Is SMB unironically one of the best games of all time?

Is SMB unironically one of the best games of all time?

Attached: smb.jpg (2000x1000, 433K)

No but smb3 and smw are

Not at all

Sure

I can't objectively judge it because it's so deeply ingrained in my psyche

Attached: 1552329488361.gif (491x352, 3.88M)

Yes

Yes, absolutely

3 and World is nothing but bloat.

Super Mario World doesn't have 1/10th the level design goodness of SMB and SMB2 JP.

>Hit block at the start of the game
>A mushroom comes out.
>You know from the last game that while goombas are the bad mushrooms, these are the good mushrooms.
>Die

Attached: 1554934450982.jpg (1248x1080, 690K)

World 1-1 in SMB1 is designed to teach the player through death too fagola. And no one complains when modern games like Souls shit does it

When people bring a Mario game as the best of the series or game of all time their answer is always 3, World or 64

No it has some serious shit level design
I can't beat World 8 without savestates
Who the fuck thought spamming Hammer Bros everywhere counts as a fair challenge

holy shit git gud

One of the most important. First year, first ballot winner for most important.

nah its not a good game desu

>In the 80's, these were the kind of brutal-ass games that kicked us into shape and heightened our senses. Made us into fuckin' tigers.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 99K)

lost levels plays like a shitty romhack

t. lost a life to the backwards warp zone

SMB is probably the worst 2D Mario, even counting the NSMB shits

Mario Land 1 is the worst

That wasn't even made by Nintendo, I think. And it was a launch title for Gameboy, so you know it was gonna be jank.

How were you supposed to know to jump over or on the goomba here? I mean the game doesn't give you any indication that you can do that and it's something you must do in order to advance. I'm glad that I dropped this piece of shit game because of this artificial difficulty bullshit.

How much longer until we see this unironically posted as "valid complaint" from modern hardcore gamers, Yea Forums?

Attached: Super Mario Bros. (W) [!]-1.png (256x240, 3K)

SMB3 is the definitive classic Mario game.

Never because people aren't as retarded as you'd like to think, you jaded fuck

You're joking but this part of the game was meant to kill you to teach you about dealing with enemies. That goomba has killed infinitely more players than any other single video game enemy in history, that much is a proven fact. Personally I think there are better tools than death that could be used to teach the player about the game, I'd prefer feeling like I overcame something through my intuition instead of through trial and error. DKC2 is my favorite game because of that design philosophy though

Nah, one of the best games of all time is S3&K

>has marble garden and carnival night

Attached: jose.png (576x600, 780K)

What do you mean? The levels are designed quite well. There's a decent amount of difficulty curve, enemies aren't placed in fucky ways, there are no invisible blocks that fuck you over. Design wise it's actually quite superb. Only downside is the cape makes it easy to cheese. But abstain from it and you aren't going to have a bad time.

>That goomba has killed infinitely more players than any other single video game enemy in history, that much is a proven fact.
How? My very first time playing the game I either jumped on him, or over him. I was like 5 or 6, and at least knew "Hey, don't touch this thing."

I really like how focused it is. Other platformers shove in so much crap that usually doesn't add to the core experience.

Carnival night is fine other than that one barrel everyone memes about, and I have never understood why people hate marble garden.

My best guess is that since in a lot of arcade and Atari games predating SMB, you had a single action button or in the case of cabinets actions being universal across several buttons. Some players probably pressed the run button, nothing happened and they died confused assuming that the other button held the same action.

Attached: jomp.png (500x740, 192K)

Once I get to world 8, it's all downhill from here.

>tfw horrible at platformers

No wonder I ended up playing mostly turn-based RPGs and shit. I even grew up with the Mario games, but I just could not get the movement system to click.

Attached: 1492475448813.jpg (400x400, 21K)

one of the most important, but far from one of the best.

You might be genuinely disabled dude. I've always considered turn-based RPGs to be the most boring, easiest genre in video games with a few exceptions. Platformers are one of my favorite genres but to me, they're only the bare minimum requirement of reaction times + memorization in the cognition department.

It was developped and published by nintendo, but produced by gunpei yokoi instead of miyamoto

i've heard that people can have different tastes and opinions

not on Yea Forums of course, where if you like something it's objectively good and if I like something it's objectively bad

but....elsewhere...

tastes and opinions =/= physical ability to play platformers

Then do tell me why it's only during last year or two people have started crying about figuring out to blow up the glass-tube in Super Metroid was "impossible to figure out by yourself"? Hell I have seen people complaining about wall jumping or having to run across certain platforms in SM being "bad game design" for NOT assuming the player is a retard that has to be hand held through the whole game.

Attached: O_RLY.jpg (313x287, 58K)

I'm not the guy you replied to, but it's funny you say the Super Metroid thing, because I can vividly remember renting that from Blockbuster when I was a kid, and I remember I thought that tube was horse shit. I don't know how I even found the answer to it back then. I probably called that Nintendo hotline. I remember calling it for Mystic Quest.... don't judge me.

>my very first time playing the game i either jumped on him, or over him
wow i wish i could remember my first time playing smb1.