Mount and Blade - How do you survive big battles

hello Yea Forums, I have 200 hours on mount and blade, so I consider myself reasonably experienced (I know that is nothing in the realm of mount and blade players)

I recently got into the last days of the third age which is a lot more focused on the battles (usually I play floris).

My question is this. How do you guys survive the huge battles when there are multiple waves of allies/enemies?
I always feel like I should be helping my friendly lords in the suicide charge at the start. would it be better to keep myself and my party in reserve until the battle spreads out? any tips on tactics ware appreciated as well. also, tips on how to actually positively impact wars in your sides favor, I always end up getting whooped by a massive army .

Attached: ss_1cacf74a86f893b485b276d3ae1ead43a777b17d.1920x1080.jpg (1680x1050, 254K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aVOAQ4EWjK4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Grab your left nutsack and pull it far enough down to insert into your anus
If you can't, you are a dicklet

What do you usually do?

At a dr appointment
Lemme get home and I can school ya young newfriend

What kind of units give your army the most trouble?
Which units do you use in your army?

Stay back and shoot arrows. So many arrows.
Or keep riding your horse through the enemy lines and disengage when they start hitting you.

Usually I get my cavalry to follow me, line up my archers and infantry and do a basic hammer and anvil.
However when you are fighting the larger battles it doesn't really work out because it just ends up being a battle of attrition in the middle of the map. I think you start of the big ones with your whole party (in third age at least) so getting all my decent units killed at the start of every huge battle is a pain in the ass.

it depends who i'm playing as/fighting against.
I like to keep my army as pure as possible, so ill use pure rhodok troops if im a rhodok lord for example.
Playing as rohan right now. Tried to go for a pure cav army but the enemy pikes are absolute horse killers so I've recruited some infantry too.

Stay back and let your army attack.

Buy cavalry
f1 then f3

Damage to allies: 100%
Damage to self: 50%

Your the Leader, when did leaders, Kings, someone important doesn't charge into battle. Let the pawns or cannon fodder charge head first while you on horseback skirt and pick people off.

Tries the Ps4 game the other day on Ps Now and it's too easy, I'm winning battles against armies twice my size, is the console version gimped or what?

I've found that when you have a bunch of lords with you, they tend to charge right up to the enemies (I don't have Floris so I don't know how different they act). Usually this means that you can set up two anvils, one for your men and the other for the braindead AI. I usually either take a jousting pass through the enemies' reinforcements as they're making their way to the first anvil or go behind their spawn and shoot arrows to dilute their ranks as they'd break off to try and attack me, but weakening their presence at the anvil

The ai is so trivial in warband when it comes to field battles. If you actually want to win at any cost then you can cheese any field battle solo no matter how many enemies you have to face. All you need is a horse and a shield, if the enemy has ranged weapons you need to keep riding around the whole mob in a large circle, they have finite ammo and will exhaust it trying and failing to hit you. Enemy cav will follow behind you and occasionally pull away to charge you with a couched lance, just avoid them and keep riding until all of the archers have run out of ammo. Next step is to dismount the enemy cav. When they pull along side you, slash at their horses, not the rider. Once the rider falls off their horse you can safely ignore them until all riders are dismounted, at that point all infantry will attempt to follow you as you circle them, leaving a large blob of idiots unable to properly attack you, be wary of spears as you circle around and finish off the infantry, rinse and repeat. I win all of my battles this way, solo challenging lords without an army of my own. You can seriously mess up the aim of the AI if you slightly zig zag your horse before they fire as it appears to interfere with their aim for some reason.

specialize in horse archery. you can kill off dozen of opponents without really endangering yourself (unless you ride into a tree)

but dude that's some pussy shit.
your not the leader unless your the first one over the wall.

Based

>not fighting in the front lines to increase the morale of your army
Faaaaaggggg

That shit never happened in real life user. That's movie shit.

Alexander the great was always at the front, although he was more of an exception than a rule.
He was a badass.

In last days of the third age, the rohirrim run to within a stones throw of the enemy and then just stop waiting for the infantry to catch up.
It's painful to watch as they get killed by the enemy archers at point blank range.

