Why are fantasy games always stealing from the real world, Yea Forums?

Why are fantasy games always stealing from the real world, Yea Forums?

For example:
TW: Warhammer
>Europe = Empire of Men
>Eastern Europe = Dwarves
>Arabs = Orcs
>American = Dark Elves
>England/Canada = High Elves

WoW
>Europe = Humans
>Africa = Trolls
>Asia = Pandaren
>Americas = Orcs/Tauren

Everybody speaks English. Concepts are all from our world and they just added a few (magical) elements.

Attached: 94f.jpg (434x586, 147K)

If you made something truly alien no one could understand or relate to it.

Most modern fantasy builds and take from fantasy themes that go back decades to when fantasy was just taking the real world and fantasifying it. Warhammer for example goes back to the 80s when that theme of taking our world and making it mythical was big. Have you seen Warhammers world map?

Attached: Warhammer map.jpg (1599x1093, 395K)

okay user. how about you make a game where nothing is inspired by reality at all, where everyone speaks an original language made up by you

Fantasy in general tends to be like this. Lord of the Rings is based around WWII. And the people who get really into D&D do this shit like crazy. I can't explain why but it's just what fantasy nerds do.

You're wrong. Fantasy games are always stealing from Tolkien. There isn't a single fantasy game ever made that hasn't blatantly ripped of Tolkien concepts, and Tolkien created his world based off European folk lore.

Because half the point of fantasy is to change known environments rather than making entirely new ones.

>Lord of the Rings is based around WWII
Based on your own interpretation of it. Tolkien was very adamant about his dislike of allegory and to the death maintained that nothing in lotr is allegorical.

It's funny because it's true. Starcraft 2 expansions are a perfect example of this. The zerg expansion is shit and it's only tolerable because of the scientist bug because he's the only borderline relatable character when everyone is just str8 up alien. The protoss expansion on the other hand is complete shit because it has zero relatable characters and everyone acts like an autistic warrior-monk from outer space, which is exactly what they are.

And of course the base game is about space-americans and it's comfykino, and also every character is relatable (except space Thrall, but he's not human anyway).

>Lord of the Rings is based around WWII
Lord of the wrings started being written before WWII started wtf

>Author lost all of his friends in WWI
>Authors son heavily experiences WWII
>authors writing easily and blatantly show parallels to both events
>But he said allegories sucked!
Just because Tolkien wished people would stop making comparisons doesn't mean we should reject the blatant and obvious influences like retards.

I'm yet to see a non lazy fantasy themed game
Yes, LOTR and derivatives are lazy

SUMMON

>why are human creations based off human experience
Geez, i dunno.

Who are the Skaven?

>author maintains his whole life that nothing in his work is allegory
>random Yea Forums shitposter clearly knows better than him
ok. Not even touching the fact he started writting it decades before WWII

Gypsies.

This
The same reason why Aliens are always human recolors at worst and humanoids with human emotions at best.

Not that guy but the Ring is clear as day an allegory to human greed. I mean, i don't think this is even debatable because of how so much in the face it is.

Fantasy itself originates from misunderstanding of the natural world, deformity in particular shaped most fantastic creatures, dwarves, giants, cyclops, two headed animals, all these things occur in nature but were made fantastic by story tellers. Things like the sun and moon were seen as gods. Since we understand the world so well its hard to concieve of things that are unworldly to us.

Does greed make you invisible?
Is this a reference as to how Jews sometimes can blend in among actual human beings?

That's having a moral or a theme, that's not what allegory means.

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”
- Tolkien

It's recognizable for the player, allowing for something like the opposite of uncanny valley. It provides inspiration. It (might) be a sign of low creativity.

The One Ring is the Jews: great power at the cost of your soul, eventually destroying everything you love
The Elves are clearly Germany, and Man is Britain/America

It makes complete sense.

Where does Mordor/Saron/The Orcs come into it?

Humans are the weaker race to it's corruption, they call it precious, kill each other for it. The fall of the old more noble humans relate to it.
I mean, even if he straight up say this was not his intentional, it just spilled into the story.
The whole industry/progress vs nature as well.
It's just too obvious related to themes of our reality. It is an allegory.

>Author: my work is not allegory
>Yea Forums poster: its obviously allegory
Tolkien unequivocally BTFO

>this was not his intentional, it just spilled into the story
This also answers OP's question, by the way.

>Not that guy but the Ring is clear as day an allegory to human greed.
That's a theme of the books, that doesn't make it an allegory

Skyrim
>Empire = United Nations
>Thalmor = Jewish Elite
>Stormcloaks = White Nationalists

non-Europeans and the NWO.

