Best sonic game ever is made by fans

>best sonic game ever is made by fans
is the sonic team really this dumb ?

Attached: sonic mania.jpg (460x215, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WgPIR89oYdg
youtube.com/watch?v=TdC9wV0N15A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>is water wet?

That's not Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Without Sonic Team Mania would never came out aniway.

Sorry, everyone is too busy talking about the movie right now. We discussed the game plenty recently tho.

Maybe it's just me, but both will always share the throne for me. I can't simply pick only one in good faith.

both are great

Well Sonic Team is always trying to modernize the formula while Mania, which is great, is still basically just the old formula with a few tweaks. Realistically speaking, if there wasn't a mountain of shit between the early Sonic games and Mania, no one would give a fuck about it. If Mania is the pinnacle of Sonic games, then there really shouldn't be any more Sonic games ever again. Just keep playing all the old ones.

Mania would be at S3&K if it was a whole new game full of new stages. But journos would shit on it for not being the 90% rehash that actually is.

It did old stages with pretty new ideas though

I get that, but it was still fun for what it did. The devs at least tried their best with how much they were forced to reuse.

That's not Sonic Riders 1&2

youtube.com/watch?v=WgPIR89oYdg
>Suggests the best course for sonic is to be completely redesigned from the ground up to be a generic indieshit platformer
>Sonic Mania comes out basically just doing the shit that worked in previous games, gets to be the first truly critically acclaimed sonic game in forever and completely proves him wrong

>That's not Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Because Sonic 3 Meme expansion isn't better than Sonic Mania Plus

Basically this.
They praise Mania for 'What is Not' instead for 'What it actually Is'.

What is Sonic Mania?: An anniversary game made by the best part of the Fan community from Sonic Retro colaborating for the fist time with Sega/Sonic Team.

What's Sonic Mania praised for isntead?:
- ''Muh Classic fat little Sanic of muh chilhood''
- ''No muh Sanic shitty devianart OCs furry fest''

The day they make a Sonic Mania 2 completely full of new stages and characters, theyr'e gonna throw shit on it.

Well I sure fucking won't at least.

But Sonic Mania is mostly rehashing and a shorter game.
At least the best thing of it is that they brought back Mighty and Ray and retconed ''Sonic 4''

Sonic Mania is like when you really fuck up and buy your wife flowers to say sorry.

So good news, Sega owes us another bouquet.

Maybe it's just me but am I wrong to think people get too worked up over the rehash thing? Yes a fully original game would have been objectively better but I still had a lot of fun with what I was given. Celebration games can still be fun, and if you ask me, I feel like this complaint more so stems from just how jaded people have grown towards Green Hill, so i'm glad it gets out of the way fast.

Sonic Mania was still pretty long all things considered, at least longer than standalone Sonic 3, and I really don't mind the rehashing that much as old stages get fused with new ideas and such.

Except every stage is refleshing because the old ones have new mechanics and different second acts with a different approach and the new ones aren't only 100% new but far better than any other zone in a Sonic game, not to mention the multiple characters and extra stages mini games. 3&K has more zones, that's all, it's worse in every other aspect

Reminder that this is how all future 2D Sonic games should play like.

youtube.com/watch?v=TdC9wV0N15A

You're not wrong about that

Sonic Forces could of actually been a good game if there weren’t three new and inexperienced level designers on the project.

the super peel out is redundant with the spin dash and the insta shield is useless

>insta shield is useless
In mania it’s less useful because there’s a good amount of enemies and bosses not made for it. But it’ll always be inherently useful because it’s free invulnerability frames

Speaking of which, where's the new Sonic game? Did Mania demoralize Sonic Team so much they are silently pulling out of making mainline games?

Why didn’t sega just let Whitehead make a 100% new sonic game?

Probably wanted to test him first? Dunno.

Iizuka confirmed the next mainline game started development at SXSW

Pretty sure the returning/new zone ratio was widely agreed to be one of the worst things about this game

Both wrong. Peel out is faster and insta shield at least gives invulnerability and a slightly extended hitbox for offensive purposes.

The point is that Sonic should have more than just the spindash and dropdash abilities. At the very least instashield and dropdash should be allowed simultaneously from now on since it improves the game and they both compliment each other.

What do you mean by 100% new?

Oringinally whithead pitched a new 2d sonic game consisting entirely of original zones

Nothing but new levels instead only 4 new zones on top of 8 old ones.

Sort of...originally Mania was just going to be console ports of his remakes of Sonic 1 & 2 with 4 new levels as a bonus and then Iizuka decided to make it a full game instead, that's why we got returning locales. Maybe it really does mean a sequel will be all original with this knowledge in mind.

False, he pitched a game with 4 zones(the new zones we saw in the game) and Iizuka suggested to bring back older ones to make the game longer.

Sonic Team is has some talent, but the people in charge are the big issue. Kishimoto is trash as a director and Colors was 100% a fluke on his part. Iizuka is burnt out as indicated by him stepping down from his normal Producing role and other higher-ups seem directionless on where to go for Sonic and what steps to really take.

So basically the rehashed zones was whitehead's idea and not SEGA's?
Again, I really don't mind the rehashed zones, considering new shit is added to them to keep them fresh from their original counterparts.

hydrocity act 1 ruins the game
prove me wrong

Sonic mania is great but people are memeing it too hard. Level design isn’t that great, bosses suck, relies too much on old stuff. I want a real sonic 4 as would have been on the saturn

I play the game to completion regardless.

>Colors was 100% a fluke on his part.
From what I understand he came in very late on that project. Even then it was still pretty mediocre overall.

I guess you could say it was a little bit of both their ideas.
what's wrong with the level design?

