Choose one

Attached: large.jpg (379x288, 23K)

right has more soul, but left has backlight.
hmmmmmmm

>Choose
>Backlight + rechargeable battery
>No backlight + disposable battery
Hard choice.

Who the fuck would ever want to go back to the OG GBA?

Not even the greatest of nostalgiafaggotry can sugarcoat the awfulness of non-backlit screens. A dark time both figuratively and literally.

Switch Model with GB/C/A port when!

Attached: gbplayer.jpg (800x469, 46K)

Still have the right one
Feels bad man, but it was also more ergonomic

Mod the one on the right for backlit screen and rechargeable battery

Probably costs around the same as an SP with a good screen on it nowadays. Too bad you have to file down the case to fit the larger screen in.

Attached: il_fullxfull.1726266027_hj13.jpg (3000x2000, 1.02M)

Taco with backlight>SP>Taco without backlight

>backlit
>backlit
>backlit
that's a frontlit sp faggots, the backlit ones came later in its lifespan

/thread

Right with modded screen and batery

There were rechargeable battery inserts designed for the GBA not long after launch.

I'll never forgive Nintendo for rushing out the GBA like they did.
If only they waited a bit to add the backlight then there'd be literally 0 reason to buy an SP.

FUCK THE SP! It's so uncomfortable and has no headphone jack.

Cheers to anyone who achieved max handheld kino by modding a backlight into the OG GBA! Bonus points for obtaining an EZ Flash cart for infinite games

Attached: GBA.jpg (5984x3366, 1.08M)

the one on the left is the most perfect handheld design i have ever seen.

SP.

The triggers on the old advance wear out really easily, and they made playing the Mega Man Zero series a real pain.

>wireless keyboard

You can see shit better on the SP so that.

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

Attached: nintendo_gameboy_micro_1538295609_571c6147.jpg (810x1080, 53K)

GB Micro or a DS Lite?

Pre DS when it can play GBA games too

I remember those. You took the back off and it just sorta stuck in there. I want to fucking murder whoever invented them because now every time I find a GBA at a yard sale or flea market, the back is missing.

The only thing that stops the original one modded to be the best console ever made is the tiny screen.

right with the blacklit screen from the SP

based, literal perfection

Gameboy Advance with the backlight screen modification. The SP was uncomfortable to long for extended periods of time.

>Too bad you have to file down the case to fit the larger screen in.
really
can't find anotehr screen with light?

too small, only good for ants

Fuck off with your washed out colors.

I WANT TO FUCK CHION

Attached: gba sp.jpg (570x768, 188K)

Right with backlight mod.

I heard the price on these went crazy. What do they go for today?

I choose AGS-101 which is objectively the best one.

What should I get for handheld emulation lads, PSP or XD?

3dsxl with a ds flashcard is the ultimate console nowadays. It runs perfectly 3ds, ds, gba, gb, snes, nes,... and older consoles are perfectly emulated by converting the rom to cia.

Attached: $_86[1].jpg (1024x768, 112K)

>GBA was rushed
You have no idea what you're talking about.

bought one when they came out, hurt my fucking eyes.

never played it after the 1st week. sold it or something, forgot what happened to it.

Now that I'm getting old and my eyes are getting worse this is literally impossible to use

>giving your console backgrounds of games you can't play on said console
I never understood this shit.

The SP all the way.

The GBA has the best form factor of any handheld ever, and you cant prove me wrong.

Attached: 1550350401200m.jpg (725x1024, 80K)

I choose the QT OL

>ds flashcard
just download the shit lmao

GBA SP NES edition modded with an AGS-101 backlight.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 13K)

Me neither

sure kid, go ahead

GBA was the best era for handheld, all it needed was its own 2D Mario game and it would've been perfect.

I have an SP but I'd buy a regular one and replace the screen with a backlit one.

Man you cannot find a GBA Gamecube adapter anymore, at least not in second hand stores. Online they're retarded expensive.

The woman.

this
sp is cramp central

I need to get looking in my cupboard. I'm sure I have one somewhere.

? you can get them for less than $100

Honestly that is the best solution. Micro is cool too and has brightest clearest screen but it’s nowhere near as comfy as the backlit OG to use for long periods.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.79M)

Rechargeable is a downside user. Long trips are impossible with a 3 hour batter life

Attached: Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow-190311-193316.png (1920x1080, 773K)

Good thing we live in 2019 and battery banks exist

Right with backlit mod. It was the last Nintendo handheld with good ergonomics.

good game.

here's that gameboy you wanted son

Attached: gayboy.jpg (1600x1200, 298K)

SP
>rechargable battery
>slightly better/louder speakers
>backlight
>clamshell design protects screen
>better buttons (i prefer the more tactile dpad but that might be personal preference)
OG
>more ergonomic
>headphone jack
>transparent models

If you get a good mod job on the OG that gives it a legit AGS-101 and a rechargeable battery then it'd be better even if the speakers are a bit more tinny and the buttons are mushier. I bought a "modded" backlit GBA off ebay for $50 or so but the screen has shit viewing angles and the colors are washed out if you look at it straight on. Because of that and the standard batteries I end up using my old SP more even though the shoulder buttons are broke and its a frontlit model because it still looks better than the trash screen I got.

