Why is Japanese video game music sooooo good?

Why is Japanese video game music sooooo good?

Attached: jap.png (1280x853, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Uz0otnpeqx8
youtube.com/watch?v=dCMXfoXrTHc
youtube.com/watch?v=KNyUfX0daJc
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/"Why is Japanese video game"/
youtube.com/watch?v=e15tpUhTMD8
youtube.com/watch?v=vtEtTv1Fo0E
youtu.be/XheJnmLAwhk
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpDjir8EW9en1lEgQ1DZlgbfBTZnO8xv0
trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=kys
youtube.com/watch?v=TnLAC5AJPuM
youtu.be/c5ZB-qRnl5A
youtu.be/pj1J29RrYm4
youtu.be/IxPRAFQIy_w
youtube.com/watch?v=tyG6YMLEWus
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZqZ3is9tpk
youtube.com/watch?v=FyK-FrmC1QQ
youtube.com/watch?v=0DXTDo1vVQM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

this could have been a good thread, next time don't start with such a weak OP

because japanese composers have soul
youtube.com/watch?v=Uz0otnpeqx8
youtube.com/watch?v=dCMXfoXrTHc
youtube.com/watch?v=KNyUfX0daJc

Attached: mitsuda2017.jpg (376x376, 22K)

I don't know
Most of their pop music is fucking shit but vidya songs are based

I remember seeing your thread before.
How many times are you going make the same thread?
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/"Why is Japanese video game"/

More importantly, why are western composers so fucking shit? I can't name any memorable western game OSTs other than DKC series.

Attached: mobreigen.png (1280x720, 1.66M)

World of Warcraft
Age of Mythology

Can't really think of any others so you're right.

Diablo/Torchlight
Halo
Everything from supergiant

Agreed, all western video game music sound like some generic, forgettable background shit that you'd hear in a Dreamworks cartoon.

Attached: 1555339572276.png (1280x720, 413K)

some indies have top tier OSTs though

Shovel Knight

because it rips of 70's english buttprog

undertale
crypt of the necrodancer

That's not true at all.

GTA Vice City.

unironically the destiny games

Are you dumb

No, I am super smart.

Because each composer does something different and they rarely try to emulate generic movie OST's.
You have for example Grant Kirkhope and some of his peers who really try to make their music catchy just like Koji Kondo for example.
My favorite currently is Ryota Kozuka and whoever helped him work on SMTIV, that OST is fucking wild and each track feels different, great and most importantly sets the tone of the game extremely well. If his OST was missing, I don't think I would've loved IV nearly as much as I do.

Blizzard unironically has always had great soundtracks, even if the company went downhill over the last 12 years.

I could get lost in the soundscapes they create.
youtube.com/watch?v=e15tpUhTMD8
youtube.com/watch?v=vtEtTv1Fo0E

>OST
>Original Soundtrack
>Vice City

In general I just miss music actually having character and not being forgettable stuff you'd hear in a movie. Anarchy Reigns last generation had some tracks that really pumped you up and fit the game perfectly. Hell, I recently reinstalled UT99 and forgot how great the OST was on that game.

Movies used to have good soundtracks too, or at least a memorable main theme. You can still remember Lord of the Rings theme.

high iq

Yeah, my bad on lumping them together. Was thinking more of the generic, forgettable stuff.

Divinity OS
HoMM 3
Spyro
Crash Twinsanity
Undertale and Deltarune

Becuz Konami

I'm a big dumb weeb but damn can bliz do some good shit
youtu.be/XheJnmLAwhk

Anime ops are pretty good as well
Which makes me wonder why the regular pop music is just as bad as American pop.

Daniel Ingram is God tier but he is stuck making songs for children's media where he will never get the recognition he deserves. Open up your eyes deserved an Oscar nomination.

