MGS: Portable Ops

>Metal Gear game not directed by Kojima
>Story, villain and the other characters are far better than in Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain
>Kojima not considers it canon

What did he means by this?

Attached: Metal Gear.jpg (640x466, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BZcrDhaphbQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIxX2ha5JU
youtu.be/2B7yLQV70e0
youtu.be/T-2YuPGYabw
youtu.be/N_-jyF987MQ
youtu.be/tNL_76gaCI4
youtube.com/watch?v=RzHhAcD8TS4
youtu.be/PXkgn3QUA2w
youtu.be/9Cy7E76mBL0
youtu.be/sdYFmnQGtbU
youtu.be/_wRFNeGCsrk?t=17
youtu.be/4ydMO_HpVD4
youtube.com/watch?v=PXkgn3QUA2w
youtu.be/1m4tYUfYCj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is your native language?

Kikongo

>the less a story has to do with Kojima, the better it is
news at 11

This game is garbage and so is Peace Walker

>SNAKE IT'S ME UR PARTNER, PINHEAD SNAKE, I AM ACTUALLY OVERHEATING AND NEED THIS SUIT THAT GIVES ME ICE POWERS TO LIVE
>OH I'M DEAD
>SNAKE IT'S ME SOKOLOV IT TURNS OUT I ACTUALLY SURVIVED
>OH I'M DEAD AGAIN
>SNAKE I AM A BLACK MAN ON A HOVER SCOOTER
>OH I'M DEAD
>SNAKE I AM A PSYCHIC SCHIZO GIRL WHO CAN SEE YOUR FUTURE
>OH I'M DEAD BTW YOUR KIDS FIGHT
>SNAKE I AM GENERIC ARMY MAN WHO HAS THE POWER OF SPEAKING REALLY GOOD AND ACTUALLY CAME UP WITH YOUR OUTER HEAVEN IDEA BEFORE YOU DID
>OH I'M DEAD BTW DON'T MAKE IT OBVIOUS WHEN YOU COPY MY HOMEWORK

I forgot
>SNAKE IT'S ME FRANK JAEGER, I HAVE AMNESIA AND AM BEING USED BY THIS MILITARY GROUP AS A SUPER NINJA NOT UNLIKE HOW I'LL BE USED IN THE FUTURE
>OW FUCK YOU SKIPPED MY BOSS FIGHTS BY USING THE SAA

The fact that they all die is hardly different from any other game in series. You can actually even save Pinhead by taking him out with the tranq gun instead, which is more than you can say for other bosses in the series, with the exception of Snake Tales.

But yeah, Gene's Outer Heaven, Sokolov's revival and the handling of Grayfox was really bad. But it's not like the games OP mentioned didn't have equally bad story elements. He should've included MGS4 also, that game probably had the worst writing of them all.

Not surprising, the best mgs games 1-3 had a co writer

Realtalk, even MGSurvive had a more cohesive story than most of Kojimbles plots. Shallow? Yes. But still enjoyable

Every MGS had a co-writer.

There was an MGS thread where one user proved that this 'co-writer' thing was total bullshit and he had almost no involvement. I'm not defending Kojima I'm just saying

The sequel was actually better because the devs figured out that people only cared about the online multiplayer. MPO+ also had Old Snake before MGS4 came out which was a pretty huge deal for me. The PSP during its peak is one of the comfiest memories of my life. Socom Fireteam Bravo 2 and MPO+ were my main rotations.

youtu.be/BZcrDhaphbQ

Attached: d16jcer-5582847c-1f04-429c-8f8f-438479494ca5.jpg (984x557, 115K)

Can you show the proof? I'm genuinely interested in finding out how much work was Fukushima's.

Attached: 1237770821-00.jpg (550x692, 123K)

Daily reminder that Kojima himself wanted to make a MG spin off about zombies
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIxX2ha5JU

Attached: 1552621213720.png (1000x1000, 216K)

I can't find it but as far as I remember he only wrote the codec calls for each game

Here are some MGS related videos if you're into the series, the first being a making of and the others being a well produced video commentary on the games, I would definitely recommend checking the latter out.

youtu.be/2B7yLQV70e0

youtu.be/T-2YuPGYabw

youtu.be/N_-jyF987MQ

Attached: MGS Canon.png (1280x1593, 768K)

It's not like proving things and posting facts matters on Yea Forums.

Check this meme out

Attached: MGS.jpg (1512x4448, 866K)

People act like the plot of MGS1-3 is something so groundbreaking that Kojima couldn't write it himself. What if he just could write a good story but then lost his touch after MGS3? It happens to everyone, it's hard to stay consistently good for decades

But who's to say that he didn't lose touch, but just lost an important co-writer that was a key factor in the writing of MGS? They say Fukushima's job was only codec-writing, but the credits of MGS1/2/3 label him as writer along side Hideo Kojima. Therefore he was involved with the story of MGS, but how much of it is unknown.

