Persona 5

As someone who likes P3 more, what did Persona 5 do differently that caught on with normalfags? It's like the Fire Emblem Awakening and Monster Hunter Worlds of the Persona series.

Attached: Persona 5.jpg (1920x1080, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zHdOXCoja-c
youtu.be/dilI_gy2KdI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The comic flare was stylish.

it looks better

It looks cooler and edgier, that's about it

I think it's increase in popularity is just a result of the last two games being sleeper hits. No one played 3 and 4 when they first came out (in the west) but over time they went from cult classics to being regular recommendations. Some people are weird though and will only play new games they just bought, I had a roommate that did this. So I imagine it was just the result of a new Persona game coming out after the series had finally gained some recognition in the West.

>Persona 5 do differently that caught on with normalfags?
Be on PlayStation 4, aka the most normie console ever released

Its been years since the last Perdona game (2008). The hype was stacked and was waiting to come out. The stylistic approach they took with it really looks pretty, its also set in a major city like Tokyo. Its the best place to start the series as a newcomer. Its not hard to understand.

better gameplay and more stylish

It's miles better than the other games in almost every regard.

You're not supposed to point this out.

But as far as final boss and antagonists go, nothing ever beat Nyx or P3's endgame. Not even close. The Igor fake out was absolute kino though.

>Knockoff plot
>Drops the persecution angle almost instantly
>Suffers from character bloat even harder than 4
>Akechi
It might be a better game, but it's still a half-baked quasi-RPG/VN doing neither to its full potential

I liked P5 as much as the next guy but P3's characters and ending will always stick with me.

>Edgier than a game who's central theme is death and the main cast gets super powers from shooting themselves in the head

The extra visual polish is a factor, but I'd say not the biggest one.
Persona 3's pacing in general is somewhat weak, with long stretches of time that basically amount to "let's wait for a big Shadow/full moon to come up", especially at the beginning of the game, with no urgency to the plot at all.
Worst offender however is Tartarus. It's way too repetitive and feels like a chore most of the time.

Morgana is fucking sexy, thats what

lmao

Sometimes wish this didn't blow up in popularity
P5 only babies are so fucking disrespectful to past games and have their heads so far up their own asses at times
If your first Persona was 5, eat shit.

It was more stylish and the major fact that it came out in 2016. At this point the weeb japan loving culture has increased by a couple hundred fold since the "glory" days of P3. That part is honestly just the reason why

The kinds of people who like P5 already liked P3, and P3 was already an entry-level JRPG with a lot more appeal than most JRPGs out there. P5 just took a lot of what made P3 and 4 good, made what could very easily be argued to be a better game from it, added on a lot of style that caught people's attention and, what I think is a bigger contributing factor than any of that, is just the time it came out in. There's a lot of people who go on about what huge weebs they are despite only having an interest in entry-level Japanese stuff and so when the highly anticipated sequel to an entry-level JRPG series that already had a lot of fans and discussion surrounding it brought in a sequel it was easy for new fans to latch onto, and it appealed doubly to those kinds of people because of the Japanese high school setting, the dating elements being so overblown by the community and all that. There was an audience for games like this in the past which is why P3 and 4 were already relatively popular as JRPGs go, but there's even more of an audience for it today and it's easier for people to be exposed to games like this too.

Attached: 1513641999749.png (551x835, 407K)

>p5 only babies are so fucking disrespectful to the past games
I wish I could find these people because it just sounds like you made that shit up so it's hard for me to believe such a thing

they'll join your boat when P6 happens

P3's endgame was a boring march to the final boss, and Nyx is entirely overrated if it wasn't for the speech and music.
The actual set up and theme attachment is fucking garbage.
While everyone thinks Strega isn't league worse than Akechi because they forgot they existed outside a plot device for Junpei and Ken.

It all comes down to gaming is much more popular now than it was a decade ago. If Persona 5 wasn't delayed and stayed a PS3 title, it would have no where near the popularity it does now. Also couple that with the advent of twitter and youtube, there was no way this game wouldn't be popular.

P5 released at a good time where weird weeb games was catching on the west.

