and 4

Based DatingSim CHAD.
Cringe.

seething

>worse story and characters than 1 and 2
>worse gameplay than 4 and 5
>one of the worst dungeons in the history of jrpgs, and it takes up half the game
>pointless gimmick combat system that adds nothing to the game
3 is a bad game, no matter how hard contrarians try to pretend like it's good.

No girl can compete.

Attached: 1556754575458.jpg (267x447, 41K)

3 and 1 (in the snow queen quest) also both used nyx as the final boss.

I played IS and I don't get what people think is so great about it.

>Persona 1
Good: Interesting concept for a story, combat system is pretty unique, two different routes to play
Bad: Dungeon crawler with one of the worst dungeon designs ever put in a game, unbalanced gameplay, combat is slow, story goes through large stretches of nothing, pretty much no character development

>Persona 2 (IS/EP)
Good: Great story and characters, a crapton of side content, surprisingly modern design choices at times like being able to save anywhere
Bad: Dungeons take a HUGE dive in quality in the game's second half, combat is meh, Fusion Spells are broken, high encounter rates

>Persona 3
Good: Great story with surprisingly dark and mature themes and a great ending
Bad: Story's pacing is pretty wack, Tartarus is repetitive and boring

>Persona 4
Good: Great cast and setting filled with lighthearted fun
Bad: Game's themes are pretty weak, ending is pretty bad and even then finding the real one will require a guide

>Persona 5
Good: Great gameplay, best dungeons in the series, amazing visual design
Bad: Story loses steam around the middle, streamlined gameplay makes it much easier

Reminder that P1/2 are vastly different in their structure when compared with P3~5. All of them have amazing music btw.

What does it have compared to the ps1 version besides a reworked soundtrack and some touched-on aesthetic shit like menus?

Mega yikes. Imagine thinking 4, 5 and even the 2 duology's is better than 3.

Attached: JPEG_20190307_201314.png (851x643, 798K)

>not kyuuyaku mt
i said way back not into the mid times

Attached: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei-190120-164332.png (1440x1080, 27K)

Those are two different nyxs.

Minimap and better interphase

>Those are two different nyxs.
Which makes no fucking sense. However will likely never get any clarity on the matter since that would require Hashino actually acknowledge the original games.

go to bed

Pretty much. There was definetly some forshadowing to some other god fucking humanity up in EP after Narly but that literally could of been anything

>everyone triggered by this post
>despite the fact that 3 4 and 5 are the only culturally relevant titles
>muh "i played the old ones so im cool even though those games would be shit to me if i couldnt use them as a status symbol on an anonymous website to feel better about myself"

Yes, but 5 has a tweest that hits way better if you played at least one other before.

sure, but they're both still nyx.

Honestly speaking.
EP not being translated and all the IS players lowkey seething about not knowing what's on the other side is absolutely kino and hitting the nail on head with Tatsuya's feelings.

>Which makes no fucking sense
It makes perfect sense when you remember everything in the Persona games is shaped by the human collective consciousness, including myths, folklore and rumors, and that different aspects of the same mythological figure can become influences for different entities. There's like half a dozen Susanoos at this point, all taking after a separate aspect of the mythological figure. There's at least three different Lucifers. Vishnu and all of the Dashavatara are separate entities. There's two different Cerberuses. There can be different Nyxes.

Shitty dating simulators, play the chad mainline games instead.

>It makes perfect sense when you remember everything in the Megaten games is shaped by the human collective consciousness
Ftfy
Except the great will though.

Or the IS players will cope with the PS1 version and get over their zoomer mentality about handholding and shit. So a win-win either way.

wrong, that would be pokemon
>big and shitty fanbase
>new titles almost every year with barely any changes
>muh "x" game is better than "y" game because it was my first game that I played in the series

Attached: images-2.jpg (232x218, 11K)

wrong quote, meant for

Why don't you just like, play one of the games if you're so interested?

>new titles almost every year with barely any changes
I think people would be less pissed off about pokemon if that were the case. Instead GF just remove shit at random.

Persona 3 is honestly a better JRPG than the likes of Chrono Trigger these days, but it's still one of the weakest Megaten games.

Maya best protagonist

Attached: MayaIShappy.png (128x161, 19K)

>Persona 3 is honestly a better JRPG than the likes of Chrono Trigger these days
You wish.

Not him, but I kinda agree.

Its genuinely a roleplaying-game first and foremost. If you don't like the fantasy the games provide then boy will it bore the hell out of you.

In what regard exactly?

P3s gameplay (and the rest of the Megaten series) completely blows CT out of the water at least. The characters are better too since this is before P4, and they still have depth and compelling character arcs. Music is worse though, and I don't think the graphics will hold up as well at CT's did.

