Japananese non-jrpgs

Are there any other japanese rpgs that aren't really jrpgs in the traditional sense?

Attached: 1_r4U5zjS8Ai9GZYa4Mjn46g.jpg (700x300, 59K)

Nier ? Yakuza ?

>Are there any japanese rpgs that aren't jrpgs

Attached: 1412464429547.png (400x455, 169K)

Dragon’s Dogma

Did you mean to say JRPGs that aren't anime?

What does it even mean? I hope you do not mean "its photorealistic artstyle so its not japanese!" level of bullshit

>japanese rpgs that aren't japanese rpgs

No, I don't mean realistic, I mean not all western rpgs are realistic either. I'm talking about certain traits that aren't common in jrpgs but are in wrpgs:
>stealing from and killing npcs
>resolving conflicts through other means than combat
>skills that effect things outside of combat like persuasion or stealth, knowledge etc.
>choosing what skills to level or progress
>non-linear storytelling, multiple choices throughout the game

And in general more organic storytelling. In wrpgs the mechanics are usually strictly seperated from the story, in wrpgs there usually isn't that distinction.

Ah so you want a jrpg that plays like complete ass then, THEY DON'T EXIST.

It's called cRPGs. Japs don't make them.

I just want ones that aren't movie/book games basically.

No you just want a wrpg but japanese.

I just want a game that is:
>japanese
>an rpg
>not a movie/book game

Monster Hunter
LISA

There is always Kings Field and Shadow Tower also by FROM. If you don't mind turn based you could also try the Japanese Wizardry spin off games.

>its photorealistic artstyle so its not japanese
Photorealism isn't too popular in western rpgs either.

>LISA
LISA isn't japanese.

JRPG is not a genre, all Japanese RPGs are JRPGs. You might as well be asking for dry liquid water.

Jrpg is a different sub genre.

jrpg=/= Japanese rpg

>resolving conflicts through other means than combat
>skills that effect things outside of combat like persuasion or stealth, knowledge etc.
That's not in Souls though is it?

>non-linear storytelling, multiple choices throughout the game
This is very overstated about Souls.

based

It is this though:

This man is a retard.

Nigga what you want to play is literally a WRPG so just play thise

I've played a gazillion of them.

JRPG is not a genre, you're thinking of Console RPG (Western term for games like DQ/FF) or Light RPG (Eastern term for the typical Console RPG)

>Light RPG
Literally nobody says this stop trying to push this meme.

What you’ve described is a wrpg. You’re a wrpg fan, and not a jrpg fan, and you should stop trying to be a poser

>I'm talking about certain traits that aren't common in jrpgs but are in wrpgs:
Play more games, because it's clear you haven't played anything.
Also, murderhobo mechanics aren't RPG mechanics, I'm really fucking tired of this meme and I blame Ultima for making it popular together with a lot of other sim game nonsense that has no place in the genre.

what do you fags think when you hear jrpg
its stuff like dragon quest, final fantasy etc, this is a genre. It was originally split by japan and the rest of the world because japan had a pretty genre defining take on rpgs

jrpg= a game made for weaboos, pedos and faggots.

Japanese rpg= could be anything really, including jrpgs and decent games like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma

Not that hard.

I'm a fan of games that tell a story without relying on non-interactive cut scenes and a fan of japanese fiction. I just want something that has both.
>Play more games, because it's clear you haven't played anything.
That's literally the point of this thread.

>I'm a fan of games that tell a story without relying on non-interactive cut scenes and a fan of japanese fiction. I just want something that has both.
Play literally anything that isn't final fantasy then

>what do you fags think when you hear jrpg
Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ys, Kingdom Hearts, Tales, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade
All vastly different things and playstyles.

>its stuff like dragon quest, final fantasy etc, this is a genre
This is correct, its' called turn-based RPG, or if you want to get into semantics; console RPG.

> It was originally split by japan and the rest of the world because japan had a pretty genre defining take on rpgs
This is false. Although the terms JRPG and WRPG date back to the 80s, they were used to differentiate between Western and Eastern turnbased RPGs, Western and Eastern strategy RPGs, and Western and Eastern action RPGs. They belong to the same genre, but have different design philosophies because of regions.
WRPG and JRPG weren't commonly being used as genre descriptors until the very early 2000s era when early online vidya journalists started forcing the "WRPG AND JRPG ARE GENRES!!!" meme since consoles were beginning to become powerful enough to host Western-style RPGs when beforehand Western RPGs were a computer thing and Japanese RPGs were a console thing.

Attached: bateman.png (527x553, 594K)

Xenogears/saga/blade, Mother, Persona, SMT, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger were just like this as well.

Nier as well.

So you want a jrpg where there is never any loss of control ever then.

Well, sure, as much as possible. Or at least the few titles that stand out in that respect.

Etrian Odyssey

Thanks.

>thread is nothing but semantics arguments even though literally everybody knows exactly what OP means

How surprising.

>OP has to specify exactly what he wants because his post is a contradiction.

Tard.