Okay, Yea Forums, let's settle this once and for all

Define "soul". What exactly makes a game "soulful" or "soulless"?

Attached: 1553186322297.jpg (1920x1080, 637K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/h2l4m
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They put effort into the little things.

The intent to make something appealing to a mass market vs the intent to make something appealing to your closest friends (or to your own autism if you lack close friends).
Soul is another word for in-group bias, so you want as much of it as possible.

A product that can be identified easily as the work of passionate individuals through the likes of uniquely crafted aesthetics or mechanics that demonstrate a will to create, rather than to copy or, at best, assemble.

Not true. Gen 4 and onwards Pokemon designs put LOTS of effort into the little things and are soulless as fuck.

/thread

Attached: 1554439440309.png (365x377, 168K)

If it came out between the years 1972-2006 = Soul
If it came out between the years 2007-Current Year = Soulless

old: soul
new: soulless
simple as

if i like it it has soul
if i don't like it it's soulless

Everything made before I turned 18 has soul.

Not true. You were made before you turned 18.

>what it should be
Game made out of passion for the medium=soul
Game made purely for cash = soulless
>what the faggots at Yea Forums use it for
Graphics that resemble muh childhood=soul
Post-ps2 level graphics=soulless

It was just ironic shitposting, but then retards came and thought it was serious.

fromsoft games have soul

Dumb chikaposter.

But Sekiro is soulless.

Find a game with graphics that resemble your childhood but which was made purely for cash.
Result: No Soul, instead only Soya.

If people can make THIS defictional, then why haven't gamers risen up and started demanding our rights be respected yet?

Soul
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Soulless
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

it's expressing the idea of "charm" in a way that allows you to wrap it in fifty layers of irony and memes

You didn't have to get so personal, user.

>Dark Souls 1 and 2
>Soul
No dude
No

Mass manufactured charm is soulless though. It has to be charm from the heart, not charm from a profits-forecasting committee and a targetted marketing team.

Wrong

Wrong

Soul = MvsC & MvsC2
Souless = MvsC3 & MvsCI

chika chika

Attached: 1550135443737.gif (241x328, 3.89M)

who is that why do i see her everywhere?

>Mass manufactured charm is soulless though.
you're misunderstanding what "charm" or "charming" is, "charming" = "soul"

Attached: 1548181555211.png (207x160, 1K)

You're of shit Gen 5 alone has more soul than the entire series

I'll give you an example so that it's easier to understand, see if you can follow:
>Bioshock
soulless
>Bioshock Infinite
soul

If you can't do this whole dance you have business being on Yea Forums

streamable.com/h2l4m

this. Gen5 is carried by its soul, because the actual dex suffered a bit, it was the little things such as customized gym music that carried it.

Attached: 1548358383927.webm (640x480, 2.24M)

Dance for me, user.

Who is this design meant to appeal to?
She smiles and poses without visible anxiety, so she's not a self-insert for the desperate lonely sissy ERPers.
She has too much autism to be a good waifu.
Doesn't look like she's a villain or someone to serve as a foil to another character.

Is this one of those le 50 layers of irony characters that you like merely to prove that you are TRUE WEEB and you will enjoy something purely because it pisses off the unweeb normalfag peasants?
If so I'm okay with that. I like Monika DDLC and she's the same.

Attached: monika ddlc.png (904x884, 492K)

>why do i see her everywhere?

>low-T zoomer weeb infestation
>shit taste of the aforementioned weebs
>uncanny valley rotoscoped dance

Did you guys make this thread for me?

Attached: 1515718991136.jpg (640x478, 50K)

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

passion=soul
focus tested board approved bs=soulless

Huh. I guess Infinite does have soul.
It's a shit game but it has soul.

I would if had a web cam~

Epic, my friend

Attached: 1535707145060.jpg (1000x439, 71K)

Gonna need some sauce.

The devs actually know how to make video games and want to make a good one.
A recent example of soul would be Sekiro, say what you want about the game but the devs do like video games. An example of soulless would be those shitty ubisoft open world games and anything that resembles them.

Attached: 1542026572087.jpg (504x651, 134K)

Waifu=Soul

Copypasta ready for deployment. Do not proceed.

Sing for me then.

>Sekiro
>soul
LMFAO

Not always. There's such a thing as a soulless waifu. Look at Azumanga Daioh.

>Sekino
>soulless
BRUHHHH NONONONONO

OH GOD OH GOD I'M FUCKING RETARDED HUHHHRHHHRHLHGLHBLHHBLHL LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LOL KEK LMAO LMFAO HUHHBHBHHBLGHBLGHBLG

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a good example of soulless.

You will never have a real girlfriend or a real boyfriend. You will feel the crushing pain of loneliness for the rest of your life. Maybe try going outside and meeting people.

She's simultaneously a complete retard while also often being the only one with any common sense.
Also she cheats hardcore at games

ME TOO HHRRR HRR HHRRR I CANT WAIT TO VIDEOGAMES GUYS WHAT VIDEOGAMES CAN I WAIFU HRRR HRRR BRRAAAP

110% Irony bait. Got it. They know their target audience.

I don't really know what you're talking about.

I don't have a microphone either, I know how trite

Damn, what a shame.

If you're so desperate for human contact that you'd try soliciting on a Mongolian Memetic Messageboard, then something has gone wrong in your life.

>sure, let's Yea Forums argue about the nature of the soul...

Attached: file-20190205-86202-19tymqj.jpg (926x590, 43K)

Soul is when the devs seem to actually care about the product they care about and it usually shows with its detail. Soulless is the opposite, its usually a game with the sole purpose is to make investors happy. Take most Ubisoft games for example Far Cry, its just a hollowed out open world with no depth this is classic soulless.

