DMC5 is Disappointing

I know people who liked it are going to passionately disagree, but I think DMC5 was pretty disappointing. It played it safe with a lot of the elements, and the new ones were largely underwhelming. After 10 years, I really expected better.

Safe
>Dante plays basically the same as DMC4 but with 1 new mechanic (Sin DT)
>Nero plays basically the same as DMC4 but with 1 new mechanic (Devil Breakers)
>big reveal at the end is just getting back a mechanic from the previous game (Buster)
>BP is the exact same as before, with no cool twists or customizable options to keep you busy
>same 20 mission structure as before - no option to play all of a character's missions in a row, no "Divergence Mode" at release or even announced, no Mutators/Skulls that introduce new challenges for replays (like Must Style or randomizing enemy spawns)
>brings back stuff from old games just because nostalgia (Artemis, Geryon, Gilgamesh)

Disappointing
>lame music
>really bad color palette and environments
>V is a cool concept but boring and mashy
>fan-fic tier story (Vergil again)
>waste of Lady and Trish
>not that many memorable bosses
>not that many impressive moments at all
>Devil Breaker implementation is meh - having a fixed order limits freedom in combat
>Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda are too easy
>no roadmap for DLC or additional content

I know dedicated fans of this series like some of the traditional elements, but after basically a whole console generation this feels kind of dull and limited. It's a good game, but it feels kind of low-mid budget.

Attached: dmc5.jpg (900x1138, 514K)

I agree

I disagree

i respect what you have to say but i just cant relate at all

After the hype has worn down I’d say 3 is still superior. It’s still a great game though

I agree. I haven't had as much fun replaying it because it's a lot of the same shit again. Bloody palace was the biggest disappointment, having to wait a whole month only for it to be the exact same thing as 4's. Also the throwback music tracks and ex colors being dlc instead of unlockables is fucking retarded.

DSD's summoned swords overwriting Swordmaster and sword formations are basically new mechanics.

>Nero plays basically the same as DMC4 but with 1 new mechanic (Devil Breakers)

This seems like a huge simplification. It's like a new weapon class for Nero, yet you're simplifying to "1 new mechanic." You also forgot Knuckle Bringer which completely changes how you play Nero.

>Devil Hunter and Son of Sparda are too easy

This kind of shit is really stupid; You have a higher difficulty for a reason if those are too easy for you. Hell or Hell is just a harder version of Son of Sparda if you're autistic enough to complain about specific difficulties not being hard enough.

How is this disappointing in the context of a new entry in the series in any way?

Aside from your really fucking retarded nitpicks, I also agree that the game is kind of a disappointment because the story, level design, and music are shit. I don't play Devil May Cry for the story or need it to be some masterpiece, but it should definitely contextualize the action on screen and get the player invested in whatever battle scenario is going on. I agree with the shitty Vergil wank and complete disregard of Lady, Trish, and even Nico was really dumb. Lady and Trish are basically only in the game for fanservice, but who would be satisfied with them showing up, getting smacked around and stripped down, and then sitting on the bang bus all game doing nothing? They also went through the trouble of introducing a new character and gave her a background connected with the other characters, ripe for drama, but she isn't worked into the game's story at all and is mainly just menu decoration.

And because I don't have any investment in the fights due to the story, attention gets drawn to how boring the levels are on a pure gameplay basis; they're just hallways between fight rooms.

Attached: 1553479733416.png (1294x1000, 1.7M)

>music
>shit

>lame music

kill your self

what did you expect bloody palace to be? it's always been just a colosseum

It is, for the most part, because there are large stretches of the game where no music really plays. Even if you pay fucking money for the throwback tracks and set those to play, there are large swathes of the game where they don't.

Game's music is mostly shit and unmemorable.

I dont remember a single boss because the difficulty was too low. You can literally just button mash to beat everything.

My biggest problem is the amount of steps and waits to retry a mission, at much you can pull checkpoint vs Urizen MUH POWER and vergil since its just the boss. But every other mission is three loadins screens and a game over animation if you didnt just choose retry, once you start getting into harder difficulties it really become an annoyance.

3 is better but 5 is still one of the best action games ever. easily top 5.

