When will this meme stop?

When will this meme stop?

3D Realms, creators of Duke Nukem 3D, Prey, and Max Payne, presents a hard-core first person shooter, powered by the legendary Quake-1 Tech. Crafted by the hands of Quake-scene necromancers, WRATH is the real deal. You will not survive...

Don't purposefully use a 30 year old engine for a game released in 2019.

store.steampowered.com/app/1000410/WRATH_Aeon_of_Ruin/?curator_clanid=1949621

Attached: ss_de2406b551d31d4552dfe5acb57ab675a3fa56e6.jpg (1920x1080, 320K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/1000410/WRATH_Aeon_of_Ruin/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>zoom zoom

Shit bait.

What's wrong with that? Ion Maiden has been amazing so far. I'm loving this old school FPS revival.

Attached: 1519834253379.jpg (1920x1080, 448K)

They look better and play bettwr

I bet it still runs like shit.

Attached: 1549933679676.jpg (1080x914, 169K)

why not?

>tryna shill your curator shit
post the normal link or fuck off my dude

store.steampowered.com/app/1000410/WRATH_Aeon_of_Ruin/

Why not? With a few updates the engine is still perfectly serviceable, and no doubt a lot better and easier to work with than something Janky like Unity, Frostbite or Unreal.

There's a reason people are still modding Quake to this day.

Attached: 1553867893388.png (600x480, 340K)

They still keep making shitty pixel platformers and people still eat that shit up, why would old fps games be different?

Holy shit, looks great.

i really liked when these throwback fps games were a fun niche oddity. now everyone and their grandma's parakeet are making one because the market analysts detected a trend.

the video game industry is king at running trends into the ground at wr pace. just look at "retro" platformers and battle royale. yeah, they're fun, but as soon as a couple turn a profit every studio starts desperately pumping them out for a piece of the pie. the genre has already totally lost its charm.

Attached: 1470278826715.jpg (512x512, 134K)

Leave us alone. It's just a niche, why are you complaining about it?
Literally thousands of games out there and AAA FPS titles are still coming out.
It's our money and we are happily paying for it.

Attached: heavy metal stops.png (540x718, 287K)

>AAA FPS titles are still coming out.
are they though? stuff like cod and battlefield practically have 1 foot in the grave and the annual sequels are grinding to a halt. then you've got stuff like d44m, wolfenstein, and rage 2: pink doom that are trying just as hard to coddle to the same nostalgic demographic

>Don't purposefully use a 30 year old engine for a game released in 2019.
why not?
>posted with nuDoom image

blame the people who are still buying these games but i doubt they will just die like that
the general crowd seems more interested in multiplayer gameplay, so that's why we got those retrofps revivals lately

>stuff like d44m, wolfenstein, and rage 2: pink doom that are trying just as hard to coddle to the same nostalgic demographic
Doom 4 pays lip service at best and wolfenstein doesn't even try to pretend it isn't COD: alternate nazi history warfare
id is dead

it's still the franchise. it exists merely to say
>hey boomer, remember me?

first singleplayer FPS I'm actually excited for since Crysis 2. hope it's less disappointing but I don't see how it could be bad. they've shown uncut long-form gameplay and it seems more than solid.

>Don't purposefully use a 30 year old engine for a game released in 2019.
They're forking Darkplaces actually

Yo are those ribs or titties?

Thanks for the heads up, just put in on my wishlist

I thought this game was called Prodeus

I've heard reviewers raving about it but holy shit did the guns look weak and unsatisfying in that.

>guns look weak
Retard

If you like this sort of game, you should check out;

Dusk
Project Warlock
Amid Evil
Ion Maiden
Scorn
STRAFE
Hermodr
Hellbound

Old school shooters aren't all "glide across the floor at 300 miles per hour humping everything for keycards while enemies throw fireballs"
A more methodical pacing balanced around
>carry all weapons
>dependent on health and armor pickups
>most enemies use hitscan weaponry and have more intelligent AI
>light stealth elements
Is hardly Call of Duty at all. It's pretty emblematic of turn-of-the-century FPSs from early WW2 shooters, James Bond games, up to stuff like FEAR, and indeed includes Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

You guys are acting like we basically went from Doom & Duke's speediness to Halo's ploddiness in a day.

>most enemies use hitscan weaponry

huh

Hitscan is how most guns work in video games. If you fire the pistol in Doom, or a pistol in Call of Duty, it's not like there's an actual projectile being flung out. The game is just deciding if you were actually aiming at something with a hitbox and then registering it as a hit, or if you weren't aiming at anything, then it's a miss. If you fire the plasma gun in Doom, that actually fires a stream of projectiles that you can actually visually track. But the same works in reverse, some enemies throw projectiles, some enemies use hitscan guns deciding if you were visible enough to be shot or not.

In Doom you are fighting demons. Outside of the starter zombies you're usually fighting demons throwing big glowing fireballs or demons that will rush in to attack you at melee range, and you're generally meant to weave around them while retaliating with a shotgun blast or grinding them down with automatic weaponry.
In Wolfenstein you are fighting Nazis with guns. You are not going to be dodging bullets by strafing around them. You are supposed to take cover and the stealth mechanics are there to let you thin out the horde and get a feel for the area and maybe pick up some health and ammo before everybody starts shooting. Outside of those stealth-mandatory missions in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Attached: 1502119808510.jpg (363x500, 53K)

I know what hitscan is, I just don't understand how you could believe having "mostly hitscan enemies"
is a trait of 90's FPS. The opposite is true.

Quake engine is kino

Attached: quakespasm-spike-admod_2019_04_17_00_12_21_303.jpg (1920x1080, 1.54M)

I never said it was a trait of 90s FPS, I said it's part of a school of design that predates 21st century Halo/Call of Duty boilerplate.