Creator of Final Fantasy admits Dragon Quest is better

siliconera.com/2019/04/29/final-fantasy-vi-staff-talk-about-the-rivalry-with-dragon-quest-that-helped-the-series-grow/

Attached: 29DF2BEF-BBC2-4D07-B4A4-5F5C4304A78C.jpg (1242x1655, 723K)

He has been saying that for 3 decades

I don't see how really. Maybe it is true for every Dragon quest up to 5, but Dragon quest never really grew. 5 is pretty much the same thing as 11.
Final Fantasy at least evolved, it might not have been a good evolution, but it was an evolution.

Cope.

So what you're saying is that a good series stayed good while an inconsistent series got more miss than hit and that's better because it "evolved"? I'm sorry if this comes across as hostile but doesn't that just give more credence to what Sakaguchi's saying?

Classic western mentality

No, because being the same thing is extremely boring. I have only played 3 Dragon Quest games and I have literally no motivation to play anymore. It is the same thing over again and there is very little differentiation between titles.
At least Final fantasy attempts to change the formula even if it is for the worse. Stagnation is literally the worst thing you can do in a franchise.

Everyone already knew that.

I never cared for the pokemon style Dragon Quests, Final Fantasy was better for having solid party members with personality.

>I have only played 3 Dragon Quest games
If you actually played the games, you would know that they all are pretty different from each other outside of the combat, which even then changed elements almost every time.

>Final Fantasy at least evolved, it might not have been a good evolution, but it was an evolution.
Horrible mentality. This doesn't say anything good about the series at all, you've just found a polite way to say "it got worse".

>Nomura, one of the few members of the Squaresoft oldguard, admits that FF sucks now
>Sakaguchi, the creator of FF, admits that FF sucks now

Attached: 1521319820857.jpg (850x284, 106K)

>Final Fantasy was better for having solid party members with personality
This hasn't been true for almost a decade and a half.

But literally only DQV has monster capturing?

>playing for the story

Dragon Quest V wasn't anything revolutionary for its time though. The fact that the series never really progressed for DECADES is a mark against it.
Yeah FF floundered a lot but it floundered because it was constantly trying to innovate.

I bet you like soulless combat simulators like Bravely Default and Octopath, yikers.

>they all are pretty different from each other outside of the combat
oh you mean 90% of the game?
That isn't entirely true. Some of the newer Final Fantasy are great and surpass a lot of the old ones. They have just made some extremely bad hiccups like pre-A Realm Reborn 14 and 15.

>former DQ developer now leading Final Fantasy

Attached: FFXVI.png (1245x921, 1.4M)

VI has it too, I've only played like 4 of the games and both V and VI were two of them, VIII was best one I played

Sonic is better than Mario for trying to innovate.

Both have innovated

FFX is probably the best turn based system in both series. Being able to swap party members mid combat, the turn initiative for strategy and reasons to spec people into speed, the sphere grid.

I would even go on a limb and say the The Third Age, the Lord of the Rings FFX knock off, is better than most other DQ and FF games.

>japanese corporations value humility above all else and will talk up their competitors for the sake of being humble
Wow this is big news, never heard of this before. Definitely worth a shitposting thread.

Attached: 1540737087559.gif (250x188, 1.85M)

I bet you like virgin friend simulator like FFVII you sexless creature.

The interview is talking about that very early 90s period where FF3,4, and 5, while good games in their own right, were overshadowed by the releases of DQ4 and DQ5, each of them absolute peaks of the genre on their release. While working on FF6, the team had the feeling that even though the FF game would be better than the previous games, nothing they could do could compete with the inevitable DQ6 that would blow their game away along with everything else that came before it. Of course, as things fell out, DQ6 and DQ7 were a bloat messes of retreads memorable only for their insane length while FF6 and 7 took their place as the hallmarks of the genre.

ironically enough Dragon Quest is nowadays the most unique jRPG there is because everyone else moved on to shit-tier games while DQ remains the only 90s classic jRPG franchise.

When has Nomura said that?

Makes sense. FF was made as a last resort effort to stop the company going bankrupt. It was cobbled together and most likely DQ influenced a lot of the game.
This is coming from a FF fan that finds DQ boring

Thats not at all what hes saying you illiterate retard

DQ is the Call of Duty of the JPRGs