The missile cavalry ai is insane though, they actually flank the enemy and put arrows into their backs.

dont die

Alexander the Great, Hannibal Barca, and Richard I are all famous examples of military leaders who frequently led from the front. While many famous leaders like Julius Caesar and Ghenghis Khan would typically lead from the rear, both had situations that they ultimately took to the field to secure victory.

>Alexander the great was always at the front
Having the best armor available helps.
> they could see Alexander himself, an unmistakable figure in magnificent armour… (Arrian Bk 1)
>‘That it was Alexander who stood there was plain to all: his almost legendary courage no less than his shining armour proclaimed him.’ (Arrian Bk 6)
>‘[Alexander] put on his helmet. He was already wearing the rest of his armour…’ (Plutarch 32)
His legs and arms were injured a lot tho.

well and warband is a video game, and?

100 huscarls

What does him having good armor matter? He still led from the front.

Pyrrhus was famous for charging AHEAD of his army and everyone having to haul ass to get to him before he was killed.
Dumb nigga would literally grab a ladder and charge the wall without sounding an attack.

For the hammer and anvil, most mixtures work. Cavalry and huge ass armies can be rough. I only play vanilla so I get cross bow shitters, stick them on a hill or the middle of a map, then with my mix of heavy and light cav I keep to ranged and harass for a bit and charge in all the while making sure crossbows are never overcome. Maybe one or two companions with crossbows, but most with me doing horse archery/sabre.

His chest and head were protected from fatal injuries. Otherwise he would have been struck down easily in the front. But even with that protection he would have been killed if he wasn't as skilled as he was.

His fancy armor made him a major target though, at the granicus didn't he almost die like 6 times?

Again, what does that matter? He led from the front. It was not an uncommon method of leadership particularly among the Greeks.

Having fancy armor is a danger in that kind of situation. Hannibal pulled the same shit as Alexander, joining battle directly among his Celtic guard, but he did so in plain soldiers clothes, though with a certain insignia recognizable by his soldiers but no the Romans.

New Bannerlord gameplay video
Looks like they improved how much player can control
youtube.com/watch?v=aVOAQ4EWjK4

You could try being a massive faggot and using a bow or you could get gud and learn how to survive suicide charges

>who is Henry V

I'm just saying it helps to have your vital organs and head completely protected. In the mount and blade games when you have the best armor you can survive longer on the front too.

Kind of ironic, considering he got killed by a 80 opd gilf

Yes, okay, but how is that relevant to the discussion of whether or not leaders ever led from the front.

Just make full heavy cavalry army, invest all your points into support abilities, and make sure you have enough points of tactician in your party somewhere so you don't get outnumbered too hard, then let cavalry destroy enemy in open field battles while you sit back and watch.

Hammer and anvil user, have your troops charge from a different position and you'll win 95% of battles.

Mount & Blade had this ai quirk where the enemy specifically zergs the player if you're on the front. You can use this to your advantage by blocking like a madman while your own troops massacare the sperg swarm. Alternately, you can become so good at horse archery, that you can down small armies on your lonesome without lowering the difficulty.

The horse archer route is fucking based. No greater thrill than riding past a lancer and blasting him in the back of the head.

I never said some leaders didn't lead from the front.

Yeah but you're replying to a post along a reply chain that was responding to someone who did say that

is it as based as riding in a pack of Swadian knights though, smashing through your enemies lines like its the siege of Vienna?

it certainly is not.

>left nutsack

Just finished playing pendor, what should i play next?

TLD

f1 f3

Attached: 20171228122403_1.jpg (1280x1024, 313K)

is Pendor good? I've never really considered it, I'm not a big fan of that kind of fantasy.
Also when do you consider a game of mount and blade "finished"?

laigle, warsword conquest, gekokujo

It doesnt really have that much fantasy stuff in it, the only fantasy stuff are elves and random doomstacks that spawn

>Also when do you consider a game of mount and blade "finished"?
When i get bored

>gekokujo

Which one am i supposed to get, theres like 30 different versions of that

I dont fucking know, I play the one which has the highest rating on moddb

Gekonewer from pastebin on /vg/