Listen you fucking retards...

Listen you fucking retards. GaaS is not the same as always online and most complaints about GaaS are actually about Always Online.

GaaS is about have a single master game that gets all updates, with all players having access to the same gameplay content. Any new content gets added to the master game. This is good because all players are on equal footing, with everyone having access to the same version and gameplay content at any given time. You aren't shafted every year or two by a new release that resets and fragments the entire playerbase. A lot of GaaS games are always online, but some are not as they have community servers, mod tools / SDK etc.
>PoE, TF2, WoW, CSGO, LoL, HotS, QC etc are all GaaS.
>Battlefield, Fifa etc are not GaaS.

Always Online is about always being connected and the community having no control over the servers. Once the servers are gone, the game is finished. There's also no way to play LAN because of no local connection support, no mod support or community servers because server binaries are private and no offline mode.

Attached: wow.png (247x265, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/l8IP3S8dxU8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck does gaas even mean

Games as a Service

GaaS the kikes.

Tl;dr who gives a flying fuck you geek

>GaaS games are always online, but some are not as they have community servers, mod tools / SDK etc.
>proceeds to name several games that don't have these features because they don't exist
b8

service culture is fucking trash, neoliberals should be genocided
kill yourself

A game getting updates does not make it a service you drooling troglodyte.
Am I being trolled currently in this moment right now?

Attached: 1515360977273.png (382x291, 154K)

>Continuing a petty argument from a former thread by starting another thread

How the fuck could you play TF2, WoW, CSGO, LoL, HotS or QC without servers you brainlet?

TF2 and CSGO, faggot.
>A game getting updates does not make it a service you drooling troglodyte.
Not what I said fucking retard.
Re-read the OP you fucking retard, you've clearly missed the point.

If it dies, it dies.

>Always Online is about always being connected and the community having no control over the servers.
So they're always online and NOT GaaS. I see.

Some games have all the required data to run the game as long as you have the server just to connect the players. That's why you can have for example Diablo 2 private servers without issues, or connect by LAN. The game just works. Other games, like Diablo 3 in this example, have most of the data stored on central server and you would have to write your own code to make the game work on private server. The same goes for WoW - you have tons of private servers, but without official server data a lot of stuff is very buggy, and even ass old vanilla/TBC/WotLK emulators still aren't 100% accurate, not even close to 100% for stuff that isn't core game/class mechanics, raids, and main quest zones.

GaaS them all

Neither of those are service games. They're normal games with updates and the tools you listed earlier, numbnuts.
Quit choosing to be wrong and stupid.

Meant for

I always thought games as a service was about games that you don't own but instead subscribe to, such as Xbox game pass or ps now? What are those called then?

>gas
BRRRAAAPPP

Attached: 1472753858349.gif (800x800, 676K)

Subscription based rentals.

You're a fucking faggot, a kike enabler, and I hope you get AIDS. That's not what people mean when they say games as a service.

With bots, idiot.

who cares, both are cancer
s**e

Of course they are service games you fucking moron. They fit the exact definition of a service game.
What they don't fit the definition of is "Always online" you dumb faggot fuck.

More b8

Not an argument. I'm glad you concede.

yes we all saw the video that one neckbeard made and there's no reason to literally parrot him word by word on Yea Forums

>there's no reason to literally parrot him word by word on Yea Forums
??????????????????
I'm right and he's wrong how the fuck am I parroting him

I'm only familiar with WoW but how does it qualify here? "all players having access to the same gameplay content. "
This isn't true, players who spend more money get access to more gold, bonus mounts, pets and transmog items.
Level playing field my fucking ass.

I know WoW players are low IQ but holy shit you're fucking retarded. It wasn't a comment on balance or "pay to win". Analyse what you're reading for 5 seconds before announcing to this board how stupid you are.

Gaas the kikes

So according to you Witcher 3 is GaaS?
Are you retarded?

Why not call it actual GaS, Games as Services. lol

test

hey look papa corpo is paying shills to "educate" the customers on Yea Forums now.
Totally legit. Totally not enslavement tactics.

No, but please show me how the fuck you came to that conclusion so I can laugh at you

You already know how Ross defines it which is what you're obviously talking about. He lays it out plainly in his video. Nobody really cares if you have a definition that differs from his because arguing semantics is exhaustingly pointless and you aren't as important as you think you are. Only thing that matters in the discussion he was having is whether or not you find any contentions with the types of practices he outlined.

