Why the fuck do games do this? If you give us a rare items that can't be recovered, of course we're going to hoard...

Why the fuck do games do this? If you give us a rare items that can't be recovered, of course we're going to hoard. Who design this and thought it was a good idea?

Attached: rare items.png (1080x1341, 561K)

Dragons don't exist so how can they hoard?

God doesn't exist but you're still going to Hell.

Doing this shit in a Fire Emblem game is always fun.
>beat 99% of the game with iron weapons and steel weapons
>reach final boss
>give everyone magical god-killing weapons of world-destroying power and steamroll the final chapter

>it's a twitter screencap thread

Not the games fault faggots like the twitter retard in OP are too pussy to actually use their items.

I don't think I've ever used a Master Ball in my life.

Attached: masterball-nve2ioa57xvw13gucy6gnneioo23be6vg0ir3g0ptk.png (300x300, 70K)

>i'll save as much as possible till i need it
>finish game without using anything pretty much

They're emergency items to give you an edge if you're shit at the game and start losing. If you don't need to use them, then that just means you're doing things right.

I do this aswell
>Never use potions
>Save that magical item that is destroyed after used forever
>Use only the shittiest weapons on a game with durability, never use the actual good shit

The trend of items being restored at checkpoints and coming in greatly limited quantities is so much better than this.
You always have your options and the game always expects you to use them to the fullest.

no probalo

Attached: file.png (589x114, 9K)

I have used it to catch 3 lvl Rattata

Playing CRPGs cured me of this. Playing games on the hardest difficulty helps also. They help when you're trying to fight something past your level to get loot early

>being a mindless consumer
>not solving everything with the power of his mind

I just run naked using as little equipment as possible, love games like MGS or Deus Ex that let you complete the game without even a gun

I use items when i feel like its necessary to use them. Which does mean at times i will use a super rare consumable but sometimes means i may never even use a basic healing item because the game is too easy.

The boss can waste his turns using the plus 50 mana potions I've never touched as much as he wants.

but you don't know when its a checkpoint so you hoard it as much as posible

I do this many times with usable items in Soulsborne games. I can’t risk some one-of-a-kind things being wasted and having to start over again after learning from that mistake.

Thats just a regular pokeball with warios undies stretched over it.

The correct solution is forcibly removing excess items at certain intervals. In Heretic your item stacks are reduced to 1 after every level, and inventory is fully reset after every episode, like in Doom. This strikes a balance between saving powerful items for tough spots and letting loose with artifacts ad hoc. In Hexen the only item that gets removed is Wings, so by the end of the game it's likely that the fight against Korax becomes a huge item spam fest and he dies in seconds because of this. Only on the highest difficulty do you come close to running out of items, simply because you need to use them to survive - and this is assuming you know where you need to go.

So it's also an issue of pacing: if you're playing a game for the first time, you don't know whether you should save items for some specific time, so you usually play it safe and save items since most people play to win. I should also note that the Heretic/Hexen series was among the first FPS games to have such an inventory system, which thereafter became a mandatory cliche to be included in every single FPS game -- usually being a pointless mechanic, because it isn't really part of the core design and more of a tacked-on feature that could be ignored.
If there are clear rules when excess items disappear or become useless, and the game is divided into predictable units between which this purge takes place, then hoarding is less likely to happen.

>Rage
>Get the BFG 9000 for the final boss
>"Cool I'll save it for the final boss"
>

Attached: 1375324030501.jpg (250x326, 10K)

>Exponenentially better items should all be equally common
That's shitty design that removes challenge. In a lot of games, they're rarer to find but you can buy more for more money than more common items.

>Instead of developing item sinks, punish the player for not using it

Good game design right here

I think Baldur's Gate did well in this by giving special items a set amount of charges for uses (at least that's how I remember it being)

Gotta keep the rare items for this super hard boss that never appears.

This. When is this shit getting banned or given it's own containment board. I don't have twitter and don't go there at all. But I feel more exposed to it's faggotry than on somewhere like facebook for instance.
Why? Why do you faggots go there?

Attached: bandcamp.png (1815x963, 2.26M)

>”no trope fuck YOU”
>use them all up while doing to boss
>next 20 tries are barebones
>go back to being conditioned not to use them

Attached: 8A7C7C85-C317-423A-8C30-3667DF7F5400.jpg (200x200, 21K)

I actually used a soma the other day in persona 5 (and not on the final boss) so I'm feeling pretty proud of myself

an easier solution would be to just have an expire timer on the items. You get like a few hours to use the items or they start to degrade into lower versions. A full full potion becomes a 3/4ths heal potion, then a 1/2 potion. plants and animal stuff rot over time so you can't hoard it.