Attached: Untitled.png (1474x372, 185K)

What's Ghost Babel ? Is it any good ?

youtu.be/tNL_76gaCI4

Codecs are such an important part of Metal Gear that it would be fair if he was labeled as a writer just like Kojima. I see nothing wrong with this.

youtube.com/watch?v=RzHhAcD8TS4
Such great games with such great music.

>What if he just could write a good story but then lost his touch after MGS3?
He can't though. He just takes bits of films he likes and recycles them into a clusterfuck plots these games have. Sometimes it's shit movies like Mr & Mrs Smith in MGS4.

Post a link to the thread in the archive please.

The last time you'll ever hear the MGS theme we all know and love. How do you feel about the plagiarism?

>20fps

He was the co-writer AND he did the codec calls, when did this meme about him only doing the codec calls start? Pretty sure Kojima wasn't entirely uninvolved in the codec calls too, though we know Nastasha from MGS1 was very specifically Fukushima's mouthpiece character or something like that.

Also as another user said, yes there has always been multiple people involved in the writing of these games. I dunno if people are mixing up Kojima having greater overall control in the later games with thinking that he just did all the writing himself in the later games or what.

Learn fucking english.

The difference is that in PO, not a single character had any actual relevance beyond being a boss fight. No matter how core to PO's story they were presented as being, Viper, Gene, Ursula, Null, they had about as much importance as THE PAIN or one of the B&B Units as they all died just as plainly, and they had just as little influence in the series afterwards.

The entire cast of Portable Ops antagonists were meaningless in every regard, and they were written that way. It wasn't even a case of Kojima saying "let's just forget the San Hieronymo stuff." The writing itself was clearly made in a reticent way, the story trying to make as many cameos and references as possible without ever daring to encroach on the rest of the series. It made itself meaningless all on its own. If it had been more daring, if some of those characters actually survived and persisted, it could have been interesting to see how they'd be integrated into future plots.

The one impact that Portable Ops made was this fucking great song, though.
youtu.be/PXkgn3QUA2w

Why do people say it's not canon when it literally gets named dropped in the first 5 seconds of PW and thus makes it canon?

Disagree.
I like Portable Ops as a game but I think its story, characters, and writing in general are terrible. I couldn't care less about the retcons, but the setup is just not interesting and all the characters are so dry. It reads like a B-tier Hollywood action movie, played completely straight.

Attached: 1389082768336.jpg (478x426, 87K)

Yeah Im calling bullshit, in the promotion of the game he claimed to consult on it and that it is canon, so he can fuck off.

Tell me an opinion you have about the Metal Gear series.

Ghost Babel is a GameBoy Color Metal Gear.
Like a peculiar mixture of MG2+MGS1 in terms of gameplay and pacing/story. It's honestly really good.
It also has best girl.

Attached: Chris_Jenner.gif (194x372, 22K)

Where exactly?

youtu.be/9Cy7E76mBL0

Explain why Ghost Babel and AC!D forgotten shit when Fukushima wrote that himself without Kojima

>inb4 actuakky they are masterpieces LOL

8:20

Huh I just realized Spike Spiegel's English voice actor is in Peace Walker.

Attached: 1530219659_bang.gif (500x319, 950K)

Not him but I'm sure everyone on Yea Forums likes at least one Metal Gear game

Acid was pretty fun imo. However both games were forgotten because they were on handheld consoles. Less exposure.

Steve Blum is in literally everything. He's a god tier voice actor who actually has a fuckton of range, even if many studios have sort of typecasted him and want that "Spike" voice.

And then he changed his mind later on.

Ground Zeroes has that mini-game where you must locate and scan all the MGS titles that Kojima deems canon. Portable Ops is not considered one of the correct answers.

whats the middle game in the A canon?

Being angry over Sokolov living is pointless because it affects nothing in the continuity.
I'm not defending PO but just saying it's a knee jerk reaction to a glaring but meaningless retcon.

Huh Kaz actually does mention San Hieronymo. Guess that makes Portable Ops canon.

Attached: Portable-Ops.jpg (1024x768, 390K)

MGS3>MGS>MGS2>MGSV>MGS4
Fuck the mobile games.

He played Gene in PO too. He is (or was) everywhere

It's true. Fukushima wrote the whole plot for Metal Gear Ghost Babel and it's unironically one of the better games in the series.

Yeah but nothing in the game is contradictory or bad really. Seems like an egotistical thing to do afterwards, so I will go ahead and consider it canon.

It's not a game unfortunately. Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel. It's basically a retelling of MGS1. There's also a graphic novel for MGS2.

Attached: 51R8G93MR5L._AC_SX215_.jpg (537x930, 156K)

It's funny, actually. Out of all of the characters in PO, Sokolov is technically one of the more important characters, since RAXA was one of his and Granin's designs, unused in favor of the Shagohod.

