Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x300, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tXDNBBh2QSo
youtube.com/watch?v=SBTAGVnfXAw
youtube.com/watch?v=wC39YadF1AQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YqTfLole4mk&list=PL91EF12D8C64F3645&index=27&t=0s
mdshock.com/2018/07/19/yuji-naka-sonic-interview-february-1995/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I won't. People who say "sonic3+k" is the best game are forgetting it's fucking two games to begin with. Both cost full price on release too.

What happens if you add to sonic & knuckles cartridge a mortal Kombat game? You unlock knuckles??

Yea Forums wasnt around when this came out. Are you feeling alright.

>two separate full-length games
>"dlc"

Attached: 4321312411.png (529x761, 942K)

>full-length games

6 zones isn't "full length"

Attached: wrongs.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

You play the Sonic 3 bonus game with a level set generated from a hash of the first few bytes of the cartrage's ROM.
Seriously, there are millions of level and most every Genesis game can be plugged in to the cart.

>two seperate full length games

Attached: 54353.png (600x250, 413K)

Attached: Fire_Emblem_Fates_special_edition_cover_art.jpg (365x265, 97K)

S&K plus any game that's not 2 or 3 gets you the Blue Sphere minigame.

ok retard

Attached: 352341241.png (342x197, 5K)

Yes it is zoom zoom

Attached: 220px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_1_Genesis_box_art.jpg (220x316, 29K)

Who's defending sonic 1? It was a ripoff too

to be fair, most of the zones in sonic 1 had 3 full acts, unlike sonic 3 which just has 2 each.

The memes from it are fun. Course you can say that about sonicin general, so I guess that doesn’t mean much. youtu.be/tXDNBBh2QSo

Sonic and Knuckles take different routes through the 6 zones in S&K if I'm not mistaken.

youtube.com/watch?v=SBTAGVnfXAw

Attached: sonic mj.jpg (550x322, 88K)

I would GLADLY pay full price for both games today for the greatest video game of all time.

Game was fun so I don't give a fuck

>Not using the S&K version
Yikes!

yes, mostly different. They have a few parts that are pretty much the same, but there are definitely a lot of knux exclusive areas that make use of his ability to glide, climb, and break certain walls.
Personally, I view Knuckles' story as hard mode.
It's also shorter than sonic's, unfortunately, ending witha super metal sonic fight in sky sanctuary.
Though, you CAN use a level select cheat to get him into sonic's sky sanctuary, death egg, and doomsday.

Here you go. I just like the Sonic 3 one.
youtube.com/watch?v=wC39YadF1AQ

It's more of an expansion pack really. One you can play by itself if you want.
Plus letting you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2 is pretty fucking cool.

Attached: 1551308574827.jpg (640x480, 47K)

This was a straight up Expansion that didn't even require the actual game.

Blue Sphere is nice, but I tried putting in every game I owned as a kid to see if there was anything more interesting.

>not the superior PC version either
youtube.com/watch?v=YqTfLole4mk&list=PL91EF12D8C64F3645&index=27&t=0s

I'm kinda joking, but I honestly prefer the compositions for the stages that had jackson music in the genesis version more, regardless of the actual quality of the sound it had to be made with at the time.

I just realized the way i typed that was weird, I'm saying i like the pc version more.

Listening to them again, the PC versions are better than I remember.

especially carnival night, holy shit, what was that actual carny music thing they did in the genesis version?

Attached: 1543015551174.png (526x534, 323K)

0/10

Not if you got it at Jack-in-the-Box,

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x834, 105K)

It was one game forced to be split into too because the genesis cartridges had next to no capacity.

I remember sonic 1 getting you some weird screen with robotnik saying "too bad" or somerhing

Ew.

that's the blue sphere minigame. you input a ceratin button combo to get the game to actually start.

it's not dc it's a physical patch

3andK is extremely good though

maybe 6 months later.

so why not sell them both at reduced? oh wait...

I WANT S3&K ON THE GENESIS MINI RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Attached: 1547638485532.jpg (214x250, 6K)

That's bullshit Sega was contractually obligated to release a Sonic game to coincide with a McDonald's happy meal tie in so they pushed Sonic 3 out the door unfinished

Because material cost of cartridges and storage were much less cheap back then, and Sega knew people would pay full price for both a Sonic sequel and an amazing expansion pack with new features and technology.

no, it's literally just because genesis carts didn't have enough space for what they wanted to do with the game, so they split it into two games.