>>PoE, TF2, WoW, CSGO, LoL, HotS, QC etc are all GaaS.
>>Battlefield, Fifa etc are not GaaS.
am I being trolled? should be the other way around

It's not semantics when you have two entirely different words that have entirely different meanings being used interchangably. It shows you clearly have zero understanding on the subject and shouldn't be discussing it.

I clearly defined what GaaS is. How the fuck did you come to that conclusion?

it's just a buzzword

Take that up with whoever coined SaaS

either bait, corp shill or just a flagrant contrarian retard

GaaS is when a game requires communication with a "service" to work properly. It's in the fucking name. Try being less retarded next time.

>Games where the main focus is MO and running on company servers is not as bad as Games as a service because they are always online

>Majority of games listed also have bad developers who have a bad habit of robbing you of a full priced game for saying words or doing stuff, made in game, that hurts other people feelings

>Some how this isn't just as bad

Attached: gsxpoop stances.jpg (300x57, 3K)

youtu.be/l8IP3S8dxU8

Thread theme

contrarians among us

GaaS is a scam. Stop killing games.

Attached: 1492752644018.jpg (1270x719, 331K)

Always online is a big ass scam too, WTF.
Theres people on Yea Forums defending this shit now?

I don't actually know what "games as a service" means.

Priced and fully paid for games that can be rendered useless at any given time by the developers.

GAS GAS GAS

IM GONNA STEP ON THE GAS

No, you listen you here you little shit.

The whole *aaS discourse is centered around cloud computing. SaaS, PaaS, IaaS. The entire point of these concepts is that you, as the customer, don't have to bother installing and maintaining whatever it is you're buying. It's not SaaS if you're downloading and installing the software and running it on-premise.

Now, I don't see any fucking reason for """"GaaS"""" its own non-academic definition that has nothing to do with the existing *aaS discourse. If you're installing it and playing it offline, it's not *aaS the way it is currently defined in the academia. Streaming games on the other hand would be GaaS and streaming games is retarded and won't work any time soon if ever unless you literally live in the Google headquarters with your meme console.

Attached: feab9c.jpg (269x348, 19K)

This
GaaS :
>Need internet to access the full game
Always Online without GaaS :
>Need internet to access the game's official server
>Can be played offline in single player or in LAN

This entire "games as a service" garbage is all about company's trying to force the idea that you don't own your games. "The games are a service. You buy a license but you don't own anything. They're not products to be kept and access can be revoked at any time at our discretion." That's the shit they want you to believe and they enforce that mainly through DRM and always online requirements.

>It's not SaaS if you're downloading and installing the software and running it on-premise.
You are objectively fucking wrong. There are *aaS solutions you can run on-site.
GaaS isn't "Always online", they are completely different phrases. GaaS is purely a service model for games, it is not synonymous with "Always online".

Provide me with an actual scientific journal article that supports whatever your definition of SaaS is because you are going against the actual consensus here.

I'm against the consensus? In what fucking reality? Pretty much every *aaS solution has an in-house option somewhere.
Why the fuck post if you know absolutely fucking nothing about what you're talking about?

Attached: DumbFaggotKnowsNothing.jpg (386x378, 21K)

Games as a Service is a model in which the developer treats the "game" as a platform on which they provide services, such as game modes, maps, campaigns/stories, cosmetics, boosters, lootboxes etc. It's a business term to describe shifting the development focus from the actual game towards additional to-be-added-later services. A concept that also goes hand in hand with the idea of minimum viable product.
Being always online is generally a necessity of the business model, but not in any way the aim of it.

GaaS is perfectly fine.

IF it's DRM free, and doesn't require online except for the initial download.
The client stores are very convenient, but you never actually "own" a copy of a game.
You "own" a license to play that can be revoked practically whenever the store desires to do that.
While that is almost better than the CD/DVD-based DRM garbage publishers attempted in the early 00s, it's still garbage, and consumer-fiendish.

You still haven't provided any kind of definition for what you're arguing about. The entire argument is about semantics and if you're going to be arguing semantics you should be trying to define whatever construct you're talking about.

Whether one company understands the meaning of the words they use or not has absolutely no bearing on this.

Dumbass, you cant possibly enforece the single game master update if the game doesnt requires always online.
You are creating a false dicotomy, trying to split 1 thing into 2

And providing community servers and mod tools dont change any of that. I cant legally own a copy of vanilla tf2.