This game was fun as shit and I'll never understand why it didn't take off

This game was fun as shit and I'll never understand why it didn't take off.

Attached: 1494328365_quake_champions[1].jpg (1280x720, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uD3NVVfZUDs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It didn't take off because it did none of two things.
It didn't stick to its roots and it didn't fully pander to the new hip zoomer crowd. You can't win with half-measures.

Same here, I didn't mind the abilities since they gave opponents maybe 5 cheap kills over a game to 75.

Too boomercore for zoomers.
Too zoomercore for boomers.

it scared the oldfags with "we overwatch too lmao" shit
and it still was difficult enough for casual crowd

Its still quake which is a problem for zoomers because they really hate difficult games
Also shit performance

Was it ever even officially released? I heard it was a beta, and then it just stayed a beta for forever.

I'm new to Quake, abilities can be annoying, but they are not the worst. The gameplay itself is super fun, and it's so fucking intense, even in duel when you're trying to figure out where the enemy is, what weapons he has, remember item timers etc. No other fps gets me so focused and pumped.
The only problem are the lobbies and queueing, I wish we could get old school servers back.

Attached: imbecile.png (390x332, 214K)

people who play fps can't see what's going on without bright colors with the way their eyesights gotten now

It was too different from original Quake for veteran players; and too difficult for newer players.

Also seems like Arena Shooters just aren’t the thing anymore.

How the fuck is Quake difficult?
t. based boomer

Stuck on pc, that's one reason

arena dudes don't play games

You have a game which can be played on every fucking pc now, in quake 3 arena and live. Then you have this game which performs like trash. Your main demographic is regions which don't have money for the greatest of pc's.

Then there was several issues with netcode. Lootboxes on top of buy to play. Selling a game with hero abilities to a straight old school arena game crowd. And selling a game with no I win button to casuals. Had to go through a terrible bethesda launcher as well. No lobbies and the MM took too long.

Then when they finally realized they might want to put it out for free on steam it was too late, people didn't care and the reception wasn't great either.

youtu.be/uD3NVVfZUDs
hmm

>No one mentioned the worst part,the lack of maps, the slow releases of new maps and no custom map edition/maker

Seriously, part of the reason why quake multiplayer lasted as long as it did was because people kept making new maps.

90% of the things you mentioned is fixed now

Yes I know. But as I write, it's too late. Launches matter a fuckton. How many game actually turn around a bad launch and become a success? Very few.

they never pulled their fingers out and gave us that last 10% that would make the game decent. performance sucks, netcode sucks, game modes suck, maps suck, loading times suck, input sucks, and more.

even if they had come up with a nice game, quakers would have hated it to death anyway. quakers are never happy: cpm is dead, warsow is dead, quake live is dead, reflex died rapidly, diabotical will be dead on arrival.

Doomguy, Ranger, Anarki and Scalebearer are the only fun characters. Others are too powerful for their own good (Sorlag), too different from the Quake formula (That guy with the turret) or have good ideas executed poorly (Strogg)

playing against people who had 20+ years of arena experience is difficult
getting fucked over and over is not fun, and I can see why people do not play such games.

Tßh I hadn't played Quake in maybe 10 years and felt right back at home. Sure, every once in a while a guy can carry a team but you're not exactly playing against peak fatal1ty in these games.

It's still around and still the most played game of the genre, people who expect a bigger crowd for this kind of games are delusional, this is a much as arena shooters can "take off" nowadays.

Not a single person I knew that was into the competitive Quake scene still plays.
They still play games, just not arena FPS. It becomes work after a while.

Pretty much this, they are all playing trash like Apex and even Fortnite then bitching why no one makes true arena shooters anymore.

>UT4 actually was shaping up to be a true boomercore game without class or hero bullshit
>dies in development because Fortshit took off

Attached: 1485757467548.jpg (807x659, 37K)

This game has been really low budget and effort.

Still miles ahead of your average Bethesda game but not too great for id overseeing it.

They'll probably put it on maintenance mode soon but I don't think it's going to die as that would make Quakecons a bit awkward.

Though knowing Bethesda they'd rebrand it to BethesdaCon or some shit

Attached: timeToQ.png (917x991, 1.11M)

UT4 never had a chance. It was only released as a literal tech demo and promo for the launcher.