Attached: 1548957881406.webm (656x540, 2.9M)

If you take everything said on here seriously then something must have gone wrong in your life.

You can tell the people making it loved what they were doing rather than crunched to get shit the fuck done and had that impair the final product, and it also is not mimicking another successful title. Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach had soul, the following titles were an imitation riding on the IP, hoping it would make sales. Blizzard games, despite being LCD-appealing money generators, have a lot of soul in their artwork and world design where something like Black Desert has no soul.

>110% Irony bait. Got it. They know their target audience.
I agree but to be fair a lot of the meme surrounding her is the dance.
The real meme character in the series proper is this /r9k/ fuck

Attached: Ishigami.jpg (1920x1080, 142K)

Girls Generation, Love Live, and fucking Tik Tok.
I'm surprised she didn't dab.

Thread should have stopped here

What that dude said for sure. Far Cry used to be pretty interesting and gets shallower albeit more polished at the same time each sequel. STALKER while a buggy fucking mess is a sandbox type experience you can play, run into some bullshit that shouldn't be happening, and never encounter it again because a new mystery awaits. The bugginess is caused in part by the scope of their project being far too large to truly polish and all these different AI systems going ham.

And she sucks at making them too.

Attached: 1545479356251.png (879x1250, 296K)

Do we, the viewers, know she is a retard?
She could just be pretending to be retarded.

Despite being a knee-length skirt, the animators have no problem making it float up to the point of almost giving panty flashes several times. Totally realistic physics.

Attached: 1549708325280m.jpg (1024x1024, 80K)

Have YOU worn a knee length skirt? They can do that if you're walking with an unusually high/bouncy step. Inertia is a bitch.

Are you saying you have worn one before?

this unironically

these are just buzzwords for "thing i like" and "thing i dont like". same with "based" and "cringe".

It's possible and she definitely is smarter than she often appears, but I don't think it is to the extent of "she's actually a super genius" that some people like to meme.

Oh, right. Forgot there's no girls on Yea Forums. Silly me.

she makes pp hard

Attached: __fujiwara_chika_kaguya_sama_wa_kokurasetai_tensai_tachi_no_renai_zunousen_drawn_by_sunhyun__35eaa3e (1700x2417, 3.17M)

Hayasaka best girl prove me wrong
protip: you can't

Attached: RB0yazp.jpg (780x1080, 118K)

True

Attached: 1553465484813.jpg (1280x1818, 674K)

user, trannies are not girls...

post feminine penis

Cringe is when you believe someone has made a fool of themselves, but is mostly used for irony and falseflags nowadays because social shaming does not work on an anonymous anime atrium and trying to do so outs you as a filthy outsider.
Based is when you personally could not give a f u c k about the disapproval or disrespect that others might send towards you. Being based is about being yourself and ignoring the haters.
You can tell someone's a disinformation agent and a social media influencer with an agenda from outside Yea Forums, because they use "Based" on someone who is trying to change another person's opinion. Giving a shit about another person's opinion is the opposite of based.

Jesus christ that T U M M Y

But why are all the stars and galaxies in front of her belly and dress rather than behind her? Stars and galaxies are meant to be really far away.

cringe

yikes

You're too young to remember the many, many TECHNOLOGY threads we had around here before this soul/soulless thing became a meme

People are genuinely appreciative of being able to do something they want to do in a game and finding out that the developer thought about it.

But while attention to detail might be the surest sign of a game with soul, it isn't the entirety of it. Soul dwells in the details, in the gaps between game mechanics, and in the ability of a game to evoke emotion from the player. It's the indescribable sensation you have that you're interacting with the product of a developer, or group of developers, who succeeded in creating an environment which is interesting to engage with -- because it's something they wanted to engage with.

If you want a food example, it's the difference between fast food and food you eat at a restaurant. Someone cooked the food you ate, but their investment in the end result varies widely.

cope

Wasn't that entire thing rotoscoped?

have sex

seethe

incels

Get a Waifu!

Senpai, restaurant food is soulless AF.
You want food with soul? Food made with your family and friends at a get-together. Remember to make some of your own though. And make it with Soul.

I believe it was partially rotoscoped but then had a bunch of in-betweens removed. Other frames were done by hand.

oof

Who hurt you?

Attached: 1552240646760.jpg (125x125, 9K)

chika's chikas

Attached: __fujiwara_chika_kaguya_sama_wa_kokurasetai_tensai_tachi_no_renai_zunousen_drawn_by_heckler_kai__b0d (1200x1500, 1018K)

Take your meds.

oh sweety

You guys are doing it all wrong.

Attached: 1549368732006.png (824x624, 30K)

dammit Bobby

dilate, trannies

the boy aint right

>He has access to games his friends made just for him

I need to hang out in /agdg/ more oftena

Best post in this thread so far

You know the rules

Do you guys remember when the Tribes Ascend devs listened to us rather than Reddit?

Attached: katabatic.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

gen 5 has negative soul

All I remember is that they dumped the game like a cheap whore when Smite turned out to be more profitable.

For me posting the dance without the hand movement at the very start isn't the dance

>Mobile games : soulless
>Console games : soul
>PC games : soulfull

..or they dumped it because nobody fucking played it. It lived only its first year.

How did it feel to be wrong?

Attached: tumblr_oepz87KWul1qioqevo1_400[1].gif (400x300, 809K)

Attached: nintendo bait fixed.jpg (800x917, 370K)

How'd they get away with making Rosa and Hilda so sexy?

Attached: 74143860_p0.jpg (900x1400, 330K)

Attached: nintendo bait22141.jpg (800x917, 283K)

They aren't in California.

Even worse, they're New Yorkers

Attached: 74078485_p0.jpg (900x1400, 539K)

This

nice try, Hi-Rez shill, but you are not tricking me anymore