uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/
youtube.com/watch?v=NUG-XnQmLQE
youtube.com/watch?v=2mDcGDx4QyA
uosecondage.com
forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/research-notes-get-your-lore-on.689/
uorenaissance.com
uorenaissance.com/map/index.php?zoom=5&lon=1494&lat=2480&coords=1323,1624
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're playing it now? I've never played either. How do you play? Are there still other people playing?

Attached: neighbors.jpg (560x419, 81K)

It's a custom free server called Outlands it's pretty big and just exploring it is very fun

Attached: uo_02.png (1920x1032, 2.63M)

I might have to give this a try later on.
I kinda wish I got to play during the glory days when this first came out.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Playing on a totally new map sounds like it would be a fresh experience for a returning player. I suppose it wouldn't matter for me, mind you. It'll be hard to distinguish what's "classic" and what's new.

Download razor for macros and shit, also download the map thingy. You should also get tailoring skill.

I just kinda wanted something other than WoW and XIV
Since there's no story here you just kinda set objectives for yourself and work towards them. Mostly obtaining gold in different ways.
Right now I'm just exploring the world looting monsters to get enough money for a horse

Attached: uo_03.png (1920x1032, 2.28M)

that's the old sandbox mmo format. modern mmos are more like theme parks.

The fuck is that guy doing riding a horse on a roof. Absolute madlad.

Man I loved the single player games and I remember my cousin getting this and I was so jealous.

You should tame your own horses and make your own gear, always make a blacksmith and start in minoc to get started.

Honestly, this is why I cant stand mmorpgs like wow, XIV, tera, etc. Its mindless clicking,
>go to highlighted mission giver
>go to mission area
>kill 10 boars,
>return to quest giver
>he sends you to the next quest giver
>repeat
Yeah you can do some dungeons and such but half the time its pretty mediocre.

I enjoyed Ragnarok online though. I found it to be more grindy than most but when you got a decent level it was fun challenging the MvP's especially with friends, they felt like a real accomplishment for each one and then the endless tower was crazy.

You can do that? I thought taming is only for monster companions, cool

I think the new map is more detailed than the classic plus the classic spritework holds very good in HD

Attached: uo_04.png (1920x1032, 2.91M)

>make first character
>I guess make mistakes
>start game overencumbered and have to rest every couple of steps on the way to the bank
>reroll

great game

You can tame almost anything if you have enough taming skill and musicianship skill.

Git gud

Ultima Online ruined me for the overwhelming majority of MMOs. If I can't PK, I won't play it.
>PK IN GRAVEYARD
It was just like doing PvE carebear bullshit, except the rewards were much greater. You and all your rowdy friends would just cycle through the hot spots and rough people up.

Attached: drop10.jpg (625x452, 135K)

Well I guess it's time to hit that starting area cave again

Attached: uo_05.png (1920x1032, 2.83M)

>in nox

Ragnarok was good because it didn't try to shoehorn in a story and just let the player do whatever he wants

I understand that feeling so well. I never played ultima online but I played a ton of sandbox PVP styled games. I cant recreate that same feeling of always needing to be alert, always needing to be ready. Build your own bases and shit while simultaneously fucking over someone else and stealing their resources, etc.
You see anime's like overlord and sword art and people go "omg I cant wait till we get such in depth games". We already had them, sand box pvp was the peak of gaming but then baby mode came along and people needed their hand held.
I didn't beat very many MvP's, but I don't remember doing a single quest so it was an enjoyable experience for young me. I have replayed it while older but a bit too grindy for me, I tried the mobile one on an emulator, I have to say I was VERY impressed it didn't turn into a dumbed down version so much. It's not neeeearly as good but it's still magnificent for being a mobile game.

I loved pvp on UO back in 99.

Now on every free shard its autists running around in packs of 10 running scripts/macros.

No honour in either

We had macros back then also, though. If you were worried about getting caught running macros, you'd just plop a stack of nickles on a hotkey and go do other shit until you got your STR up from lumberjacking.

>a fucking woodpecker

Attached: uo_06.png (1920x1032, 2.56M)

You can tame and you can even bond with a mount so if it dies you can simply resurrect it.

