Thoughts on this?

Thoughts on this?

Attached: TheNonaryGamesCover.png (480x528, 482K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vndb.org/c73542
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fun silly sci fi. don't play ztd

its good

danganronpa/ace attorney was better
im told that its niche is being more grounded which is retarded and false

play the DS version of 999, VLR is pretty good overall, don't bother with ZTD unless you want to feel pain

Which version of VLR is better?, the Steam one or the 3DS one.

First and second games were silly but really good, third one was just silly

999 is better than Danganronpa 1 and AA 1 & 2.
And this is coming from a diehard Danganronpa fan.

they're the same, 999 is the one where you really want to play the DS version because the single screen versions butcher the story

Very underrated vns, I'd recommend playing 999 on DS and then VLR on whatever. Third one is ok but not as good as those two which are 10/10 games so it's not saying much.

I think the only difference is that they changed a certain character's voice actor at the end of the game.

why tho ?
AA 1 2 3 are unmached

>Which version of VLR is better?, the Steam one or the 3DS one.
The steam version although they are pretty much identical.

>they're the same, 999 is the one where you really want to play the DS version because the single screen versions butcher the story
Don't give a shit what anyone says about the single screen deal it is not worth needing to play the entire game with no voice acting on a tiny handheld screen or through emulation is not worth it.

>being more grounded
I mean, they're all fiction, but Ace Attorney and Danganronpa can be pretty damn nonsensical in a cartoony way. ZE series is still fiction but it's more serious fiction? If you can imagine psychic abilities being possible, then the scenarios posed are "realistic"

the entire story of the game revolves around the use of the dual screens of the DS, it can be emulated easily enough and the inclusion of voices and a route viewer, although nice, isn't enough to compensate for the completely destroyed story that came out of the port

First one had a cool artstyle, they changed in the sequels, lame.

>play on DS
w-what's wrong with on, say, Vita

>butchered main twist
>butchered main puzzle

fpbp

read a couple posts above you, anything else would be spoilers

>the entire story of the game revolves around the use of the dual screens of the DS
This meme is really blown out of proportion
Yes, there is an in-game explanation for why there are 2 screens, but it doesn't change the story at all
It's purely meta information

999 is good and must be played on the DS.
VLR is ok.
ZTD is so bad it's good but don't expect any actual resolution to anything VLR sets up.

Attached: 1468175386284.gif (550x312, 1.13M)

Still massively butt hurt about ZTD
Thought they would have gone down a meta path instead it was all hacks. MIND HACKS

the game was built around the DS screens, so the ending happens to have a scene that makes sense with two screens rather than one. I did not play it on the DS but I did play it on a tablet using a DS emulator, which had two screens.

i tried it out and couldn't really play it. i think i'm just too fucking stupid.

It changes how you view the narration and changes its context in so many scenes. You're also missing out on narration by the adv/novel mode nonsense.

the game was re-written whether you want to admit that or not, it's like TWEWY, entirely dependent on the 2 screen mechanic and all ports are inferior no matter if they have pretty grafix or voice acting

VLR by itself was fun, but you could tell before ZTD even released that it was doomed to be a disappointment just by the sheer amount of insane bullshit VLR introduced.

Those games are so flawed it's not even funny. The way AA rapidly defend them makes me think nostalgia plays a role because I just played the first two games and my god are they flawed. Interesting, experimental and certainly ground breaking stuff, but very very flawed. I burst into laughter during the emotional climax of the first game when the judge says in regards to Edgeworth accidentally killing his own father 20 years ago as a child "Murder is still murder". Seriously, what sane court would ever convict a man of murder in that situation? It was a laughably bad way to try and raise the stakes even though the emotional toll of having killed his own father, even by accident, would have been enough. The game didn't need to throw out the legal threat as well it just made the world even harder to believe and it's already hard to believe with how fucked the court system is. Like I'm fine with Phoenix playing detective even though the idea of a DA doing what he does is highly unethical because it's for the purpose of letting the player experience an enjoyable part of solving a mystery but when they do shit like the spoiler I posted it's just hard to believe writing.

Played 999 on DS and loved it. Decided to get it on steam just in case I lose my game somehow, and played it till the end. Oh my god that last "puzzle". I was not prepared, I thought it was a joke.

Attached: 1528959151381.jpg (480x281, 16K)

cool game, couldn't put it down on my first play through.
Akane worst girl

Yeah but ZTD didn't even fucking bother using half of the shit VLR set up, and what it did use it shat all over in the most unsatisfying ways possible. Still worth playing just for how hilariously bad it is though.

