myhentaicomics.com/index.php/How-To-Drain-A-Robot
twitter.com/nicalis/status/1112841188619374592?lang=en
youtube.com/watch?v=op8FRV-hyO4
jenkasnightmare.srb2.org/
github.com/Clownacy/Cave-Story-Mod-Loader/releases
youtu.be/nGV0k73vaDI
youtube.com/watch?v=VFTszPDTEr8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, one of the first (if not the first) indie hit.

first and last good game with platforming elements.

still in my top 5

Attached: 1424543290233.jpg (1162x1500, 991K)

Yes. And it's FREE, that's how you know it's a passion project.

yeah I got it for free on my hacked 3DS lmao

No. It's not old enough. Classic is like 25yrs. At least for cars.

Attached: images (4).jpg (225x225, 14K)

Pretty much. When indie games were just called freeware.
I still replay Cave Story once every year or so.

Making you go through the stupid-ass sanctuary (fucking rng falling block room) every time you fail the final bosses is a supreme dick move

But can you a mimiga?

It’s literally the secret hell level, and it isn’t even that tough once you get the pattern down. Git gud

WHOA THEIR BOYO
DONT BE POSTIN NO "MEEMEE" GAMES IN THIS HERE BOARD OR ELSE YOU MIGHT BE ASKIN FOR TROUBLE
HOO BOY

Attached: Man of integrity.png (640x478, 431K)

did you post in the wrong thread or something? also, stop calling people "boy", you autist

Attached: original_result.png (512x512, 396K)

Depends on your definition of classic. If you mean masterpiece, then yes.

If this game came out today this board would hate it.

I played this game three times and I still fucking hating that level.
It really piss me off that shit, but at the same time is the reason that is my favorite indie game.

Attached: A fact.png (976x256, 14K)

Cave story isn't a classic
Cave story is THE classic

I feel like Yea Forums gravitates towards indie passion projects pretty well. Just look at how well HK threads do on this board. The game would be received totally different if cave story plus came out and the original never existed. That game is unironically soulless.

Absolutely.
It's my favorite game of all time, I replay it every year and it never gets old.
also quote is cute

Attached: nightmargin quote poster.png (1113x1421, 307K)

>every year
step up your game. When I was in my prime, I would replay it at least once every 2 months.

Misery best girl

Attached: Misery.png (191x191, 1K)

my favorite game of all time

Attached: cavestory.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Damn you got a point, opening it up again right now

Attached: nightmargin qt.png (432x980, 129K)

What the fuck am I looking at here? Why is Curly fat and twice as tall as Quote?

We remember it 15 years later for a reason

Attached: cave-story-win-ingame-73624.png (640x480, 26K)

Quote is a god damn chad. Kicks ass and got all the girls falling for him.

>tfw quote will never ever be in smash
it hurts

Attached: 357.jpg (552x472, 52K)

Attached: curly kawase.jpg (2372x1344, 738K)

*cough*

Attached: 65367897725.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

ehhhh I would say 90% of cave story discussion isn't about the actual game....
>50% is FUCK Nicalis
>20% Man this game really was the first REAL indie game(despite the fact that this is a blatant lie since shit like Touhou predates it by nearly a decade)
>20% Quote is cute/Curly is cute/would you a Mimiga?
>10% actual game discussion

Based, I was just playing the game myself.

Yes, but Nicalis is a fuckawful company and all of their ports of Cave Story are inferior to the original.
Kero Blaster is also a better game.

Attached: curlysleep.png (469x421, 12K)

technically not true, but it really doesn't matter what girl you pick in cave story.

Attached: Screenshot_183.png (196x186, 47K)

agree with basically everything. If I get could get the original Cave Story to run perfectly on my pc, I would not buy another nicalis port ever again.
Kero Blaster is just as good as Cave Story, but its breadth of ideas don't quite match Cave Story's which is partially why I like CS more

one more fuck nicalis, never buy the switch port

>If I get could get the original Cave Story to run perfectly on my pc, I would not buy another nicalis port ever again.
What's wrong with it? It's supposed to run at 50FPS, you know.

I always like to talk about the Wind Fortress whenever I find a Cave Story thread, because it's my favorite level and has a kickass theme. Unfortunately nobody else has ever played the Wind Fortress. Maybe if I mention the primary enemies are naked Curly clones they'll play it?

Reminder that this is official art

Attached: 1524815909650.png (189x255, 14K)

Reminder if you played the game after nicalis story you lost.

> If I get could get the original Cave Story to run perfectly on my pc
you just download the translated version from cavestory.org and run the game. Recommended you change the settings to play in windows 640x480 mode. That's literally it, it works on everything.

Redpill me on Nicalis and why they're so bad

they're just gay and are fucking up umihara kawase fresh and sold people a free game

I played Cave Story on a Windows XP machine with 512MB of RAM like god intended.

mostly just occaisional frame drops, and I barely notice frame rate, but I did mod it to be 60 fps since I thought that might help the problem. Running it in windows 7 compatibility mode seems to help a bit. It will weirdly slow down in large areas with paralax like Mimiga Village. Scrolling isn't smooth (that might be the main issue, the lag isn't that unbearable once I switched it to compatibility mode).
I'll try that
>Reminder if you played the game after nicalis story you lost.
wtf does that mean?

I own a copy of Cave Story 3D, ask me anything

goofy translation, generally bad job at remastering art (3d or 2d), 60 dollar re-releases of same game with minor stuff added, generally bad soundtracks, the list goes on

whats the best way to play cave story right now?
is there a particular "best version" or should i just pirate the latest?

Attached: 08437b0d1c44bdb9dfe26a2e8476f64d.png (220x230, 6K)

translated original is the only one that runs at the normal 50fps

kind of interested in trying it. Is it different enough from cave story to warrant an interesting experience, albeit a low quality one?

