PROTOTYPE

Alright, so I decided to try to replay 2 to remember why I hated it. And boy oh boy, that hate had some pretty strong footings...
>movement up buildings slow as shit, how do you expect me to bodyslam off skyscrapers like this?
>Overall movement is clunkier, and not as nice as the first game
>Aesthetically, everything now has a sheen to it, almost comical, the Bio-Armor skins show exactly why they weren't a part of the game, cause they look like shit
>Narratively, all the other factions are now mustache-twirlingly cartoonishly villainish, the Blackwatch can't even be considered patriots anymore, scientists are no longer "I wasn't paid to ask questions" and do the bad shit with glee
>No mention of Redlight, or how the actual world endingly, concrete infectly batshit insane infection started
>Heller is just angry and black, literally no other character to him, despite him being an actual person compared to "Alex" in the first game who felt more like a person while being less of one

But credit where credit is due
>enemy variety and powers means better gameplay and combat
>powers are no longer just tier to EP, you need to explore and do specific tasks to gain specific perks for the good evolution stuff, encouraging exploration (despite making the navigation part of exploration bad as shit)
>Powers being able to be dual yielded in a sense allows for more varied playstyles, even though most would just play with tendrils

Overall, how did they capture lightning in a bottle with the first game, but by the time the second game came out, the "Gearbox Studios" signboard was enough to tell you that it was garbage.

Also, will the IP ever be claimed by another company? I heard THQ has been gathering up dead IPs, think they'll buy it and make something off it? Maybe even remake the first game with the themes intact but more fleshed out in terms of characters and better combat?

Attached: Alex_M.png (684x720, 264K)

The game was pretty good, mainly for its attention to detail, like soldiers reacting differently if you're using an officer disguise or you being able to grab walls and start climbing them like spider man.
>Also, will the IP ever be claimed by another company?
I doubt it, there's no demand, well maybe there is but its not vocal enough like Dragons Dogma 2 for example.
>Maybe even remake the first game with the themes intact but more fleshed out in terms of characters and better combat?
I would pay good money for this, so of course it won't happen.

>better combat
Pretty sure that 2 gutted all the fun stuff and all you are left with is a weak attack and a strong attack for each weapon.

>bumping into soldier in the base while in officer disguise has them stepping aside and saluting you
God how could I forget. Prototype feels both like a product of it's time with the edgy marketing and presentation, but also a product beyond it's time with how much it did right.

>There's no demand
>I'd pay good money for this
I feel like there is a demand, it's just people aren't vocal by either despair that the series is gone so let's just mourn at the grave or people fear another Prototype 2 will happen and get fucked due to diversity quotas and the execution of the themes get fucked just like the second one.

Attached: lo_kurva.jpg (187x126, 4K)

The better combat is more of a product of better enemy variety and more actually viable moves that don't leave you helpless for an extended period of time (Thanks Groundspike)
But yeah, no more hammertoss does really suck when you get down to how good it felt doing it, actually hitting it not important lol

2 feels so floaty compared to the first game. I really liked the new tendril arms.

The annoying thing about the plot is they could easily fix it.

just say that the evil "Alex" in the second game was a mass of him that got split off at some point and developed its own sentience due to being apart from the "main" body for so long and went psycho due to its incomplete nature while still thinking it was him.

Then have the "Real" one show up in the third game and explain all this shit and be trying to put things back in order and fix any problems his clone caused.

It was weird playing Hulk Ultimate Destruction then playing Prototype
I have the pre-order figure still in the box

What hooked me in proto 1 was Alex, how he was never really trying to be a hero, he had no qualms about murdering civilians for health, or in his search for the truth. Then in the end you find out that he wasn't alex mercer, just the virus that became sentient hosted inside alex' body that shone a pretty big light in the character, and all that to be destroyed in proto 2 angry negro fiesta, with "muh ebil cartoon villain" tier motivation. Maybe they could bring alex back from inside heller or something, that is, if a sequel ever come out. [PROTOTYPE] is the closest we got to a superhero game that actually made you feel like a walking apocalypse besides infamous.

Building on that, have evil Alex actually be still alive and eat Heller from the inside out, killing him instantly.

Funny I thought that Virus mercer was actually more compassionate then real mercer. Sure he was a rage filled mass murdering literal monster but his anger was directed at those who opposed him not random assholes. Real Alex on the other hand was an actual sociopath that didn't care about anyone not even his sister and he was the one that set the virus loose. Considering where virus mercer is from he is an actual step up in personality. Also the comic book humanized him further.

That was the point; Virus mercer was a monster and was still a better person than a "human".

