Kanto

Kanto

Attached: 1526436846417.png (1107x996, 642K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3bCT3YxZfAY
youtube.com/watch?v=6n7MvvdqpMU
youtube.com/watch?v=h7yDXSq18mY
youtube.com/watch?v=rb_pVbwZgIk
youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8vB9TGI5o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: C243D7D5BCE24965BA23C1F1F654C6D2.gif (722x720, 1.17M)

youtube.com/watch?v=3bCT3YxZfAY
soul

ok

Attached: 1554942596418.png (549x437, 159K)

It's a fucking beep you knuckle dragger

Hot damn retroarch can be fucking sexy sometimes.

youtube.com/watch?v=6n7MvvdqpMU
>ywn go back to the first time you played Red/Blue

>gen 1 doesn't hold up 20 years later
>gens 3-5 probably will

Attached: 1413152017702.jpg (3000x2813, 302K)

Gens 3-7 didn't hold up on release, what makes you think they'll hold up 20 years later?

Gen I became dated the second Gold and Silver rolled around. That game is also quite broken but more due to lack of layout revision than out right glitchy mechanics

Hell, gen 2 holds up ten times better than 1. Red was my first Pokemon but I'll probably never play it again.

is gay

why was the seethru purple so based?

Attached: f.jpg (345x447, 21K)

I've replayed Red about 3 times in the last month. Routes 12-15 can kiss my ass but otherwise great experience even though gen 2 is my favorite

kept the tradition alive for my gba too

Attached: Midnight-Sky_9b3f765d-6f22-493b-8470-eaa687fd704d_1024x1024.jpg (1024x768, 84K)

Is shit

Why 3 times? You writing a video essay or some shit?

Home.

nah, just doing different challenges

>tfw my release date Blue’s battery still works and I still have my OG save with all 151 Pokémon.

Attached: B3254427-AACF-4B95-8364-53991F79D2CC.png (768x576, 525K)

based

which emulator+filter is that?

can I make the game look exactly like this while playing on an emulator?

My first one was Green growing up on base in Japan. Those were the freaking days indeed.

Attached: 63329_back.jpg (640x800, 475K)

I always wanted that one as a kid. I got the teal one. Actually almost everyone I knew had the teal. Is there any data out there showing which color was the most popular because now I'm genuinely curious. Almost everyone at my school had a teal one, I knew one person with the see through purple and my cousin had a lime.

This is the one song that comes into my mind more than anything when I remember back to KANTOOOOOOOO. Fuck the memes, this was some cozy shit

Lol, Gen 1 was already dated when it was released, Gamefreak took forever to deliver a workable release to Nintendo, and it's well known that the game is a glitchy mess. Gamefreak has always been an incompetent team of amateurs that's 4 to 5 years behind the times. Fuck, even Nintendo Power themselves only gave it a 7.2, which, as much as I love the game out of nostalgia, is probably even way too generous given how simple and poorly-programmed the game is.

>Hell, gen 2 holds up ten times better than 1
While I technically agree with you, the shame of Gen 2 is the awful Pokemon distribution where most of the interesting new monsters are hard to get, or can only be found in post-game. And the garbage level scaling makes it feel like you're never making any progress. First time I played, it took until the final gym for Quilava to evolve into Typhlosion.

Attached: ye4lyroy94y01.jpg (500x331, 79K)

I'm currently playing X on N3DS, I must say I had never thought I could enjoy a Pokémon game again, even if Sun was cool. XY have got modern, streamlined gameplay and gimmicks but they still remind me of the old spirit from Game Boy times (I still own a GBC with Red and Yellow). Game shows they were a bit strained to come up with ideas for new boggemons but overall I do appreciate the game. Serena the big cumrag is a nice bonus too

The same aesthetic as those shoes that every kid had at the time with the weird plastic bubble in them

everyone in my area had the see through pruple one so i always assumed that was the hot one but you might be right maybe it was all regional..googling doesnt show any real results unfortunately

>growing up on base in Japan
Tell us your tale, user...

