What is the best Megami Tensei game and why is it Strange Journey?

What is the best Megami Tensei game and why is it Strange Journey?

Attached: Strange Journey cast.png (755x410, 431K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AtSJKKAc7JE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's strange journey because that's the only ive played.

Best Neutral rep.

Attached: Gore.jpg (320x320, 8K)

Why did they change the art for the remake?

Id say IV or Soul Hackers, SJ isn't that good

Attached: 1498594676838.jpg (797x601, 205K)

more like most overrated

>tiny amount of mobs per area, making the entire game repetitive
>boring as shit MC in party, never gets anything good and hogs a spot
>despite having a similar lack of story focus as other SMT games, has like double the cutscenes
>music is almost all HOO HA shit
>gets rid of dungeons in favor of EO style map design except it's a lot shittier than EO
>liked the teleport puzzle in Eridanus? No? Here's an even bigger one in Grus
>alignment system in combat locks you out of 50%+ demons
>fusions extremely limited, need sources to get anything exciting going

don't know how anyone can prefer SJ over 3/4

4 is pretty good.

>>gets rid of dungeons in favor of EO style map design
>gets rid of dungeons in favor of dungeons

you know what I mean faggot

The Demonica is in my opinion the coolest armor design in vidya.

Attached: Demonica.jpg (448x880, 90K)

The other crew members got new portraits where they had nothing before, and I guess they didn't want the artstyles to clash

For me its Devil Survivor, the best Megami Tensei series

Attached: DevilSurvivorJPBoxart.jpg (500x450, 276K)

Attached: SMT IV.jpg (1500x1334, 335K)

.That shonenshit artstyle.

for me it's Soul Hackers

Attached: 1511989782125.gif (317x219, 788K)

Trust this man.

Attached: Mastema.jpg (228x352, 18K)

based

Attached: Aleph.png (729x2263, 1.42M)

Attached: Io Nitta.png (1102x1650, 859K)

Doom Marine's Bizarre Adventure

Attached: Hellboy SMT.png (512x448, 6K)

I loved Devil Survivor and played the shit out of both of them but I can't remember anything about them, not even the characters' names

Attached: 1495435772634.jpg (1015x1831, 627K)

It was so good Hollywood stole its plot and made a middling movie about it.

which movie desu?

Never played it but I love smt 1 music
youtu.be/AtSJKKAc7JE

Attached: 1527815318603.gif (300x196, 3.31M)

I want his uberdick in me

Annihilation. To be fair it was also based off a 2014 book that has many plot points that are strangely similar to SJ.

I li-liked Durarara, user...

I cannot believe how bad redux sucked balls. It seemed like when they were making it they wanted to suck as much soul out of the original as possible. The new character portraits are awful, they added a horrible new waifu character, and the new demon designs are an affront to God. I will never forgive Atlus for putting that fucking Demeter design in this game.

The 3DS hurts my giant hands after more than 20 minutes.
So I guess Nocturne.

seriously, who the FUCK thought this was a good idea

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1000x1000, 97K)

>added a horrible new waifu character
So like Devil Survivor 2 and Persona 4 Golden.

It's a neat design, but I don't see how it's suppose to be Zeus

Yeah, waifu pandering is probably the thing I hate most about Atlus. I know how much money it makes them, but it's seriously fucking embarassing. At least keep that shit in Persona where that's half the point of the game.

>Yea Forums tells me Redux is the best version of Strange Journey
>now this user tells me its garbage
great, now I still don't know whether to play the original or Redux version.

>play nocturne
>Get bored after finishing hospital
>play IV
>Get bored after reaching Tokyo
What is it about main line over worlds that turn me off so hard?

The art is bad, and the new story stuff is superfluous. The gameplay itself is mostly the same.

IV Apocalypse has the best gameplay in the series, but I like the story of SMTII the most

Just play Redux but ignore any and all shit that involves Space Yukiko. You'll get pretty much the same experience minus the better art from OG.

Tokyo is a confusing mess in 4. It's terrible. There's no shame in burning out there.

Best overall
>Nocturne
Best gameplay
>IV Apocalypse
Best story
>Digital Devil Saga
Those are pretty much my go to MegaTen games. Strange Journey is decent combat-wise, but the dungeons are fucking obnoxious and a chore to get through. Devil Survivor got boring for me because there’s no exploration.

I played Strange Journey Redux recently, and holy shit this game is so fucking tedious. I cannot believe people actually enjoy this crap. If it was just the all out attacks being locked behind alignment, that'd be one thing, but no, fucking half the maps are teleport "puzzles" meaning trial and error bullshit, and then they add in even more shit like that with floors you fall through. It's not even a fucking puzzle it's just pick a direction at random and hope you get it right otherwise enjoy your long fucking walk back. Then how about we make a final boss that basically only takes damage from all out attacks but becomes immune to certain alignments meaning ALL OF YOUR FUCKING CHARACTERS, for like 8 turns so you gotta sit and wait for it to fall off then you get a few hits in and repeat for fucking ever.
The game is tedious and annoying to hell and back. Such a fucking chore holy shit.

