What am I in for?

What am I in for?

Attached: celeste[1].jpg (1200x680, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6eeIEMOQw4s
youtube.com/watch?v=MSJxFfHkD4Q
youtu.be/iKnwVvXkWq0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

an above average platformer

best girl

Attached: 1533009117410.gif (220x220, 149K)

all indie games are exactly the same empty experience
one gimmick and one bad art style, writ large
its possible to enjoy them if you are young and never touched an 8 or 16 bit console

Attached: images (1).png (231x219, 8K)

A good platforming game with some good music.

Somewhat of a challenge.

A pretty good difficulty curve and some great music

youtube.com/watch?v=6eeIEMOQw4s

Celeste, you retard

a discount super meat boy

Ever played Hollow Knight?
Not a gimmick and a beautiful art style.
If you say all indies are the same you have a shit taste of games.

alternatively, super meat boy if super meat boy presented itself like a game rather than a checklist of single-screen chores

>inb4 you didn't play it
it didn't make me want to

I want to see a gif that does the 4th wall break fuckery.

hollow knight was only good to the extent that it perfectly mimicked megaman X and super metroid
I played it completely and it simply didn't measure up to the professionally made games it was inspired by
so I'm 100% correct even in that admittedly good example

I'm yet to play this, but I've been hearing some weird things about this game.

Is the whole thing really an allegory for abortion or something? Does the story go anywhere weird?

>Is the whole thing really an allegory for abortion or something?
This is a shit meme. The game has nothing to do with abortion. The story is Madeline is a girl who is sick of giving up halfway through anything she starts, so she decides to climb a mountain to prove to herself she can do it. That's it.

No
Madeline wants to climb a mountain to prove to herself she's tough and not a quitter
The mountain's power makes her confront a mirror of herself who chases her around and taunts everyone
She meets a hipster who's climbing the mountain and taking instagram pics
Madeline has an anxiety attack which makes her evil counterpart stronger
She chases down her evil counterpart
They make up and realize they can climb the mountain if they work together
They unite and make it to the top
The end.

Does she fall in love with the nigger from Seattle?

the story is about mental illness

I aborted my playthrough about halfway up the mountain

Super meat boy with a reskin and lots of diversity.

No. They don't even know each other at first, and become friends because they're both climbing the mountain for similar reasons. That's all.

Oh, okay. Guess there's no weird leftist stuff after all.

Was madeline always a character in Towerfall or was she put in after?

because that would affect the quality of the game right?

Attached: 78467876.png (480x420, 7K)

Look man, there are plenty of fucking incredible indie games, even with the same "Retro" art style. I'm not looking to change your opinion but have you played Terraria, Binding of Issac, Factorio and last of all Minecraft? These are indie games like no other.

yes, everyone knows black people in a video game means the leftists are trying to take over videogames

a deliberate introduction of morally and physically destructive behavior like racemixing is an abomination, because it teaches little children that it's acceptable to do something which is opposed to their own well being, and opposed to the commandments of God
yes its a very serious problem, especially if you make the disgusting decision to not oppose it, and just let children continue to be harmed

Madeline and Badeline were added as a DLC bonus for the Switch version of the game.

Who was this bitch anyway?
Generic evil twin big bad (but ACHCKUALLY not bad, just misunderstood)?

when did christcucks become the next fedoratippers?

To be fair, I finished Timespinner recently and really enjoyed it for being such a faithful DS Castlevania clone, however the game was filled to the brim with identity politics, transgender, homo stuff etc. Even a whole polyamory scene as a "reward" for doing all the quests. That kinda detracted from the experience. Wish indie devs wouldn't try to push leftists politics so much.

She's Madeline's rational side, not her evil side. Personified by the mountain's magic in an ancient temple.

when libtards started hating on christianity for whatever reason

Binding of Isaac-a remake of zelda 1 dungeons---just zelda 1 dungeons, no other content

Factorio-this is not a game, its just a big simulation of interacting parts, its the type of "game" that is made for mentally ill people that can't socialize or something

Minecraft-its legitimately a good idea to give people a creative outlet, but since I've already made levels for various games the hard way, by using a (often) difficult level editor, spending hours aligning brushes and textures and checking framerates, minecraft is a huge, huge step down, its for dumb people

Terraria-minecraft with one less dimension

You're not going to change my mind, indie stuff is crap or it wouldn't be called indie, it would be called professionally made

It's more a story of confronting the darkness within yourself and coming to terms with it instead of trying to run away from it.