X and Y were pretty fresh entries but as always GF took the wrong lessons from them and thought people liked them for the cutscenes so SM have about 3 hours of fucking unskippable cutscenes

Everyone I knew including me had see through purple

You should probably back it up before the battery dies if you've not already

>While I technically agree with you, the shame of Gen 2 is the awful Pokemon distribution where most of the interesting new monsters are hard to get, or can only be found in post-game. And the garbage level scaling makes it feel like you're never making any progress. First time I played, it took until the final gym for Quilava to evolve into Typhlosion.
You'd think there would be better Crystal hacks. I am playing Crystal 251 and it's nice having stones at the store and being able to evolve without trading, they didn't do a whole lot to fix the level or mon distribution. I wish there was essentials for Gen II so I could just make my own

If X and Y had better trainer battle's it'd be great. I like Kalos for the aesthetic and it has the best pokemon distribution bar none of any region

I'm too overpowered now and I easily destroy and rape trainers, but the onset was a steep climb and I had to grind quite often. The setting is very appealing and what is for me the best feature is that dungeons and rare boggemons frequency are never frustrating

this pic makes me want to kill myself for the simple nature that it's captured the fleeting and ephemeral nature of childhood gaming. must go back, can't go back. fuck this gay earth.

Attached: 1483570289601s.jpg (249x204, 9K)

Clear purple was always the one I saw the most. I had a Dandelion, myself. I got it after my original gray brick was stolen during a trip to NYC. Easily my trustiest handheld console, I carried it everywhere with me. I accidentally broke the screen by falling on it while it was in my pocket while playing Oracle of Ages, but I sent it to Nintendo and they fixed it for like 10 bucks. Still got it, used it to replay Gold Version a couple of years back. I love the way the LCD screen on the GBC looks, especially in direct sunlight. There was one chair in my living room that had perfect light all day long, so I pretty much lived there.

I love this rich shade of yellow. I hope Nintendo eventually makes Switch joycons in this color.

Attached: giphy.gif (1014x950, 951K)

The EXP share is ludicrous. Team Flare such since all they use is fighting and poison types. The elite 4 are really too easy also. And getting a mega Lucario after the third gym is ridiculous

The ever vigilant /vp/ seethe patrol

Fuck bros

I want to go back

Attached: 1555527098626.jpg (720x960, 85K)

My OG GB was yellow, always wanted a regular gray one.

Best 100 bucks I ever dropped on a console

How do you back it up?

This was always my favorite track
youtube.com/watch?v=h7yDXSq18mY

yellow was the best, prove me wrong

Attached: 1539697887936.png (220x220, 105K)

Pokemon Stadium with a transfer pak. As long as you keep it in good condition the save will probably last indefinitely.

EXP Share ought to have been mandatory since GenWun, I can't believe I've played every Pokémon game without that thing. Training 1-2 boggemon at a time is madness, and I dislike they've made Fairy type so paramount throughout the game. Yep, the Lucario thing is ridiculous and I don't use it that much anyway, but you are free to make the game as comfy or hard as you want with your party

Attached: __hikari_pokemon_game_and_etc_drawn_by_ririmon__67a078861d4f97d87f2c39e0b73ee5f8.png (1000x994, 1.41M)

>I love this rich shade of yellow. I hope Nintendo eventually makes Switch joycons in this color.
I was disappointed when they tried to pass off those neon puke-tinted joycons as 'yellow'. At first I thought they were lime green.

You'd need a cart dumper like the Joey Jr

X and Y get too much flack, they are indeed solid games, but it's not hard to argue that Gen 5 had better content, and the 3D models in Gen 6 are hit or miss. I felt the animated sprites were more charming.