Older sonic games differentiated the routes you could take. For example a higher path might have more challenging platforming and a lower one a specific stage gimmick etc.
All manias levels feel the same no matter where you are in the level

not him but too much of it is automated and just ends up wasting your time
look at something like titanic monarch, there's a million of those bumper sections and springs that just mindlessly bounce you through everything and those retarded double rails that are completely pointless
every zone has shit like that and it makes it feel like a romhack

Hmm.. I never got that vibe myself whenever I played it but alright I suppose.

not him and not a "sonic expert" by any means, but the difficulty spikes at titanic monarch zone. when there are 12 zones there is no excuse to have a difficulty spike, plenty of game to build up the difficulty properly

Bait thread

Colors strikes me as something that was the right call to make at the time, but not the right path to follow for future games.

Well, nothing's perfect I guess

Nobody is saying mania is bad, it’s still the best sonic game for a long time. It just could be better, and I hope the inevitable sequel improves. I’m sure after this experience evening star have gained a lot of skills

Do you think it's taking so long for a new Sonic because they're finally moving on from Boost to Win gameplay?

I hope so too, user.

Lmao SEGA will fuck it up
Wether is be deadlines or forcing shit into the game/ taking creative control, they can’t help it

I used to like it but it became popular so now I can see its flaws and will belittle anyone who enjoys it

I like the game.

>see its flaws
Fair enough
>belittle anyone who enjoys it
Hey now, that's just not cool.

I bet you also like Warioware fucking retard.

Is there anyone out there who could make a good “3D” mania?

If you play the proto type windy hill for SA1 it’s almost like a classic level in 3d. Too bad sonic team said “fuck this” because it didn’t have enough epic railroad segments

I would say Murasaki, but mentioning any project with Lange involved is forbidden here.

Oh.

Attached: sadcat.jpg (1024x768, 137K)

Mania isn't the best though, Sonic 2 and 3 are far better because they have far more originality

You don’t get any credit for copying half of the game from other, better games. All the original levels were bad

Sonic Team is forever imcompetent. No matter what happpens they will fuck it up.
>add a bunch of characters in heroes
>replaying is a chore

>try to make things edgy
>shadow's levels and controls sucks

>try to be serious
>06 happens

>lets get rid of sonics friends, they're the reason sonic sucks
>sonic and the waggle rings

>boost sonic gameplay is good
>werehog stages make up half of unleashed

>attempts at nostalgia
>sonic 4 physics suck, everyone eventually gets tired of green hill zone

>achieve something alright with colors and generations
>shoehorn wisps and classic sonic in lost world and forces which end up sucking.

>try to reboot
>made it a wii u exclusive and fuck up the entire game. Not that it was going to be good on ps4 or PC anyway.

>attempt a serious story again in forces with an addition of classic sonic, and an OC
>infinite was a nobody, classic sonic's physics suck again, all the stages are too easy boost2win beatable with one hand, OC just plays as sonic but with a wisp gun

Mania comes in and blows everything sega made out of the water. fuck sonic team.

Attached: 1539324185734.jpg (389x366, 53K)

Don't take him too seriously. Wanting to belittle fans of a game just because it's popular says enough about him as it is.

Not really. They all go through the same motions in terms of theme and biomes.

>>boost sonic gameplay is good
Have you played unleashed? It isn’t. Soni’s Handling is ass and you have no time to react to anything. Not to mention the day stages barley run on the 360/ps3

Is it just me or were people more welcoming of the returning levels prior to release? Just feels like it's gotten worse since then. Everyone describes it like they're one to one the same layouts when... They really aren't. It may not be the best sonic game ever, but I saw first-hand how much hype the game generated around here back in 2016-2017 despite its nature, they felt like better times.

>see 3:19
>mfw

Attached: 1539583610245.jpg (477x699, 20K)

I seriously think the best thing for Sonic to do now is do for Adventure formula what mania did for classic formula, along with more levels like prototype windy valley.

So make Sonic Adventure 2 again only with levels from Sonic Adventure 1.

We’re not getting new Sonic Mania sequel info until 2021, are we :^/

Video games take time user

I think it has a lot to do with what people realize was the missed potential.
There’s gonna be idiots who say Green hill zone is 1:1 or just get really angry at seeing chemical plant again when they’re absolutely not the same but then you have to understand that the 4 new stages were really REALLY good.

There has never been a level as beautiful and creative like Press garden. We’ve never seen a level deviate between characters like Mirage saloon when it comes to sonic/tails and Knuckes. And titanic monarch was that solid of a final level compared to every other final level, even compared to Sonic 3K. The potential those few levels shown makes even the most solid of the reimagined levels seem trivial. People would lose their fucking minds if all the zones were just new ones of the same quality as the 4.

>is the sonic team really this dumb ?
Part of it is that SEGA as a whole are still retarded and the only reason you get anything good from them is from dev teams that know what they're doing. But that leads into the second part: no, Sonic Team don't know what they're doing. How can they when 95% of the team has rearranged to the point that all the competent people left the team or company altogether years ago and they're literally shuffling in new hires like an expendable work camp?

Attached: 16703344817400184832_20190428164026_1.png (1920x1080, 345K)

It's a great game, but S3&K has its flaws too

>Sonic mania is great but people are memeing it too hard. Level design isn’t that great, bosses suck, relies too much on old stuff. I want a real sonic 4 as would have been on the saturn
so like S3&K?

>it became popular so I don't like it and have bring up and accentuate the flaws
typical Yea Forums mentality

Well it's not like Sonic 2 was that hard either, until suddenly the Death Egg throws you at two bosses in a row with zero rings and extremely precise jumps over spike hands (that Knuckles in lock-on basically cannot do) being required to kill the final boss in a reasonable time frame.