Attached: 1468183877841.jpg (1920x1080, 214K)

I already emulated 999 like 3 or 2 years ago, I just really want to finish the saga already since VLR looks interesting, and despite what people say about ZTD I want to try it out.

Attached: CwoSJF5XEAAmhFU.jpg (813x1200, 141K)

Depends on whether you have experience with Infinity VNs.

The only Zero Escape that genuinely adds something significantly conceptually new to Infinities, is VLR, purely due to the fact that is was co-written (it does, however, require prior completion of 999).

>he doesn't know how fucked the japanese legal system is

Really liked 999, up until the dumb pseudo-science plot twist.

just be prepared to hate yourself playing ZTD

Is ZTD really that bad or are people just being hyperbolic?

it's really that bad, if you want to torture yourself the pc version is on sale for golden week

to be fair they unload all kinds of pseudo-scientific bullshit on you the whole way through, it's a pretty safe bet that all that shit was going to be important.
i felt the same way when reading chaos;head though. anytime that foot fetish girl showed up and started talking about laser psychic swords i wanted to just skip through the text and go back to the murder mystery stuff. lo-and-behold, guess what ended up ruining the ending.

It is The Room of video games. If you don't care about any of the setups in VLR then you can laugh at the terrible story and its execution.

It really is that bad. But it's at least the kind of bad that is funny and entertaining in how bad it is.

Attached: 1469348040356.png (500x680, 72K)

To make matter much worse, all the Zero Escapes are, to bigger or lesser extents, retells of various Ever17 twists. Thing is, Remember11 is, at its core, when you really get to the bottom it, a giant "FUCK YOU" BTFO to everything E17 related. It's just, after doing it, not to mention I/O, Zero Escapes, barring roughly a third of VLR's content, come out as MONSTROUS and completely worthless wastes of time.

That's just japanese law lmao.
It's hilarious aint it with how it seems like a parody of the law but it IS the law of japan.

I've never played the ports but I refuse to believe that 999 works well without the dual screens

Yeah, I know, but I was still somewhat unsatisfied with how it played out. Obviously, I'm in the minority, though, and I did love everything up until to that point. Overall, I liked it.

A very complex series

>Is ZTD really that bad
It's worse. The most disappointed I have ever been in a video game.

I had fun with the puzzle rooms, that's the best I can take from it

At what point did you realize it was the best?

Attached: maxresdefault-172.jpg (1280x683, 185K)

It is worth to play the games on PS4? Or is better to play them on PC?

don't trust them bro, just look at these reviews
It can't be bad

Attached: Zero Honest Reviewers.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

I still have yet to realize it after playing through the whole serie multiple times.
999 is still the best.

If you have the option for pc that would be better because of the mouse control for puzzle rooms.

Does 428 have any parts that stick out to any of you as being VLR-reminiscent in their writing tone? It's just that co-writer (who might or might not have been responsible for Luna's Ending) worked on 428 as well, so, well, hence the question.

i havent played it, whats bad about ZTD?

It's best to play them on DS, as they were intended to be played.

How did I miss this

There we go. This is what I get for posting at 2 am.

Not really, but it is still a great VN

>destroyed story that came out of the port
>"destroy story"
>LOL DUUDE TURN THE 3DS UPSIDE DOWN SO META HAHAHAAHA
Come the fuck on. The story is perfectly comprehensible in the HD port and leaves no room for confusion unless you are legitimately mentally challenged. While it is true the entire premise of the story was written with dual screens in mind and the the "twist" is more effective in the DS version, the story is not "destroyed" in any capacity.

phi is qt
dio is a dick
alice is hot
clover is a tramp
temiogi is gullible
quark is naive
k is ok
luna is cute
sigma is a chad

Dio's and Luna's endings, obviously.
Well, Luna's, if I were to pick one.

I/O is still in another league though.

life is truly unfair

999 on DS
The other two wherever

>God Tier
999, VLR, AAI2, DR3
>Top Tier
AA1, AA3, AA6, DR1
>Great Tier
AAI1, AA4, AA5, DR2,
>Good Tier
AA2

massive power gap

>We Don't Speak of This One Tier
ZTD

Attached: Tenko badly drawn.png (500x408, 79K)

Thanks. I don't have a 3DS and I loved 999 on my DS Lite back in the day.

It legit is a 10/10
Find it in your hearts.