>wtf does that mean?
the game

the original

absolutely destroyed the cave story port on switch, that's why I hate them.

There was a point in my life where I'd play cave story like once every three months

that's long past but I still come back to it at least once every other year minimum. Even got the switch version despite already buying it on steam (and having the freeware one on my hard drive pretty much nonstop since 2008 when I first discovered it.)

Mostly just taking the license from Pixel and whoring it out iirc, I doj't really remember much of it besides them doing that to other games like BoI as well
>pirating Cave Story
The original game is still available for free, play that one.

Attached: 5670dde7-9d58-449f-a990-60bade62529f.jpg (610x637, 255K)

how do they fuck it up? The wii and 3DSmakes were a disaster already

Original or CS+

what did I lose by playing one of nicalis' versions of cave story? Or are you implying that all future playthroughs of the game are compromised even a playthrough of the original?

shit translation, supporting nicalis, paying for a free game, ruining characterization and jokes, and often shitty music and worse graphics

I don't even fucking remember playing it but besides the bad loading times it's a fine enough remastering, art direction isn't that hot though
Cave Story+ on PC is completely fine and has some extra features but if you want to just play the game quick and easy get the freeware version
Once you're done, don't forget to play Kero Blaster and Ikachan
I first played Cave Story on the DSi port and that one was perfectly fine and a comfy way to play the games. I do recall the 3DS and Wii ports of the game being particularly bad. I think I tried playing Curly Mode on the 3DS and it was absolutely borked.

>carry multiple jelly juice
>changed dog positions in sand zone
>can carry multiple dogs
>falling down the booster pit doesn't necessitate a reset if you want the best ending
>other shit that messes with the gameplay that I'm probably forgetting.

they made an already easy game easier what the fuck

I don't remember having any issues with the switch version other than the controls feeling kinda awkward (but I chalked that up to playing a game I spent a decade playing on PC on a console for the first time so who knows)

frankly I think the nicalis hate is massively blown out of proportion. The original wii port's changes were dogshit but there's a reason every port since then (except the 3DS one which was some weird new thing from what I saw) let you use original music, original graphics etc. it's not like the free version isn't still easily and readily available. Of course I'd recommend just playing that and only buying the ports if you like the game that much that you just need it on Switch or need it integrated into steam or whatever.

not to mention the appeal of using jelly juice is the realization is you can keep getting it and maybe finding different places in the world you can use it, thus getting the bubbler with a bit of creative thinking

agree for the most part.
You do get widescreen though, which isn't necessary at all. It includes the original ost and graphics. I didn't know cave story on switch was going to be a shit port when I got it, but I did get a cute balrog and a nice collection of art in the menu. Plus the famitracks cd. It's not worth 30 bucks, but I do appreciate what I got out of it to a degree.

>quality of life changes make game bad!!!

Attached: 1170291-mss.jpg (290x193, 23K)

The 3DS version is just shitty.

literally turns the first part of grasstown/bushlands into grinding for juice. Unacceptable.

I love and hate the wind fortress. I love its whole level design, but I spent so many hours trying to do that fucking 2 mins achievement and the closest I got was 2 minutes and 7 seconds. If I were to come back to it right now I'd probably play it till I get it but I don't really have the time. But anyways, I love how the level is entirely plaform oriented and the gaudi are always fun to fight, and good lord naked robots

have you ever played cave story?

>>changed dog positions in sand zone
>>can carry multiple dogs
Ho
Ly
Fuck
I played CS+ after playing the freeware version, I though I was misremembering shit, but I guess they just changed shit around.

based
i tried to make outer wall but it ended up playing like trash so i dropped it

It created the indie genre. So, yes.

Nah, it is a good game but it's overrated af. The only reason why it got such huge attentions is because there were literally no other good free indie games at the time. It wouldn't have become as big as it is now if they released it today and charged for even a few bucks.

Yeah, I'm still at an A rank for it too. Getting the S rank is crazy tough. And Steam says I have 14 more locked achievements for the game, the hell? I thought I did everything.

i'm pretty sure the jelly juice and multiple dog things were already in the steam version. don't have any issues with them since, as much as I love CS, it has a real bad issue with backtracking sometimes and the dog thing in particular is probably the worst example

>2d pixelshit indie platformer
Nope

Cave Story is peak comfy. I played it for the first time on PSP and loved it. The paid rerelease didn't look as good to me but I haven't tried it.

seriously?
nicalis is dead to me. And I was considering buying cave story on steam since I thought it might run better.

yes and the backtracking for the juice and dogs was shit and just padding
not to mention if you fucked the jump to avoid booster you had to reload your save

Attached: 1489438094805.png (229x252, 26K)

Nah. Cave Story is 100% soul.

4channel would hate the requirements for the true route, but would recognise the superiority of the actual game. The variety of the gameplay options, the interesting weapons, the jetpacks, the soul crushing feeling when you leave Curly's corpse behind after she saves your life, the incredible rush when you manage to save Curly's life and when you read the Iron Bond, and the absolutely perfect, kino, finale where she's literally got your back.

Cave Story is 10/10 and I'm confident Yea Forums would still love it, even today.

Outside of not being able to skip cutscenes and the silly true route path, there's no flaws.

>games having optional things is bad
>everyone needs to experience everything
>posts paper mario
poster boy game series for autistic man children who don't know shit about video games

It's impossible not to rate Curly the highest after all she does during the game. Pixel did an amazing job of making someone incredibly likable and bursting with personality even with only the few lines of dialogue she gets.