Don't listen to those utter retards. Redux is objectively better. Lots of QoL, Jim and Zelein aren't shitty characters anymore, way better writing with the new chaos and law endings (literally the third only game in the entire MegaTen series to not be biased towards one route).

Attached: 1547876668024.png (1023x706, 214K)

>immune to certain alignments
Just swap out your demons

The new story stuff is so much better. SJ has such shitty writing.

for me, it's the raidou duology

Attached: Raiho_Offical_Artwork.png (388x656, 251K)

GEE LEMME JUST SWAP OUT TO A FULL SET OF DEMONS OF A DIFFERENT ALIGNMENT WHICH I SURELY TOOK THE TIME TO LEVEL UP FOR THIS BOSS I KNEW AHEAD OF TIME HAD SUCH AN ABILITY
ARE YOU FUCKING DENSE WHO WOULD EVER DO THAT?

New Chaos and Law endings are shit. You know why but I'm not posting why because spoiling SJ is a crime.
One person talking down an apocalypse because they have special snowflake powers is not a good plot point.

DeSu 1 captures the megaten atmosphere the best

He's half marble to show he's Greek, half dark to show he's a big dick, and he has a thunderbolt arm and a 'fuck your genitals, dad' arm.

Kek
Platinum mad
Why wouldn't you keep a balanced reserve?

Because why the fuck bother? My character was aligned to law, why would I bother having a set of neutral or chaos demons when it wasn't needed at any other point in the game?
Also yes I was fucking fuming at the end of that game.

go back to final fantasy fag

>All those posts are dated at 2013
Where did all the time go?

Attached: 1467095730549.jpg (300x348, 103K)

Go with Redux. Art can be hit or miss depending on how attached you are to Kaneko's original designs. Space Yukiko can be an optional boss encounter if you really have a murderboner for her. Gameplay is solid and the dungeon crawling is familiar if you have played any of the Etriams.

The QoL changes go way too far. Saving anywhere completely trivializes the game, and an SMT game with fucking health bars for enemies is just a fucking joke. The new plot stuff, the art, the gameplay, it all strays so far away from what the original game was and what the SMT series stands for. Redux is for absolute casuals and lacks any of the refinement and direction that other entries in the series have.

Or I can continue playing non-shit SMT/EO games

No actually they are objectively better. I know SMTfags are allergic to good writing but SJ ending are some of the shittest ever put into a video game. They were dumb as shit and all negativity bad endings besides Neutral. With Redux, Zelenin and Jim don't go full retard and contradict themselves and now offer a actual balance system of pros and cons for each. The fact that you can attempt to change Zelenin and Jimenez's minds during their route's is hell of a long cooler than the literal contradictory garbage that was the original. Zelenin realizing that perhaps God is not looking out for what best for mankind and her regaining her faith in humanity is one of the strongest moments in Megaten history.

Attached: 1555134779174.png (1280x720, 1.33M)

>The new plot stuff, the art, the gameplay, it all strays so far away from what the original game was and what the SMT series stands for.
Not shit? Yeah no I rememeber SMT being good. SJ wasn't that.

The new endings were okay, but all of them have faults that keep them from being consistent internally compared to their original versions. I have a fondness for Neutral+ because of the implications that it had in relation to the outlook on humanity (and by extension, the developer's thoughts on what SMT-verse humans would be like).

>he missed the app that lets you coop attack with demons of any alignment
lol

>we want the heisei rider audience

Based. SJ is one of the weaker SMT.

I’d argue that the atmosphere and alignment dynamics are some of the best in the series, hands-down, but the dungeon exploration is tedious as fuck. It’s painful to play, and it feels like you’re wasting countless hours just wandering around in each sector, staring more at your fucking map than the environment. It’s a game I could never fathom replaying.

More like Shit Journey.
For me, it's the King of SMT.

Attached: Nocturne-Lucifer'sCall.jpg (2214x4144, 1.92M)

Only IVA and SJ are good

Attached: 2018-05-21 (1).png (857x516, 412K)

You are high as a fucking kite.

>alignment dynamics
They were terrible. The game is so biased to Neutral it's fucking crazy.

>The new story stuff is so much better. SJ has such shitty writing.
Am I in the fucking Schwartzwelt? Redux's additions are stupid as fuck compared to the original.

Almost every SMT has an alignment bias, but I was talking more how the demon coop system was a very cool way to integrate alignment in gameplay.

If the new stuff "strays" far away from the series than damn. This series was never good. II was a fluke

No you are talking to people who actually know what good writing is. Something SJ didn't have