Man, colored brick Game Boys were something I almost never saw in the wild. It seemed that most of the people I knew had already gotten plain gray ones by the time the new colors were announced, so that was all I ever saw people with. In fact, I never really saw a lot of Game Boy Pockets at all, either. It seemed most people I knew skipped over that and just upgraded to a GBC in the late '90s.

I kind of like R/B better just because it represents that fleeting moment before Pokemon was a worldwide commercial craze and was just a quirky game about kids battling fantastical monsters that came out of nowhere.

I remember getting one of these when I was 7 years old. It was the only color they had left in stock. I was upset because I thought yellow was a girly color (probably because of power rangers), but I used it anyway and learned to appreciate it. I'll never forget the hours I spent on that thing.

Attached: gbp_sys_yellow_p_trvkgl.jpg (300x300, 9K)

>I kind of like R/B better just because it represents that fleeting moment before Pokemon was a worldwide commercial craze
I didnt have that feeling because my parents were skeptic about buying me a gameboy, I also was late to the whole pokemon craze

Attached: 1533229650172.png (882x758, 17K)

I kinda understand what you mean by the fleeting thing. When Red and Blue came out my friend and I got it for Christmas that year and we were obsessed with it and talked about it nonstop. Then when we came back to school after summer vacation EVERYONE was playing it. Red and Blue definitely remain the most nostalgic to me for that reason.

Oh man you missed out. You should have just borrowed a friends gameboy like I did.

>I never really saw a lot of Game Boy Pockets at all, either
I was so hot for one of those things even though I had the GBC, just because the GBP looked so sleek and sexy with that silver color and small size. But yeah, the only ones I saw were on flea markets.

How did they manage to butcher kanto music in LGPE?

youtube.com/watch?v=rb_pVbwZgIk

I wish you could detour the free mons
>Oh, a free KANTOOOOOOOOmon
>Thanks but I've used these a thousand times, into the box
>Oh, a free Mega Lucario (NO YOU CAN NOT SKIP THIS MEGA TUTORIAL)
>OK but I've used it before to, into the box
>Dear god a free Lapras?
>I've only 3 badges and water mons aren't even rare........ Fine I'll take it just so I box it
Putting Snorlax also before the second gym was a mistake. What are all these base stat 500 plus mons doing in the game so early

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

have sex

Bend over

EXP share makes things way too easy for a game series that's already a cakewalk. Personally, I think the best way to balance the game would be to make it so you can choose your first Pokemon out instead of just using the one at the top of the list. I never understood the logic behind that, especially with the option of getting a free switch after KOing an opponent.

This is how I would rebalance Pokemon trainer battles without changing too much:
>coin flip to determine who throws out first, you or the NPC
>pick any Pokemon, not just the one at the top of your list
>"set" is standard instead of "switch"
I know GF is set in their ways when it comes to a lot of things, but I really wish they would rethink the flow of the battle system. The fact that we're adhering so rigidly to something that a bunch of amateurs pulled out of their ass 25 years ago is a bit annoying.

That's a shame. It was a pretty great time.

They tried to make it all orchestral and dramatic and it's just bland.

That's rape

>>"set" is standard instead of "switch"

not only should this be standard, switch should be removed, rest is just give them AI like the pokemon tower and such battles, and make each trainer type have different difficulties based on the movesets, Ivs and Ev spread of their pokemon, so earlier ones like bug catchers and schoolboys have really low stats, but gym leaders and better trainers have really big stats. But that will never happen

Welcome to the gamer zone, nigger bitch

reminder that the GBA only had three years of life until the DS arrived.

The anime got it right. I fucking love this track. It's not like Nintendo doesn't have the budget, imagine if they gave this much of a shit when composing for the actual games nowadays?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8vB9TGI5o

Miyazaki is a genius but he definitely had a bigger budget than LGPE, which was basically treated like a spinoff.

Attached: what could this be.png (1107x996, 830K)

Attached: 1553833277507.jpg (600x576, 30K)

Still best gen

At least it was

And yet its still one of the best platforms that has ever existed.
How did the GBA do in 3 years what modern consoles can't seem to do in 8-10?
How did it have so many great exclusives?