>the soul crushing feeling when you leave Curly's corpse behind after she saves your life
not gonna lie when I first played cave story in 8th grade and this shit happened to me I was so hurt I immediately stopped playing, started a new save file, and looked up a guide so it wouldn't happen again. I don't even know if I could tell there was some way to keep her from dying or if I just refused to believe that was inevitable but either way it's the only time a game got me emotional to the point of doing something like that. I'm not even sure why it hit me so hard.

you are literally a baby. understanding and mastering the levels is all you have to do for the backtracking to become a smooth part of the game. But no, everything needs to be smoothed over to fit your modern sensibilities. Disgusting.

what in the absolute fuck are you talking about

Attached: 1523748291539.gif (310x266, 132K)

She's on his back, and she's not fat at all.

Cave Story+ imo

#Quote4SmashDLC

Are you me? I did the exact same at the exact same time. Shit ruined me man, I feel a bit guilty for not beating the game normally the first time but man.

Attached: 457199ba-1c3b-44aa-acc9-505debc468d4.gif (540x368, 1.64M)

>he's also a kirby fan
batting a thousand

saizensen has been the most respectful with cave story so far and should only be featured in their games going forward

Carrying Multiple dogs is clearly a joke, it looks super silly and just saves pointless backtracking. I'm in favor of it personally.

This.
I got both versions for free on the 3DS (the 3D version and the original version).

myhentaicomics.com/index.php/How-To-Drain-A-Robot

People saying that Nicalis "stole" the IP?

Surely you mean they brought it? Isn't Pixel getting a % of our purchases?

Is this the only way Cave Story can truly be relevant again?

Attached: quote.png (677x600, 103K)

It's designed that way so you plan routes, explore, engage in the different challenges in a meaningful way instead of completing it like a check list. changing it so it plays like a modern game ruins it.

It hits super hard when you read the text on the breathing device too, man, terrible. Plus when you know about her and Quote's background...

> Isn't Pixel getting a % of our purchases?
lol

Seeing robots just be humans with line tattoos is so damn unoriginal. This might as well be Quote and Curly cosplayers.

>Isn't Pixel getting a % of our purchases?
I remember seeing a rumor back in the day saying he didn't but I'm like 99% sure that's a load of horse shit made up by people just trying to badmouth nicalis because the wii port sucked

it was annoying backtracking in 2004 and it's annoying backtracking now. I won't defend a lot of changes made to cave story in the multiple ports but some are just straight improvements and you'd have to be a desperate purist refusing to accept any change whatsoever to see it like that.

Not really. If it's your first time through you'll just bring them back as you find them, if it's not then you'll just do it in sequence.

There's no "route" they're all along the exact same path, and one is in a chest above the hut. You don't "route" anything, except deciding to get the furthest one first or last.

yeah a classic case of overrated fucking trash

it's shit

The original game is the only one that matters.

That's basically their design in game though

Still the best

>implying it shouldn't be Kaeru instead so Pixel actually gets to have direct involvement
Quote would only be good if he had the Blade Strangers design anyways, since Nicalis always makes him look like shit

it's incredibly obvious that you're just a purist who hates the game now that it's popular and gotten updated releases to make it more accessable
the original game is still good but it has faults, like the backtracking
just go back to walking back and forth across the same area over and over, nerd

Attached: 1527801823297.png (305x277, 15K)

But not completely human. Kazuma was fooled until he looked closer at Quote, but Professor Booster wasn't fooled at all.

dude I'm like one of those posts, we're not the same person.

I've always been fond of this render that was used for the Wiiware port of the game. The ideal for me would be a mix between this one and his depiction in the portraits in the credits.

Attached: ezgif-4-dbfe7b2a2cc3.jpg (620x707, 53K)

Quote in Smash would be like a fucking dream
Not sure there's ever been a good 3D representation of him though, can only think of Cave Story 3D and Runner

Attached: 1426351345328.jpg (1600x1200, 258K)

backtracking where? You mean the exploration? In an exploration game? Nintenkiddies are too dumb for this game.

curly a cute

Attached: 1555192441868.png (495x800, 220K)

Play the fan ported Dreamcast version

It hasn't been surpassed though many have tried

Blade strangers uses 3d models for its characters, can't say I'd really like this to be Quote's new official design though, his original one is too good for that.

Attached: 400px-Blade_strangers_quote_colors.png (400x311, 152K)

What would his stage be?
>Mimiga Village
>Outer Wall
>Balcony
>Egg Corridor
>Labyrinth

>gotten updated releases to make it more accessable
Nigger, what the fuck are you on about? The updated ports changed LITERALLY NOTHING gameplay wise until the Switch port, save for the change from 50 to 60 FPS which fucked with a lot of the physics. You're paying 20-30 fucking dollars for a copy of a free game with nothing new but a couple mods pulled from the original, some questionable graphical changes, and soundtrack rearrangements that're overall worse. The only port which removes the backtracking is the Switch port, which still has the fucked up physics and also makes the updated graphics even worse thanks to a tacky lighting and water physics system.
Why the fuck would you EVER pay extra for a more bloated version of something you can get for free?

Attached: 1552359913487.jpg (600x337, 42K)

based, overrun the nicalis shills with more curlies

Attached: naoku_curly.png (172x523, 10K)

That's probably the only Nicalis Quote I actually like besides the Blade Strangers design, actually. I'd also be fond of them using some elements from Beta Quote/Curly Brace, like the shorter scarf.

The cutest!