It also bugs me that RPGs make you decide on critical things like stats and character builds before you know a single fucking thing about the mechanics and how it plays.

I wasn’t a PC gamer in the 80s when this stuff was widespread and popular. what did people do?

yep this was nice, tho if u had a lot of money you could recharge items with gold.

>Those condition removal items.that you will never ever use because your healer can just remove it easily and effectively

I will never understand

Read the manual

for that one time your healer has amnesia/mute

>he cant deal with uncertainity

how do u even live

fuck up a lot and replay

why waste MP when you can just use a random item you found for free and save MP for heals?
If you run out of them you can just go back to status healing spells

I hate to say it but maybe an alchemy gacha cauldron would be best. You can take stacks of unused potions and toss them into a pot and hope for random +permanent stat booster items. Another good idea is a side game in the game where you can open an item shop and sell your stuff.

Attached: 1555543606279.jpg (425x282, 23K)

>The correct solution is forcibly removing excess items at certain intervals.
This desu. Thief 1&2 nailed it. Your inventory is reset at the end of each level, and you spend money collected on the previous mission to buy equipment for the next level. So you're incentivized to use powerful items when you find a good opportunity to do so, and hoarding them for too long means not getting to use them at all. Then Thief 3 came along and made the inventory persist between missions and "too good to use" syndrome rears its ugly head again.

>I wasn’t a PC gamer in the 80s when this stuff was widespread and popular. what did people do?
Either get a good starter build from a magazine, or reset the game many times.

it was actually the default to have magazines and guides for your games

if you were going to go to the expense of playing the game go to the slight expense of doing it proper/completely

I think the best way to make sure that an item is used is to require it to be used. Simple as that.

E.g. if I think of Ocarina of Time, most of the items in that game NEED to be used, even things like bombchus are required for some puzzles.

However, there are things in that game that are not necessary - e.g. Farore's Wind, Nayru's Love, ice arrows, deku nuts. I used to play through the game and never use those items at all. These days I use deku nuts for Dark Link, since I saw on the internet that it makes that fight so much easier, but I don't really use the other items at all.

So yeah, the best way to make sure an item is used is to REQUIRE it to be used in order to beat a certain enemy or complete a certain puzzle.

I used it for Mewtwo in Gen I because otherwise it can take ages with Ultra Balls and it's too much effort. There's no better / rarer Pokemon to use it on in Gen I really, so you may as well use it on Mewtwo.

In Ruby and Emerald I'm pretty sure I used it on Latios, and in Fire Red I used it on Suicune, because those two Pokemon are roaming Pokemon in their respective Pokemon, and they're a bitch to catch otherwise. And there are no other better / rare Pokemon to use the Master Ball on in those games.

Unlimited TMs were both a blessing and a curse to pokemon

this
a hundred times this

My god

I started using rare powerful items in Strange Journey Redux willy nilly instead of hoarding and I still have yet to run out of them

Attached: 1526610631919.png (339x321, 72K)

I remember there was some single use magic item in NWN that had a cool description stating that these sort of items force adventurers to make a decision on whether to use the item to get out of a situation or save it for later, and the items are usually looted from the corpses of adventurers who made the wrong decision.

>he starts with 0 mana and will use an attack where the dmg is equal to his mana*5 once he finished chugging your potions

yeah its shit. at least add a way to respec.
can make it super fucking expensive, just dont punish people for not knowing the hidden formulas.

I thought the system in Fable was pretty interesting where you had to get your multiplier higher than chug all your potions.

at first i was like "praise god" and then i found out that it was gay

all that happens is that as you go through the linear game you go through a linear progression of attack power moves that you come accross. instead of shit like gen 1-4 where you get some really good tms, sometimes early on, but you better make fucking good use of them. dont fucking teach bubblebeam to that raticate.

modern pokemon is beyond saving but i think a good compromise is having tms back, and just a literal 1:1 ratio of HMs, acquired in the postgame so that you dont have to do new games if you want to make a legit competitive team. but so many people generate pokes that this isnt even an issue anymore so TMs are good to come back regardless

but all the items you listed are super useful.
oot is a great game because you can approach encounters with all sorts of items for a different effect.
its not the games fault that you are too dumb to experiment.

The most annoying RPG cliche of all:

"But thou must!"

