Why was this the greatest era in gaming?

Why was this the greatest era in gaming?

Attached: 1992 - 2004.png (537x115, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because you were underage in that time.

Nostalgia.
The last 3 games I played, RE2make, Sekiro, DMCV, shit on like 99% of the games made in that time.

user, you need to remember harder if you think there was anything special about those years. That span covers multiple generations, consoles, and periods of absolutely nothing.

>DMCV has microtransactions
Try again, Zoom-zoom.

Attached: 6411f38357952413534ff84845b45ae0dfa8b9a76f757fad49e9b7d18df11296.gif (494x740, 2.46M)

Games were games. 2007 was a fun year for games but bad practices were being started. I wouldn’t have complained as much at the time if I had known how much worse it was going to get.

The only one of those years that matters in 1998, because that's the year that Ocarina of Time, the greatest game ever made in history, came out

Do these 12 years just so happen to be contained within your childhood?

You lived through it as a child/ young teen

You are right. Zoomers will never know

>Ocarina of Time is good

Attached: Dsu7b6TUwAABt8B.jpg (474x474, 20K)

soul games
soul OST
soul voice
soul models
soul art
soul story
soul gameplay
I want back :'(
never forget

Attached: sniff.jpg (510x385, 44K)

this was the time when video game companies tried to outdo each other and before they realized that their customers were actual pigs who would tolerate anything

?
Even with micro transactions, what's there shits on 99% of your shitty boomer trash in terms of raw gameplay.

Yes.

Ocarina of Time was great, but those dungeons were an awful experience. World of Warcraft became as huge as it did because it offered a casual experience to gamers that wanted to be immersed in a virtual world.

>The seething zoomer says as he plays more paywalled interactive movies
Sorry you weren't alive to know what fun actually felt like

Attached: bf34a9b05aa5837e20f792221eaf17f096ba45a7e1e255acdbb5d7e16c07c49f.jpg (1280x720, 110K)

Before people realized you didn't need soul and make everything into a mobile cashgrab.

Attached: SPOILER_spoiler.gif (360x360, 2.49M)

because it was right before the internet got big enough to fuck it all up
the resulting mainstreamliness vidya rose to caused a massive drop in relative quality across the board and now we're all forced to listen to game devs supporting the haitian miner revolution or whatever in games instead of just playing games

Based

I'm 34 and own a house. I had the same shitty NES entertainment system with built-in duckhunt and Mario that everyone did. For some reason, the first game my parents bought me was NG2: Dark Sword of Chaos. Since you're posting anime, I know you're probably a whippersnapper that didn't even own a nes/MD when they were current.

But that's not the era of flash games, OP

You are being obtuse on purpose. Try arguing in good faith for once.

This isn't the RP thread, user

>Doesn't include 2005

No Yea Forums. 2004 = the beginning of endless trash.

Is this the "throwing yourself on your sword" tier of dismissal?

Lmao you piece of shit

>2004
In my opinion, It went down hill fast after 2007.
A lot of shit [not just gaming] happened between 07-08.
I was playing wow then. Blizzard was sold to Activion in 2008.
>Really makes you fucking think

Attached: the year the internet went to shit.png (500x680, 96K)

Post hand

hate how most bring "nostalgia" as why that period was the best for gaming.

no nigger, i don't want to pay $60 for a game that has cashgrab DLCs, along with other microtransactions

1995 to 2007. Fight me faggots.

Internet was very limited so you had to make a complete game from the start. You couldn't patch it later or make new dlc/microtransactions. You had to make an expansion pack if you wanted more money out of your game after release.
Not everyone had a voice to shit on your game. There were few gaming magazines for players to read and not many people were on the forums.
Games were being made by people who were passionate about gaming and who had banded together to make games.

?
Wat?

The dungeons are the best part of OoT. The overworld and sense of exploration is a huge step backwards from the 2D games.

To see if you're actually a boomer and not a LARPing faggot

Gaming was not plagued by normalfags then.

You first user. Since we're using hands to judge each other.