Attached: IMG_20180524_162219.jpg (1401x1715, 446K)

>3 dogs along one linear path
>Can only carry one dog at a time
>It's totally not backtracking to have to go all the way back to hand them in each time

Jesus Christ

Human-proportioned is the right move though, the other 3D games have all gone for a chibi thing
I know he's a manlet in the game but it doesn't translate well to 3D

Attached: 1518338345977.png (1089x1354, 333K)

Has the hope for another game in the Cave Story universe died down? I've always wanted a prequel myself.

twitter.com/nicalis/status/1112841188619374592?lang=en
What did they mean by this

The first time I played it was on that unofficial PSP port right after I hacked mine when I was still in high school. I remember just stumbling on it and thinking "Oh, that looks neat", installing it, and then just letting it sit in my games for awhile. I had no idea what a fucking incredible game I just grabbed on a whim, but I am so glad I actually started it up rather than let it sit there like I did with a lot of those games that I downloaded just because I could (access to piracy and homebrew on the PSP really sent me down a rabbit hole). It was one of those games that I just had to show to my friends and urged them all to play it, they all loved it, too. Fucking finding out that the ending I got playing normally wasn't the only one and that there was an entire area with new enemies and boss fights that was tough as nails blew my mind. This was probably one of the first games that I felt compelled to git gud at just because I had to see the true ending.
Fuck man, I need to play this game again.

Oh my fucking god, a new Cave Story ga-
>April 1st
Well, at least it was enjoyable to watch

Was there any hope in the first place?

It means that Nicalis are a bunch of uncreative hacks.
While I do think Blade Stranger's deisgn is fantastic, the concept art for Quote is all a middle ground that I think would be fantastic.
Kinda reminds me of Puyo Puyo Fever proportions, actually.

Attached: Restart.png (160x120, 2K)

make one, there's a ton of map editing software for the game

I've never really been a fan of games taking place during events that have already been known. Give me a sequel instead.

>i-if I call exploration back tracking that makes it bad
quit trying to homogenize games cassie

youtube.com/watch?v=op8FRV-hyO4
Why did pixel changed the whole game?
did he and ame broke up?

Maybe. Kero Blaster was a fun side venture, but it was rather short, even with the extra modes.
I've tried some old hacks of the game and they're a decent-ish time. Any new ones recently?

>experience Curly's death
>think I just have to accept it and move on because of what happened with Toroko earlier
>beat the normal ending to avenge the fallen
>later I'm talking with a friend about the game
>he tells me there's a way save Curly
>mfw

>6+ years later and I still can't beat Ballos

Attached: 1490776290740.gif (225x195, 1009K)

What happened with Toroko still makes me mad. I never leave that fight feeling happy.

Prequels can put some twist on what you expect, which can be done well
Ace Combat 0 is a good example, the ending as you'd expect from playing the previous game is like 60% in and then the rest is a wild ride of new shit

Attached: 1427677532518.jpg (1024x768, 345K)

walking back and forth across the same terrain with no changes is not exploring dipshit, you aren't finding anything new, it's tedious

Attached: 1527834992083.jpg (367x368, 35K)

just cheese it lmao

Attached: 1535686478007.jpg (1439x1534, 116K)

You're completely right about him needing to go for a taller look but I don't think they'd have to switch out for his BS design, assuming you were implying they'd have to, anyway. And he's got plenty of art with him taller like the ending art of the game, so I think it'd work.
Honestly, I don't think I'd want a new game, I just wish it'd have some appearance in something to give it new relevancy and more fan content, or just some new content in general even if non canon, I want to see them doing things again but I can't for the life of me think of anything that could be done. Of course, I couldn't think of Cave Story in general myself, so maybe Pixel would be able to pull through with something. I'd just be happy to see more from Pixel in general, he's got such a unique and friendly style to everything he does.
You can do it user, it's never too late, do it for her, I believe in you. Curly believes in you.

Attached: 7ea119ce-e489-411e-9b1c-0bbede4dd40f.png (600x751, 172K)

I got the true ending on hard on the dsiware version, AMA.

Why do robots need air?

>talk to chaco to make the jellies spawn
>kill big jelly
>go to mimiga town to get bubbler
>kill big jelly again
>get coal from santa's house
>kill big jelly AGAIN
>go through chaco fireplace, start bomb quest
>KILL BIG JELLY FOR THE FOURTH TIME
and then you go to sand zone and do the same shit with dogs
i love cave story but man do i hate the jelly juice/dog quest

dsiware was my introduction to cave story so this post is pretty based

What are you exploring exactly? It's one long linear path. Going backwards from the Upper Cave to the house, from the bottom route to the house, and from the Shed to the house isn't exploring anything.

Today is his birthday, say something nice about him.

Attached: Pixel.jpg (340x508, 31K)

Why in all that is holy did you purchase a DSi?

They don't, but the air pressure keeps water out of the compartments.

What's tripping you up? Are you able to get to Ballos with the Health Potion and Good HP?

It's like I said though, you have to take some loss. It gives you something to fight for.

I did try that once, actually
but I didn't realize there was a third phase

also, aw fuck I'm late to the curlyposting

Attached: 1534376724307.png (540x635, 157K)

Still better than the 3DS eShop version, if only because of the map on the bottom screen.

Because I was a dumb little shit that didn't know any better at the time.

Kero Blaster is on sale right now, should I go for it bros?
How long did it take you? I'm still stuck on Monster X hard.

Attached: 1a5a4f6d-5acb-4c1f-8089-c724c072de2f.jpg (1280x720, 1.16M)

Fucking this
the first half of the game is such a fucking slog

Kero Blaster is great. Don't like it as much as Cave Story but honestly that might just be nostalgia talking. Should probably pick it up on Switch since I barely use my toaster for anything besides browsing Yea Forums and youtube these days.

You DID get them, right?

Attached: panty.png (70x70, 5K)

Most of the time when I go back to try it's the falling blocks room.
I remember at one point I was actually getting through it quite consistently but I'm not sure I ever understood how I was doing it.
Also all of my attempts so far have been with the spur, I think I'm gonna try one with the snake

every single time, my dude

Attached: 1554069725218.png (226x228, 23K)

Do you at least still have the life pot?

Every playthrough, without fail. I get everything I can.

i want to smell them so bad bros...

