Hidetaka Miyazaki

When miyazaki was given free reign to finish demons souls, how much of what we call the "souls formula" was already there prior to his involvement and how much do you think he is responsible for? is he truly a visionary and genius in the video game medium or is he actually a hack?

Attached: 9D1EA83B-5C8E-42AD-9BEC-BD312A7A6477.jpg (640x426, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Tower_Abyss
youtube.com/watch?v=oiGPTI06fn8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He didn't make Bloodborne 2 so he's a hack.

Literally one trick pony.
He has made nothing but literal Demon's Souls rehashes/derivatives.

>wanting from to do what they do the worst

Hack. Everything is reused with 0 (zero) new ideas.

I actually know the entire history of the project and was going to help inform you, OP.
But because of this filth
I won't say anything and keep it for myself.

i just want to know how he went from never making a video game in his life to creating a masterpiece on his first try.

every genius is a one trick pony, either that or he's a jack of all trades etc.

Even DeS was normiebait in retrospect.

good point, but i think bloodborne and sekiro are different enough to say he's not even a one trick pony

>went from never making a video game in his life to creating a masterpiece on his first try

He made a bunch of mediocre ACs before.

The things he seems most responsible are the online elements making it third person, and the story and atmosphere bits, which he mainly lifted from Berserk. FROM had already been making fantasy action RPGs for years, namely Kings Field.

Long story short is that what he got was a complete piece of shit.
The project that was handed to him wasn't even playable in any reasonable way.

His original idea when he set to reworking it, rather one of the core elements, was permadeath.
You died once, you'd go in soul mode.
If you died again before going back to physical body mode, that character would be permanently dead.
This was scrapped at some point and the game developed into the basis for the souls formula we know today.

Basically the most important element is taht this entire series was supposed to have permadeath.

Pretty much. All Miyazaki has been capable of throughout his time at From was ripping off Berserk to levels where I honestly think the mangaka would have won lawsuits.

>is he truly a visionary and genius in the video game medium or is he actually a hack?
Why is every question about a video game director like this? You don't hear people talking like "Did Faulkner REALLY kickstart magical realism or was he just a hack?". Shit dog, think a little.

Yea Forums consists of utter failure of human beings who can only comprehend the world in black and white.

Sounds like they dodged a bullet

>how much of what we call the "souls formula" was already there prior to his involvement
it's just the evolution of their previous games, mainly Kings Field

haha

how does jap dick taste like?

nothing, because it can't reach the tongue at all

He's a good lead of a good team. They compliment each other.

Attached: 1555999502033.jpg (511x512, 31K)

Books are written by one person, games are made by hundreds.

minecraft

the mangaka is too busy jerking off to idolmaster to care about anything, even berserk

we made minecraft
notch was just a drunk incel ripping off infiniminer shitposting here asking for our ideas

That would be horrible for a first playthrough but cool as an unlockable difficulty mode.

If I recall Demon's Souls was more of an Oblivion clone before his involvement. But aside from all of this what convinced me that Miyazaki isn't a hack is looking at the credits of all the games, the best one, Bloodborne, is the one modern From game that had no co-directors and it was all Miyazaki himself. I can see why people think he's a bit samey in his games but Sekiro was a breath of fresh air, managing to be good while having a different combat system and approach. I also believe some Souls elements are too good and I wouldn't go back to a regular save/game over system after getting used to bonfires, so I don't blame him for Sekiro having them and such.
Sadly I am 100% sure that the next game is going to be a Tanimura project and while I don't dislike Dark Souls 3 and the Dark Souls 2 DLC I don't think they're anywhere near as good as BB/Sekiro. Should have PvP though so that will probably save it, I've been feeling like some invasions/duelfagging again after getting done with Sekiro.

Attached: maiden in black 3.jpg (1000x1142, 388K)

You know books very often have editors right?

I hope they never do PvP and coop again.

You say that, but maybe i need to remind you that when DeS was new and we were trying to get most of you dumb fucks to play the game, most people here couldn't handle ANYTHING about it.
They complained that it was hard to the point of being impossible, they complained that they were dying 600000 times each boss, hell most people weren't even able to reach the first boss in the first place.

The idea of permadeath being the standard SEEMS extreme in theory, but if it was implemented all the way from DeS most people playing these games would've gotten used to it and just accepted it as a normal and expected trademark mechanic of the series, like everything else that makes these games what they are.

Attached: 52.jpg (1200x800, 100K)

so how would that work? once you were permadead the game would just be over and you'd have to start all over again?

i do. imagine pvp with sekiro's combat system hnggggggg

Yes that character would be "done".
It's like diablo, you'd have to start again with a new character.
However i'd imagine the game would be structured a bit differently to ease in this approach, keep in mind i'd say a good 80% of the game was designed with permadeath already removed from core design.
It was scrapped very early on.
If it was kept in longer the game would've ended up very different in the overall progression, i imagine they would've made it easier to go back to body form etc.