My niggas, ezflash is dope

>nobody had a Gamegoy Advance XD

losers

Attached: smug possum.jpg (614x464, 73K)

When I was a kid I loved my micro, I could take that shit anywhere.

>GBA emulation has been immaculately perfected and is so ubiquitous and easy to install and use on literally anything with small file sizes and zero bugs or errors

>buys a shitty hand cramping SP
>buys a shitty OG GBA with shit dark screen
>buys an expensive modded backlit GBA that has shit sound, fucked up casing, faster battery drain and crappy clicky buttons
>buys a fucking GBA cart with no box
>all GBA cardboard boxes are withered away and games that do have the box have jacked up prices worth more than it really is
>no custom boxes that replicate GBA boxes, just shitty handmade reused DS ones

Unless you get the OG hardware for link connectivity and GBA Player use on GC then you are a fucking retarded zoomer hipster trying to relive the "glory days" that you missed out on for being a diaper shitting baby like Scott the Woz.

Attached: 4539941015925.png (1053x843, 928K)

>dad sold your SP for drug money

Attached: 1457657655196.jpg (1085x1217, 450K)

that happened to me
except my dad knew I liked the old pink panther shorts, so the colour was a plus at the end of the day. Not like I ever took it outside the house anyway.

Glad my dad bought one for me when he did. I been using it for all of my GBA playing needs since. It's totally worth it. Anyone who enjoys GBA games enough to play one once or twice a year should definitely invest in one.

Attached: The price of War.png (907x716, 674K)

>there will be a future of retro gaming youtubers with their game libraries on emulators

Attached: UBWiC1X.jpg (399x388, 24K)

based and a9lh or b9s pilled

I have some for collection purposes, I suppose. And there are some games with built in sensors or rumble.

Wish I had boxes man, bought a lot of the games I own for next to nothing from the rich kid in class after they got bored with it.

anyone have any experience modding
handhelds?

Attached: 14894601_1588508994508369_84416301_o_1024x1024.jpg (1024x579, 116K)

just look where is speaker in gameboy advance...
now put your hand on buttons and think for a 1 second

One on the right was actually comfortable to hold. Last Nintendo handheld that wasn't a geometric shape but actually shaped to fight hands.

Can we talk about underrated GBA games?
This thread made me boot mine back up and pic related is just as unique as I remember. I never beat it when I was younger so I'm looking forward to doing so and finally playing 2 and 3.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (887x1200, 245K)

Why the fuck do so many ham hands faggots need to use the original? The sp plays perfectly fine even if you have adult hands, if you are 600 pounds with sasuage fingers that's on you.

GBA had a light sensor?
What did it do in this game?

>Not using worm light

Attached: worm light.jpg (2070x1327, 590K)

>Last Nintendo handheld that wasn't a geometric shape but actually shaped to fight hands.
I think you mean ONLY.
Ironically, even their console controllers have started being just rectangles since the Wii.

>no headphone jack

5 bucks in a retro shop or from ebay gets you an adaptor

No, the game cartridge itself had a small solar sensor on it. It was a interesting gimmick but dumb in ways, like the game being impossible to play at night.

so where u born in minecraft?

>being too stupid to mod the screen

I win!

Attached: DSCF0031.jpg (1920x1080, 197K)

The cartridge had a light sensor.
Premise is you're a vampire hunter who purifies undead using the power of the sun. It sounds cheesy, and it is, but the game is actually fun. I'm using a patched rom on ezflash so you can control the solar levels with a few button presses instead of going outside, but as a kid it was a fun gimmick. Plays like a campier version of the GBC Metal Gear game. They made a DS game called Lunar Knights that removed the solar sensor aspect but also gutted the stealth elements and wasn't nearly as good imo as a result.
I was hoping one day Kojima would return to the series with the gimmick being it using local weather data to determine weather ingame, but now that he's parted ways with Konami that'll never happen. Some literally who indie dude is working on a game with just that concept but the art is pretty ugly. Kura5 if anyone is interested.

I'm skeltal mode but the original is just objectively better to hold. It was designed with ergonomics in mind.

Sure but an adapter is inelegant as fuck when you could just get a different model.

The official SNES VC emulator is pretty buggy with most injected games, and the unofficial emulators are far from perfect. It's a bit of a stretch to say it plays SNES games perfectly

The disk is harder to find imo

Is there an emubox with the form factor , or even the size of the micro?