This. Post your disgusting grandpa hands or be forever branded a zoomer

I asked you first, you made your bed, now lie in it you zoomer faggot

>NES entertainment system with built-in duckhunt and Mario

Attached: 1498607837962.jpg (326x236, 42K)

Here's my permit. Now post yours.

Attached: 15564700081359209661984872153867.jpg (3968x2976, 2.52M)

Totally my obscure nerdy friend! This wasn't the era of Mortal Kombat, Double Dragon, Mario, Street Fighter and Final Fantasy getting movies. No sir. We weren't seeing commercials in prime time for games and systems, we were the anti normies!

Kill yourself, you weren't even alive in 1992.

Post your permit, I'm waiting.

>no timestamp

It wasn't, this was.

Attached: era.png (472x88, 6K)

Yeah. It's was SO obscure. I mean, it's not like they made a feature length movie to promote SMB3 and it's not like there wasn't shit like national Mario Kart competitions.

I'm at the gym m8 and I have zero incentive to lie. You can go ahead and post yours now.

We have a winner.

Timestamp

>"Too busy at gym, heh"
Come on user
And stop browsing the fucking phone and do some workout bitch.

>I'm 34
>DOB 1983
Something doesn't add up, user. Guess you're a zoomer after all

Attached: 1527344183788.jpg (171x211, 4K)

>ohnononono
Post yours boys.

Attached: 1556470769263101543809098830761.jpg (3968x2976, 2.29M)

Phoneposting typo breh.

I'm sure

I don't know what you want. I posted my drivers permit with timestamp.

You can get a shitpost between every set user. Besides, deady sets require a couple minutes of rest.

2005 should be included because the best game ever made came out that year.
2019 is a very good year so far in games, but I wouldn't call it the peak.

Attached: dmc3.jpg (194x260, 12K)

good games that aren't """""games as a service""""

Attached: PS2 2001.jpg (1024x905, 271K)

1995 - 2005

My point was the gloom-and-Doom people talk about with modern games isn't actually related to game quality. Mostly, people are very nostalgic for old games for some reason that they can't see the forest for the trees.
I think it's a lot of zoomer that do this, because I was forced to expose my advanced boomer age, but it silenced all dissent when I realized I was dealing with 22-year-olds.

How do we even know that's your wallet? Show whole ID or you're lying.

That could just as well be your mom or dad's, post hand alogside it faggot zoomer.

>show the whole ID.
Fuck off you retard. Showing the ID wouldn't confirm fuck all you retarded shit. Either present yours in good faith with time stamp or quietly shut the fuck up. I don't see you volunteering your whole ID.

If you were even tempted to purchase red orbs in DMCV you're an absolute shitter.

Wrong. You're the faggot zoomer. You asked for a timestamp and you got it. Now post.

I also asked for a hand, I didn't get it you faggot

>I don't know what you want.
I'll let you in on a secret user, I'm ot even the guy you originally argued with, I just chimed in to shitpost

You guys are too late with. I got spoiled on Infinity War and Force Awakens before they were even released.

18 year old zoomer here, stop being retarded. Games of that period are objectively better regardless of nostalgia.
Then again, you are a retarded boomer after all, of course you'd love lootboxes.

Video games might be microtransaction filled shitshows nowadays but they're still infinitely better than the brown and bloom era of the mid to late 2000s.

I could, but there's nothing more to prove and there's no point. Eventually you would ask to see my boomer cock so you could suck it with your little zoomer mouf

technology developed enough to make for better gameplay, which people were happy to take advantage of, before the focus became just improving the graphics and adding more cutscenes.

i expect virtual reality to make another golden age once it gets good enough, maybe in another generation or two of it.

Why are they objectively better? Shit like Sekiro, DMCV, and RE2make play better than basically anything off the libraries of NES, SNES, PS1, Saturn, Mega Drive, etc, with few exceptions like Wahoo 64 and Vampire Savior.
>objectively.
Surprise. 18yo zoomer is retarded and uses words wrong.

