Halo

Been replaying Halo 1, and it doesn't seem like the ring itself is ever really introduced in the beginning. The manual doesn't talk about it, and Keyes/Cortana are more focused on the Covenant battlecruisers during the intro. Why are they not more surprised to come across something like this? Why do they not seem to consider the possibility that it's a Covenant installation?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cj54KB0VE4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I agree, it's part of why when people say "hur halo 4 needs you to read the books" I roll my eyes, 1 and 2 did a ton of shit without explainijng it and expected you to just pick shit up as you went; at least 4 explained it's stuff on top of that in the terminals.

Not that 4's story wasn't shit, but "not explaining stuff" or "being book reliant" isn't the issue

Cause they have no other choice but to land on it. Sure the first halo doesn't really introduce the ring itself but the rest of the game is pretty solid when it comes to lore and all.

Maybe pillar or autumn has some sensors that know if the ring is safe to land on.

>what the fuck is that ring?
>idk but we're all about to die so let's land on it
>gather survivors to fight back the covenant, we need to get the fuck out of this place
>keyes got captured, we need to save him
>keyes got intel about the structure we're on, apparently it's a super powerful weapon
>okay change of plans, we need to destroy this ring before we leave
pay attention you fucking zoomers, this is literally all in-game and explained by the 3rd level

They don't actually know what the ring is for at the start of the game.

actually they try to get control of it to use against the covenant til cortana finds out what it does and you go lookin for da cap with the flood

>"Good to see you Master Chief, things aren't going well - Cortana did her best, but..."
>*Keyes looks directly at the camera*
>"what's really important is the backstory of this ring, it's like some kind of Halo™ (2001) available on Xbox"

Attached: 1556504379274.jpg (832x1000, 47K)

>Covenant fleet anticipated PoA arrival.
>Couldnt destroy single cruiser
How humanity was losing this war?

Attached: 15430559213820.png (645x729, 105K)

The The Flood: The elite in charge of the ships who had already arrived through slispace wanted to shoot down the PoA, but the prophet who also had authority refused in fear that stray shots might damage the ring

*Read the flood

Vadamee ignored that and ordered to fire anyway

I realize why they crash land, I'm just surprised there are no throw-away lines to settle audience doubts or questions, like "let's hope it's not crawling with Covenant troops", "it doesn't look like typical Covenant architecture", or "that's strange... the Covenant seem just as surprised as us to find this thing. Have we just stumbled across yet another alien race?". The first concrete line I think you're given is at the end of The Truth and Reconciliation, when Keyes mentions that he overheard the guards talking about the ring being a weapon, and that isn't really expanded upon.

Second guy is right, there is a little more to it - I understand the plot line, I'm just saying I'm surprised that they expect you to put so much time into the game without addressing the setting directly. It leaves the player wondering "so is this an alien base or what? Is no else curious about this? Did I miss something in the intro or the manual?".

Maybe Cortana was controlling the Pillar and handling the targeting, and ships didn't usually have access to a full AI like that? Not sure.

it gave the PoA enough time it wouldn't otherwise have thoug

Can they hurry up and put this on PC? It's bad enough they're releasing Reach first.

Attached: 1550867009466.gif (645x773, 22K)

>Fleeing Reach after its planetary-wide buttfucking by the Covenant
>Blind jump away
>Covenant fleet is there first because they tracked your jump and their ships are faster
>Can't destroy the Autumn for fear it could damage the Ring
>Board it instead
>Meanwhile everyone abandons ship and Keys nopes the fuck out of there with the Autumn because Cole Protocol

There really wasn't any time to figure out what the ring was with the Covenant extermination squad on their asses all the way from Reach. Any information on the Ring was gleaned immediately after crashing on it and realizing the Covenant had interest in it.

Attached: 345634687659.jpg (899x1200, 157K)

>It leaves the player wondering "so is this an alien base or what? Is no else curious about this? Did I miss something in the intro or the manual?".