Hell, you can even train them and have them fight alongside you in battle.

Befriend a tamer and get yourself one of these bad boys for a starter: uoguide.com/Giant_Beetle

Go to a stable master and train yo ass to 30.0

Go to a tamer npc and learn taming skill from him. The npcs usually give you like 10 - 20% of the skill, you'll also want animal lore skill. Musicianship makes taming easier too, since you can calm the monsters and animals with music. There's alot in this game, I recommend checking out some skill descriptions.
uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/animal-taming/

I was hoping I could grind for free

Do people keep in character in games like this or is it classic MMO spam? Im a roleplayfag.

>You can mount a giant beetle

I'm so mad that I won't have the time to start this game until like... Sunday. fuck.

you missed out man, original UO was metal.
I played that shit when I was like 10 or something, it blew my mind.
I couldn't stop playing it, dial up or ney, I don't regret the time I spend in that game at all unlike most of my life, it was like watching a beautiful movie, it was so relaxing to spend time in that universe where you could just make it baking pies for people or mining.
fuck wow

Not quite the same as using UoEasy, or UOsteam which can be programmed to do pvp entirely for you.

you can mount a giant beetle, then slap some bitches,then dismount and have the motherfucker fight alongside you in battle

Attached: tubular.jpg (450x450, 146K)

well you can, but honestly the first 30 or so points in taming don't cost that much gold anyway. And you'll find plenty to grind aftewards

Honestly 20 years later there're still no persistent open world MMOs with sandbox gameplay to just dick around
I mean what other choice aside from UO one has when he doesnt want WoW type?

Attached: uo_07.png (1920x1032, 1.84M)

classic

Star Wars Galaxies was a thing

I had my hopes up for BDO when it was still in Alpha and full honest to good sandbox.
Then they did a 180 and switched to themepark during Beta.

Attached: help.jpg (482x427, 36K)

I tried SWG emulator 3 or so years ago, really enjoyed travelling the planets, but honestly the planets were just too small for me. Also most of the population was in the big cities. Might try to get into it again though

Attached: uo_08.png (1920x1032, 2.49M)

there are attempts like legends of aria but they just feel so lacking. Lacking players, lacking content. Lacking reasons to care about the game. Doing things in a big empty world feels meaningless because there's nobody to care about your improvement and no real goal to work towards.

I'd like to see a sandbox mmo stick to a basic, easily reachable graphical standard and style and start filling a world with stuff. Stuff to craft, stuff to explore, stuff to kill. it doesn't have to be amazingly well designed, it has to be there. Worlds like Ultima online or runescape or everquest were full of fluff content that purely existed to give players something to explore, they didn't have to be part of meticulously designed content paths.

Attached: 13253.jpg (700x400, 78K)

Ashen Empire but its dead.

Another thing I think 2d graphics aged better than SWGs 3d. UO looks very crisp and has top pixel art

I used to play Tibia in 2002-5ish, and while it wasn't full loot you took inventory + 1 piece of gear on a kill. There's no feeling that could approach being killed out in the wilderness by a PK, the adrenaline rush as you know you're about to die. I remember throwing my backpack into a river just to spite my killer in death

>ultima online
always wanted to play that game but i'm not into mmos lately, is there something similar to UO but singleplayer?

Probably the single player ultima games

Ultima 7 aka the best fantasy adventure ever
I tried it too before playing UO, google Exult

Attached: u0001.png (1920x1080, 1.81M)

Shit, I was kinda looking forward to Aria on release.
You saying it's not worth it?

i remember that i played it when i was like 13 and almost everyone was very kind to me even the pk players then some player invited me to his house and i steal his shit... great game would play again just not sure i have the time for it

Attached: 1529424922300.png (657x527, 44K)

How bad is the Shroud of the Avatar? It has mixed on Steam but it is from the people with 1-2 hours of gameplay, when most of the positives are from the people with 200+ hours

>Ultima Online ruined me for the overwhelming majority of MMOs. If I can't PK, I won't play it.
It's like this for me, just with thieving. If I can't get a huge heist off and have to hide in the dark for a month until I'm no longer hunted or annoy PvPers by stealing their bandages, what's the fucking point?

youtube.com/watch?v=NUG-XnQmLQE

The battle gimmick is the shittiest thing known to man, the game has no depth and basically devolved into purchasing housing with real money.