Gameplay: 5 = 4 > 3 > 2> 1
Story: 3 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4
Characters: 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4
Dungeons: 5 > 3 = 4 > 2 = 1
Music: 5 > 3> 1 = 2 > 4
Final boss: 3 = 2> 5 > 1 > 4
Waifus: 5 = 3 > 2 > 1 > 4
Overall: 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4

Attached: 55390C85-851F-4A0D-AA33-1FE0329B0D44.jpg (1024x737, 99K)

Thats pretty stupid. P4 and P3 was on the same page when they were new, now its P5's turn.

5 was the first Persona game since 1 to get a western release on a current-gen console. The rest (excluding Innocent Sin which didn't get a western release until the PSP release a decade later) didn't get a western release until the next generation of consoles were already out, unless you want to count 4 Golden which came out on a handheld that did worse sales than the fucking Wii U. That by itself was huge. It's no surprise that 1 was the best selling Persona game still until 5 came out.

Every little grouping of MegaTen fans are disrespectful to fans of the other games. P3fags constantly shit on 4 and 5 because they've somehow convinced themselves it's way more niche than those two, P1 and 2fags shit on the later Personas, SMTfags complain about Persona for retarded reasons like you can't kill your friends, SMTfags infight with each other shitting on Nocturne or IV or IV:A, the only ones who aren't embroiled in it are people like DeSufags or Raidoufags and that's just because there's so few of them relative to fans of other games in the series. If anything, most people who have started with P5 that I've seen seem to just want ports or remakes of the older games so they can easily play them, I've seen barely any shitting on them.

The Vita sold more than the Wii U

>edgier than 3
What the fuck are you smoking

It was the latest game released after the other 4 built the stepping stones for it.
Well you can say the last two did in regards to western consciousness, but P1 sold the best in the series

That's literally every game's fanbase in the Megaten franchise.

Dude Nintendo consoles are the most normalfag,

SMTfags complain about Persona because you keep dragging us into your pissing contest as if we care

>Knockoff plot
No.

God-tier presentation. The game is fucking oozing with style. Even the menu animations are dazzling and cool.

>Waifus
Have sex.

It perfected the gamplay to extends that any other comapny doing JRPG's should drop turn based because they ain't surpassing this.

Plot-wise is weak I like it far more than Scooby do.... errm Persona 4 but visuals and everything ese is bar none the best.

Also Sugita, Mamoru Miyano and Jun Fukuyama in a same fucking videogame is overkill.

>As someone who likes P3 more, what did Persona 5 do differently that caught on with normalfags?
Same thing as MH, a bigger marketing campaign.

>Implying SMTfags havent gone a day without complaining about Persona ever since Persona 3.
It even got worse with SMTIV because there was a console war narrative to it, but sure, deny that too.

>genwunners but for Persona are starting to be a thing
I'm so tired.

Attached: 95a.gif (400x226, 1.6M)

Yes.

Think it's just a timing thing, if P3 was the new iteration with a polished modern aesthetic im pretty sure it would of done as well as P5

It feels to me like Persona was slowly gaining in popularity. I hadn't heard of it until Persona 4. My friend recommended it to me. I assume everyone else had friends recommending that to them. Then P5 came out and it got great reviews. People checked it out and had a great time. Just the right timing.

Enough time passed that now P3 and P4 fags are sitting in the same boat as P1 and P2 fags
After another decade or two passes, P5 fags will be joining in as well if the games are still being made

You didn't even try to read my post

This entire post made my brain hurt.

You're delusional if you regularly go into SMT threads and don't think they constantly shit on Persona for no real reason. Persona threads can regularly go with no mention of SMT at all, SMT threads constantly have to have someone who has to jerk themselves over how hardcore they are for playing SMT rather than Persona or making some comment about how they play games where you kill your friends not some fursonashit where you make friends, and it almost always comes out of nowhere and is just someone shitting on Persona for the sake of it.

>Also Sugita, Mamoru Miyano and Jun Fukuyama in a same fucking videogame is overkill.
Kys, web.

>As someone who likes P3 more, what did Persona 5 do differently that caught on with normalfags? It's like the Fire Emblem Awakening and Monster Hunter Worlds of the Persona series.
No, Persona 3 is the Fire Emblem Awakening retard. Persona 3 and 4 were both normie as fuck, the only barrier being the fact they were on PS2 so late in the game.

false. nintendo is for manchildren
can confirm because i am one

Being way better than 3 and 4 is the main reason

This is how I feel about Animal Crossing post-New Leaf

Attached: sablegun.png (460x530, 192K)

I will when you do.

