Remember when we used to get huge graphical leaps whenever we upgraded consoles...

remember when we used to get huge graphical leaps whenever we upgraded consoles? this is something many zoomers on this board will never get to experience in their lives. cherish these memories. because we're the last ones who got to experience it.

Attached: YBEJmuw.jpg (1742x625, 192K)

There are still huge jumps but they are lessened with PCs becoming more popular and therefore making the change more of a gradient.

However from PSX to PS2, nothing will ever top.

id argue 16 to 32 bit was a bigger change

>There are still huge jumps
no there are not, graphics only improve from "pretty realistic already" to "prettier realisticer".

I would rather be nostalgic for games that don't look like unplayable dog shit

That was big too but the PS2/DC was major because it actually made it possible to have 3D characters actually look good. You can go look at DMC3 cutscenes and they still look as great today as then. Devs only needed a little stylization on their characters to make them look timeless.

Attached: dmc3.gif (500x281, 3.16M)

16 bit racing game

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 483K)

32 bit racing game

its not just the graphics. the availability of good 3d was a revolution to gameplay of all genres.

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1019K)

If anything, zoomers are the ones who have experienced this the most. Zoomers were born after 1995, nigger.

Don't you think that's an unfair comparison? You're jumping between dimensions instead of just a graphical upgrade.

Your problem is art style rather than technology. With all the modern lightning systems in place, devs can create really wondrous stylized games they couldn't 10 years ago. It's just that the industry is not focused on it, sadly.

PSX 3D was rough as fuck. I don't think the tech was ready for 3D games but it still got pushed as the next big thing. It wasn't until PS2 where 3D started to look really good.

Thats the point, that jump in graphics meant more to gaming then just looking better.

You mean the least. Can you even read?

>PSX 3D was rough as fuck. I don't think the tech was ready for 3D games but it still got pushed as the next big thing
no it wasnt. snes 3d was rough as fuck. the new 32 bit consoles perfected it.

Attached: toad-village-2.jpg (1024x691, 419K)

That's not how Crash looked on PSX.

PS2 to PS3 was the last big change, so technically zoomers may have experienced that too. And yeah it was a big change, PS2 games didn't even have normal maps with very few exceptions. The jump between GTASA and GTAIV was mindblowing.

We won't experience major visual improvements anymore, but VR is still yet to properly blow our minds. And when I play that open world RPG where every NPC is a convincing chatbot with a unique personality, I'm sure that'll blow my mind too

Change to PS3 was brought down by the fact that the resolution jump from 480p wasn't that big and most games took a framerate hit. GTA4 is technically impressive but it's not until you play it on high-end PC you can appreciate all its details.

it wont be a big leap though. it will be very gradual.

are you talking about resolution? because both ps1 and ps2 were 480p

Generational leaps were always gradual, just not on consoles. If you were on PC during the SNES/PS1/PS2 era, that whole transition was gradual for you as well

PS1 games were 240p. I think Gran Turismo 1 had a high-res mode that was in 480p but I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

we still had games like doom and quake which broke new ground in terms of what you can do. even crysis was a big leap forward when it came out. but i think thats the last time it happened.

>PC generations
>gradual transitions
I can tell you didn't experience it. From playing Winter games and Monkey island in pink/green CGA to that new 286 that could kinda do flight simulator with fucking -3D- graphics to that shiny new 486 that could do Wolfenstein and Doom smooth.
Hardly noticed a difference in generations.

while the actual jump in graphics isnt that big anymore there is more to games than just poly count. Look at RDR2 for example. Such a desne open world map, a lot of characters with own routines, the animations, weather effects, the animals.

Attached: 31twsLTTwFL._SL290_.jpg (290x243, 17K)

Bioshock was the last game to blow my mind visually. Granted, it was mostly due to everything being wet and very good art direction. But still, it looked mindblowing

DXMD added a lot of new shit and interesting shit but people just put it to ultra on their 750tis went HURR UNOPTIMISED and dropped it.

>Hardly noticed a difference in generations.
that's how I know you don't play a lot of video games. compare your average game from 2018 to one from 2008, there is a huge difference in terms of graphical fidelity and polish. Fucking indie games look better than a lot of the AAA games from a decade prior.

>play ps1 games
>pretty good
>play ps2 games
>still pretty good
>play ps3 games
>again, pretty good
young me never cared about graphics.

>Doesn't understand sarcasm
Yikes. Welcome to the internet

>I rarely upgraded my PC so it wasn't gradual for me!
That's a retarded argument. It was gradual, every year it got slightly better. There was no hard transition between gens on PC, it was just various games competing. I was playing XCOM 2 the same year as Quake, technically they're pretty much a generation apart, but on PC we were playing them at the same time

Attached: diminishing_returns_curve.png (793x377, 69K)

Okay, let me give you several games and you tell me where the generational shift is
Doom 2 - Duke Nukem 3D - Quake - Half-Life - Hitman - Splinter Cell
Which one of those transitions is a generational leap you dumb negro?

The last game that really make me appreciate how beautiful it was, was Resident Evil 2

Attached: 1549921042844.jpg (1920x1080, 687K)

>Soul
>Soulless

There are still many opportunities for big jumps, just not so much in graphics alone.
But in AI or physics we are still close to the PS1 era.