>Sonic 3 was rushed because of McDonalds
That's not true at all.

Attached: 1554680623718.jpg (409x304, 44K)

Hmm, who should I believe? A random user or Yuji Naka?
mdshock.com/2018/07/19/yuji-naka-sonic-interview-february-1995/

Attached: 1447728141039.jpg (480x360, 14K)

Same applies to you

Attached: 1494535970251.jpg (301x310, 9K)

The acts in Sonic 1 were smaller

Only if it's Nintendo.

Attached: 1539245997167.jpg (1100x800, 87K)

That's bullshit but I believe it. Wouldn't be the last time that a Sonic game got rushed due to contractual obligations because of Sega, either. Then again, you could blame Naka a little for dicking around with 3D Sonic shit on the Genesis that in all likelihood wouldn't work, instead of just sticking with what worked for the final Genesis Sonic game to start with. I'm just glad we got a good game out of the deal in the end despite all that nonsense.

Attached: 1544578597335.gif (500x383, 1.25M)

The idea of 2 seperate games happened long before any McDonald's contract. The lock on part came afterwards, but the seperate development of projects was much earlier on.

Attached: Makingofs3kpg2.jpg (1080x1451, 1.42M)

True, but on the other hand Knuckles ends his story early. He can't even go to Death Egg Zone.

You know, now that I think about it, DEZ isn't that great. It's a cool climax to the story, but as a level it's just a chore to play through. Not arguing against you here, because I was also disappointed not being able to play through DEZ as Knuckles, just saying.

Attached: 1500672618550.jpg (486x400, 82K)

That's all PR speak Roger Hector lied about Michael Jackson's involvement too.
Plus there's no mention of storage space in that article but instead it corroborates what the McDonald's story was saying: It would take too much time develop.

They could have fit in a 4MB cart, but it would sky rocket the price. So it was cheaper (for SEGA, not the customer) to release it twice.

I will not defend them releasing one game as two games

based and midipilled

That's true, it's a bit frustrating. It's also worth pointing out that Knuckles has a few bosses Sonic can't fight so he has that going for him.

There isnt any mention of storage, but the mentioning of "2 games worth of material" could also imply other problems than time. The article with Yuji Naka stated the contract was made "In the spring of the year before last", which means spring 1993 since the article was made in Feburary 1995. Sonic 3's development started a whole year before that. From what I assume, the timeline was probably something like: Decision to make 2 games because of storage/time problems -> McDonalds Contract rushing 3 -> Lock on Technology development -> Sonic 3 release -> Sonic and Knuckles release

Knuckles' story takes place after Sonic's

>Sonic 3's development started a whole year before that
Wat. This would be Sping 92 right? Almost a whole year before Sonic 2 would release in November?

Oh fuck me no wonder he doesn't go to Death Egg. The damn thing exploded. I totally forgot about that.

Attached: pikdog.jpg (500x667, 59K)

>physical DLC aahh the 90s

Attached: de1e141d6a5e57c24e153e29d8aefccb.jpg (649x1232, 65K)

Attached: VdTB9.jpg (640x960, 162K)

He also can't beat Red Eye so, y'know, there's that too

Attached: 1460753559269.jpg (720x576, 46K)

Same, actually. Holy shit.

Attached: 1552940625324.png (299x273, 74K)

Messed up there, your partially right. It was right after 2's release, but started in the same year. Sonic 2 released in November 1992.

So the contract they signed was quite early in development then, yes? Spring 93? A few months? Sounds like alpha phase to me.
I'm sure there were other factors at play here, saving costs and whatnot, I'm not denying that but I don't get why you're fighting me on this so much. This fucking happened.

Attached: 1502743784044.jpg (1024x640, 70K)

I'm not fighting with you, I agree that the contract had rushed Sonic 3 and was the reason for the development of lock on technology, as the article you linked stated. However, the idea for 2 different games was discussed before alpha (not during), and development had already started by the end of 1992. The contract is definitely the reason why Sonic 3 ended up being an even less complete game with bugs, but not the primary reason why it was split in 2.

>physical DLC

Attached: 1555622419507.jpg (1944x2592, 1018K)

>forgetting it's fucking two games to begin with.
whats your point? How does that stop it from being the best classic game?

>this isn't even my final form

That's also why he never actually fights Robotnik and it's those mechas replacing him as pilots (the Flying Battery boss being Robotnik was an error since they forgot to place the Egg Robo sprites over Robotnik due to it being different than other vehicles).

