What is the best way to reward exploration in games?

What is the best way to reward exploration in games?

Attached: zelda-exploration.jpg (656x334, 261K)

Idk, maybe unique loot or pieces of lore or just a great view

upgrades for weapons you already have, cute cosmetics, new USEFULL items

Attached: 1555971217649.jpg (800x1132, 116K)

Big effects on screen and loud fart noises announcing to you you've just unlocked a fast travel location

More exploration.

Prove me wrong.

Attached: 1529023834.jpg (184x184, 5K)

Exploration itself is not what deserves rewarding, exploration should lead to challenges or puzzles which after completion you are rewarded for doing so.

If you explore for a reward and your reward is always exploration...

interesting landscapes and environments. lore. whether it's an npc to get info from or just books and shit, I love that shit

Shrines and Korok Seeds.
Shitloads of shrines and Korok Seeds.

Attached: IMG_0003.gif (220x440, 102K)

Came here to post this so I can't.

Make the exploration fun.

Ideally, the true plot of the game

Came here to post this

Oh shit

Cosmetics and bonus features. Exploration should be just for fun, not required for upgrades. It's where BoTW missed the mark for me, the puzzles rooms are nice but too many are just a combat encounter or no puzzle at all

Attached: 1552145992573.jpg (875x1000, 731K)

More content, be it sidequests, equipment, dialogue, bosses, even whole new areas.
I recently played Bloodborne and it did this so well, there's lots of missable stuff like this that's really nice when you do find it.

The problem is that eventually, the game runs out of interesting things to give. There are always more places to explore than mechanics implemented. I think Dark Souls balances this pretty well, even if most of the loot you get is garbage that you will never use or variations on the same thing, at least you can read their descriptions or play dress-up.

sex scenes

>What is the best way to reward exploration in games?

The other Anons have already said it, but: unique loot (whether that be materials, cool/cute outfits, crafting recipes, weapons, etc), unique monsters, enemies, or even entire bosses, interesting characters, quests, or interactions therein with them to expand upon the story or a smaller new one.

You can also reward exploration with lore/plot relevant information or interesting & beautiful landmarks n' so forth. Do you happen to remember the Leviathan Skeletons in BOTW? Each one was the fossilized remains of a different WindFish from the various Zelda games across time- it was great fun hunting them down.

you don't

it should be interesting in-and-of itself

If the world was interesting, you shouldn't have to be baited with a carrot on a stick to explore. You need to scale back on your world, or have failed entirely if the player doesn't naturally wanna see everything.

Not every nook and cranny of a world has to have a high value item in it, but there should be at least some treasure you can sell

Reward curiosity. New items, upgrades, access to new locations, etc.

Attached: IMG_20181011_093924.jpg (2048x1536, 441K)

Hand placed loot no randomgen.
I've been playing fallout 1 and exploring is actually pretty rewarding cause you can find interesting loot and it always feels balanced.

The main questline. Old school adventure games, like Zelda I, made exploration fun by tying it directly into the game's progression. Modern action adventure games use exploration solely for side content, mostly some kid of collectable that isn't worth the effort put in.

Attached: cal arts kot.png (865x803, 173K)