Is it finally time for the year of the linux desktop?

Is it finally time for the year of the linux desktop?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 2.53.44 AM.png (1358x196, 259K)

linux is good for freedom and control, not games
windows is for games

Windows was for games, but Windows 10 is fucking terrible for gaming, past and present.

better than linux

>56%
oh no no no

56%

is always right

hell no
i am constantly playing the latest and greatest on my ARCH box

>try Senran Kagura: Renewal on newest Ubuntu
>seems to be working fine
>start game
>select save
>comes back to menu
>try again
>it keeps happening

so close yet so far, i'm gonna try more games tomorrow

Attached: th2.gif (498x266, 2.94M)

>le 56% games

>Native: 29%
Nice

Windows is absolute dogshit. The only excuse for using it in 2019 is that you're too retarded to install another OS. If you have an IQ over 70 and still chose to use Windows then you're unironically a cuck

Attached: 1463679056962.jpg (492x493, 50K)

people also use windows for games

Guys...

>cheering for linux native versions
gold+ and platinum games on wine run much better.

>Linux
I wonder if this game will work?

>Windows
Yes it will.

Unless you are on windows 10

>>Windows
>Yes it will.
They intentionally break compatibility with Windows 7 in order to force you to "upgrade" to 10. There are games that work in Linux, but not Windows 7.

>proton, esync, dxvk, faudio, d9vk soon™
what a time to be alive

Attached: 1552405105223.jpg (695x697, 471K)

This (2019) is the year of the Linux desktop. I'm a box truck driving boomer. This year I built a gaming desktop. It runs Linux. Only Linux. No Windows taint has infested it. I game and have fun in my downtime. If a creaky old bastard like me who is so retarded he has to drive a van for a living can install Linux and game no problem, then how can anyone say Linux is too hard? If I, Johnny Average, Captain of Normality and Avatar of the Herd, has a desktop that runs Linux, then how can one posit that the year of the Linux desktop is not upon us? If I can do it you genius kids have no excuse. And the best part... It's free! You can have as many computers as you want and never violate the license terms.

Instead of
>Install Windows
>Play game

>Put CD in tray
>won't run
>spend hours researching why
>find that cd copy protect feature that is part of windows since XP is removed
>That software is insecure, goy.
>here buy some new games from the windows store
>do you like candy crush?
Windows is kill. They broke backward compatibility with CDs, the only possible reason to run windows is gone.

Manjaro with proton and lutris is the ultimate combo.
Prove me wrong.

Google Stadia will run on Linux, right?
I think this native percentage is going to skyrocket after it launches.

Fat chance. Native non-stadia version would mean that people have access to the game files and there is no cancer drm support on linux.
Better keep everything in the cloud™ :^)

>Manjaro
Enjoy your outdated security certificates.

I mean, at least compatibility will be better now. They'll have to use Vulkan, right?

gaming on BSD hasn't improved one bit since the PS4 launch

Name one reason why it's worse for games when all games run better on windows 10

Never had any problems running games on 10 even old games.

>install linux
>first thing I do is open the command line and update the system as I've been told
>fails because something something lock files
>30 minutes of googling and inputting commands later, still doesn't work
>literally can't even download updates on a clean fucking install
But yeah let me go through the hell that will be trying to get games to run through a compatibility later and emulated directx, with garbage drivers that will cut down my performance by 50%. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

never listen to /g/
linux should only be used for servers and anyone who tells you otherwise is a retard

>he didn't sudo

>first thing I do is open the command line and update the system as I've been told
There is literally a retard-proof "software update" button on ubuntu.
>yeah let me go through the hell that will be trying to get games to run through a compatibility later and emulated directx
You click "install" on steam.

Imagine being this much of a brainlet.

Attached: 9c23cbb72378817e29647f2a0503df4a91af800a.gif (245x250, 441K)

I'm really glad that D9VK is developing rapidly. I feared we'd be stuck with wined3d for taxing late dx9 games.

nigga what BE that sheeit

I did use sudo.

Why do retards always overcomplicate Linux for themselves? Ubuntu and its variants are really simple to use and maintain.
My fucking grandmother can use xubuntu.

GNU+Linux is for servers, not for desktops or workstations, and certainly not for ebig gayman machines.

>it's retard-proof*
>*when it works (which is never)
People have been saying ubuntu is retard proof for decades, and it hasn't been true a single time yet.

Attached: 1549451736896.jpg (300x364, 27K)

But that's an /int/ meme.

protondb

If you use a newbie friendly distro like Ubuntu or Mint, you never need to touch the terminal. Don't let /g/ meme you into installing Gentoo or Arch.

Yeah, fuck learning new things, let's just roll in our own shit.

>work 8 hours plus 4 hours of commute a day
>want to relax with some video games when you get home?
>fuck you, spend 3 hours wrestling with the ternimal before you give up and go to sleep

Attached: 1525637345007.png (740x232, 46K)

name some of them

Linux will never be for anything other servers, no matter how hard it tries it will always be saddled with the 'nerd OS for serious nerds such as myself' image that grognards have saddled it with.

It's legitimately baffling to me how anyone can struggle to get Linux to work in 2019.

Meme distros are fine if your actual hobby is tinkering around with them. If you want to actually use your computer to do useful work or play games, you use something that just werks. You didn't build your own car just to go the store, did you?

>install Ubuntu
>big dialog box pops up asking if I want to update
>click the "Yes" button
Wooooooow, so hard. I swear Windows users are like that game journalist trying to play that tutorial of Cuphead