Better than 4, but doesn't feel quite as complete as 3. It's the best action game in its genre right now, i'd take this over any dad of war or hellbalde type shite. Also this game looks amazing without sacrificing frame rate and I'll support any game that accomplishes that honestly.

game is very well optimized, looks excellent, good bosses, better combat than 4 (but worse than 3), even had some really ambitious parts (like V, who worked out better than anyone expected). it's a really really good game.

lol all your safe shit is mostly shit

I agree tho with the OST being weird, tracks are very different from each other and a lot are hit or miss, specially Dante's theme, also the color palette is mostly gray and a bit of red so yeah those are the only I agree with

Does anyone wish there was just a bit more color in some of the environments? I understand that the series loves its urban subways, warehouses and industrial environments to contrast with the whacky demon shit but I felt some of the rooms especially towards the end needed just a splash of colour, maybe its just the cost of a series like this going for a more photo realistic look. In 3 all the levels were very clearly lit, imagine that game running on this engine

>Four new melee weapons, two new ranged weapons
>Some of E&I and Coyote A's moves have been revamped

Is this not enough for you? Did you want Dante to play completely different from how he's played in the past? What the fuck were you expecting?

>Stepbrother has color-impaired vision
>Literally can't see the Red Orb rocks in some of the stages and I need to point them all out for him
>Eventually, he reached a point where he could kinda guess where there are orb rocks based on the level design and just attacks blindly on a hunch and usually gets it right

after 10 years 5 is pretty much everything I could have asked for. it's definitely not perfect, but I love the hell out of it.

>no co op

And that’s why I stopped playing it.

What the fuck are you saying DMC5 was everything I wanted

>what I wanted
>a complete game that played like DMC 4 but better
>what I got
>a complete game that played like DMC 4 but better
What the fuck else do you want?

How the fuck was it "playing it safe"? DMC4 came out 11 years ago. There was no game like it before DMC5's release. If anything DMC5 following in its footsteps was incredibly risky for Capcom, I'm sure there was pressure from all sides to """modernize""" the franchise (i.e. streamline everything).

I despise this idea that a franchise with a profoundly unique identity can only "take risks" by destroying its identity (usually in favor of a more streamlined "modernized" experience). That just leads to a homogeneous industry. Let DMC keep being what it is. DMC5 changed and added a ton of stuff, it just didn't reinvent the wheel because it didn't need to. It's so refreshing to get a game that's confident in its own identity and doesn't feel the need to chase trends or arbitrarily change things.

I hate these buttonmashers, but I really loved Chaos Legion back in the day. Is V'e gameplay feels like it or what?

I agree. It tried too hard to be DMC3 again instead of being something new. It's still a good game, but not what it could have been

It's not PC to say on here. But yea I dont think 5 was that good either.
Dr. Faust and Cavalier are awful.
Dante feels like a self caracature, nothing new to say or do.
This isnt really fair, but i hated having to kill bird and shadow.
And the level asthetic...my god the level asthetic is so bad. Maybe it's because DmC raised the bar on that one too high (sorry fags the levels looked amazing, inb4 blur/orange, get fucked mate)

the rumored multiplayer could have really changed it. At this point mission 13 is more fun than BP by a long shot

>but I think DMC5 was pretty disappointing.
It was, but I don't agree with most of the stuff you mentioned.
As far as I'm concerned:
-The Good-
>Nero feels a lot better to play and all of his breakers are fun and add a lot of much needed variety
>Dante doesn't pulverize your fingers and wrists anymore
>Balrog is the best gauntlet type in the series, Ifrit, Beowulf and Gilgamesh are pretty much a joke now
>Faust hat is a great "joke" weapon
>V turned out better than expected
>Gameplay in general feels and looks much smoother than the previous games
>Nice to see so many old enemies coming back and all those little nods to previous games
>No cancer tier enemies like Blitz
>King Cerberus being Cerberus+Trismagia was rad as hell
-The Bad-
>They still haven't made any enemy that can stand up to you, even Furies are powerless against anyone but V
>V's style feels very out of place even though it turned up surprisingly well
>Gunslinger and Trickster are still shit
>Campaign design is boring, character locked stages are a mistake
>Launches are ridiculous, enemies stay up in the air for ages before falling down, which coupled with the mediocre enemy design and passive behaviour feels pretty damn bad
>Bosses are vastly shit, even the so hyped Cavaliere Angelo was a snoozefest, Elder Geryon is a joke compared to Gerion, Malphas feels like a glorified mook and gimmick bosses like Nidhogg or Gilgamesh are atrociously bad.
>The music is trash, there's maybe two or three good tracks in the whole game
>Vergil as a final boss was disappointing outside of the kino moments
>BP is a massive disappointment
>Trish is even uglier than she was in 4
>DSD is some of the ugliest piece of shit sword I've ever seen and Sword Formation is a totally unneeded mechanic for an already incredibly busted character in an easy game
>Buster is still too strong

All in all it's still a good game, and I knew it was never going to be the game I wanted it to be in the first place.