Not that guy but I love their multiplayer. And its entirely optional. Offline exists. That said I'm really hoping they update their early 2000s tier netcode. If its shit tier again I will be pissed. I've put up with that for a long time. But there is a point when jank becomes unforgivable.

online balancing ruined dark souls 2 and 3.

No one wants to get 30 hours into a game and then have to start all over. That will never be an enjoyable challenge to most people.

>optional
I want them to focus more on the single player experience.

It's even less justified in that case.

As a person who only played Demon's Souls and BB offline I ask you, what more do you want mate? It's a fully functional game without online.

I fucking despise the online component of these games, and i hate that any criticism is always met with "ohh ur a baby u don't want to be invaded waah wah".
No you fuckheads, i just want 100% of the team resources and times into making the singleplayer game itself better.
I don't want them to spend time and resources balancing around the dumb as fuck P
VP meme community with their retarded needs.
Any time spent on that shit is less time that should be allocated making the game itself better.

Attached: 1333582816549.png (423x478, 163K)

>Bloodborne, is the one modern From game that had no co-directors and it was all Miyazaki himself
But this isn't true, both Demons Souls and Dark Souls have Miyazaki as sole director too

B team are responsible for 2 and 3's problem was that it wanted to be Dark Souls 1. Neither were ruined. They were both good games. Just not as good. You people on Yea Forums are so absolute its no wonder you don't like games.

Attached: only a sith deals in absolutes.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

I agree, by dark souls 2 and 3 were boring trash offline mainly due to the online balancing shit.
moreso 3 than 2.

>implying people on Yea Forums play games

i agree with this. but maybe a completely separate game mode where you can enter into a boss fight type of mode where you fight one on one with another online player in a closed arena. that would be really cool. that way you wouldn't have to change the main game at all for pvp to exist.

2 and 3 are trash.
If you like them, you're also trash.

>you people on Yea Forums
are you not on Yea Forums?

this is the only patrician and objectively true opinion on souls games

no, this is /sm/

>I want them to focus more on the single player experience.
And they did. Its called Sekiro. Sekiro being singleplayer only was the right call.

I am excited for their multiplayer to come back in future titles. It doesn't need to be in their next game. But I'm hoping it will.
>multiplayer BAD
And yet so many people love it. If its in the next game then thats awesome. If not. Thats awesome too.
>limited resources should go to MY favorite aspects of the game
Your temper tantrum won't get you anywhere, darlin'

I disagree, if anything their problem is that they weren't enough like Dark Souls 1, at least in the right ways. Sekiro is a lot more like Dark Souls 1 in terms of world design and bonfires/idols (no obligatory level-up waifu). Unfortunately still has warping from minute 1 though.

Okay. Good luck with your life I guess.
Yes. I am on Yea Forums.

I did say modern, I wasn't including them. I should have been more clear though. I hear some people thinking Miyazaki just had a fluke with the original games or lost his touch, and my post was trying to show that Bloodborne proved that it wasn't.

Haven't played them, can't comment on that. Heard they're bad, though.

The word hack is so overused on here at this point that it's just become meaningless

Brainlet opinion. Online components never ruined Souls PvE. Dark Souls 2 and 3 have a lot of problems PvE-wise but none of them stem from anything PvP related.

they are

>your argument is wrong
>never points out why it any alternatives
>calls others brainlets
okay retard

>Couldn't even surpass the 20 year old Severance
He's a hack.

>Severance
>not rune
underage.

Rune has basic combat.

>never points out why it any alternatives
Did you have a stroke?

>rune
>not die by the sword
underdevelped sperm

Forgettable but they are alright.

I think I'm always mid perpetual stroke

King's Field. You could have googed this.

Well it's not like the most I was responding too was particularly high effort so I didn't feel the need to go into it. And it's still a huge topic that's hard to put in few words, there are threads to this day arguing about why DS2 and 3 are mediocre and whatnot. But what I can say is that the only thing that could have been called "ruined" by the online components is miracles in DS2 which were neutered to uselessness. And that's just a victim of bad balancing, it doesn't need to happen every time. As a good example of why I say this, Dark Souls 3 weapon types were a bit more diversified after patches since they buffed a lot of crap. Straight swords are still the best option but niche things like Twinaxes were outright terrible before and they ended up pretty good because they buffed them for PvP, which like I said improved build variety in PvE. Aside from that I'd argue Dark Souls 2 was actually saved by PvP since it's the only area that is actually outright remarkably good and makes the very few strengths of the game shine, the viability of varied builds. If it weren't for PvP I'd have never played that shit again but I ended up spending a lot of time on it and generating a lot of good memories in a game that otherwise wouldn't deserve them. And Dark Souls 3 has worse PvP but it's still good enough to keep a core of people playing them when it would have been forgotten otherwise. Online components add spice to these games. Sekiro was nice not to have them because the deflect system is impossible to pull off if you also need to make it work in an online latency environment but going from that to saying PvP ruins games and Dark Souls 2 and 3 are bad because of it is a brainlet opinion.