Even though Red was my first pokemon game, the actual best game is pic related

Attached: Crystal.png (250x249, 131K)

I do not understand this meme.

>generation I started at good
>everything that came out after I stopped playing bad

Attached: 1555589598472.jpg (1024x937, 70K)

You cheeky fucker

Attached: 1474739195956.png (1366x768, 619K)

I mostly hate that the art and designs of pokemon lost their SOUL
People always compare pokemon using the new art as if that didn't get gayer for old pokemon too.
New pokemon just look kinda retarded most of the time, I don't really like whoever it is they have designing shit now, but his art style is kinda gay

Attached: pokemon 3.jpg (3492x2288, 1.59M)

>Traditional scanned art
>Rough around the edges, expressive, you can see the artist's personal touch
Soul
>Digital art
>Flat colors, generic art, feels samey and cookie-cutterish
Soulless

Literally every time

go dilate

>Nidoqueen can't have teeth anymore
>Nidoking can't have spikes anymore
>Dugtrio can't have angry eyebrows anymore
What the fuck does gamefreak have against cool pokemon, what happened to them understanding that they need to appeal to both boys and girls?

Whoever designed soulful pokemon is now doing ultrabeasts

Attached: pokemon 2.jpg (3492x2288, 1.43M)

There was an image of newer pokemon designed with watercolor art like this does anyone have it?

needs more Game Boy Pocket

Attached: pokemon.png (1996x2015, 3.49M)

more like Kancer

Gottem

play the remakes ya retard gen 4 has best gameplay anyway

jesus christ

Attached: 1555685145304.jpg (512x512, 134K)

Gen V babs in tears as usual

Attached: 1555590597120m.jpg (1024x1005, 71K)

my gb history

Attached: gameboy.png (1719x509, 1011K)

>I kind of like R/B better just because it represents that fleeting moment before Pokemon was a worldwide commercial craze and was just a quirky game about kids battling fantastical monsters that came out of nowhere.
Wish I knew that, basically myself and every kid saw the anime before we all got the games

The fact that those old, watercolor Pokemon images got dropped like a rock when 3rd gen came along is an absolute tragedy. But it does inject them with extra nostalgia, because they were EVERYWHERE before that. That Nidoking is godly. The contrast between that original Nidoking art and how he looks in-game nowadays is the perfect metaphor for just how badly they squandered the potential of the entire franchise.

Attached: Nidoking.png (256x256, 56K)

I don't want to understand it.

I was at a loss for a while there

did you know that they got a pokemon now that's just a set of keys?

>basically myself and every kid saw the anime before we all got the games
Well, the anime actually did premiere a few weeks before the games were released in the US. I knew about it beforehand because of a teaser tape that Nintendo Power sent out that basically paved the way. I definitely saw the anime before the game, too, but I feel like the Pokemon craze didn't totally hit until after Christmas of that year. The first few months it was still kind quiet. I remember mentioning Pokemon to a lot of friends that had no idea what it was, but after about 6 months, there wasn't anyone who DIDN'T know what it was. Pokemon Yellow didn't come out until a year after, when widespread popularity of the anime left people wanting a game that was more similar.

Its not the concept I care about, its the execution.
That set of keys pokemon could be just as cool as Gen 1 pokemon if done right, its the way they execute these ideas now that is the issue, this is why people like shit like Exeggcute and not Klefkey

I actually kind of like Klefki. The Pokemon is the keyring, not the keys themselves. The idea is that it likes to collect missing keys that it finds. Gamefreak's laziness here is sad, because they could have modeled about 20 different kinds of keys and had each wild Klefki show up with a random assortment so that everyone's was different, but instead they all just look the same, which is pretty dumb.

This. There were plenty of Pokemon in Gen 1 that were "just a _________". The trick is that you need to make it clever or interesting.