Stop trying to warp things. He gets a full writer credit for every game he worked on. The story of MGS1-3 is as much his work as it is Kojima's.

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 34K)

He couldn't care less about what you think. As far as Kojima is concerned Portable Ops never happened. At most, "something" happened in San Hieronymo that neither Snake nor Kaz wants to talk about and will never be revealed in Kojima's cherry-picked continuity.

>this list does not include Zombie Themed Cashgrabs
That's just petty. Having to take a jab at it like that only gives it power and proves how anal devastated you are by its mere existence. Drinking poison, waiting for the other guy to die, etc.

>does not include comics

And also
>SNAKE HERE'S ALL THE MONEY GENERIC ARMY MAN HAD FOR YOU TO MAKE YOUR DREAM MERCENARY EMPIRE
>JUST KIDDING ENJOY YOUR LEAKY SHACK IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

That's what I thought too, but we can't know 100% whether he was credited as writer simply because of the codecs or because he actually co-wrote 1, 2, and 3 alongside Kojima.

Check this out if you haven't already. It's as close as we're going to get to an MGS remake.

youtu.be/sdYFmnQGtbU

Attached: MGS1 Unreal Engine Remake.png (1600x896, 1.39M)

>It's as close as we're going to get to an MGS remake.
user...

>gameplay was shit

I presume he means a remake that isn't MGS2 set in Shadow Moses like Twin Snakes was.

Please don't remind me of that game.

youtu.be/_wRFNeGCsrk?t=17

youtu.be/4ydMO_HpVD4

mgs has such a fun narrative, and this is why a good remake would still be enjoyable to this day

Ok I'll try it then.

I hope to wake up one day and see Konami announcing a remake for Metal Gear 1, it makes sense chronologically speaking since it happens after The Phantom Pain.

>Explain why normalfags have terrible taste and ad populum is a terrible form of argument
I don't know man you tell me.

Or the picture was made before "Metal Gear" Survive existed. Neck yourself, Konami-san.

Why are we still here, just to suffer?

Attached: NhZL3E4waWcMtaoawna5fi.png (1917x962, 2.32M)

Was my first mgs and the sole reason I had a psp, played through it some 30 times. Also has the objectively best vocal song.
youtube.com/watch?v=PXkgn3QUA2w

Attached: d5j116w-4c4b7595-6826-4b5b-8c4b-7ea71444605f.jpg (1920x1080, 1.29M)

Attached: Kojima.png (1280x720, 578K)

>Story, villain and the other characters are far better than in Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain
No.
Neither should you. PW contradicts it pretty hard in ways that are impossible to reconcile.

>remake

Attached: 1556181587168.png (526x371, 310K)

>Also has the objectively best vocal song.
Nope, this is the objectively best vocal song.

youtu.be/1m4tYUfYCj4

RIP Carla White.

>bought PO+ thinking it was just PO but better
>there is no story
>no cutscenes
>just pure "dragging soldiers around" gameplay
I did put a hell of a lot of hours into it but I was still a bit disappointed. One of my favorite things to do was to skip after-school study hall in high school and walk around the entire building with the wifi scan recruiting thing going. My grades might have sucked but at least my Mother Base was God-tier.

>Yeah but nothing in the game is contradictory
Nothing about Ocelot's encounter with the DCI in PO makes sense when you consider Coldman, Gene's deathbed generosity becomes very paltry when you remember MSF is a handful of guys and a shack in PW, and the game seems to completely ignore PO's Metal Gears when it comes to ZEKE.
>or bad really.
Agree to disagree, I guess. Gene and Null are egregiously awful and lazy.

Null was an insult to Frank Jaeger's character from MG2 and MGS1.

>Konami: "LOL let's make him an emotionally-stunted retard. It's not like people remember him for anything but being that ninja, right?"

A lot of the fundamental story stuff that makes Metal Gear what it is is in MG2, which Fukushima wasn't around for. His absence after MGS3 probably had an impact, but I think the state of the series itself (and Kojima straining against it) is what's more important.

I bought it used only to find PO+ inside the PO case. Bastards.

Kojima is overrated but PO isn't that good desu.

Is that the one with the poor man's Liquid Snake or was it Peace Walker? Probably the floppiest villain if Skullface didn't exist.

Yeah, it was just incredibly lazy. I liked his design but aside from that it was a huge misstep.

Multiplayer was fun but you needed to slog through the dragging gameplay to get decent soldiers.

Peace Walker a shit. Portable Ops is more fun. I don't know how anyone could give two shits about the story in either game

>Skullface
Skullface sucks as far as plot involvement goes (simply because he's so absent) but on a thematic level I don't think he's too bad.

The gameplay was hot garbage though.
Peace Walker nailed the gameplay (for portables at least)

I loved being able to play as some of my favorite characters, even if I had better soldiers. PO+ had some great online.