Attached: big think.png (644x644, 936K)

They have. More often than not smtfags keep to themselves with Personafags invading their threads.

2012 was the turning point for the franchise. It was the time Persona 4 Golden, the anime and the fighting game was released. It was followed by the dancing game in 2013 and the announcement of P5 as well. At this point, the buildup was amassing.

It launched while the console was still relevant.

It released on a console that everyone has. Word of mouth also went a long way. I can only imagine that p3 or p4 would have seen similar results had they launched in the same climate.

>SMTfags complain about Persona because you keep dragging us into your pissing contest as if we care
>implying that's the sole reason or even main reason

Attached: phelps doubt.png (420x420, 282K)

The presentation was probably a big part of it. Visually, 3 and 4 are really lacking.

>Story: 3 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4
>Characters: 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4
>Dungeons: 5 > 3 = 4 > 2 = 1
>Music: 5 > 3> 1 = 2 > 4
>Final boss: 3 = 2> 5 > 1 > 4
>Waifus: 5 = 3 > 2 > 1 > 4
>Overall: 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4
>4 at the bottom of anything
Your list is the worst shit on the planet.

>every SMT thread ever
>boy oh boy I fucking hate persona so much guys

animal crossing is too cute and comfy to be having wars between games though.

>You're delusional if you regularly go into SMT threads and don't think they constantly shit on Persona for no real reason.
Are you actually brain damaged, SMT threads has 3 probles that has to deal with: Personafags bragging about sales/relevance, Nocturnefags being nocturnefags and Alicefags.

Is Persona 5 the Radiant Dawn of Persona?

>DeSufags or Raidoufags
Those aren't SMTfags retard, neither of those are SMT games

No it didn't. The only vita sales numbers always qouted are from vgshartz, so noone except snoy knows how much it sold.

Change that to MH and you've got me.
In all honesty though you've got it easier than me and the other user.

>Dungeons: 5 > 3 = 4 > 2 = 1
I agree with everything except this. You can't seriously be arguing Tartarus' tedious, monotonous zones were as "good" as P4's.

>AntiP4 fags

Attached: YN.png (400x400, 244K)

>Alicefags
I don't think I've ever seen alicefags be relevant in the last few years

>Yfw I'm a Devil Survivor Chad
Feels good man.

Attached: 1458020089765.jpg (495x495, 94K)

You're delusional if you think that isn't falseflagging from personfags shitposting
Hell it isn't even falseflagging most of the time, it's just straight up 'LMAO SMT BAD PERSONA GOOD' most of the time
>every SMT thread ever
>PERSONA SELLS BETTER PLEASE GIVE ME ATTENTION
>17 (You)'s

Attached: tatshiggy.jpg (231x254, 18K)

>Music: 5 > 3> 1 = 2 > 4
holy fucking shit what a retard
1>2>3>1(PSP)>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah but those who started with New Leaf have a pretty different perception of the series from those who started with previous games. They often value customization and shit over good dialogue and an interactive world (Both very important in a series like AC) and don't really like the older games because the villagers are "too mean" and Isabelle isn't there.

Speaking of which, said people are the same reason Isabelle became the series mascot within two years of New Leaf's release and is now shilled in EVERYTHING while actually good characters that have been there from the start get shoved aside.

Attached: AD39E929-6005-4E00-8EA1-AAD121BBC705.jpg (750x760, 215K)

It's always SMTfags bitching about Persona, that's why your general is dead faggot

3 when

Neither are Personafags, but that's why I started the post with "Every little grouping of MegaTen fans are disrespectful to fans of the other games" and not "Every little grouping of SMT fans are disrespectful to fans of the other games."

Heaven in Persona 4 was some seriously atmospheric shit. That's the only good thing I'll say about the game.

ACNL players don't really talk about the other games in any capacity though.