The game looks like a decent SMB clone, but every time I think to try it I see that awful art and put it back in the backlog. Can I just delete the portraits or are they inaccessible?

>Go to fast food
>Order a burger
>Waiter call me a misogynistic bigot for no reason
>"Why are you complaining? That didn't affect how your burger tasted at all! What Are you a /Pol/tard?"

The portraits only come up in cutscenes. If you don't care about the story and only want platforming then skip the cutscenes.

It's one mans opinion, I'll be over here enjoying games that I like. If you don't like them I don't really mind. Would you be open to share what you think are good games?

lmao

>food analogy
what are you trying to say? that videogames are a burger, and anything that isn't racist and right wing is being called a misogynistic bigot by the cashier? have you ever thought that maybe you are a /pol/tard?

Attached: 1533816950042.jpg (1996x1121, 109K)

Why is that everytime Yea Forums faces a metaphor it shits its pants?
FUCKING THINK BY YOURSELF

why doesn't this fag dev release his game on gog?

Attached: 1554350855325m.jpg (724x1024, 71K)

Pretty good platforming and music with pretentious plot that manages to be atmospheric from time to time.

>that's just, like, your opinion man
why even bother responding

The protags depression manifested into a clone

Attached: 1555485693496.gif (220x233, 273K)

A bog standard indie platformer that got jerked off by "journalists" most likely because they're friends with the devs

>Would you be open to share what you think are good games?
based retard

Decent platforming
Tumblr tier cringy, garbage dialogue/characters/story.
Bad music with some mediocre exceptions
Bad visuals with some mediocre exceptions

Ori and the blind forest is one of the best 2d platformers ever made

>bad music
Ok this is too contrarian
This board has been ruined by ironic shitposting

>Terraria-minecraft with one less dimension

Attached: 1551137578973.jpg (400x408, 57K)

Honestly wasn't autistic enough in its difficulty. C-sides were cool and all but I want some real bullshit to tide me over.

>turn on assist mode
>breeze through everything because you're literally unstoppable
>finish game in an hour
>refund
>watch anything you missed on youtube
>oh btw strawberries are entirely pointless ;)
What's the point

I'm 100% serious. I was actively bothered by how bad the music was at some parts. Of course not every single track is "bad", but overall I'd call it bad.

The only good part about Ori was the bash.

Okay platformer.
Awful metroidvania.

He obviously can't come up with a good response.

There's one more chapter coming at some point, which from what I understand requires you to have beaten the Core's C-side to access, and should be harder. Otherwise try to get all the golden strawberries, the B-side ones can be total hell.

There is that new dlc coming just for that

It's a great platformer and it's what it aims to be.
It's not intended to be an actual metroidvania so if that's what you wanted and expected, that's on you.
Ori and the Will of the Wisps looks like it aims to be more of a metroidvania so maybe you'll find what you want in that.

isn't assist mode against what the game is about?

So that you won't pirate it.

Attached: yeetjpg.jpg (600x600, 18K)

>buy the game
>cheat
>beat it in an hour
>wtf this was too easy lol
>why do all the collectables not have a purpose??? i need it to do something to enjoy an extra challenge to cheat through
based autist

Retard can't hold him self back from cheating.

Which is a complete shame. If they just completely focused on ori being a platformer the sequel would be great.

But instead they fell for the meme and got inspired by HK so now they're adding combat. Now they're even spouting clickbait lines like "perfecting the metroidvania genre" and "best combat system of all time" and now I'm just disillusioned.

its her shadow. the true self.

Not really
They spell it out that you should not use it unless you literally cannot make progress without it
And it is modular enough that the game can be hard even with assist mode

What does the assist mode do?