I'd take brown and bloom over the lootbox shit we have now in a heartbeat

>still won't post his hand
Nigger detected

Because that time period had the best fucking RTS games which will ever be made in history.

I'm white. I'm disgustingly white actually.

>Sekiro, DMCV, and RE2make
>Boomers think this dogshit is good
oh no no no

Because you had 2 and a half generations of consoles that were just for video games. The last 2 generations have been so full of apps and social shit, with only a handful of worthwhile games because production takes longer.

And you are a child who uses his mom's ID to show h's a big boy, which is why you won't post your hand

there were cool game

I just want to go back

Attached: 1547767151756.jpg (800x965, 188K)

These are perfectly fine games and have better immediate gameplay than plenty of dogshit early classics. Is this the level of built in cynicism zoomer have now? Where they just say something is bad and offer no argument why?

>Shit like Sekiro, DMCV, and RE2make play better than basically anything off the libraries of NES, SNES, PS1, Saturn, Mega Drive, etc, with few exceptions like Wahoo 64 and Vampire Savior.
Literally wrong, even then, OP is talking about the era of 1992-2004 yet you list consoles from the 80s lmao

>That could just as well be your mom or dad's
The idea that there are people here whose parents were born in the 80s frightens me.

we need another crash to bring on another golden age

There you go. Post yours my man.

Attached: 15564727975803273356976242551261.jpg (2976x3968, 3.21M)

me too user

Attached: 640full-warcraft-ii -battle-chest-cover.jpg (640x792, 101K)

>Sekiro
Easy as fuck boring shit made for retards who meme "le dark sols is hard" and weebs
>DMCV
Worst in the entire series.
Also microtransactions
>RE2make
RE2 for retarded people.

Good taste as well

meant for

sure, lump in the gen 6 with them.

FUCKING LEAF

Hand is no older than 23, nice job faggot,

Nigga, that's 12 years and like 3 generations. That's roughly a third of how long video games have even existed

Post your favorite games. I'll do the same reductionist shit for you.

Nothing is worse than DMC2.

It was peak gameplay and innovation, yes. As soon as the Xbox 360 came out (2005, coincidentally), the landscape started change. Zoomers feel left out, so they deny the truth. But they shouldn't feel that way at all.

>Asking your dad to take a picture of his hand
Post video to show it's indeed your hand while holding a timestamp

Post em lads.

>boomer is mad at hard facts
As always

Yeah sure. As soon as you post yours confirming age.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

AoE 2's intro comes to my mind, where in the end the king stands defeated in the end with all his men dead.
I find RTS fans standing in the same place, in the midst of the graveyard of all the marvellous and glorious RTS games.

Attached: age_of_kings.jpg (1508x917, 141K)

Why? I didn't lie about being a boomer. I'm 23.

Yep. They usually tried to go harder and more impressive than the competition. Arcades still existed as well, so even fighting games knew they had to be as loud and striking as possible. There was no shilling fgc trying to keep shit games alive, because it cost money to play and there was no esports money. No one wanted to spend continual money on bullshit, so they were more honest.

Pleasing the hardcore was at the forefront. Note that I say hardcore, not fanboys.

I just got back from seeing Endgame. Great movie.

I'd actually argue 97-2007 (and I grew up in the 90s so it's not nostalgia talking). 97 and 07 were both great years for games, and while 92-04 were great for nintendo consoles, I'd argue the mid 2000s were peak for handheld gaming. GBA, DS and PSP are all top tier.

>Westwood
>ensemble
>old blizzard
All of them dead and gone

youtube.com/watch?v=zFUfF3Ws39E
>you will never see kino rts ever again
RIP Westwood

Oh okay, you're worthless to talk to.

Because games weren't mainstream yet so they were primarily designed with hobbyists in mind rather than normies with two digit IQs and five second attention spans.

>it's a 'zoomers think industries somehow magically stay completely static in terms of quality of output for decades and disagreeing is nostalgiafagging' episode

I'm not mad actually, I just want to engage in the same level of dishonest arguing that you do and prove that any game can be arbitrarily dismissed with hand waves.after all, I'm talking to a guy that can't even properly use Yea Forums and replies to the wrong people.