Yeah I stopped enjoying it when I noticed more people using autocure macros, macros to use wands or explosion pots, etc. Just felt like it sucked all the fun out of the game. I tried playing again when the official shards got a F2P mode too but just seeing what everyone was wearing, the cash shop selling armor, and all the themepark quests made me stop soon after.

I really enjoyed playing UO at its peak though. I still go back and listen to some of the MIDI tracks once in a while. I hope there's some virtual reality MMO that recreates the feel of UO at its peak.

Morrowind feels pretty similar actually. I think Todd Howard even said one of the Ultima games was his favorite and probably part of the inspiration.

I hate that the game turned into pixelcrack farming and the addition of the no-PK worlds. Before that each interaction with a player felt meaningful and the game became insanely responsive.

youtube.com/watch?v=2mDcGDx4QyA

He was inspired with Ultima for Arena, so i guess you could stretch it out for Morrowind too.

>pixelcrack farming
I remember installing AoS when it was released and being dismayed because of that. Tried playing the Siege Perilous server but I only saw one other person after a few days and it had a bunch of weird restrictions on what you could do. Might be cool if they did a classic shard like what WoW is getting but I dunno if that would really recapture the magic.

UO had S O U L
No other game boosted genuine human interactions and dynamics like that.

See that dude?
You can pickpocket him.
But you better be careful not to be found out or he will literally kill you, steal all of your shit clothes included, and saw your head off as a trophy to show in front of his house.

Plus on your way back to retrieve your body you'd often find the mark of the master, a handwritten book with a single word etched in it:
"faggot"

No complaining to the GMs for griefing, you simply got dunked on.

>it was fun challenging the MvP's especially with friends, they felt like a real accomplishment for each one and then the endless tower was crazy.
hahahah I played the everloving fuck out of RO and could solo all of the MVPs I guess they were fun at first but I farmed them for cards until I hated myself.

Sigh, what could have been....

No, seriously where is my UO with modern graphics and a few spells + skills to learn.

Attached: video-zu-ultima-online-2_1026593.jpg (533x380, 61K)

you'd be surprised how much money you can make by growing cotton and turning it into bolts of cloth, cutting them up, and then selling them. I ran a few boxes and programmed my characters to harvest and process my mats using the hotkey functions like "last action" in some really crude manner

I played one of the open betas on release, and while it has a lot of potential it just feels empty. In every aspect. Take crafting. The gear you make at the start of blacksmithing and at GM is the same, just with durability being the major difference. It offers very little over starter gear you can get straight away. You take a step out of town you're in a copypaste empty wilderness with a few bandit camps or dungeons dotted between. And a lot of the dungeons (sewers) are literal copy paste. Even a lot of the npcs in different towns have the same dialogue, they didn't even bother to change the names in the npc dialogue. And at the rate they're cranking out updates it'll be years before it's a game worth playing

I miss standing across the bridge and yelling at pkers. I once managed to place a tent down right in the way to piss them off and the admins had to remove it. You could do some fucky things if you stacked desks and teleported on top of them.

I have played UO on and off on unofficial servers for around 15 years. There's a very big Brazilian community for the game, and as others in this thread I never found anything like it anywhere else.

While my thing is PVP, I also played in a lot of RP servers, and that gave me quite the edge against other players when it came to trading blows.

Good times.

You can write books?