For such a fast paced, skill-based game it sucks that ultimates can just take away most your health. Feels cheap. Also the load times are fucking terrible. Starting the game and loading in between matches takes like a minute

arenafags didn't like ut4 either

correct

the ''you make the game how you want it'' was a mistake. They should've atleast made a bunch of maps and gamemodes before launching in alpha. When it launched it had one map and it didnt even have skinned weapons.

I forgot that was ever a thing.

you need to remember the layout of 20+ maps and where every item and weapon is located on them and then learn to move in the maps properly
even if you learn that, the game still requires really precise aiming since you have hitscan weapons like LG that is pure tracking and RG that requires fast flicks
getting into the main mode duel (not talking about QC btw since duel implementation is trash in that like the entire game itself) is very hard for new players and they will get easily destroyed by better players 30-0 in the beginning which can be quite discouraging

I'm insulted they released a Quake game with active/passive abilities and heroes with varying degrees of speed/hp/armor.

Arena shooters is all about an equal playing field with only strategy and hand&eye coordination separating the boys from the men on the battlefield.

>MOBA
>shitreg
>charged money for it on Steam where most people saw it despite hyping it as free to play
>no Clan Arena
>matchmaking even though Quake Live did much better once they removed it

What is a moba in your head?

Hero aspect of the game

>classes = moba
tfc must be a moba then

Are you really going to claim Team fortress is an arena shooter though? Team fortress is a class based team-centric shooter. Quake isn't.

>MOBA
>using a term that means fucking nothing that was made up only to be able to """describe""" LoL without mentioning Dota in any way

so classes are moba if introduced to an arena game but otherwise not

what

I'm not evenI was just pointing out why he made the MOBA argument.

Your favorite character is shit no matter how much you practice and you are constantly buttfucked because you don't follow the meta vomit

it is though?

This and its extremely punishing, due to map control relatively small skill gaps often manifest themselves as one player dominating the other since it snowballs hard further discouraging noobs from playing since theres no instant gratification to speak of unlike team games where even if youre garbage you can get some people when theyre off guard and assist others. It really is a harsh game in every way compared to most of the shit in todays market

It ran like ass, was full of low iq russians and was just an edgier overwatch clone with the bullshit abilities.
Good riddance

>This game was fun as shit and I'll never understand why it didn't take off.
if you actually spend 5 minutes in Quake Champions it becomes obvious why it didnt take off
>shitty lootboxes with constant rebalancing of currency because they dont make enough money
>no custom lobbies
>no lobbies at all
>cant stay playing with the same players after a match
>shitty unoptimised russian engine instead of based idTech
>not enough content
>due to lack of said lobbies you'll barely play matches without the overwatch powers unless its with friends
good gamepay can only get you so far

>Also shit performance
Fucking this. I tried it in open beta and while in-game performance was tolerable, loading time was fucking disaster. I loved the game but it's literally unplayable for me.

Attached: 1518709040125.png (524x601, 267K)

Runs like shit on mist PCs
"Hero" abilities are worthless
Free to play with unlocks
Lootboxes
Playerbase is either boomers who zoom around on mach 3 instagibbing everything or people who have no idea what's going on with noone in between
Because of the reason above, gatekeeping community in the dying genre
No mods and community/private servers

technically it's still not out of development. it's an excellent game. lots of fun.

>It didn't stick to its roots and it didn't fully pander to the new hip zoomer crowd. You can't win with half-measures.
Even if it did go all the way in one direction it still would have been in the same place as before

You have to do that in every shooter. If anything, the guns in arena shooters are simpler since they are more or less archetypes everyone is familiar with and have zero recoil.
All in all, I think games like Quake are more for "purists" and that tends to drive a lot of people away from them. Kind of like chess, they have an aura of "difficulty" when on the contrary, every brainlet can have a go and be successful against other brainlets.

The real reason Quake champions didn't take off:
>game ran like shit on nvidia cards and caused crashes all the time
>netcode
>matchmaking
Seriously, you can't expect a quake game to hit off without custom servers and community building tools. The matchmaking in the game was about as ass as the netcode. Now, QC is still better than any fps that came out in the last 8 years, but thats because the fps genre is just shit. So even the shittiest quake game is better than the trash EA is pushing.

You're correct but the pure gameplay doesn't appeal to casuals/brainlets for whatever reason.

This, to turn a bad launch around you need more than to fix your fucking game, you need to tell everyone you did it, like FFXIV.

for me it was the shitty spawn system

So much this.
I got Quake Live for free and now I have to get this 30 FPS low res blurry shit on my toaster by paying??? With a bloatware launcher as well???

