Remember when Alan Wake was supposed to be open world? That would've been nice...

Remember when Alan Wake was supposed to be open world? That would've been nice. Too bad the Xbox 360 didn't have enough RAM or whatever.

Attached: 6399aa3e8df906bed793f9261d19fbb67dffb7c67b820ec6da6e5b39a9560312.jpg (1920x1080, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jDQ3jAdELf4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I liked this game for a few hours but then I realized I was good without a Running in the Dark with a Flashlight simulator.

>make horror game
>make the enemies as unscary and nonthreatening as possible

I remember hearing that the entire world exists in the finished game. Like it's all the one map and all the areas are connected but you're just trapped in one at a time.

I remember running through this in one sitting back then. Remedy is a one trick pony. Control looks bad

Microsoft all but cut that shit out outright. A fully open world AW wasn't going to see the light of day.

With Control, we can probably expect the metroidvania aspects to be fully included as they say.

>Remedy is a one trick pony.
You don't know what that term means, do you?

I don't like Control's setting. Reminds me of Superhot and Portal.

It's closer to an SCP kind of game, from what's been shown. They even said that was the main inspiration behind the game.

They intended for it to have a whole day/night cycle so you'd be exploring the town by day, and hopefully stockpiling enough to deal with the Taken at night. And if you were on the road away from town and supplies when night fell, you'd be fucked.

You can still see some aspects of this in the finished product, but they've been utterly stripped down to near-nothingness.

>remember when xbox had some pretty good exclusives?

Some of the more overlooked ones are still great. Why the fuck Microsoft wouldn't port Lost Odyssey on PC?

Because it's super mediocre. The only reason anyone cares about it is because it was on the wrong console; there's a reason why "FF12 but uglier and with worse voice acting and they can't even call the abilities the right things" wasn't a system seller.

Yeah. And it was even explorable through glitches up until a month or so before launch. Then they disabled all the collision data for everything outside of the current area so you just fall through the map.

It does annoy me that they never implemented a free cam mode as an easter egg when you finished the game. The game even came with a map of Brightfalls.

So is it worth playing American Wasteland? was it an actual sequel?

No and no

It's not a sequel. It's basically a horde mode with a couple cutscenes to justify a higher price. The stuff with Alan's doppelganger is fun but there isn't nearly enough of it.

If you haven't played them, the Alan Wake DLC is actually pretty good and more surreal than the base game. It's better than American Wasteland at any rate.

American Nightmare. And it does continue the story, yes. From what I recall, it follows Alan getting trapped in the Dark Place. Ignore

Fuck off, it's good, it's what Final Fantasy XIII should have been. Its only real weakness is how main story's writing is weaker compared to Kiyoshi Shigematsu's.

>is it worth playing American Wasteland
Abso-fucking-lutely
>was it an actual sequel?
To Alan Wake? I'm pretty sure it came out before it.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 57K)

>American Nightmare bad
>The DLCS good
Holy fuck. The DLCs RUINED Alan Wake. The story was rather elegant in its cyclical nature and the ending was perfect. Then those godawful DLCs cape and didn’t add anything and were a boring chore to get through.
At least Americans Nightmare was entertaining and the doppelgänger was fun.

Didn't the DLC get removed? fuck, I never got a chance to get it..

>5 hours of Alan running around dreamland and being mocked by Mr. Scratch
>No storyline progression whatsoever
>"It does continue the story"
Nice try, Sam Lake

Funnily enough, American Nightmare featured more open world elements than the main game. You're not likely to see many Taken if you decide to hunt down all the manuscript pages.

Literally takes place after he gets trapped in the Dark Place.

Yes, but it might not even be canon if by some miracle Remedy gets to do Alan Wake 2. They use the Dark Place as an excuse to do an arcade shooter and play a Kasabian song

The ARG they did pretty much reveals that the entire universe is just a mote of light flickering within the Dark Place. Going by that alone, they could really do anything with Alan Wake 2 if they get the chance, and they could make American Nightmare remain canon via Dark Place shenanigans.

Yeah, let's blame it on microsoft, even if it makes no sense.

>t. Microsoft shill

Who cares? The game was great fun and kino, a shame we'll never get a sequel.

Eh, the DLCs were serviceable enough. They were just surreal, which is fine for something like Alan Wake.

Maybe we'd get one if MS would stop being a bunch of cockblocking cunts.

Alan Wake did not need any further elaboration. It basically said “He’s a fictional character and Thomas Zane wrote him as his personal Mary Sue to try and get out of the lake. It didn’t work and now it starts all over again.”

Don't think those DLCs really said anything about the relationship between Zane and Alan. They're allies, and Zane was trying to glue his mind back together to give him a fighting chance against the Dark Place. That's about it.

Here is a guy looking around the map in free camera mode, giving you an idea of what the open world version would have been like. Seems like WAYYYYY more interesting than the slightly above average action horror game we got.

youtu.be/jDQ3jAdELf4

Remedy can make a ton of real cool shit, but for some reason or another, they always get fucked over. Hopefully with Control they can change that.

Attached: 1506476377025.png (723x505, 459K)

Delet.

Attached: Control_12-20-18.jpg (600x338, 115K)