Attached: huh.jpg (1200x893, 125K)

Honestly that's not the kind of gameplay I want from this game but I'm glad it's there for the people who care

this looks like fun, will give it a go.

this is why we can't have nice things

yeah, you can get blank books, fill pages with any text you want, title them what you want, and just leave them lying around

>starting with a blacksmith
are you crazy?
selling arrows was easier

it was literally broken. millions of gold out of fucking nowhere it was just something I did for a few days for the fun of it, I did it on a private server though and I had enough money to build my own town

So I'm downloading Outlands. Any tips on where to begin? I've only ever played theme park MMOs

what do you mean exactly?

probably the best game ever made, faggot

Not only that, you can leave them around for anybody to read.
It's a plus of being able to leave objects around the world. Nowdays it's either in your inventory binded to your character, or it gets destroyed immediately on drop. Objects no longer have a "presence" in the world itself

Fucking cancer modern mmorpgs can't even get the simplest things straight

this perfectly summarizes the peak uo experience. players were always dicks to each other, don't let nostalgia faggots tell you otherwise. kal vas flam corp por mofos

Stealing shit and shadow striking with poison in towns was fun.

Best place to build a base? Here are the spots I always tried to get.

Attached: castles.png (1938x872, 2.75M)

Todd didn't work on arena and wasn't even a part of the company at that time

>start playing 17years ago
>be a total noob, learn the game while playing
>save enough to buy a boat
>super excited
>boat fucks up and gets stuck as soon as I deploy it, took me a lot to get enough money to buy it
>call GM
>checks my boat
>"just buy another"
>mfw

>be me again
>save enough to buy a 3room house
>find a spot where nobody seems to travel through
>place it, fill it with my shit
>star messing with the key system to learn how it works
>house will no longer open
>call a GM
>they actually help me this time
thank god

Attached: 1435006704025.jpg (400x398, 18K)

I discovered about the game just recently and sorta got my hopes up for this so called "Ultima Online 2"

I guess it's just not happening

Just be yourself

uosecondage.com

Yes. On my shard there was someone who even played the role of a librarian. Had a house where you could submit your books. There were stories, guides and shitposts.

I spent several hours grinding mobs in the starting cave to get money to buy the chainmail set then just went into the world exploring

I loved boats but remember there being an annoying learning curve to keep yourself from getting dragged off them and stuff. I owned a bunch and I remember having to retrieve or fix them several times. They had nice storage. I spent a lot of time on them because I was searching for a fabled sea horse

I always start with a blacksmith or a tailor.

holy shit that shit existed?

Attached: SeaHorse_Full.png (351x200, 20K)

I played this game for so long and never knew this existed either. UO still amazes me up to this day.

>find random house left completely unlocked
>buy a pack horse and spend the next hour looting literally all of his shit

The best of times

Attached: e4c6a202efb6bb4b48e1bff276abbb43.png (390x470, 8K)

This thread really makes me want to play uo again, but I was really hooked younger. Most of my play sessions would last 30+ hours. Should I?

Really bums me out missing out on all the grognard mmos like UO, Asheron's Call, DAoC, EQ and whatever
Meanwhile I was playing fucking Runescape

Are there any players?

Eh, calling it ultima online 2 is a massive stretch especially when they equate "from the developers of UO" to mean "a couple of guys who worked on quality assurance well after it went to shit"

Anyway. The game has good ideas but honestly the dev team seem like they don't do/communicate much. They put out a solid set of patch notes like once every two months, with very little content updates. And all the big updates seem to be in systems people don't care about that much. I had a few hours of fun with the game during the beta, i just don't see very much hope for the project for a big fanbase beyond super die-hard whales.

compare it to the team for camlelot unchained, those guys are putting out a fleshed out dev blog every week and are able to show off big scale updates to systems. That's the kind of shit i'd be expecting

Or people waiting for houses to fall. Good times.

is this the fabled minecraft beta people keep talking about?

Official shards are really fucking dead and the private servers all alter the game too much. I tried returning to the game on 5 different occasions. Not worth.

they had 2k on release, but right now I havent met that much people when adventuring through the world. need to wait for the weekend I guess

Not sure if it was that one, but I read some of the current free shards are P2W because of what they sell in the cash shop.

I used to like some PvP servers. They'd let you set your skills with commands, spells didn't take regs, you only did PvM if you wanted cosmetics, etc. but shards like that aren't around anymore.

the map is pretty sexy though
I love games that have a good map of their world to show

Attached: worldmap_new-1-980x1024.jpg (980x1024, 150K)

You will never be able to recreate the original ultima online experience.