The Jap mommy in the middle, then I can play both while she fellates my BWC.

but you can see the button to turn off the back light right there

I got a revo k101 plus, it's pretty cool.

That's not exclusive to the back light models.

Get the hardware without the disc and then use the homebrew version of the disc

Im considering McWill's LCD replacement screen, but I think Im gonna wait for the gba version instead, if he ever makes one. But to be honest I use my game boy player + game boy interface combo more than the handhelds themselves.

Attached: ss+(2019-04-29+at+09.16.14).jpg (875x870, 103K)

Havent got any issues with megamanx serie+ demons crest and a couple more

>my sample size of 5 games doesn't apply to your general statement of a 500+ game library

yeah what's up

>art is pretty ugly
It can't be that ba-
OH FUCK
At least the in-game models are decent enough for an independent project. About on par with your average 1~3 dev on DL Site. If they're gonna make the 3D models look like Boktai's art, I'd rather them make the portrait art look less like Lunar Knights and more like Boktai.

i never had that and lost my gba back anyway
I think it was just something thats easy to lose like ds pens

>left
zoomer
>right
boomer

>illuminates the screen
>at the cost of massive glare
>spend 20 minutes trying to find the perfect angle with no glare
God handhelds were so fucking awful back then

Attached: i-TdpmdWX.jpg (1304x1896, 838K)

>no custom boxes that replicate GBA boxes, just shitty handmade reused DS ones
Why would you want that? Just so they can degrade again?

had no issue and dont know of people who did so fuck off.

there are lists on gbatemp dedicated to which SNES emulator is best to play which game
it's not my fault you're too stupid to realize when something is wrong

Yeah ingame is fine enough for a one man project but the portraits are god awful.
Which is a shame, I love the art style of the Boktai games. Not sure if it's the same artist as Megaman Zero and Dragon Marked for Death but its similar.

ever put LEDs on the buttons, if so where did you solder the wires onto the motherboard?

Post game recommendations.

>playing games stretched

Attached: 1527314774783.jpg (211x239, 9K)

The SP, obviously. I had an SP, and I'm so glad I had the better device. Backlight + rechargeable battery are both much needed features.

You can emulate link connectivity as well.

I got right one as a xmas gift, few years later I traded for the left one, no regret other than not being able to play kirby tilt'n tumble with it

Aria of Sorrow
Mother 3
Pokemon Emerald
SMB3
Astro Boy Omega Factor
Gunstar Super Heroes
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars 2

Just to name some of the best

I always thought the GBASP looked cool

Know a store in wisconsin that comes with the adapter and the disk for $100

Good question, truthfully you have a lot of options. All it takes to power anything is a ground point and an positive point. If you install something that sucks a lot of power you might need a regulator, but in the case of leds you don't need one. All you have to do is find two spots that make sense in terms of wiring. I've never modded a GBA, but were I you I'd see what solder points people use to power frontlight/backlight and go from there. check out /r/gameboy, I know reddit is a nightmare but there is some good info there if you can figure out how that shitty ranking system works

Right with backlight mod.

SP
>clamshell
>neat small square shape that is easy to store
>BACKLIGHT built in
I guess it's a bit better on the hands with the original as an adult, but I don't care, SP all the way. First handheld, before that all I'd played was Genesis and PC games. Also SP is stylish still.
Have this weird "For AGB-SP" case that I have never seen anywhere else.

Attached: Wigglytuffcurled.png (500x467, 176K)

the one where I can see the screen please

SP. No headphone jack aside, there's a backlight. That makes all the difference in the world

neither

Attached: mGBA.png (400x400, 91K)

you realize you can load ds roms from the sd card right

I lucked out when an autist friend of mine gifted me his entire GC collection. He gave me the disc but lost his gba player, so I guess I can get the hardware off ebay for cheap now.

>implying pic/related isn't the ultimate way to play virtua fighter 2 for the saturn

Attached: PSP Collection for PS1.png (1380x1240, 2.44M)

Nintendo sent me one of these after I had trouble with my Nintendo Power subscription

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (500x374, 16K)

This. I wish I had the SP instead, but the DS Lite made up for that later on.

GBA was far more comfortable to hold and play but SP had the backlight and rechargeable battery.

It's a hard choice for me.

Don't talk shit about Scott, faggot.

>Nintendo never made a DS/3ds player for the wii u
What a wasted opportunity.

Attached: images_4.jpg (220x229, 7K)

The soulless post

Attached: autism.gif (480x270, 528K)

my best childhood friends

Attached: 2019-01-13 23_17_29-Window.png (1373x841, 1.81M)

only correct answer ITT

Don't die.

I remember playing some older NES & SNES games on my old symbian way back when

Attached: Nokia N95 2007.jpg (800x600, 46K)

I am legitimately conflicted. SP had a backlight, but the original was wider and felt MUCH more comfortable to hold.