This, if you use up all your limited resources constantly it usually means you're failing at the game

imagine being fucking retarded

I'e never used a divine blessing in my life

Unlimited tms are good for competitive or whatever but yeah they work better in a normal playthrough if you can only use them once

I used mine for the 3 dogs in the johto series. Otherwise just used it on random shinies before I found out about the autism that is shiny farming through eggs.

I did this too and I was pissed because I didn't even get to use it in the end

Actually that's a good point, I literally never used TMs in Pokemon. Never. None of them. Ever. I didn't want to lose a TM and then be like "actually I could have gotten a better Pokemon with better EVs and IVs to learn that move". I never actually did bother with EVs and IVs, but just knowing that I would be throwing away the POTENTIAL to make the best-possible Pokemon if I wasted my TMs on a Pokemon without knowing their IVs and shit, meant that I just never used TMs.

I think it's absolutely a good change that TMs are unlimited-use. I think it should have been that way all along. It makes it much easier to craft your ultimate team, and also to experiment. Single-use TMs are stupid I think - like I say, I literally never used them because of the cost of doing so.

I'll never play a pokemon game without reusable TMs again.
One time TMs are a shit idea. Way too restrictive for a series that is all about changing your party nonstop.

Imagine being so fucking stupid that you can't understand my point.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (640x723, 30K)

DQ8 did this pretty well

Stop shilling your twitter, no one cares you disgusting tranny

>boss too easy, it doesn't worth using this rare consumable
>boss too hard, I'll probably die and waste this rare consumable if I use it.

Attached: 1491639329046.jpg (736x948, 139K)

Unlike most Twitter screencap threads this one actually directly involves discussion of game mechanics so it's alright.

>It's the games fault that I'm autistic!
Fuck off. The reason those items never get used is because the game never gives you a good reason to use them; usually the game is fucking easy even without touching items. If you'd rather take a game over than use a consumable then maybe try seeing a psychiatrist or something.

no you're the retard.
the items are there, and they arent even limited. there is no downside to using them and you still refused to do so and you require a game to spell it out for you. you are the stupid one.

>but yeah they work better in a normal playthrough if you can only use them once

But you should be able to get multiples of every TM. Maybe put a big price tag on them, or limit how many you can carry,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this fuck trannies

>twitter screencap to start a thread

Except they keep posting it, they're obviously shilling their shit for more followers

>he needs super items to beat the game
Regular potions are for chads

but this happens to most people i talk to

Attached: 1554234835511.jpg (184x184, 6K)

>Decide to actually use the OP limited items for once in a game
>Later on get stuck on bosses because I don't have the OP limited use items
Goddamn you Atlus

wrong post, was meant for

Why the fuck twitter humor is all the same unfunny trite shit:

Person A: Says X

Person B: Says Y

Person A: *insert punchline*

Just fuse nigga

The best option is to find/be given demo or "free trial" TMs on your journey and lock unlimited use TMs to the last city, pokemon league and battle frontier. You could also sprinkle a few here and there to give the player a taste of what's to come.

Stop being autistic, you fucking retard, and just use it

Yes we should only circlejerk about nintendo games. Just like in my favorite reddit.

Attached: reddit poster.jpg (1000x1191, 100K)

literally me with the resins

>item gives permanent stat points to one character
>can't decide who to use it on
>never ever use it

its a phobia of mine, especially in survival horror games like Alien Isolation.
i never even used anything else than a medkit, and i ended up with a full inventory of items

Nigga I had a full team of high tier level 99s and still only barely beat YHVH after a fuckload of tries because I had no more bead chains

>Just follow a guide exactly to the letter
>Fuckin games these days are movies

Attached: dva dirtyy.png (500x398, 92K)

>doesn't dump all of them into the MC
weak

This guy gets it

I started using all my rare consumables during the closest boss battle when they would come in handy and it's been great. Turns out if you're decent at a game you'll never reach that hypothetical situation where you need a limited resource otherwise you're stuck. Games, especially jrpgs, tend to give you a decent amount of these rare consumables anyways, assuming you do even a little bit of side content.

>Not putting all the speed on Robo
Look at this fucking loser and his lack of minmax

>N-N-N-NO U!
Great argument.

>T-T-T-THE ITEMS ARE THERE!
But they're not required, there's no reason to use them, especially if you're playing for the first time and you don't know what's coming next, so you will think "I need to save my magic just in case something that uses a lot of magic is about to come up". It's poor game design. OoT is a great game but it isn't perfect. Sorry that you're too much of a fucking brainlet to understand this.