No see the idea is that you ARE wondering. The idea is that you want to know more so you keep playing the game to find out. Sometimes not explaining everything right out the gate makes for a more compelling experience.

cortana literally says that on the second mission bro

Attached: cortana29.jpg (1125x750, 193K)

Halo 1 is already on PC user

based vadam

Right - I'm saying it's weird they don't even really mention the ring being a surprise to see.

I realize the player should wonder - it's strange that no other characters in-game seem surprised, because it makes the player wonder if they SHOULD be wondering, and that breaks immersion. The first big comment from Cortana on Halo is "hmm... this cave isn't a natural formation", when that's super obvious and, oh yeah, the cave itself is on a gigantic artificial ring floating in space and is in no way natural.

What does she say? I just read through the dialogue lines on that mission and I don't see anything substantial.

Let's see what should I be more worried about, the Covenant rearranging my anus or a massive space donut that could be a good place to hide from the aliens?

They're military. They're under direct fire from a vastly superior ship, and they were just given a giant life preserver. They had no choice but to go there and they had years and years of training/combat to not give a single moment of doubt or distraction get in the way of survival of you and everyone you have cared about.

>Why are they not more surprised to come across something like this?
They're somewhat surprised, I think. They don't really know what it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cj54KB0VE4A
"What is that thing, Lieutenant?"
"Hell if I know. But we're landing on it!"

But you're right that the game just expects you to roll with it. There's no time to wonder what the ring is because you're too busy shooting aliens.

Wut? Is pretending the game is totally different than it actually is the new zoomer criticism method? FFS what a shit site this has become.

Whenever the Covenant jobs, bet your bottom dollar it's because of "muh fragile sacred artifacts".
Reach would have just been them brute forcing their way through the MAC guns and glassing from orbit if it wasn't for the forerunnner shit on the planet.

Maybe the whole "random slipspace trajectory" was a lie, ONI has had a history of being shady and it wasn't the first time humans stumbled across Forerunner tech. Coincidentally, the PoA was to retrieve not only Cortana but also Noble team and Master Chief's team, maybe ONI thought the ring was an important Covenant asset or something that could have turned the tide of the war.

>Coincidentally, the PoA was to retrieve not only Cortana but also Noble team
Not canon

For the context of Halo 1 or the trilogy of course, but Reach retconned the whole lore (and the book).

as far as i remember the cortana noble six carries to the autumn was just a subrutine of her that halsey was using to store data on that forerunner thing you defended before, so yeah, the ring was proably a plan b of sorts.

Attached: Cortana28.jpg (1200x900, 839K)

Supposedly Cortana and Halsey gleaned the location of 04 from the Forerunner artifacts on Reach and the jump was not actually random.

At the very least Noble 6 was supposed to get on the PoA before he had to take the MAC gun.

343 did their best to make both canon with Operation RED FLAG (I think that’s what it was), if you just ignore dates it fits together fairly well.

>cortana28
gib folder faggot

Agreed

>At the very least Noble 6 was supposed to get on the PoA before he had to take the MAC gun.
I ignore Reach's existance and consider it a bad dream Chief had while in cryo either just before Halo 1 or after Halo 3.

So they kinda wanted to fill in that hole of Halo 1, but OP is right that in the game itself they don't address the ring.

10/10 underated comment

Take this unloaded pistol

Attached: 8fa.png (664x793, 60K)

What does it need to introduce? It's on the main menu, opening cinematic, in the sky box, it does enough. Do you need to be told "Chief there's a big ring out there. Not a donut either, a bit planet sized ring that appears to have geological formations on the inside of it, some kind of artificial ring-planet. Chief, there's a ring. It's a ring Chief. In space. That's why this is Halo™ Combat Evolved. Halo's are also rings."

Definitely where the game falls apart. What kind of half-loaded "I don't keep it loaded" is that shit?