>Devil Survivor Chad
kek, DeSu only gets a break because DeSu3 NEVER I love the games tho

All of those games you mentioned had actual advertising and came out in an age where social media is a powerful influence

>It perfected the gamplay to extends that any other comapny doing JRPG's should drop turn based because they ain't surpassing this.
the very same company blows the fuck out of persona's combat

Attached: e51d78c70ca7e1ce004fe8a5e73659e5.jpg (800x800, 117K)

Pretty much this. Nostalgiafags won't admit though.

This, but unironically.

>SMTfags infight with each other shitting on Nocturne or IV or IV:A, the only ones who aren't embroiled in it are people like DeSufags or Raidoufags and that's just because there's so few of them relative to fans of other games in the series
The way that was worded made me think you were connecting DeSufags and raidoufags, my bad

Not that user but when the company and overall gaming community overlooks the mainline series then people will complain

Ah, I understand your frustration then. I love New Leaf with a burning passion, but I end up always coming back to the gamecube one. I like the little viking guys and girls.

the general which is 50% personafags shitposting?

Pretty much any company that makes turn based rpgs blows the fuck out of Persona's combat.

What made you think I was being ironic.
The music was literally the only redeeming factors of Persona 3 and 4 for me and 5 somehow managed to be shit on that front as well.

just video games in general getting more popular. p4 hit a huge burst of popularity too.

>i-it doesn’t count!
Are you really gonna defend the Wii U?

Same, I still wear the horned cap in newer games

Attached: horns.png (318x320, 137K)

They were the same as P4 though. P3 is better though since it builds up to the kinoest boss in all the franchise while P4 are random dungeons that do not.

>Hell it isn't even falseflagging most of the time, it's just straight up 'LMAO SMT BAD PERSONA GOOD' most of the time
Yeah, those are the falseflagging posts, because they're the ones shitting on SMT, not Persona. I'm not talking about Personafags who come in out of nowhere and shit on SMT though, because those are obviously falseflags, I'm talking about the SMTfags that are very obviously genuine in what they're saying and not just talking about sale or posting OHNONONO or some other dumb meme, they just post about how Personafags could never handle the challenge that is Matador, or how SMT is so much more deep than power of friendship bullshit or some shit like that.

Nice boogeyman I've literally been there and it's just you faggots squabbling about LNC like always

Just post the real vita numbers and btfo him.

P4's floors at least had variety in design. P3 dungeons all looked the same.

Tartarus has more open spaces which is kind of nice. I still hate it though.

I hate Tartarus but the dungeons in P4 were boring as hell.

>they just post about how Personafags could never handle the challenge that is Matador, or how SMT is so much more deep than power of friendship bullshit or some shit like that.
Not him but is there anything wrong with these statements? I mean, it's just as correct as saying MHWfags couldn't handle OG Tri Barroth or that Final Fantasy before 7 had better aesthetics and plots.

Tartarus was, appropriately, hellish to play through. I'm glad I started with P3 > 4 .> 5, because the other way around and I would have never stomached P3's dungeon.

Were you comatose when Persona 4 came out?

ain't quoting the whole thread

PS4 is quite literally the call of duty/fifa/2k box of the generation

Personfags can't handle criticism

Seething

When it comes out of nowhere and reeks of them trying to act like they're so above Personafags then it can be pretty annoying, especially when Matador isn't even that hard and SMT isn't that deep. I'm not saying people have to like Persona, there's plenty of good reasons to dislike it and to prefer SMT, but the amount of people who constantly shit on it in SMT threads, completely unprompted, is just obnoxious and a lot of SMT fans on Yea Forums come off as though they dislike Persona more than they like SMT. It would be annoying if people constantly shat on DDS or Raidou or anything else out of nowhere too, and Persona isn't an exception to that.

I know P4 was very popular with the anime adaption and assloads of spinoffs, but christ P5 is like a different beast. My roommate picked up P5 because he saw some fucking instagram meme about Kawakami. He was like "You can date teachers in this shit?"

Matador (and Nocturne in general) is for newfags, and is bait for people who heard about MegaTen because of Persona and want to go "against the grain", because it's the only SMT on a 3D home console.

P3 came out a long ass time ago and while it did revolutionize Persona series it was still far too edgy for normalfag taste (Death being a central theme, Shooting yourself to summon Persona etc.) still the game got pretty good word of mouth.