I like the way it sounds. Hollow Knight is a good game but it suffers from the genres flaws. I hope Studio Moon achieves "perfecting the metroidvania genre", I have faith in their ability, they hired that A2MR dev and everything.

good game with pretentious story and a black character with white facial features

I didnt' respond on the 'what are good games' questions, that was someone else
obviously like anyone else, I'm going to list the games that were important to me when I was 8-16
but the games that matter are the ones that changed the world, that created or established a genre
ultima series, especially 4-7, led to dragon quest and most of what we call a JRPG
street fighter 2, fighters still exist because of this game
doom, still influential, still being returned to
mario1 and its refinements, the first truly amazing platformer, but not even close to the first
homm series which led to warcraft 3 which led to dota
master of magic, which has still not been surpassed
diablo2, the gold standard in skinner boxes

and others
these games did something new, instead of being horrible rehashes of 20 year old games that were already perfected before you were born

>the genres flaws
like what?

Attached: celeste3.jpg (1200x675, 82K)

You get to toggle these things
Game speed can be changed in 10% intervals
So you can just make the game bit slower if that is all you need to continue

Attached: celesteassidt-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 71K)

way to kill the entire point of the game. why would you even play the game at that point?

why doesn't anyone talk about quake 2? I think its way better than the old doom games

Wow, this is literally a full on cheat mode. What the fuck is even the point? Good thing I never bothered with it.

Does it disable the achievements at least? I'd imagine the scores would be crazy skewed otherwise.

Reusing shit 20 times over, for example.

backtracking

It's meant for the people who are not good at platforming games and just want to see the game through to the end, or experience the story firsthand. It's not the way the game is meant to be played, and Matt says try to play the game first without it, the way it WAS meant to be played.

Not him, but hiding whole areas behind breakable walls was kinda bullshit. I can't imagine anyone finding the Hive or any of the DLC areas on their own without following the news articles with the tips on how to unlock them.

what are you talking about? textures, enemies or what?

It is a singleplayer game
Like, you compete with yourself

if I had to guess it was the extreme mobility imparted by the rocket launcher
the devs made the decision to halve self-inflicted damage from rockets, intended to make the weapon more effective or less annoying, but people immediately began exploiting that strength to blast themselves around the level like spacemen
the skill ceiling rose far beyond what ordinary people enjoyed, you simply had no chance against people who practiced the popular maps all day, and with no chance to win, the interest in the entire genre slowly faded away
my proof of this theory is how mindlessly simple the military shooter is by comparison, with close to zero mobility for anyone, and how popular it became as a result

i know autism makes it hard to understand other peoples' viewpoints, but there are people who enjoy games and are not good at them and that would allow them to help them on something giving them a lot of trouble or help make the game more possible to complete in general

Honestly, good picks man.
You know, I do agree that most indies are actually pretty bad, but doesn't mean that literally all of them are bad in my opinion there are some diamonds in the rough and just like you my favorite games of all time as professionally made still doesn't detract from the fact there are great indie games if you know where to look.

it has a shite story, why would anyone play through for it. the only reason to play it is the platforming

backtracking is the entire point of the genre you fuckhead

yeah, that sucks. I dropped axiom verge because of that, but HK didn't seem to be that bad in this regard

levels

what the fuck are you on about? he accepted your opinion and then asked which games you liked

I have no faith at all. If they actually think the first game is a fine metroidvania then that already means their visions is completely fucking skewed.

I'll still look forward to it but with Silksong coming out as well """perfecting""" the genre is pretty much full PR talk.

I don't believe it disables achievements, but it does give a big fat ol' assist mode stamp on your save file for all to see.

Because the people who would play for the story, and who Assist Mode is aimed at, are generally not the people who browse this board. You are not Assist Mode's demographic.

Fair enough, I guess tumblr would like it.

This guy cant handle going back in a game.

Mate the only real bullshit secrets in the game are the ones in the White Palace and the White Defender. Everything else is reasonable easy to find with some of thr more obscure ones just lore or easter eggs.

Secrets being secrets sounds like a good idea. Not everyone is supposed to see everything, otherwise the secret part would feel meaningless. Breakable walls are kinda shite though.

That being said, I didn't play Celeste, I just kinda barged into this conversation.

as long as there is indication, I think its fine, I found the hive with the first soul spell and the PoP by slashing randomly. Even then, then aren't that many walls, that you need to check

White Palace isn't even that hard to find. Everything has markers to indicate that they have a purpose.