Yep

Every single time, no playthrough is complete without them.
It's never too late to curlypost!

Attached: 049c1c47-9f02-4eb3-b570-39d3067b13c8.png (540x372, 54K)

I could beat hell on Normal consistently on the DSiWare version. Fuck going through the game on Hard though, that's fucking bullshit.
お誕生日おめでとう、天谷さん
洞窟物語が一番のゲームです
そして、ケロブラスターはいいゲームです

even the lipstick?

I honestly stopped getting the bubbler, I used it a few times on my first playthrough, but really, it's not worth the effort to get.

Of course

I was in middle school, so I didn't keep track. Too fucking long, though.

i Remember somebody in my game design class had that as their wallpaper and i asked him what it was from just so i could to go the bathroom and fap to that robot bitch on my phone.

Honestly? You're pretty based
though I'd only masturbate to her if she was fat

What does robo-panties smells like?

If I've used the pot before I got to that point then I've basically already failed (as a player).
Normally I'd try to keep it all the way up to the room before the final boss, but if I'm forced to use it while still in the sanctuary then I think of it as giving me a chance to put more practice into the later parts of the level, even if I have no chance against the boss at that point.

Attached: 1528575266411.png (900x699, 40K)

it's about optimization
>go to chaco
>kill jelly on the way
>go back to santas
>get charcoal
>kill jelly on the way back
>start bomb quest
>kill jelly
>finish bomb quest
>kill jelly while leaving for bubbler
I think you can get it down to only having to walk that path between santas and chacos to only 2 times.

Listen I know nicalis are faggots
But if I wanted to show my younger siblings cave story via co-op on the switch version how is it?

Absolutely. I take all the souvenirs with me.

Happy birthday Pixel sama. When are you going to release a new game.

as mentioned earlier in the thread, the switch version lets you stack jelly and dogs to make it less of a chore

Attached: 1528839934273.gif (80x160, 7K)

Cave Story on Switch is the best version, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

t. played it on PC/PSP/DSi/3DS/Switch

>this user will never ask for sauce irl

Honestly, the falling blocks room sucks, but it mostly just takes some practice to try minimise damage. Mostly ignore or kill the angels and focus on dodging the blocks, anytime you get hit make the most of your invincibility frames and haul ass, and just get down the hole at the end ASAP.

What you wanna do is get through it, then when you're into the next part jump down the right near the spikes to get the 2 hearts. Then realise that Pixel specifically didn't seal off the exit from the falling blocks room, so just jetpack up, and instantly fall back down, and the hearts will respawn, you can farm back to full HP easily like this.

The next section you can consistently get through without losing any HP, just takes practice, and make sure to get your Super Missile Launcher up to lv3 and to get the massive ammo upgrade.

Use Super Missiles to blow up Heavy Press in one rotation, and bam! You're on Ballos with 35-40 HP and a Health Pot. Easily enough to start learning his patterns.

Stick with the Spur Imo, it's way, way better and makes the rest much easier.

>carry multiple jelly juice
>can carry multiple dogs
brb buying a Switch

Little do you know...
And don't worry, I have a few more saved. I'll beat my meat to her next time in honor of this thread.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (173x60, 1K)

Stacking dogs ontop of Quote is goddamn hilarious and anyone who complains is a loser

but if I use missiles on Heavy Press then what do I use to cheese Ballos?

Attached: dd1df1a9247c3542732a73334d7b3a49-d5xh1g8.jpg (400x1131, 219K)

What are some games that remind you of Cave Story? Either for personal reasons or because of the game itself resembling it in feel somehow. For me it's Off, Oneshot, and Undertale.
I wish nightmargin would make more cave story art again

Attached: 90a2b03d-27c8-4cce-a0c2-d689cfd232ff.png (600x555, 136K)

it's pretty rad

Attached: 1498273495129.png (1268x1920, 1M)

Attached: 1993480203.jpg (1000x1000, 56K)

One game that reminds me a bit of Cave Story is The Desolate Hope. It's a game featuring quirky robots and some 2D platforming sections, coupled with these crazy seizure-inducing RPG battles. It's made by Yea Forums's favorite person, Scott Cawthon.

>60 dollars to make a free four-five hour game 30 minutes shorter

how does the cutscene with balrog work if you have all 5 at once, though?

I'd say Undertale and monolith and that one cave story-like game that's been in dev hell
>I wish nightmargin would make more cave story art again
me too

Kero Blaster is fucking fantastic. Zangyou mode and Omake mode both have extra levels, don't ignore them.
Also, you keep firing in the direction you started until you stop holding the fire button.

You've got more than enough for both, b-but in my experience getting through Heavy Press without losing HP is more important than being able to beat Ballos slightly faster.

Unless you're super good at managing that fight and don't lose much HP from it, then you'll wind up getting to Ballos with 5 or 10 HP left and you'll just die or use the potion instantly.

Plus, honestly, to beat Ballos the most important thing is to get attempts into him, beating the previous section ASAP means each attempt is less of a slog, more attempts means you learn faster and beat him faster.

Honestly for his final phases, just blow him up with Curly's Nemesis. I sat my ass on one of those platforms, never moved, and just had Curly constantly shoot him while Quote killed Butes with the Spur. Only used both to attack him when I was under him.

it's $18 physical was only $30 to begin with (which is a little pricey) nigger, try again

Attached: 1515912426175.png (1024x719, 439K)

Were you the guy who asked me for sauce on the image a few days back?
>The underside will likely never be released
It hurts
Monolith looks pretty sick, I'll check it out
I've been planning to try out desolate hope since I saw it in a thread a while ago, have been waiting for a sale to come but I think that's a lost hope by now.