Be honest, how many of you are PClets (lower than GTX 1080)?

>muh 20+ years playing boomers ruining the game!!
You're a legitimate unskilled monkey if you think this. First you're never, EVER gonna get matched with those guys and it barely takes a month or two to properly learn the movements and 6 months to get up to speed and become a very decently skilled dueler.
Only reason you're not playing is that bloated fucking launcher, atrocious downtimes between games and 0 sense of community because the game doesn't allow one to be built organically. Yeah ultis and champ stats are all over the place and the game modes are mediocre at best but you're literally coping if you think this menial shit is what stops people from enjoying the game.

What chars are you referring to? Almost every character gets picked in high level play because there isn't much difference between them anymore and the ones that are truly different (Anarki/Sorlag/Slash/Clutch) are all really good right now.

>the game ins't unoptimized, your computer just isn't good enough

Attached: 1490928496038.jpg (813x727, 229K)

It ran smooth as silky butter for me, PClet. Maybe save up for a Switch?

>6 months to get up to Speed
have sex

i still play and i find games in less than a minute. it's a little too late but plenty of shit anons have said in this thread are fixed, and things like "classic" duel are coming soon. saber is not working on the game anymore and seems like ID is doing the job much faster.

still no hunter tho.

It ran like garbage on most PCs. If you weren't getting 300+fps, you were at a disadvantage due to the way physics worked.

I legit don't get why I didn't love this game either, I guess it was just so forgettable that I quickly stopped playing. I didn't mind the abilities or the lootbox shit, I could see past that shit.

But even then it just didn't have the smooth mechanics that gave Quake 3 Arena its staying power. The speed, the rocking power, the satisfying sniper kills, it just doesn't have any of that.

It's a slow bulletsponge game where you need to land several good shots to win, and in a lot of cases some new player would still shoots me because the game just doesn't have a very steep learning curv.

It's like a snack more than something you can play religiously to get better and better, if I want a good arena shooter, Live and 3 have a perfectly fine playerbase even today to fall back to, Champions never managed to get these people to leave these games and switch to Champions.

Honestly when it really comes down to it I'd say that if Champions had catered to the core fans more and far less to modern standards, people would've swarmed to this game.
It's not that difficult to do, hell they could've even used the same engine and mechanics and just made it look nicer, give it more levels, and listen to some core players and their complaints. Counter Strike did this and it's currently one of the most played online game on Steam.

Attached: 1517786982807.jpg (750x750, 84K)

reddit

spacing

wow

fuck off

nerd

>moba skills on a fps
because only retards like you growed up playing lol

3 reasons really.
Not enough proper marketing. There's not much being done to get new players in. And to keep the playerbase engaged they add more cosmetics and act like that's a great update.
Bad matchmaking. You can't even practice the maps and movement offline. No server browers. You can't even switch teams. It's terrible, people leave constantly. Bots suck cock it ruins the whole game.
Bad netcode. Everyone is experiencing the fucking stuttering, even rapha gets annoyed at it. Game just doesn't run smooth enough, really sad to see a fucking Quake game so poorly optimized

t. esr larper.

>Unlock system sucked ass, super ungenerous for a free to play in a market saturated with more generous ones
>Bots everywhere
>No option to turn off the classes so you just had to deal with people spawning with different abilties inclduing speed in a fucking arena shooter where the idea is to get to the nice shit before others do and kill them with your superior weapons and armor
Played a bit, went back to Doom 2 CTF.

I was the guy who always played Anarki and zoomed around the map stealing your armor and megas. He is so fucking broken.

Who is this game for?

the 1000 people that likes to play it.

Poor people oh wait its harder to run than most free games and the free shit sucks
Old fans oh wait its class based now and that totally ruins the gameplay because its about resource management and speed is too big an advantage
People with no other shooters to play oh wait there are too fucking many of them right now

Its like no one asked this question when they were making it. They alienated everyone

I put a few hundreds hours into it.

Issue is that if you want an arena game to have any chance to take off in this day and age then you really need to do everything absolutely perfectly.
There are like 10 things that they did that were far from perfect.

Attached: 1476380449519.png (657x1123, 38K)

>oh wait there are too fucking many of them right now

Attached: 1520610246329.jpg (900x900, 152K)

>this thread

Attached: quake.png (509x410, 38K)

i doubt theres a single soul on this earth that can even begin to relate to this image

Attached: 1553825062500.gif (720x403, 2.49M)

replace fortnite with apex legends