1. When UO started, there was no Roger Wilco, Discord or any real-time communication system
People actually had to coordinate by email and meet in-game to communicate and plan things. You cannot underestimate the impact those programs have on the way games are played.

2. Back then, even average people had a shot at PVP and fighting back againt pks. Now, people have figured out the whole game mechanics and created complex programs to automate part of PVP. The gap between tech-savy people and casual players is unbridgable. You will never have a chance to have fun pvping unless you start learning how to use these complex programs and tools and they kill the game immersion.

3. Back then you had a very diverse playerbase. Newbies, 45 year old women, PvPers, Teenagers, Adults. Now you only have people that know the game inside and out.

Runescape offered something a bit different to those and you got to experience something else. I played a lot of RS and Tibia, and I got to experience all of the player interaction even if the game was different to UO, WoW and EQ which i played later in various iterations.

Tibia was a gold mine for this kind of gameplay
>each character had limited carry capacity depending on class/level
>people out hunting would kick around bags in the world filled with shitty loot they would either kick back to town to put in their bank or mail to themselves
if you found somebody preparing to mail loot to themselves you could open the parcel, change the label to your own address and drop it into the mailbox if you were quick enough
I must have made a fucking fortune waiting outside mailboxes out in the wilderness doing this

Attached: 58ff423b25dbf.jpg (800x726, 138K)

A world crafted with care and love. Everything is in place for a set reason that is able to be explored via accessible in-game lore in each area. Not a single speck of "oh this is just here for gameplay reasons".

3 very good points.
And not just applicable to that game.

There was irc you pleb.

>Back then, even average people had a shot at PVP and fighting back againt pks. Now, people have figured out the whole game mechanics and created complex programs to automate part of PVP. The gap between tech-savy people and casual players is unbridgable. You will never have a chance to have fun pvping unless you start learning how to use these complex programs and tools and they kill the game immersion.
There's even a pretty big difference between using the classic and enhanced clients that they have available. They don't really seem to care about solving any of those issues.

>People actually had to coordinate by email and meet in-game to communicate and plan things. You cannot underestimate the impact those programs have on the way games are played.
This a thousand times. No IM made in-game items like the communication crystals possible.

>When UO started, there was no Roger Wilco, Discord or any real-time communication system
Yeah, now people will be using voice chat to time their spell dumps on targets so there's basically nothing you can do if people are even moderately capable of syncing. It really affected the game balance.

People still preferred the in-game methods of communicating while playing. Most of us played the game in fullscreen and I remember it took me like 5 minutes to tab out back then.

>1. When UO started, there was no Roger Wilco, Discord or any real-time communication system
>People actually had to coordinate by email and meet in-game to communicate and plan things. You cannot underestimate the impact those programs have on the way games are played.

Bullshit, everyone had ICQ

Oh yeah. I used to hide treasures and leave notes with riddles around, so that people could find them.

>when collecting lore is your endgame content

forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/research-notes-get-your-lore-on.689/

wew

irc/icq is not the same as a real time voice chat.
they did not replace in-game interaction.

You actually stumbled on people having conversations in-game. You could infiltrate guild houses as a ghost and eavesdrop on enemy planning.

As mentioned earlier, you also had communication crystals which were used.

It's not the same but it's still best we have

I fucking love the art style and aesthetic of these games.

UO was great for just being a mashup of skills. Most "builds" only needed 550 to 600 skill points. This meant it was better to have different combat and craftsman characters, but it also meant everyone had 100 or so extra points to throw into whatever.

Some would be practical and take up cooking or hiding, but it was also fine to invest in spirit speak. Forensic evaluation was helpful for hunting PKs and thieves.

real life is the ultimate MMORPG.

Too bad most of you are only NPCs.

Holy shit, that's fucking great, actual good role playing in a videogame.

Attached: 1509997577917.jpg (314x400, 107K)

yeah, even simple talking mechanics had soul and offered lots of options for socialization and interaction
Although I vaguely remember something resembling a global chat at a certain point, but I never really used it.