Attached: curly_brace_by_orangesansettdbcl5fq.png (1024x1707, 529K)

The thing that hits me the hardest is the second ending when you destroy the demon core and escape the island. The game shows various scenes of the environement inside the island as it goes crashing down. The purpose is simple, the game is saying "hey look, these are all the areas you went through, that was a fun adventure right?" and then we get a glimpse of Curly's body, still inert in the underwater area. There is no comment, the game doesn't pause for a second.

Attached: badendcurlydead.jpg (1441x1073, 146K)

gave up on that level like ten years ago. maybe it's time to revisit it and try again.

Attached: tense1983.gif (252x270, 2.54M)

See:

>waiting for a sale to come.
user...it's free.

I don't remember such a thing happening, I wasn't here for any recent Cave Story thread

Huh, didn't notice.
Guess I just saw it and assumed it cost money.
oops

Attached: e0af1417-b821-469c-916b-c91a03d7871c.png (1050x875, 1.23M)

Doesn't change the fact that you're paying money to make a free game shorter, retard.

How do I beat hell on a machine gun run?

Shoot the cherubs

Steam version is 15
Original is free, just google it
Become one with the machine gun
MG hell runs are the best

Attached: 1547441849026.jpg (1000x668, 133K)

Which part is fucking you over?

>those eyes
thank god I only play the freeware ver

Absolutely

Last Battle is an amazing final boss theme and I love it.

He was talking about another game not Cave Story silly

RNG hall and the next room
I'm too used to the spur's puss out while charging gameplay

I'm retarded

The falling blocks room is the same with either weapon really, you dont focus much on killing Butes, just get through it.

Then farm for full HP on the 2 hearts at the start of the room, they comeback anytime you enter/leave.

I knew that cheese its just that the MG feels so underpowered even on lvl 3

Fair enough, I can see it making things harder for sure, I know I wouldn't want to not have the spur for Ballos p2.

Why not swap to Nemesis though?

Or use the Blade lvl 2, it rips things apart.

>tfw no robot gf

Attached: tumblr_pfxyh4rYdV1tv2iddo2_1280.png (1280x1737, 1M)

I only play the freeware version as well, I had to look through a couple of obscure Let's Play video to find a screenshot of the exact scene. Most videos of Cave Story's endings don't show Curly's corpse because they are recorded by people who saved her but then escaped the island, so the body isn't there.

>limebreaker
mmmm
do they genetically engineer this kind of hentai to be pure mind candy? the colors are excellent. too bad this sort of thing has mainly become a hentai thing.

Attached: cowabunga.jpg (408x408, 112K)

Shit. I didn’t even know the multiple jelly juice. And I thought I was going crazy with the dogs.

they released CS+ on OSX, but it is bugged. I found a thread explaining how to dig through the code to fix it, but if I wanted to learn Linux to mod my games, I would have bought a Windows PC.

I contacted Nicalis about a refund (App Store doesn't do refunds), but that was 2 years ago

I don't know why this makes me as upset as it does.
Fucking hate how Nicalis's been treating CS characters as if they were their fucking mascots.

Attached: really.png (188x154, 59K)

>ywn live to see the dawn of truly free robots
>ywn meet a cute robot girl
>ywn befriend her and grow closer
>ywn help her feel better about not being human
>ywn hear her confess her love for you
>ywn kiss her, cuddle with her, or run your hands through her hair
It hurts

Attached: 8ad0f0eb-c34c-4aff-b29e-4d946861767f.jpg (641x816, 105K)

Does any game replicate the Cavestory feel? Even just musically at least.

Towerclimb?

I've never found a game that really does, closest would be some of pixel's other games and nothing else really.

Attached: a19cda41-883c-4bd6-9ce3-79a6b0b738d4.png (1280x1563, 2.14M)

FAT

One day I'll have accumulated enough robotics knowledge (and money) to build her.
Hang in there lads, the robot revolution is sooner than you think.

Attached: tumblr_p8qthifUQs1x3gdmlo1_1280.png (1220x1920, 940K)

Nothing comes to mind
I just want another shootan platformer with a nice story and good music

Attached: 1461231120254.png (1280x1871, 556K)

it's literally the only game that can be considered art

Why does your computer need air?

If you loved the original game you should really play Jenka's Nightmare, it's a really awesome fan made expansion, nice difficulty curve too, never too bullshit.

jenkasnightmare.srb2.org/

Works with Mod Loader too, so that you can run it in widescreen + use a modern xinput gamepad.

github.com/Clownacy/Cave-Story-Mod-Loader/releases

Attached: 1554875444155.jpg (500x588, 130K)

I'm not sure, I've never deprived it of air before to test.

Don't be rude! She's built that way!
Jenka's nightmare is really good, I remember being amazed at the way you could carry over some of your original game progress to it.

Attached: tumblr_orgfxuxB3N1tl172po1_1280.png (1136x1920, 468K)

that is the freeware version

SHE'S BUILT FAT

Attached: 1424541480045.png (487x431, 137K)

So, how do you all feel about Quote's Blade Strangers voice?

that reminds me, there was a free game where you climb a tower with music similar to cavestory wasn't there?

nvm found it. It's tower of heaven youtu.be/nGV0k73vaDI

>tower of heaven
>similar music to cave story
what
ToH's music isn't even done in organya

Attached: Chaco.png (644x529, 22K)

It's just kind of plain, not sure what I was expecting really but yeah

Attached: 56f85d9d-ff1e-4a36-9fe6-266baaac9671.png (400x400, 118K)

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Attached: 1525582720438.gif (368x374, 487K)

MORE FAT CURLIES

Attached: 1419131758450.png (841x1190, 591K)

She's not fat!!!

Attached: 2e6440de-a083-421d-a2ed-5ce481c32b94.jpg (1280x674, 270K)

This isn't fat, you liars.