Attached: 1467334115208.png (1280x1440, 1.79M)

Basically I am looking for anything there that seems to be overly concerned with empathy or lack of thereof. Still nothing?

I only played 999
how do the later games compare?

good job being so willfully ignorant, I wish I was so simple that I could mindlessly consume without thought

It looks like shit, the puzzle are a step down from VLR, the story goes full retarded. Uchi didn't even write two out of three teams. Going into details would contain spoilers.

VLR is good
ZTD is unfair

I am aware of the satire aspect but I have trouble believing even Japan would convict in that situation. Also like I said, it's the emotional climax of the story and the story is actually really grounded, accidentally killing your own parents (or any loved one) is something people have gone through and is heart wrenching. I didn't find it to be a good place to insert over the top satire if that's genuinely what it's supposed to be. Also this whole issue is made even worse by Rise from the Ashes (which I know was written alter but many people like me played it right after the original last case) where Ema is thought to have killed Marshal for a little bit and the Judge and everyone else agrees she shouldn't be charged for an accidental murder that happened years ago. Also in case two they bring up the concept of manslaughter which is what he would have actually been charged with which is my other issue, a lack of internal consistency. I'm not looking for complete realism from these games and anyone who is, is a fool but I do think it's fair to ask for some internal consistency with how their made up courts work.

Also like I said don't get me wrong, I really appreciate these games but I can't at all understand how someone could view them as flawless. Maybe the third game with change my mind but there are lots of other small things. Like an HP bar in a VN is an interesting and novel idea but I don't think it functions well. If you run out of HP your punishment is just holding skip through things you have already read, you aren't going to get the wrong answer to questions you already answered. Most games waste your time as punishment for dying but it's not the same way where if I retry say a boss fight in Dark Souls I might lose to a phase of the boss I had previously beaten. That will never happen in PW making the HP ultimately pointless. On top of that if you are at 1 HP you can just save. Could you do that in the original non remakes?

Nice vacuous ad hominem "response." Good job proving you have nothing of consequence to contribute to the discussion. I too wish I was my childhood nostalgia tailored by delusions on how a forthcoming port was handled.

VLR is top tier. Whether or not you like as much or more than 999 is usually down to personal preference. Just don't even bother with ZTD.

I think they tried to hard with ZTD. The art and directional choices were to much. Should have kept it simple like the first two games for the fans, instead of drastically changing it to the point where it's unrecognizable as the ending to the trilogy.

ZTD was a 10/10 at release just because of all the memes that came of it.

Attached: 1496920936398.jpg (500x644, 88K)

I hope when talking about DR3 you mean V3, in which case this list is incredebly wrong still because DR2>V3>>DR.

Attached: Shit taste.jpg (3164x6100, 2.95M)

How is K noticeably taller than Sigma?

Carlos is a treasure.

Attached: 1467873635957.png (1267x681, 882K)

Look forward to it.

Attached: Zero Escape ZTD LIES.jpg (530x1235, 353K)

>but I have trouble believing even Japan would convict in that situation
You really, REALLY don't get how the japanese legal system, or even the japanese sense of responsibility works.

>overly concerned with empathy or lack of thereof
Well one of the main character's entire character arc revolves around being asocial his whole life and regretting it and how he treated his wife and daughters
Also it might be reaching a bit but Umineko might have some parts of what you are looking for, and if it doesn't it also is a nice mystery VN that you might want to check out anyway

Attached: 1495767594328.png (800x1080, 233K)

This list isn't half-bad when it comes to being accurate.

reminder that "Virtue's Last Reward" is pretty much the kinoest translation to ever exist

>1-3
Seriously, what were they thinking.

>Well one of the main character's entire character arc revolves around being asocial his whole life and regretting it and how he treated his wife and daughters
Could be it. How is that character called?

>Also it might be reaching a bit but Umineko might have some parts of what you are looking for
It's not the theme I am looking for, it's the writer.

The way they just constantly murder innocent alternate versions of themselves over and over in the plot of ZTD weirded me out. When it was VLR it felt more like the additional information was sent across instead of the consciousness switching places.

It is user... Accidentally killing someone is a crime called Manslaughter in Australia i think its called second degree murder in America

originals didnt have manual saves i dont think
idk i see it like this: yu fucked up and run out of hp so thegame winds back a bit and gives you another chance to actually understand instead of just trying out combinations
japs legal system is retarded also
if all else fails just convince yourself that its quirky

Yes, I meant V3. The DR3 anime belongs in the bottom tier with ZTD

Attached: 1470007657514.png (298x416, 143K)

this guy
vndb.org/c73542

This. Play the DS version I wish someone had told me to.