Attached: the eye.jpg (1864x2024, 1005K)

I'm not being pretentious here. Just stating the obvious to anyone that simply read the book.

Also is Treebeard not an allegory to Nature itself and our relation to it?
"I have not troubled about the Great Wars,' said Treebeard; 'they mostly concern Elves and Men."
"I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side"

Man is America. Britain is the Shire. Smeagol was turned from a happy Briton to a malformed Anglo named Goyim by the Rothchild's gold.

Makes sense.

I'm going to post this quote again for you

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”

>Trolls
>cities made of gold
>masters of their savage world
>african

COLD-BLOODED KILLERS

Attached: doesntafraid.jpg (246x286, 34K)

user even science fiction does this. Look at Star Trek
>Humans - USA
>Vulcans - Japan
>Romulans - China
>Klingons - USSR
Roddenberry outright said that was the point

Attached: spock.gif (245x170, 559K)

Attached: empirefags are literal soibois.jpg (1920x1080, 611K)

but Orcs are literally England and Araby is arabs for starters you dumb fucking nigger

Because of the lack of imagination and how easy it is to instead insert real world stuff and base your fantasy world on that.

I like WH2 but I’m definitely not fond of the setting. It just feels kinda cheap and cheesy overall. Was never into WH in the first place so probably because of that as well.

I'll quote myself then from an earlier post:

"I mean, even if he straight up say this was not his intentional, it just spilled into the story. "

I don't know why you think someone intention negates how the final product turned out to be.

This thread does not have my consent

Because creating an entirely new culture from scratch would take decades
And also people like it when a fictional culture is inspired by their own

Attached: knight set.jpg (1501x1656, 697K)

because you don't seem to understand what allegory means. Like you're simply using the word incorrectly

By definition you can't accidentally do allegory.

LotR is historical book dating back to ~20-15 millennia BC.

about events dating back*

I AM PRINCE AND EMPEROR

Attached: 1554633946198.jpg (356x287, 33K)

Uh, where in history is that compared to the Finno-Korean Hyper War?

THE NATION CALLS

Attached: 1546788099325.png (853x800, 128K)

If Tolkien didn't "pick a side" i would agree with you. But the book clearly avocates for siding with nature over industry. How greed is the greatest evil and the fall of men.
The way it is presented, it simply cannot be a coincidence it fits extremely well with real world events. Which is exactly the definition of allegory.

Finno-Korean Hyper War = Battle of Sudden Flame(Silmarillion).

But seriously, majority of events of LOTR happen on the bottom of what is now North Sea, that's why our traces of these events come mostly from folklore, especially finnish one(Kalevala, which Tolkien translated from Finnish poetry to English prose in 1915).

FPBP.

You always need a reference point, otherwise it becomes unrelatable mush. The sort of "novelty for the sake of novelty" attitude that OP encourages is what leads to nonsense like Pillars' just taking stock fantasy tropes that actually work quite well and shuffling them around arbitrarily. E.g. "There's this race of people with an almost exact analog of North Italian/Southern French renaissance culture... BUT THEY'RE BLACK!"

Thanks bro, that cleared up a thing or two.

Attached: Refree thumbs up.gif (500x390, 1.92M)

>But the book clearly avocates for siding with nature over industry. How greed is the greatest evil and the fall of men.
yes, these are themes
>he way it is presented, it simply cannot be a coincidence it fits extremely well with real world events.
this is your interpretation. Any real world event this is ~APPLICABLE~ to (not allegorical) is you the reader attributing it to something relatable to you.

An allegory is by definition applicable. So it being applicable does not mean it is not an allegory. And again, being a theme does not negate it being allegorical. A theme can't be allegorical now?

There's literally no way to debate this when you can't use the world allegory correctly. There's literally nothing to debate when the author said in plain English "this is not allegory" and maintained it until the day he died. Enjoy your interpretation of it, as every individual reader including myself does, but that's not allegory.

Art follows life, intentionally or mot

Just because you're hugged to the quote and i'm to the books. And it oozes Tolkien views of the real world.
Unless he owned a furnace, burned forests for sport or his family owned a bank that i'm not aware about. It's safe to call it an allegory to our world.

Raedceras is probably the single coolest part of Pillars lore, and the place is a mix of renaissance-era Papal States and Interwars Germany.
The most "out there" part of it is probably the White that Wends and the boreal dwarven hunter-gatherer tribes, and that is boring as hell.