Attached: Shin Megami Tensei II (Fix)-181002-234150.png (1440x1080, 577K)

>a roleplaying-game first and foremost.
Sure if you're playing the first two games otherwise the rpg elements take a nosedive with 3.

>Its genuinely a roleplaying-game first and foremost.
Uh-huh.

Attached: 121020233424.jpg (2000x1176, 555K)

GINKO PLEASES OLD MEN FOR MONEY

Attached: 1544389398130.png (1071x1200, 530K)

Epic. I don't even want to defend Persona 5 because I thought it sucked but whether or not something's a roleplaying game isn't decided by the amount of choices given. I'm saying that the game's main appeal is the premise itself, if you don't care about playing a highschooler fighting demons in a stylishly-realized world then the game isn't going to do much for you from a pure gameplay standpoint. Either it clicks with you and its a genuine experience, or it doesn't and it'll bore the hell out of you and you're better off picking up any SMT game.

Attached: 1551518564958.jpg (1000x1000, 50K)

>P3s gameplay (and the rest of the Megaten series)
Why are you trying to lump them together? Persona and regular Megaten haven't had similar gameplay elements since P1. You couldn't even control your party members in 3 until Portable if I remember right. I chose not to play that version so I'm kind of going by what I hear regardless, the point is mechanically it fails in that regard especially compared to CT except when comparing it to 1 and 2.

As for the story I won't deny that P3 does have way more characterization but that's not necessarily a good thing when a lot of it is in social links which is a problem every modern persona game has. Anyway, CT despite ultimately having one goal of destroying Lavos has multiple ways of going about it from crashing the Epoch into Lavos, Accessing it from the bucket or even taking it down at the start basically it's more of an rpg than most jrpgs short of the Etrian series because of the freedom you have. I mean, rarely do you come across a game where you can finish it without the main character.

>P3s gameplay (and the rest of the Megaten series) completely blows CT out of the water at least.
p3's gameplay is nothing like other megaten games and is garbage compared to ct.
>The characters are better too since this is before P4
sorry, but the quality of characters declined with p3, not p4, no matter how hard p3babbies try to force this narrative. if you ever play the p2 duology, you'll realize how shitty 3's characters are by comparison.

>the point is mechanically it fails in that regard especially compared to CT
You can't be serious. I don't even like Persona, but Chrono Trigger is one of the shallowest and simplistic RPGs ever made in terms of game mechanics. We are talking about an RPG that only has a SINGLE ability that deals a status effect (Lucca's sleep beam), and it's mostly useless since moste enemies are immune to it. There is nothing to Chrono Trigger's gameplay, it's completely braindead 'spam your awesome dual/triple tech' button mashing.

Attached: 1551463810724.jpg (528x792, 66K)

so?

I think Trails would suit you better.

Attached: 1536005222056.webm (960x540, 2.85M)

> I don't even like Persona
That explains why you don't know much about P3. Why do you even think that validates your post? It only makes you look ignorant about both series.

>We are talking about an RPG that only has a SINGLE ability that deals a status effect
So?
Status effects are useless in Persona 3 and up as well because of elemental weaknesses, especially in 5 but that's not the game we're talking about.
Also that's wrong, Marle has allure which causes confusion and Robo and Ayla's Boogie inflicts stop. Then there are weapons that also cause status effects like Lucca's shock wave that can confuse.

Why did you even start this conversation if you know nothing?

Shut the actual FUCK up P2faggot.

>it's completely braindead 'spam your awesome dual/triple tech' button mashing.
Ironic you would say that while defending persona which is LITERALLY just spam elements for extra turns.

>Also that's wrong, Marle has allure which causes confusion
No, it doesn't, It PROVOKES the enemy, which makes them attack her. Which is dumb, because Marle does not have stellar defense, so why would you want enemies to attack her? I delibrately left this one out because it's essentially useless.

>Robo and Ayla's Boogie inflicts stop.
Forgot about it. It's probably the only consistently useful one. So there's a grand total of three status inflicting abilities, two of which are mostly useless and the other being highly limited, requiring you to have 2 specific charactrs in your party (in a game with a party size of 3). Whoop di doo.

>Why did you even start this conversation if you know nothing?
Says the person who didn't even know what Marle's ability did.

>It PROVOKES the enemy, which makes them attack her
Stop reading the wiki and actually play the game Provoke was always a confusion tech which is why renamed it in the DS version to Allure.

Thing is even the wiki says it's a confusion skill.

>Stop reading the wiki and actually play the game Provoke was always a confusion tech which is why renamed it in the DS version to Allure.
But it doesn't confuse the enemy.

Why don't YOU play the game?

based. remove 5 as well