Mashing wint get you very far, alot of the fun in DMC is experimenting with an overwhelming amount of tools and abilities, keeping up your dtyle meter etc. If I were to ever recommend these types of action games i'd say DMC[/spoiler]V[/spoiler] or Ninja gaiden black are good ones to start with

It's no DMC3, I can give you that

He has five new movesets, a customisable loadout, all his returning weapons from 4 are heavily upgraded, and he has rebalancing and new moves for all of his styles. Not even reading further.

Attached: 1516469590476.png (420x282, 111K)

To bad Dr Faust and Cavalier are so terrible that they cause innocent boys to be raped.

Don't lie, you were never innocent.

>dr faust and cav are awful
This is the worst opinion in the thread

>>They still haven't made any enemy that can stand up to you, even Furies are powerless against anyone but V
Show me a video of you finishing level 30 BP, with Judeccas and a dozen antenoras without using SDT nuke. Enemies are challenging, riots, chaos, fury, projectile goats, angelos are all better than the punching bags that is DMC3 and DMC4 roster. The only way you make them passive is if you launch them several times to the roof because lack of anti air attacks (in 4, frost have full screen vertical ice pillars, angelo have butt poke anti air and assaults have psycho crusher, not to mention no clip enemies can follow you to the ceiling).

Red line is literally Dante's best move. It's his equivalent of calibur but also a launcher.

>Ninja Gaiden Black
>Ninja Gaiden 2
>DMC1
>DMC3
>Godhand
>Bayonetta
>Bayonetta 2
It's 8th

>>Dante plays basically the same as DMC4 but with 1 new mechanic (Sin DT)
>styles are better then never
>gunslinger is actually useful
>separate e&i
>dka
>>Nero plays basically the same as DMC4 but with 1 new mechanic (Devil Breakers)
>air taunt
>punchline
>a shitload of breakers
>>lame music
>devil trigger
>my dear friend
>nico theme
>gallery theme
>dante jukebox
>cavaliere theme
>nidhogg theme
>the duel
>>really bad color palette and environments
>only colorful DMC was DMC4/DmC

I bet that if you try to play DMC4 now, it won't click for you anymore because of all the new shit 5 added

Also, DMC5 budget was really strict because Capcom didn't had much faith in the game, so the game was kinda butchered that's why the second part has very repetitive scenario and Lady&Trish weren't better used

>payline
Fix'd

Bayo 2 was shit. 1 was fantastic
>you didnt play it cuz wii u
No, I played it and witch time being needed for some enemies and other shit kills it. I would replace it with Wonderful 101

>I hate these buttonmashers, but I really loved Chaos Legion

Still better than DMC5

I'll be honest, I loved the game and I managed to get through almost your entire list with no problem. I might not agree with all of your points but at the very least I can understand them and accept why someone might feel that way. Then I got to this

Nice try, OP. You almost had me.

Attached: Troll.jpg (250x200, 15K)

DMC5 is a great game. It's nowhere close to being GOTY (RE2 and Sekiro are both lightyears ahead) but it's still worth 60 bucks.

Agree
Personally, and I know that directors say "there are no angels in dmc", but Fuck they already mentioned them in dmc3 and dmc4. It would be refreshing if they took the angel thematic, discovering why they separated from demons or something like that, instead of the same "I'm a bad demon and wanna destroy/rule the world and/or bring demons to this world" theme

Attached: images (23).jpg (236x274, 12K)

You're wrong but hey, believe whatever you want fag. Personally, I have my gripes as well yet, still, easy GOTY alongside Sekiro.

>lame music
Fuck off journo

Attached: 1552443169601.png (550x537, 454K)

>Still better than DMC5
its not even close. bayo 2 is mediocre

So is DMC5

I'm agree with everything you said except for the music and bosses, but the core gameplay is so good that I couldn't be disappointed. Actually I was disappointed with how dark and forgettable some levels were compared to everything else, but I'm just glad theres no backtracking to the level dmc4 was.

Turns out the golden orbs are usefull to skip game over animations

Yeah, it's faster to resurrect with gold/red orbs then immediately hit restart mission.

You are disappointing.

Yeah, the game is very barebones with the locations, and the story in 3 was so much better. It has its moments, loved the bosses, but overall it was surprisingly underwhelming.

Is it like the force awakens of dmc?