These never show the games booting properly. At least this picture doesn't have the cleaning kit and Power Base Converter plugged in.

The problem is terminology. It can't be the singular best game if it's in fact two.

There's a pic I saw of vr of like 10 or so carts that did boot.

Pic related is far more disgusting and Yea Forums already defends it.

Attached: amiibo.jpg (768x365, 85K)

Well until you can cite a more credible source than Roger Hector I'm gonna have to beg to differ. Sorry, him saying "I think this is what happened" doesn't really convince me considering Naka said this would be the last Sonic game on the Genesis. That doesn't really sound like they had two games planned does it?

Attached: 1553654120799.jpg (168x159, 10K)

Why did you reply to me when I agree with you?

how can anyone think it's the best game when it has marble garden and sandopolis to slog through

It was T E C H N O L O G Y and it was fucking rad at the time.

THIS

People are finally fucking waking up that Sonic 3 and Knuckles is cheating like calling Sonic Mega Collection your favorite.

Marble Garden's dank fuck you

Attached: 1506470642943.jpg (387x356, 45K)

You can combine both into one, you brainlet.

Sonic 1 and CD, you zoomer retard, pretty much every post classic 2D Sonic game as well.

>Knuckles' story as hard mode.
he is easy mode retard
story begins with him, sonic has no intro

You're the brainlet. Two seperate carts, sold six months after each other, for full price. Fun fact no one ever says Sonic 2K either.

>Two seperate carts, sold six months after each other, for full price.
And how does this prove my point wrong exactly?

>Fun fact no one ever says Sonic 2K either.
Yeah, because they call it Knuckles in Sonic 2, you literal retard.

Because you don't need either one to play. Two standalone experiences. And thanks for intentionally missing the point about sonic 2. So now more (You)'s for the special ed student.

>Because you don't need either one to play.
Once again, and?

>Two standalone experiences.
And they can be combined into one, so again, and?

>And thanks for intentionally missing the point about sonic 2.
You have no point, your sad gotcha moment fell flat on its face. Try again, lame brain.

Wow this is some next level autism right here

Unpopular opinion - sonic 1 fucking sucks. And sega should stop adding green hill from it in other games. Most of zones are unfun to play.

Green Hill - Here's your speedy fun zone and then suddenly spikes because fuck you. Ground covered with spikes in next act can kill you during your iframes.

Marble Zone - boring block pushing and waiting, easy to glitch as fuck

Spring Yard Zone - bunch of places to stuck on for minutes until you get out

Labyrinth Zone - slow underwater level full of things ready to murder you

Star Light - the only speedy zone close to green hill and still has some bullshit traps for you

Scrap Brain - proposed whole idea that final level should always be mechanical and boring looking, reason why Sonic Mania has two final-esque zones at the very end. Fitting for the end fight with eggman though.

And don't get me started on how easy and stupid eggman fights in this particular game are.

Attached: Sonic 1.jpg (480x360, 52K)

Most games back then only had 6 you underage.

Attached: 37C48B1F-D99E-4BAF-917B-270776579BDA.jpg (480x360, 22K)

but it is one game: Sonic 3 and Knuckles, they combine together, its kinda like how modern games use GOTY edition to include all the DLC. You can even combine the two in later sonic collections, even the XBL versions.

>Unpopular opinion
not sure about that m8 everyone thinks sonic 2 and 3 were the only good ones from the early 90s

Attached: W3.jpg (450x316, 56K)

Hardware limitations of the time idiot. Would have cost way too much if they put it out as originally intended.

As said I don't think many people actually regard Sonic 1 that highly, people don't seem to even have nostalgia backing it because they generally started with 2. But that sure doesn't stop it from being a steaming pile of shit.

Now as for the real unpopular opinion, Sonic 3 fucking sucks. (This does not include Sonic & Knuckles, which is much better designed in general. Yes, including even Sandopolis.)

>originally intended to be one game
>split into two but purposefully made to be attachable in order to get the full experience of the game as originally intended

It absolutely counts. You may not like it but S3&K deserves to be recognized as both a singular game or a combined one. Nobody is technically in the wrong but I bet it pisses you butthurt babies off that it can count as one game. Get over it and grow up faggot.

It's a Sonic thread what'd you expect?
Now leave this place mortal.

Attached: 1503983962237.jpg (1985x1060, 460K)

Attached: THE TOWER.jpg (283x750, 28K)