Attached: brainlet2.png (800x729, 48K)

Dragons guard treasure, you troglodyte

>in a game where you're changing your party all the time e.g. SMT
>your MC is the only fixed asset
What, does Atlus expect me to use this rare shit on demons I'm gonna throw away in a few levels?

Attached: 1554715612848.jpg (1024x907, 59K)

oh no no no no

Attached: 40%.jpg (265x449, 48K)

then you are a brainlet
the cost of using them inefficiently is less than the cost of not using them at all

always use them on the main character
he's the only one who will always be there
other characters might even leave permanently

>we should actually discuss video games on a video games discussion board
Yes, faggot.
>discussing vidya is reddit
Fuck off

Does Yea Forums use stat-up items on the character who already is high in that stat to make them super high, or use them on characters who aren't that great in that stat so they become slightly good?

Attached: 1520934433062.jpg (368x368, 33K)

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

Attached: 1484230578339.png (655x977, 310K)

>brainlet poster being a brainlet
we got games like DmC thanks to fucktards like you.
dont reply anymore.

>Any/all
>Xie/xe/Xer

Is this a parody account

No it's not. OP could have just made the point himself instead of posting a screenshot of someone else's words.

that's what makes incenses great though
>no reason to use them on demons
>full heal
>stats are useful so you want to use them as soon as possible
>end result is a healing item that is powerful and rare enough to be worth saving while also wanting to use it at the first opportunity you find

I'm probably a faggot, but I'll generally opt to bring a character's shitty stat to mediocrity before boosting their high stats even higher.

>using a walkthrough is patrician if it's printed on paper

>use rare powerful items on enemies
>renders the game in an unwinnable state
Fuck code veronica

there's no point in raising a physical attackers magic stat, but raising a squishies defense is often the right call.
if you know that your character is close to outspeeding enemies you can invest speed items. otherwise its better to just raise it on those that are already fast or on characters that benefit greatly from going fast like healers/supporters.

Attached: 1549756011476.jpg (995x876, 84K)

having an item and not using it is the same as not having it
learn to let go, digital items are not the experience the game tries to convey most of the time, so don't make it so on your head

>I'm probably a faggot
Well you are on Yea Forums

depends
if a character has high HP but low DEF, then an item that boosts defense on that character is more useful than on any other character

FE actually helped me break this habit. Got tired of niggas hitting for two damage aside from Hector, Sain, and Kent.

dont you think weaknesses define characters as much as their strenghts?

I used it on the snorelax in gold because the overworld sprite was big.

Depends on the stat distribution of the game, and if stats can be maxed
The classic example is dumping speed tabs on Robo because his attack is already so fucking high it doesn't matter

Used my very first on a Ditto. I regret many things in life, but this isn't one of them.

>trusting party members in JRPGs
All stats boosts on the MC all the time

In one of my FFVIII playthroughs I almost completed the entire Triple Triad catalogue, was only missing like 10 cards I think.
Right in front of the door to the last boss I turned all the cards into items and used them in the fight. You get shit like invincibility potions from the rare cards, it was pretty fun.

>bitch about how games aren't realistic enough
>game gives you realistic supply problems
>"waaaaaahhhh, now I have to post on Yea Forums about it"

What's worse, single use potion that fills up everything that can be filled.
or extremely powerful weapon with like 10 or less uses before it breaks for good

using iron weapons on anyone with high defense if you got the situation under control is the way to go since it allows you to make more attacks thus gaining more xp

solution: maximum stack of said resource is 2.

I hate consumables with a passion and I always ignore any consumable crafting system present in games.

>game gives you items but punishes you for using them

Attached: 665269-928401_20050729_001.jpg (1024x720, 153K)

could tell just from looking at the avatar they all draw themselves with frizzy hair because they don't take care of it

NO
ITEMS
EVER

Attached: Enel_Shocked_Face.png (608x1119, 681K)

>he cant deal with uncertainity
>how do u even live
user, this is literally my life. Please don't tease me.

Because games are pretty much as a whole designed to be beaten without the use of items, least of all limited ones. If you hit a point you needed the limited and didn't have it, you'd be fucked. I'm not saying nobody doesn't use consumables but there are very few games that require even using a basic potion.

Never played that game, don't know anything about it.

>gets triggered because i'm giving him a dose of reality
Lmao, absolute pottery.

Attached: brainlet3.jpg (235x232, 10K)

Used all my Jizo Buddahs on Demon of Hatred because I was to lazy to refight him. So boring boss.

Attached: 14459679825.png (640x480, 338K)

wait wait wait wtf