You got me last night with this. I’m seeing the movie tomorrow. Thanks. I hope you trip and fall.

PS2 had third party exclusives locked the fuck down. Untouchable.

>Kane lives cutscene
Sadly he doesn't anymore. EA murdered him.

>all the replies about spoilers
Are you guys fucking serious? You think this is a spoiler? Its a capeshit movie, what do you think is going to happen the heroes win and the villains lose . You are mentally retarded if you are angry or sad that someone spoiled it for you.

I think the first half of the 2000s was the peak of gaming.
t. 1999 kid

Because gaming was about hanging out with your friends and having fun. Now it is about streaming for money and esports for money. There is now no point in playing games unless you can let the whole world know you did it. Pretty much the internet and social media has ruined a lot of what made gaming great.

Attached: 1553458693202.png (811x720, 339K)

Good fucking night you are a try hard, edgy faggot. 2/10 got me to reply.

>outing yourself this hard
you have to be 18 to post here

I'm 35. I confirmed in this thread.

Good night to you too. You are going to need that sleep to grow up into a healthy adult.

>REEEEEEEEEE ANYONE YOUNGER THAN ME BAD
lol fuck off faggot

>I just want to engage in the same level of dishonest arguing that you do and prove that any game can be arbitrarily dismissed with hand waves.
Odd way of spelling "I want to make a shitty 'no u' post"
>I'm talking to a guy that can't even properly use Yea Forums and replies to the wrong people.
Pic related

Attached: epi.jpg (735x541, 35K)

By using your dad's ID

Because you were an adolescent.

>1 of those is a remake of a game from that period
>1 of those is based an established franchise from that period
>1 of those is riding the coattails of its spiritual ancestors

Attached: profound.png (225x225, 2K)

No, 2015-(currently ongoing) is the greatest era in gaming.
1992-2004 is second place though.
2006-2014 were the fucking dark ages.

You’re acting like I’m jumping up and down and screaming... I’m really just telling you that you’re a sad loser for getting kicks out of trolling on Yea Forums.

>zero to limited internet connectivity
Hmm...

Attached: really makes you thinks.jpg (290x174, 6K)

What was the last "real" era with soul here?

Attached: 1554425635207.png (1400x1039, 3.15M)

Most people had Internet by 2004

>2015-(currently ongoing) is the greatest era in gaming.
Ah yes, lootboxes and microtransactions, the pinnacle of gaming

>Wing Commander 3, Privateer and IV was a huge hit, followed later by Descent Freespace and Tachyon
>Space sims were on its peak along with flight sims, Multiplayer helped a lot
>Lots of remembered Flight Sims like Sierra's Sims, Microrprose/Spectrum Holobyte, Janes EA sims and Novalogic's games
>best Point and click games era, also its downfall.
>CRPG's were great, though people saw the Downfall of Ultima.
>SNES and Genesis on its latest years had huge hits still remembered today
>Rise of Multiplayer on PC's and Japanese Consoles thanks to Sega
>Rise of the multiplayers fueled by FPS and RTS games
>DWANGO, kaillera, ZONE, Gamespy Arcade, Heat.net and Mplayer
>3dfx Graphics
>Best Final Fantasy titles not including 8 released on this timespan
>Mechanical Man(Target) vs Im a Medieval Man in forums, a friendly RTS rivalry where both devs would play and have fun.
>EA wasn't Stupidly Evil along with Activision and Blizzard, Bethesda wasnt Tied to a corrupt Lawyer firm.

all of this on PC alone.
PS1, Dreamcast, N64 and early PS2 would be a fuckhuge post

but it was the best timespan for gaming, also the hardest one to replicate in modern terms.

All of them have soul

>Those gen Z titles
Oh god. Is it our fault for finding the taste of gen Z children to be abysmal? Or is it theirs for having such a bad taste?

>if you don't post your ID you're afraid to be outed as underage
>if you do post your ID it's your dad's and you're underage

The most advanced technology before the plebs got online.

