Why did Japan stop making unique experimental games?

Why did Japan stop making unique experimental games?

Attached: chulip.jpg (240x240, 27K)

Stopped selling.

>spend 500.000$ making weird creative game
>earn 20.000$
>spend 300.000$ in mainstream type game
>earn 1.000.000$

Anime tiddies sell better since horny otaku and gaiin weebs will buy anything that tingles their dingle.

They didn't, you just started dismissing them as weebshit.

they don't anymore?

Attached: Secret of Evermore-190112-211017.png (1440x1080, 55K)

Man, this game is such a pain in the ass if you don't use a walkthrough. I want to love it, but it's just so unforgiving and has you stop and wait much too often. Chulip needs a remake or sequel very badly.

Because nobody bought them.

If I'm not wrong, the game's manual is literally a guide/walkthrough with hints to finish it. I don't think you're supposed to beat it with no help at all. It would drive a person crazy to keep up with everyone's schedules.
I just abused save states as I emulated it.

They didn't really stop, just an economic crisis and a centralization of the industry happened both in Japan and in Europe/USA with the massive rise in production costs due to HD graphics and the expectations that came with them, first in tabletop consoles and then elsewhere (DS was the last console that had a consistent stream of this kinda games for this reason, with the 3DS people kinda stopped making 2D games massively). Less people making them, but also less people translating them, which is why it seems they disappeared overnight.

Attached: 610ub6nZHzL.jpg (500x455, 80K)

they don't make anime tiddie games anymore either.

I have it downloaded, so I didn't know that about the manual being like that. Maybe there won't be any shame to using a walkthrough on this one.

No shame at all. The game really is unique from start to end so it would be a shame to miss out on it

>Anime tiddies sell better

Even I know that it is fucking bullshit, they sell not even half million if they are popular franchises and even less if they super niche shit like tiddie ninjas

Attached: 1497219995783.jpg (1920x1080, 273K)

is that Moon RPG translation finished yet?
didn't the lead guy working on it say that it was almost done months ago?

Because Sony sold out to garbage AAA western devs starting with the PS3 era which only leaves Nintendo for experimental Japanese vidya where they are also forced to deal with either a device gimmick or being over shadowed by first party games. This was also before the entire industry became formulaic and safe as a whole

You know you should buy the Chulip dev's newest game, Black Bird, right? It's on PC and Switch. Its pretty fun and the ost is straight out of Chulip.

-rather, the OST will remind you of Chulip, except more demented. Great sprite work too.

Hey thanks. Didn't know this existed and was translated.

does pac man 2 count

Attached: Pac-Man 2 - The New Adventures-190125-212159.png (1440x1080, 27K)

>generic schump

No thanks. I want something unique again like Chulip. But I know its never happening again.

because it doesn't sell
what's the point of making new and interesting things when people won't bother giving them a chance? your best bet is to look for indie games for that sort of thing.
nintendo's sort of trying to do it still with stuff like splatoon and ARMS but you're probably not looking for big studio stuff

Attached: 1543949422719.jpg (500x389, 17K)

Hmm. I played Dandy Dungeon, but it felt too 'mobile' for my tastes. It definitely had soul, though.
For those who don't know, the people who made games like Moon RPG and Chulip are now the company known as Onion Games.
Like user said I wish they'd make a proper full fledged game again.

Attached: aEPT0sT.jpg (4320x2560, 791K)

Because not even Japan bought this weird niche shit. Posting Chulip is a quaint example. The devs, Punchline, splintered from another fringe arthouse dev called Love de lic, which fathered it as well as skip Ltd and Vanpool, which then splintered to route24. Their games do so poorly they have to restart companies all the time. These are mostly former Square employees who were too snobbish for corporate entities. You can see a familiar throughline through most of their games: Weird speech language (consistent Tanaguchi friend contract work to compose), a loose life sim structure with RPG elements and narrative. Chulip, Chibi Robo, Moon Remix RPG, Captain Rainbow, Endonesia, its all the same thing. These guys were the original Steam indie hipsters before Steam was even a thing, although some of their games are actually interesting and a food for thought. My personal favorites are LOL Lack of Love and UFO A Day in the Life.

>Check the store page
>The protagonist died before the game even started

These devs are seriously a one-trick pony, christ. I mean, it was a heck of a reveal in Rule of Rose, and it was pretty creepy figuring out this is what was going on in Chulip, but christ, stop doing it everytime.

>director of Chulip directed Little King's Story

Huh. Might replay it, how's the Steam version?

wut. that never happened in chulip

games are too expensive to make now unless you limit yourself, but no one buys a shitty looking game any more no matter how good it secretly is.

Dude, it's pretty clear you died crossing the street, your dad is god (but they call him the principal), and the teachers are angels, trying to get you caught up on the whole "life" thing you missed out on by dying so early. The Girl of Your Dreams is dead, too. All the other humans are fake, though. Don't even get me started on the stuff like that existential horror factory.

fucking tower of druaga reference

Attached: 1527353262128.jpg (2460x3280, 2.32M)

Déraciné was the chance for weird Japanese adventure games to make a comeback, but no one bought it

Why make a unique and creative game when a shitty gacha you can make in a week will attract a few whales?

Indie games do that now.

It's a fun creepy theory but I don't buy it. I mean, I could be forgetting but there is no indication of any of this in the game. It literally is the first time I hear this and I've read several articles about Chulip... there's even an actual dead character, that Zombie Maki or whatever her name was. The factory workers is just some criticism against soulless corporation jobs. I actually really liked that part when the guy just goes back to playing music on the street, he is poor but happy.