I thought Ori sucked pretty hard. The graphics were pretty but it was really hard to see the spikes and enemies against those overly detailed backgrounds. Not to mention that the bash mechanic was really awkward to use with the analogue stick. And the enemies were more of an annoyance than a fun distraction. You see one, and you either start stomping the ground or frantically mashing the fire button to just get over with it.

I kinda lost interest/patience by the fire temple (the last area) and just youtube'd the rest. Was really glad too, because that fucking area seemed insane.

The story and music were Disney tier fairytale bullshit and pretty cringe IMO. Hollow Knight is a much better game. As is Celeste.

Achievement are not obstainable in assist mode right?
there's an achievement for finishing the game with the true difficulty right?

white palace was trivial with hiveblood (obviously)
but I gave up on the radiance because I just got bored
like I gave up quickly, I'm sure I could have beaten it if I just cared, but for some reason I didn't
I think its because I knew the story was just some made up crap, and not worth the effort to even see the ending

I was talking about the Path of Pain.

why would it matter? achievements don't mean anything and it's a completely single player game as well

Celeste is not in any way a metroidvania so it's irrelevant

Every story is just some made up crap. The fuck are you even talking about.

Same. I 100%'d the map, but was really bored with the game by the time I unlocked the Radiance. Fighting the HK again and again just to lose to the Radiance felt annoying and I fired up Cheat Engine to freeze my health. The only fucking time I ever cheated in a Metroidvania. But oh well, at least now I have a complete save file to massage my OCD.

it well rewarding to unlock some achievement like those who require to beat a game at the hardest difficulty.

HK WAS pretty "bad" in terms of backtracking but it's what the genre is all about so idk if you can call it "bad" or a "flaw" per se.

>everyone is jerking off to Celeste when the End is Nigh is better in every single way

Explain.

Pretentious story worth skipping for a decent platformer. If you enjoy gimmick platformers its pretty good. I personally prefer perfection of movement, precision based platformers.

Yeah, sorry, i didn't know you were talking about Hollow Knight in that moment.

There is an achievement for doing so, and when you get it you also unlock Variants Mode, which is a reverse Assist Mode and applies modifiers at your choice to make the game even harder.

Steam achievements are important an important statistic for seeing how well the game is doing with the general populace. And they also make you feel good when you get a rare one (e.g. only 1.5% people unlocked this etc).

>Steam achievements are important an important statistic for seeing how well the game is doing with the general populace
no it isn't, it's a good way to tell how many people buy games and never play them

Shittier SMB

>I personally prefer perfection of movement, precision based platformers.
Then you'll like Celeste because that's literally all it is. Wall cling/climb, dash, and jump. That's your entire powerset, from beginning to end. The entire game is precision, and challenges you do master it.

Attached: 7-c perfect.webm (1280x720, 2.67M)

>Fighting the HK again and again just to lose to the Radiance felt annoying
oh yeah, that was absolutely stupid.
>100%
you know that you can get like 112%, right?

but this achievement is not achievable with the assist mode right?

I played celeste. Didnt like it. Didnt like the gimmick, nor the challenges. It stopped being "hey get here" and became "dont get caught and also solve this puzzle and find this hidden secret"

Why do you call it a "gimmick" platformer? Honestly curious. I found it pretty straight-forward.

I dunno. I didn't use assist mode, nor did I need it.

Tranny: filtered

based. If I remember correctly, most games have like 40% of a playerbase that never tried

>you know that you can get like 112%, right?
Yeah I know, I meant the map, not the extra challenges. I think I got like 105% or 106% on the save file. I'm missing the Trial of the Fool, Path of Pain, NKG and the whole Godmaster DLC.