SNES era plus PC bliss before steam and console casuals ruined it forever

If all of this was still around today, then we wouldn't have such a shit time.

Because most of the greatest games of all time were made during that era. Pretty straightforward desu.

Was already going downhill pretty fast before then. 2006 was one of the worst years for gaming.

Because internet use wasn't so spread among people.

But zoomers love them as well...

>There is now no point in playing games unless you can let the whole world know you did it
.......Your personal enjoyment?

Did the Rape of Nash cause the Golden age?

Attached: EmeXnjJ.jpg (600x586, 50K)

I don't deny that the cancer of lootbox matchmaking bans for toxicity DLCfest all-servers-company-run 20tickrate faggotry exists.
But we also have an indie scene that's skyrocketing, with games such as Hollow Knight, Undertale, Factorio, and a big chunk of whatever you can find on DLsite and Humble.
Personally I'm willing to pay more for a decent game that I can host locally and modify than a locked-down shekelsucker. Mostly because I'm not willing AT ALL to pay for the shekelsucker.

One thing I would like to see more of is indie -multiplayer- games. Factorio, Terraria, and older versions of Minecraft exist, but we could do with more.
It's a shame Warsow died because an arena shooter with local hosting and server joining that can't be blocked by any company is some gr8 stuff.
CS 1.6 still exists but at this point that's a game that's older than most of the people who play it, and there's probably enough room for more multiplayer indie titles.

Maybe my optimism isn't well-founded, but I see some potential in games' future to improve. Though I hope this trend of everything having a fucking launcher can fuck right off, because that lets a 3rd party (Epic, Valve, EA, etc) block access to your games, and fuck that shit.

Attached: warsow.jpg (1024x768, 212K)

Id go with 1997-2004

Best games and last games on N64/PS1

Last really good sports games NBA/NFL Street Tony Hawk.

Those short but glorious years with the DC

Pokemon Gold/Silver on GBC Golden Sun on GBA

Simcity 3000 RCT Tycoon Diablo 2/LoD

Smash Melee

Tons of other shit I forgot.

Attached: 1556056282885.png (799x589, 1.15M)

What? That's what I'm saying. That is how modern gamers think.

Attached: 1532913855834.png (400x400, 168K)

No they don't. Are you just baiting or actually retarded?

No SJW
Very few women
Dedicated fan base
Less normie marketing and less shareholders/megacorps
Devs actually care about making something fun

Attached: 1555805672977.gif (480x360, 141K)

Bro, think about it.
The average modern gamer is okay with Fallout 4, Amiibos, Matchmaking, 50 millisecond delays on processor ticks, and having access to the games they paid for removed if they don't have the right opinions.
The average modern gamer is a dumpster fire. They have less standards than a small Chinese shipping company.

>Very few women
Fire isn't a problem if it's controlled.
If you let fire go out of control then yes, you can have too much fire. But assuming the fire is taking place entirely in car engines and power plants, then having lots of fire isn't a problem.
The problem isn't women, and was never women.
The problem is women left uncontrolled. By that I mean when a woman can demand something and she is reasonably expected to get it, in a situation where a non-woman could not do so, and where the thing in question is destructive to the game in question, such removing some stuff that's enjoyable to the game's core audience, or banning said core audience.
In this case, while it is the woman that's destructive, anyone can be a butthurt griefing chucklefuck. They normally get told to fuck off. The tinder and accelerant that multiplies the damage women do are people who'll listen to the woman and give her what she wants regardless of whether what she wants is good or not.
Having some basic fucking standards in whether you listen to a woman's REEing or not is like having a fire take place in a combustion chamber or a boiler. For fire, the pipes and plates that channel the fire from a destructive force into a constructive one. For women, your expectations that she doesn't make things worse and your use of basic common sense and fact checking are the channeling force.

While it may be a lot to ask to have gamers get some goddamn fucking standards, it's easier to do that than to ask women (or any group of humans for that matter) to not abuse their power.