Donkey Kong Country is still the peak of video game OST.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpDjir8EW9en1lEgQ1DZlgbfBTZnO8xv0

everything on the list, half of those are western

It's because japan has passion for what they are creating, while in the west everything to do with the creation of video games is some focus tested, soulless garbage meant to appeal to as broad a market as possible. But you can still find western devs with soul and passion, you just have to look for it in the indie space.

because falcom sound team

kys weeb

>kys
I don't speak twitter, repeat it again

diversity hires

That predates twitter you child. Probably your conception as well.

No, you absolute mongoloid, I know it predates twitter. The modern incarnation of kys stemmed out of the same hellhole that sm.h, tb.h and fa.m crawled out of.
Mods should wordfilter it to commit sudoku or some shit.
trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=kys
Even the Yea Forums archives don't show an explosion of "kys" until 2016; when election children spilled over in droves.

Attached: 3d.jpg (580x435, 36K)

Tons of indie games have amazing soundtracks. In those threads it's always everything japan has to offer versus western AAA games, which everyone knows are garbage in every aspect.

An "explosion" after 2016 still means that it was said here before then. Just because something became more popular outside of here doesn't mean it can't still be said here.

Two reasons: 1) Because many of the earliest game composers were classically trained musicians who actually wanted to make real music for games instead of just having it be thoughtless background noise. This not only had a big enough influence on the industry to completely shape how video game music is created to this day, but many old school composers are still active.

2) Programming early sound chips, especially FM synth, was really fucking hard without the convenience of modern DAWs and trackers. For sure there were western composers who wanted to make real game music just like Japan, but the Japanese work ethic is such that composers who otherwise should have had no aptitude for the level of programming and technical expertise necessary to create their works had no reservations about learning to do so.

In conclusion, Japanese composers learned to work within the constraints of their systems, and their music was colored by those constraints such that "video game music" became its own meta-genre. Western composers, with few exceptions, didn't do this and simply waited until technology progressed enough to allow them to reasonably create music in a more traditional fashion.

why is Japanese everything so good?

being born in the west is suffering

real answer, because they don't seem to have fallen for the temp music meme

Attached: 1545391170327.png (1438x1080, 350K)

For me its because I cant understand the language. The vocals just blend into the rest of the music.

?????

It just is user
youtube.com/watch?v=TnLAC5AJPuM

Because japs are the last people on this god forsaken planet with a drop of soul left in their husks.

They know that great music can, unironically, put a lot of heart and soul into great scenes.

youtu.be/c5ZB-qRnl5A plays when Sigurd finally reunites with his wife, but she's been brainwashed to forget about him
youtu.be/pj1J29RrYm4 plays when Alvis' mages slaughter Sigurd's army and Alvis executed Sigurd
youtu.be/IxPRAFQIy_w plays when the game tells you about Alvis' regime becoming a brutal dictatorship and Sigurd's son leads a liberation army

That's not video game music, that's an arrange.

C&C
Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood
Prince of Persia
The Withcer
Elder Scrolls
Portal
Darksiders 2
Mass Effect

you don't remember anything memorable because you've barely played any

Holy fucking based

At least we have better comedy

Attached: Westcuck.png (856x528, 64K)

Deus Ex: HR
youtube.com/watch?v=tyG6YMLEWus

Because top tier western composers compose for movies and TV not games.

I sure love the same Inception song in every movie, now that's music

But that just means that there is a general lack of talent.

youtube.com/watch?v=9ZqZ3is9tpk

Western composers have composed more soulful soundtracks than island chinks will ever in their whole existence.

>generic cowboy music for western crap movies
Wow what a God

lmao all of these suck ass you fucking retards

and fuck you too i bet you've never even played thunder force

youtube.com/watch?v=FyK-FrmC1QQ
youtube.com/watch?v=0DXTDo1vVQM

Spotted the underagefag.

Not an argument

Where's yours?

I don't watch western shooty shooty shit so I don't have to clarify anything

I don't play shitty chink games so I don't have to clarify anything either.

Not an argument

Not an argument.

I didn't ask for your shit taste, ironic weeb