I mean the story was made up crap in the sense that the writer obviously didn't have a specific backstory in mind
I knew the white king was also the worm, and that he made the hollow knights to suppress the radiance, which is the also somehow the natural state of bugs to be mindless and mortal, and he also fathered the needle chick as a bargain to help imprison the radiance
but then everything else is just vague nonsense or allusions to the history of the kingdom
too much of a dark souls ripoff, with no real explanation of how or why all this got started
most importantly, the player character has no reason to do anything, nothing is motivating him, which is a big mistake, narratively

Having some psycho's deranged political opinions shoved in my face when I play a game takes me out of the immersion and bogs down the whole experience

Attached: cringecompilation.jpg (300x168, 9K)

Is this the most retarded food analogy ever? No, the waiter being a prick has nothing to do with the quality of the burger. They probably didn't even touch the burger - the chef did.
also
>fast food
>waiter

Attached: 1547429415153.png (1000x1000, 173K)

Well obviously. They designed the actual game first and then made up the story along he way as they developed the machanics and the levels.

>the player character has no reason to do anything, nothing is motivating him, which is a big mistake, narratively
Literally nothing wrong with this. /ourbug/ doesn't need a reason to be a killing machine.

Oh that explains it

lmao, everyone is giving shit to the food analogy, while ignoring this pearl of retardation

are these supposed to like convince me of something?

You load the game up, you click on 1-1, it starts a level, you get to the end, it shows you a leaderboard and an instant replay, you go back to the menu, you click 1-2, you clear the level, it shows you an instant replay and a leaderboard and throws you back into the menu

that's absolutely fucking boring as shit

mario stages are long and made up of a bunch of challenges strung together, you get to the end, it takes you to the next world
sonic stages are long and made up of a bunch of challenges strung together with some action segments, you get to the end and it loads up the next stage
rayman had a couple of areas back to back and then brought you to a map screen

the way super meat boy is set up is the opposite of fun, I don't care how good the levels themselves are, a high five and an instant replay after each individual screen turns a game into a list of chores

SMB basically played like an average mobile game before mobile games were a thing. It's eery.

The levels get longer mate.

you're a massive faggot

No no. That's SMB:F

maybe because it was a fucking simple flash game first you dunce

How is this any different from Celeste?

Yeah this sums up how I feel

Maybe, maybe I'm a massive "I like games with levels that connect to each other" faggot, who knows, who cares. No precision platformer has held my interest before celeste because they were always bundles of self-contained challenges. N+ is the same way

I don't think you like video games.

Celeste levels are 10m+ each on a first playthrough rather than hitting you with an instant replay and kicking you to the main menu every two seconds

It has to do with the quality of the service
Why would you shop where you are treated like shit?

I love video games. Super Meatboy's a good game presented as a mobile phone to-do list

Look at this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=MSJxFfHkD4Q

Menu>cutscene>menu>1:24 - Level start > 1:34 - Level Complete > Instant Replay > 1:40 - Level Start > 1:43 - Level Complete > Instant Replay > 1:50 - Level Start > 1:52 - Level Complete > Instant Replay

That's some stupid bullshit. 2 seconds of gameplay, instant replay, 3 seconds, instant replay, one second, instant replay

It's the worst presentation I've ever seen. If those stages were one long level it'd be infinitely better

So it's just presentation then? Because the high points of SMB's levels are far better than any of the C-sides.

Yeah basically.

your analogy revolves around the basis of a game not being racist or bigoted is the same thing as being treated like shit at a restaurant, you are retarded

are you telling me you get bullied by your videogames, the fuck?

Ori was shit, clunky controls shitty level design

>best mechanics
ch1 rail blocks that let you maintain momentum, fire blocks in ch8 that do the same, long ground jump
>worst mechanics
super wind, feather
>best OST
WEEEEH OH

prove me wrong

>best mechanics
rail/fire blocks, chapter 3 dream blocks
>worst mechanic
wind, the blobs in the spirit hotel, those are the least interesting kind of challenge and they're everywhere
>best ost
Scattered and Lost, Ben Prunty's cover of Old Site

Attached: Capture.png (1036x882, 1.81M)

SMB doesn't kick you to the menu tho, you can go straight into the next level.

yeah I misremembered that, but still

you can skip the replay too

>best mechanics
fire and ice in the core
>worst mechanics
wind
>best ost
youtu.be/iKnwVvXkWq0

I can't imagine a more objectively wrong opinion

>Madeline wants to climb a mountain to prove to herself she's tough and not a quitter
>But here's an elevator to the summit, no shame in using it wink wink

it was eye candy for low iq plebs and you know it

you'd have to be a low iq pleb to find Ori's controls clunky