>Also, will the IP ever be claimed by another company?
If some do, all I ask is that they pretend 2 and the comic never happened.
>They will never be some crazy fuckers out there who will merely pretend to be making a Prototype 3 still with Heller but right as the tutorial end he's getting eaten from the inside by Alex and you play as him for the rest of the game

Aight Yea Forums, redpill me on Prototype. I played through the entire thing when I was like 12 and thought it was extremely boring from beginning to end. Why is this game so beloved? Is it just the edge factor?

Attached: 1553095842558.jpg (422x422, 48K)

>when I was like 12
>Prototype was released in 2009
Man, time sure as shit fly.

Attached: 1554085334504.gif (540x304, 2.79M)

Why did you have to remind me.

Attached: 1552301187606.gif (200x200, 2.9M)

The Web of Intrigue was pretty cool way to build lore. I agree with what you say about 2's flaws but holy fuck I will forever be mad at what they did to Blackwatch's designs on top of their zealotry getting pushed to stupid. Not to mention Pariah was forgotten when he was the biggest hook of the first game.

Attached: Web of Intrigue.png (1920x965, 689K)

I think 2 implies Heller has some idea about Pariah, but he doesn't want to go after that kid. Probably for the best, since the Web did say that if Mercer and Pariah were to meet, there'd be hell on earth, and Heller just snacked on Mercer.

You should've played as Pariah in 2 and escaped whatever facility you were born in. Also if the narrative MUST involve attacking Mercer Pariah would have a decent pre-established reason. So much backstory squandered. Also considering Alex came back from a puddle after tanking a nuke actually killing him seems like a stretch.

Prototype really was everything my edgelord teenage self ever wanted. Too bad it looked like shit and got repetetive as fuck. But snap-kicking people into the sky or body-surfing them off a highrise was an absolute blast.
Didn't even play the second one. The main character put me off mostly and it didn't seem to improve much over the first one.

unpopular opinion i like heller alot more than mercer

i sort of treat it in the same vain as asura and yasha from asura's wrath

Attached: 45239080234.jpg (2560x1600, 857K)

You had a lot of freedom in gameplay and if you weren't retarded, you could abuse a lot of the mechanics to do over the top things.

Even the first was shitty. Too many rocket launchers ruining the fun, movement gets boring after awhile. Janky ass gameplay mechanics.

It's a poor man's Hulk Ult Destruction.

>but he doesn't want to go after that kid
In my ideal P3 game, Mercer would bodysnatch Heller from within, ditch his retarded world domination plot, and go after Pariah for some reason.
>young kid prototype protag
Would be dope. He could've been a fun way to explore the middleground between agile Mercer and bruiser Heller. I for one took great joy in stealthing my way through compounds.

>no hammertoss
>no cannon ball
>no shockwave
>no critical pain
>no groundspike graveyard
>falcon dive is dlc only
Fucking WHY? Tendrils and vehicle finishers were fun though. Mutations are a good idea. I liked the pack. One thing it captured well from 1 was going street level with a machine gun and playing survival-horror with some zombies.

They're both trash spiderman games

I think Pariah was born in the 60s.

Man i just want prototype 3 with alex back

Pariah is said to be a bit despondent, but maybe the events of 3 would kickstart because Pariah "felt" Mercer's destruction? Maybe throw in his mother again, since Mercer ate him.

Pariah is stuck as a kid for some reason.

>falcon dive is dlc only
Ahahaha are those cunts for real?

Specifically pre-order dlc.

Back when the first trailer/teaser for Death Stranding was a thing, and it showed stuff like tanks covered in tentacles and umbilical-link soldier squads, I thought about how nice it would be if the game ended up being a prototype-like kind of game, with you going into "infected" zones, but with really, really crazy enemy designs and biological horror.
I remember enjoying Prototype, but I really wanted it to focus more on you being The Thing.

Was thinking of making a thread on this game. I remember trying it but wasn't impressed. Maybe give it a second chance?

when hes yelling at his mexican priest friend about computers he was solidified as the best angry black man in video games

Think a node mentioned he didn't age, but there's always a prequel.
>Pariah just wants his mom and is willing to butcher his way through humanity and virus monsters to do it
Neat.
These are the same people who made Mercer available as a skin for Heller, but locked it behind boring as fuck challenges.

Attached: 1541405516467.jpg (400x570, 77K)

I don't get it either.
Thought it was really average, and pretty mediocre at the best of times. Felt like everything was half assed and not really fully developed so the whole game just felt like a mishmash of all these gameplay elements that weren't fleshed out all the way. Like all I remember is that the main character was like an even edgier Hayden Christensen. It's like they channeled Episode 3 Anakin.
Nothing in particular stuck out. Except the annoying ranged enemies.

Every time I see threads like this it's like a bunch of 12 year olds gushing over some edgy game with no real merit. I don't know if I missed something when I was playing it or not. I'm glad that they tried new things and played around with the idea of "wouldn't this be cool?" though. Not a lot of devs do that anymore and games are too safe and by the books.