Attached: 1424841309947.png (445x482, 98K)

Attached: 007.gif (200x200, 735K)

Have you guys played the Switch co-op? It's pretty fun, even Hard Mode.

Attached: tumblr_ngrdxjX0wN1tfyweto1_1280.gif (1280x948, 394K)

If you're doing opposites, then post more non-lewd Curly

so when the fuck is this shit coming out?

Daily reminder that the Blade Strangers designs come from old fanart, and we are to assume this artist ended up working for Studio S/Nicalis.

Attached: d014.jpg (820x560, 109K)

I think they're a bit too quick to whore them out to bad games, see Blade Strangers, but it doesn't really bother me much. The game itself remains mostly preserved and kept relevant which is nice.

Yeah because she's not fat!

Attached: 7cd4e67d-3154-4b17-b740-17e91ab4530e.png (930x1920, 446K)

Blade Strangers was good, though.
The real shitfest was Runner 2.

I agree

Attached: 101229 mize.png (320x240, 10K)

Attached: 1438240487503.jpg (306x386, 41K)

>RNG
>pattern

She's weirdly underappreciated for such an important character, it's a shame, such a good design too, though every CS character is well designed
Co-op was one of the main reasons I wanted to get the switch version, the others were the physical goodies but those aren't available anymore unless you buy them off someone else I think, so I've ended up not getting it. Don't really know anyone who would want to play the game anyway lol.

Attached: b873bf42-388b-4f22-90dc-ebc7040f301a.png (837x1200, 190K)

I got it on release for the keychains and luckily got Quote. Good to have the only CS merch in existence.

In another note, I dropped Blade Strangers super hard on release. How do I get back into it bros

Attached: 20907720_p0.jpg (436x800, 96K)

How come the game tanked this hard on the Switch?

It's usually the ideal platform for indie pixel shit. Is it just not zoomer friendly enough? Or not trendy enough on the social media?

30 bucks

>nice music
>clean fps
>simple and cute artstyle and character design
>calm color palette
>tight as fuck controls
>satisfying as fuck SFX design
>gets pretty challenging with a non mandatory yet difficult level
>story is interesting enough for me to care and feel emotional
>can view Pixel's devnotes/blog
>and the game is free
Perfect. The original version of course.

So? The Switch fags paid $50 for The World Ends with You which was just a port of the shitty mobile version.

This is exactly what I requested, this was not the agreement. I need Curly's robutt and I need it now.
Pls and thks

modern Yea Forums would be like
>what is this tumblr shit
>the dialogue is so tryhard
>calarts tier furry art

Attached: 1524790736455.png (1200x936, 684K)

Maybe the fact it's available everywhere and the re-buying hype died down or something. I don't know, really. I thought the keychain and co-op stuff was cool.

July, coinciding with the western release.

Attached: __curly_brace_doukutsu_monogatari_drawn_by_neocoill__6186bc4fda2d5cf5ae2c26b4610c8c83.png (560x1046, 752K)

Every other indie is around the 10-20 price tag, while CS is at 30 and virtually never goes on sale
I should probably look into getting the keychains myself, they're just about the only CS merch out there, I can't even find any at conventions because of obscurity most of the time, I'm mainly worried about the price of the things
>>can view Pixel's devnotes/blog
Where? I'm really interested in this
This is the most I'll give you

Attached: curly_brace_playing_video_games.png (900x695, 403K)

This cameo in particular is not Nicalis' doing though. This is Studio Saizensen's (Umihara Kawase's devs) choice.

Gonna make some bait out of this tomorrow for another thread, thanks.

switch version is best version solely because of the co-op

>just started first playthrough
>traded polar star for machine gun and saved
>found out I'll miss spur
Did I fuck up?

Attached: marcille unamused.png (405x797, 216K)

No
Machine gun is the most fun

there's also the snake
replaying the game is fun

I have a cold, dead heart but seeing cute Cave Story art makes said cold deadness feel a little less dead.

It helps that Curly is my original waifu

Attached: a001d3d906598a81398f0917912e46b83f34d68d.png (618x900, 175K)

All 3 weapons are pretty good, you can't really go wrong.

The game is pretty short and replayable, I'd recommend just continuing and doing a replay for the other 2 weapons
she's mine too, still is

Attached: d4272ba0-2560-4081-b7c2-00771fc7e37e.jpg (800x801, 354K)

>Curly Brace and Quote
>ARSe&D
nice

Attached: il010604.png (240x320, 7K)

Attached: 762.png (1013x1459, 301K)

didnt someone port this on flash?

the way i see it, in games where you get locked into a certain route or have permanently missable items, its always fun to do a fully "natural" route with no outside help and then look up what the optimal route is for the second playthrough.

besides, you're gonna have to play through it again anyways because the way to get the true ending is kinda stupidly easy to miss.

THIS IS A FUCKING DISGRACE YA SON OF A GUN. I'LL TELL YE WHAT YA HEAR, YA VARMIN

She looks fat to me.

Curly should be THICK

Attached: tumblr_nivq5015Ur1sf8uq4o1_1280.png (700x850, 206K)

>Only one side is side-tie
Huh. That's kinda weird.

Get your eyes checked buddy!!

Attached: b6a905b7-0ae0-4a4a-af66-6c8fb50b08ed.png (1280x1450, 464K)

Have a wallpaper guys

Attached: ducJXJ4.png (3840x2160, 752K)

>Robowaifus will be an actual reality someday.
We're all going to make it.
I'll never love anything more than I love Curly!