There was a general chat added in one of the later expansions, yeah. But even back then it was just filled with salty PvP trashtalk.

I had a bar with a couple of friends on a finnish private shard back in early 2000's, it was hidden in a forest , but was near water. One time a GM would come to visit, and tell a story about pirates and shit. Then a pirate fleet would attack our bar.

Attached: 1467055842-2196464725.jpg (867x650, 166K)

S O U L
O
U
L

like, you actually offered drinks and shit?
Did you make any gold out of it?

i wanted to play it for the first time ever so i started looking for infos

i found the official server was free but that people played on privates instead because they messed the game and it sucked

went on to download it anyway but couldnt get over all the outdated stuff, almost instant regret

in the past if you stack up enough desks and teleport up them you can glitch over the walls of houses and break in basically anywhere. I once managed to break into a room a private server used to show off some of the premium items and I stole from the admins because they didn't lock the items down.

There were vendors that sold beer, and you could level your dex with darts.

oh fuck this thread i will install the game again

Attached: 1523295323957.jpg (4032x3024, 2.43M)

Any of you ever get to GM on a private server? I got into the staff on one for a time and I got to see the other side of how things work. The other staff members had characters and we weren't supposed to abuse powers but I'd sometimes move their characters when they were logged out or mess with their equipment. The admin would occasionally pop in and check on what I was doing. It's a strange feeling spending most of your time invisible.

you could train str with a friend at bars too just get drunk enough to lower your stats so you gain xp faster and get in drunken fist fights. bonus you get to train bandages while you're at it plus drinking is fun.

*hic*

Does old school Runescape count?

I tried it just before UO, it's ok, but something about the general style and the size of the world is off. Like everything is so cluttered together and there's no sence of scale

there will never be a better feeling than cutting up someone's body and eating their corpse while their ghost stands there and OoOooOoooOoOs at you

UO on Yea Forums it's about outlands. Kill me.

>eating their corpse
I don't think you could do that.

is there any good shard?

Nah it's about the general memories and no alternatives thread I doubt anyone would care enough to install outlands

just cut the corpse up you'll get skin and meat

No. Only Runescape 1 (the real real real old school) from pre-wilderness days was anything close to UO.

Why the fuck did you kids start calling the later came old school? Nothing old school about it.

whats wrong with outlands?

Attached: uo_09.png (1920x1032, 2.85M)

That's it Yea Forums server! with discord when?!

He doesn't know...

Spent most of my day mining on minoc, took a while to craft a full set of plate that wasn't iron.

I have vague but fond memories of this, was around 14 when I played, visited my cousin who was a mustard, showed me this. He said I can create any kind of char I want, I remember making my first char a poisoner/thief kinda. First few minutes, got caught stealing and killed, had to run around looting people's corpses, stalking peeps wandering through dangerous areas, ganking them and running off with their gear, stealing whenever I can, all the while snickering like some low class bandit. Truly felt like the scum of the earth when people kill me on sight. Eventually forgot about this as I got into eq a week later and never looked back. I barely recall any details on the game, was a poisoner a viable build?

anyone tried
uorenaissance.com ? it seems it have decent player base

uorenaissance.com/map/index.php?zoom=5&lon=1494&lat=2480&coords=1323,1624

Now that I look at classic UO map I kinda want to explore it too

i will answer my own question ... i will try it

Attached: Cbearlivesmatter.png (1005x703, 1.26M)

Hey I will try it too! Stop trying to sound special

Never played it, either. MMOs like UO are always insanely daunting to me because at this point only people with 15+ years of experience play them and there's something "off" about playing an MMO with the knowledge that you'll likely never catch up to 90% of the player-base.

And once again I'm considering reinstalling it and look for a server, but I also know deep down that it's a massive timesink and I don't have the time, and I'd also be playing alone, and don't really want to go for the solo experience.
And by the looks of this thread it seems like the only game that gets close to UO is U7, how similiar is it? Does it has the same comfy aspects such as crafting and mining, or is it more combat oriented?

It's story orientated but doesn't hold your hand
It's more of a party fantasy adventure than rpg

Attached: u0003.png (1920x1080, 1.87M)