Attached: kaname2.jpg (1195x1187, 169K)

>the most
I swear that wasn't there when I proofread it. I've been absent-minded all day, sorry. "The post".

Look he made jank trash games before japan Studio handholded him and made Demon Souls.
>Dark Souls was an asset flip of DeS that's why its good.
>Dark Souls 2 was pure fromsoft.
>Bloodborne again made by Japan Studio.
>DaS 3 asset flip of bloodborne thats why it was passable
>Sekiro or Dark Souls 2: 2, was another made purely by FROM, that's why it was so shit.

>went from never making a video game in his life
he worked on games though, he was an enthusiastic dev who had faith in his ideas

Japan Studio having a big influence on Bloodborne is a meme. I know you're baiting but I don't want other Anons to get the wrong idea, and it's not the first time I've seen this meme. All the main devs for Bloodborne were From's staff. Also Sekiro's co-director is Bloodborne's lead game designer and it's almost tied with BB for the best From game. Dark Souls 1 is also superior to DeS in every way but atmosphere and main plot, and the interconnected world with no warping is a masterpiece that carries the game even with its shitty rushed lategame areas, awful PvP and other problems, and it was not inspired by Demon's Souls in any way, it has also never been reproduced again in any other Souls game.

what you said made sense until you called sekiro dark souls 2: 2.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Tower_Abyss
>2019
>I am forgotten...

I heard the durability mechanic in that game was an order of magniture worse than even the bugged DS2 durability.

>Unfortunately still has warping from minute 1 though.
I hate this so much because without warping they would be forced to make the interconnected world. These worlds are very fun to explore and they also add more tension to the gameplay. Really feels like they dropped the ball and are just being lazy when they let you warp from the beginning forward in their new games.

>Bloodborne's core idea was apparently brought to From by SCEJ out of a desire to work with Miyazaki, and there was more of a co development on that title afaik.
youtube.com/watch?v=oiGPTI06fn8
Japan Studio came up with the ideas and provided development work.

he's right.

I think no warping would generate more distaste from casuals than even the filter enemies like Chained Ogre, because those are sort of excused in most of their minds by the Souls difficulty meme. Lots of shitposting about backtracking and whatnot. Modern Souls fans just want nonstop combat and the atmosphere of exploring a world hasn't been done as well as a result. Sekiro was pretty good in that it was more nonlinear than the other newer games, but warping really stunts the feeling of adventure. Sometimes games like Bloodborne have some nice examples of interconnectivity like the surprising connection between Paarl's arena and Old Yharnam but they serve 0 gameplay purpose and are never used since you can always teleport to where you want and that's faster than taking a bunch of useless shortcuts. Things like being lost in the Catacombs / Tomf of the Giants and emerging back to the comfiness of Firelink Shrine are now gone forever because you can instantly teleport from a dangerous place straight to your safe place at your whim, and it's even encouraged by putting a lot of useful NPCs in the hub that you want to visit often.

That doesn't mean much. The collaboration was Japan Studio's idea but I don't think it's safe to jump from that to saying anything from the core things that make Bloodborne so great weren't from From Soft. Bloodborne's setting and lore fit Miyazaki's style to a T, for example, and all the boss fights are very From-like just with a lot of love and passion put into them. I admit Bloodborne has a lot of animation polish and variety compared to other Souls games and that can probably be chalked up to the collaboration, but the core things are pure From. Ah and the other exception is the OST. It's so much better than the other games and without Sony it wouldn't have been possible.

Fuck Bloodborne 2. That's a sequel that isn't needed. The ending of Bloodborne 2 was already great, and it was already fairly conclusive.
Make something cool and new instead. Like sci-fi Sekiro or whatever.

Attached: 1453827537284.jpg (1600x900, 309K)

Yet. Making a masterpiece takes time

I'd only like a Bloodborne 2 if it's not an actual sequel but some other very unrelated place in the same universe with new interesting Great Ones and such. Hunter-like conquistadores fighting against natives and their "gods" they call forth in their desperation to avoid being wiped out, or some pirate-like setting with weird creatures coming from the sea and unexplored islands, things like that, and even still From is always at its best when they're making some completely new setting/plot. The main reason to want a BB2 is gameplay things like the trick weapons, it'd be pretty unlikely to have them in any other game and they're too good of an idea.

What if we live in the worst timeline and Tanimura makes Bloodborne 2?

from is really good making sequels right?

I don't know if it's actually some sort of sequel curse or just the fact that From puts B-teams in charge for them.

Demon's atmosphere was incredible, very oppressive and hopeless, where as Dark Souls being set after the collapse of the world felt like less was actually at stake. As much as I like the interconnected world of Dark Souls I think it works against the game in places, where you have to run through long, long corridors so that the map would connect somewhere for a shortcut. This was probably why Dark 2 and 3 had a semi-connected world that relied on bonfire warping more than Dark 1.