Attached: Curly Brace 029.png (902x913, 316K)

Holy fuck user I’ve always known I’m at least slightly gay but jesus christ that image

Attached: E451644C-7BB0-4F6B-874E-FDE9B6D3E69A.png (298x279, 47K)

It's okay user
it turned me over too

Attached: 78691c35-0c55-4499-9d1f-6447e820b5d4.png (1001x703, 405K)

you awright for a japanese nigga

Attached: 1498287216500.png (400x400, 12K)

>Curlyfag is 7 hours late to a CS thread
If you really loved her you would do better

>solo quote image is a one off thing by night margin
>second image has no results on saucenao,tineye, or google
pls tell me there’s more like these

They're both by nightmargin, they've done some more but I can't find them. Maybe next thread.

Attached: 4a4d8fb6-94e0-4bc2-9f51-c170cfd4f11c.png (700x584, 84K)

F R E E W A R E

Attached: Spur_2.png (423x361, 569)

machinegun is my favorite weapon, but u should just do playthroughs with diff weapons for full experience

Attached: 801fddc3d5b8842c1ede21e0e2ed12c8.gif (329x591, 21K)

CS+ with OG graphics and remade music. The compositions are great, but OG music quality is grating.

This has been the best thread I've been in in a while, thanks guys, hopefully it'll live until I wake up tomorrow but for now it's been nice. I'll dump some more fan art before going to bed.

Attached: eb8a8eff-30a2-4875-ab74-0d2c726df691.jpg (829x785, 134K)

diff strokes for diff folks with that imo, but very acceptable choice. i daresay kino.

Attached: 9a10743d-fc8a-48a8-a5d2-d4096bcdf3ea.png (800x739, 498K)

>remade music
>The compositions are great, but OG music quality is grating

Attached: ansem_bait.jpg (586x540, 91K)

Attached: ebe20e8c-6ebd-4108-9371-d13fda95d7ee.jpg (1280x1280, 349K)

same, desu.

I haven't played in years and I just booted up the game recently. Been having a lot of fun and I'm thinking about doing some artfaggery for quote & frens

goodnight my guy, it's fucking 4 am for me.

Attached: old_music.png (320x240, 13K)

OG graphics = New graphics
3D OST = OG OST >>>> Wii OST

Please do, cave story art hardly comes around nowadays

Attached: 4ef93b3c-7d94-4b89-872a-e27931e3fce5.png (540x372, 52K)

Attached: a5d83e4b-67db-4538-a126-998832b8bda3.png (1000x1000, 209K)

A cute

Attached: 29359c63fbc0f944ec244860b3c911ff.jpg (272x400, 33K)

The standards of beauty in this game are desu quite heteronormative, cisnormative, toxic to women and transwomen, and overall regressive.

The only case where this even could apply is Scorching Back, which admittedly has some really weird pitches at one point.

Aside from that, OG music is objectively best

Will it ever end?

Attached: crystal crisis game.png (595x769, 965K)

Attached: 9e7cfa1f-981f-45b2-b890-aa7d65152100.jpg (1280x1536, 374K)

HOW DARE THEY HAVE BIG HEADS IN THEIR SPRITEs, GOOD GOLLY

Attached: 35f1219c-ea6f-4612-b43b-a718844da0a6.png (714x1000, 282K)

Steam Cave Story doesn't have dog or jelly stacking. Bit late, but I figured I'd clarify

HOW DARE THE ROBOTS BE SO GODDAMN CUTE

Attached: sex_with_robots_by_vedasisme.png (800x521, 227K)

Attached: 86294785-8a39-4a13-9ef7-999b7be1ad97.png (1280x1705, 817K)

Attached: b06d1561-2041-498c-8131-56436def2ddf.png (1000x787, 182K)

It was a classic to me. Practically influenced all of my experiences in side scrolling adventure games, story and higher difficulty gameplay.
Also grew up drawing it a lot.

God, I hope not. I hate shitty cameos and shitty games but Quote being shoved in anything just makes me smile.

Attached: 235.png (320x480, 21K)

Attached: DreaminErryDay Curly.png (422x505, 38K)

Attached: rariatoo indies.png (951x750, 219K)

Would you?

Attached: lls__curly_brace_by_pastelletta-d5zhlgq.png (3211x2119, 3.15M)

Ballos is in the new thing so in the next crossover they will have to add Misery or Balrog.

wonder how a robot is blushing?
yes, i would

Attached: sofiasketch quote.png (802x959, 1.5M)

Attached: piroeoe curly.png (500x540, 16K)

it's the classic overrated game

Attached: IonicIsaac Quote moveset.png (1280x962, 953K)

You've never played it. You are a teenager raised on shitty, modern cash grab games. Your appetite for aesthetic concerns like graphics, marketing hype, and the feeling of being "in" on the latest fads will prevent you from ever enjoying the truly good games.

I did play it, in fact I regret it

Say what you will about the Wii's OST, its version of Moonsong is the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=VFTszPDTEr8

The block room is not "rng" unless you're speedrunning. You have plenty of time to dodge every block. It's quite easy in fact. Doing so without losing time is another story.

>460441995
Really terrible attempt to save face. Go brood in your room. Do not reply to me again. You won't receive any more attention.

is there even any reason to get the nemesis outside of autismal hoarding? I've always gone for it but I've noticed I never use the damn thing outside of maybe the misery fight. Blade just seems much better in general.

I never use the Nemesis purely because the Blade has sentimental value. What kind of asshole would I be if I traded away King's dying wish, the sword that contains his soul, for a cheap weapon that eventually shoots rubber ducks?

She doesn't really do much during the plot, and she's a large part of the reason all the bad stuff's happened.

Machine Gun is fine for the normal ending. Go for Spur for the True Ending though, it makes Balos much better imo.

Nemesis is cool but annoying to use. Blade is awesome, but it sucks that the lv3 is worse than the lv2.

Ultimately I keep the Blade most of the time, but use the Spur 99% of the time.

>backtracking good
one step away from speedrunning autism and two steps away from transition

C U R L Y