Prototype was really just Infamous with a much more edgelord weaker plot.

>literally no character to him
>heller
Well yeah. Considering 90% of his dialogue is unironically and without any sort of exaggeration some use of "fuck" as an adjective, verb, and noun all at once and making up most of what he says, le angry black man with prideful rage gets old fast.

The game is a power fantasy on steroids. Many people are nostalgic for it because the combination of the power fantasy and the absolute edge of Mercer fulfilled a lot of the angst people had as a teen, though the game still holds up on it's own even without the nostalgia if you accept its flaws and treat it like the angry god sim it is. Also, it's the only game I've ever played where you can grab an innocent old woman by the shirt collar, yank her with you as you run up the side of a skyscraper and then pile drive her right into the concrete, kill like eight other people just from the shockwave and then walk calmly away from the pulverized mass that used to be her body as though nothing happened at all. Prototype doesn't do a lot of things right, but what it does do right, it does VERY right.

Attached: mercer.jpg (640x800, 76K)

>Hayden Christensen
Don't compare /ourguy/ to that nig.

Attached: Hayden-Christensen.jpg (1007x497, 47K)

I was talking about Alex Mercer, not the black dude in 2. The dude is 100% edgy Anakin.

Attached: Mercer.png (1294x2584, 1022K)

That's why we love him.

>Heller is Mace Windu
>Mercer is Anakin

I guess I took it way too seriously back then. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I just have such a bad taste from the game with the RPG dudes. Any time you want to do a pile driver or anything cool you just get sniped out of the sky by some schmuck with an RPG or a tank. That and being stuck on that Time's Square boss (or maybe it was a wave fight or something) for the longest time just because the area was saturated with RPGs and Tanks as a way to make it "difficult". It just seemed really cheap.

They fucked up by having comics explain away Mercer become a misanthrope. They were setting it up for this great arc from the first game of Mercer being an inhuman monster that thought itself a man until it learned the man it thought it was was an amoral bastard, and the inhuman monster coming to be a true blue anti-hero or anti-villain. Not "I'm a brooding good guy" but achieving good goals but without giving a damn about innocents caught in the crossfire.

That or he eats heller and develops more of a conscience again. I liked Mercer as of the Prototype 1 ending - a kind of batman that isn't a pussy shit. A monster that is more than human and who I figure will defend humanity as a whole (not extinct them) but who doesn't care about humanity in the individual. Rather than make him misanthropic the more he consumes man and experiences bad memories, he should become more protective of humanity the more he consumes.

I didn't do Prototype 2 so I can't speak to Heller. I don't mind him as a concept, but I dislike having to play a different character when they got the Mercer arc going. I'd have been fine with Heller if he had been the protagonist from the get go but I hate mid-game/mid-story about switches.

That scene bothered the shit out of me because by absorbing the computer tech guy Heller should’ve understood how to handle the computer.

I like both games and both protagnists, and i was really bummed when i realized there wouldnt be another. I remember the devs talking somewhat about 3 having co op if they had time to tinker with it and i thought that would have been cool. Just a cathartic power fantasy, now with pals.

Blackwatch was fucking butchered plotwise. In the first they were a firm battalion that would burn their own to stop the infection. Would murder millions to save billions and Alex fought them ONLY because they were being manipulated and trying to hunt him down, he even teamed up with Captain Cross at the end. That and Heller is horribly written. Not only that but their design is straight up retarded. Pic related, original.

Attached: Blackwatch 1.png (996x452, 652K)

Now 2.

Attached: Blackwatch 2.jpg (637x358, 37K)

I hated 2. Fuck I hate heller.

Weird how 2009 edgy was so much better than 2011 edgy

>when I found out you could activate the console exclusive pre-order content from 2 on PC since that shit was literally stored with the rest of the game files
I don’t know why they didn’t just activate it themselves. I guess some console tendies could have been tossed by getting it for free but it was still dumb.

>Remember a WOI target that would spawn in the middle of a block war
>Full-on combat zone with armor and heavies duking it out on the street
>target kept dying before I could get to him
>After the fourth attempt I just said screw it and charged in, shield up and bowling over everything in my path
>Get within reach of the target, drop shield and attempt to grab him
>Tank shell out of fucking nowhere blasts me backward and his stupid-ass into the sky
>FUCK YOU
>Recover, leap and grab his limp corpse mid-air and because of engine shenanigans, he's treated as alive and well
>Get to a safe rooftop and proceed to pummel him into jam
/blog

Attached: 1421623135521.png (815x527, 194K)

Best stress relief game since Kirby

>never played this
>read the Wiki synopsis of the plot
lol ok