>vndb.org/c73542
Thanks a lot.

Are there actually people who defend 999's port or is it just the one guy here, I thought they didn't exist.

The entire goal of the AB game was for old and young Sigma to switch minds.

I haven't played DR1 in some time, but what was so bad about the last case?
Finding out that the real Junko was alive all along was pretty neat.

Attached: 1508299312830.png (600x1412, 525K)

>Play DS version
>No flowchart and tedious replays
>All for ebin twist
No thanks. Plus, I loved the voice acting.

Git gud.

Yeah its not that bad also the last case of V3 should take its spot.

Don't play ZTD. I'm not kidding.

6/10 it's ok
people tend to remember the bad things because of how strongly they stand out, like the ending, the weak twists and how many untied plot threads there were. but it's alright in general, the puzzles and puzzle rooms are fine with lots of fun dialogue that the other games had, carlos is a great character with some good endings, and there's some hilarity to be had with the scenes that allow you to enter other character's names.

It suffers too much from the same mistakes that all Danganronpa endings do, too much exposition and i'ts incredibly long, I would move it to meh or okay tho.

if you wanna trade creator's intent for quality of life that's completely up to you.

The voice acting is pretty good so I don't begrudge someone for choosing the remaster.

I actually only found 999 when some user in a AA thread asked for similar game titles.
I just emulated it completely blind and did not get spoiled on anything and i loved every minute of it. Too bad its sequels are not as good

I guess you didn't read my post because I mentioned that in my post. Manslaughter is brought up in case 2 yet in the last case the judge calls what Edgeworth "did" murder.
I do and I still disagree but there is a larger issue. The same people defend Ema in the same situation, you can't defend the lack on internal consistency with "you don't get Japanese legal system".
>originals didnt have manual saves i dont think
That's why I asked because it certainly makes the HP matter even less but on the flip side I don't think I would like only being able to put the game down, before, in the middle of and after trials.
>yu fucked up and run out of hp so thegame winds back a bit and gives you another chance to actually understand instead of just trying out combinations
I guess that's a decent way of looking at it except in many cases going back to the start of the trial isn't necessary to review the relevant information. That's actually something I would say in favor of the game, the case files and testimonies are really well designed so that you rarely need to remember anything that you can't review right in front of you. Though both issues would be solved if the game had a proper log like many other VNs, maybe they added that in future games but like I said I only played the first 2 so far.

Also my issue isn't with the satire, I get those elements. I just think it goes to far to a point of ruining the emotional impact of a scene in the first game. I don't mind ridiculous things like a prosecutor threatening a Judge with a whip because I can tell and understand it's in favor of making the world and characters more fun and interesting. You just don't want things like that ruining important emotional moments.

ZTD gave us Carlos, so its not all that bad.

The port of 999 replacing the last puzzle was really dumb

i think VLR does a good job at being a sequel. It ups the ante in almost every way with harder puzzles, a bigger more complex flow chart with more locks and more endings. It's just a shame that it was developed with a sequel in mind because it made the negative impact of ZTD spread over to VLR where there are now unanswered plot points that were supposed to be answered in ZTD but weren't.

It still hurts

I only got into ZE 2 years ago and missed all the stuff around it and ZTD, but this hurts still

no no user, you don't understand, poorly done voice acting completely make up for it

Most of the voice acting i heard from the port was okay excluding Clover's and Ace's voices and Zero's terrible voice filter.

VLR is okay but relies too hard on ZTD which is shit
You might want to try
>Steins;Gate
>Umineko(use the ps3 patch if you want to try it)
>Ever17(by Uchikoshi, keep in mind the only non-shit part of the story is the true route that requires you to play the shit other routes)
>Remember11(the direct opposite, everything is excellent until the ending)
>Root Double(by the other Ever17 writer)
>Time Hollow on the NDS
>Hotel Dusk on the NDS

if you're an extremely advanced uber gamer, or just really hate yourself, also try Flower, Sun and Rain.

Dont be too hard on yourself. The first games puzzle for the true ending is pretty cryptic compared to the sequels.

ZTD should be played PURELY for Carlos

Part of me wants to finish ZTD just to say I've finished it, but on the other hand, I hate everything in the story so far other than Carlos

Based

Attached: 1520548756361.png (514x339, 255K)