When P4 came out it was much more normalfag friendly with its brighter colors, constant themes of friendship, and murder mystery plot rather than cosmic horror of P3.

As a result P4 got fucking huge and was milked to shit. Even the normalest of normalfags knew about Persona 4 either from the games, anime, or the billions of fanworks of it.

P5 road off the popularity of P4 and also released at a time when ironic weebdom is acceptable among normies. P5 being stylish as fuck also contributed it to its massive popularity as people wanted to check it out just to see what it was.

I think if P3 were to be released today it would probably do better than it did originally but I still think people would prefer 4 and 5 over it.

Attached: aigis sexy.png (438x536, 423K)

It was sold when the PS4 had no fucking games besides Nier

People were posting a lot of shit online when Persona 4 came out too

Tartarus was based. The kids who hate on it are people who played way after it came out on emulator and are, therefore, cringe.

About what?
The PlayStation brand being doomed to be eternally cucked?

>When it comes out of nowhere
It never does. The only time Persona is ever mentioned in a megaten thread is if someone decides to brag about sales or shitpost about how it's not coming to the Switch.

...but im halfway done with persona 5 and i really like it :(

this but unironically

Persona 3 were a bunch of cool kids and the class clown going out at night to fight shadows. Of all the Persona casts, S.E.E.S was the only group with god tier fashion sense.

I agree that Persona 4 was normie as fuck. It's infuriating because Dojima and Adachi should've been the protagonists solving the murders. Instead, it's just Jojo Part 4 if Okuyasu was the protagonist and speaking for Josuke. Adachi is only popular because he did what most people would do with the power of Persona

Stop playing right the fuck now and go play a real game like Shin Megami Tensei 4 On The Nintendo 3DS.

PS4 lacked notable games so this is one of the best ones

>best game gets the most mediocre sales
Why does this always happen?

People who circlejerk Nocturne are obvious contrarians who played Persona and then thought they were cool SMTfags once they got their first SMT game under their belt. Digital Devil Saga is the quintessential SMT experience

>Of all the Persona casts, S.E.E.S was the only group with god tier fashion sense.
I will not let you shit on hearttits nigger

Attached: HeartTits.jpg (533x640, 70K)

*strange journey
ftfy

>all these people disrespectful towards the older games
>every thread has Persona 2 hipsters pretending that their game is the height of the Persona franchise despite everyone knowing the gameplay is slow and shitty
You keep complaining about SMT zoomers but all I see are autists raging at strawmen they made in their heads. Same with SMT vs Persona, you guys keep saying Persona people are elitist but it's always the gatekeepers instigating shit.

Digital Devil Saga isn't SMT retard.

3DS SMT games are objectively trash. SMT 1 and 2 are better.

>quintessential SMT experience

Uhh, no sweetie. That would be Soul Hackers.

P3 was supposed to be Boogiepop Phantom, Betterman, and Evangelion.

I feel like Persona 5's style takes a hit every time the plot whines about how messed up Japanese Society is. Leblanc was way too comfy for it's own good, to the point that the whole game should've been Sojiro and MC working at a coffee shop.

The 360 is still the normiest console of all time.

Strange Journey Warriors and Nocturnebabbies are on the same level, two sides of the same coin.
2 is easily the best game in the series.

This. Look at this niggas STEEZ.

Attached: Door-kun.jpg (250x353, 20K)

Nah he's right with nocturne. It's also the only smt game they've played which is why they also tend to call Apoc a persona game.

It followed 3 and 4 which MADE the brand, had Sega money to help promote it and was on multiple platforms.

You stupid fucking idiot tell him to play the real pinnacle of the series Apocalypse

>Adachi is only popular because he did what most people would do with the power of Persona.
Adachi isn’t popular and people only like him because sumg characters are fun.

Raidou games > Nocturne

>Soul Hackers
>SMT
Why do you retards even post when you don't know the difference between smt and megaten?

Waifus weren't a SMT thing untill Apoc and it's all Persona's fault

>boomers that don't even play the games they jerk off
SMT2 fags are literally the same as Persona 2fags
pottery

Came out on a platform that already obsolete and was casualized to hell. I don't know, I fucking hated P5. Makes me feel like I'm out of touch. Everyone also loves Makoto for some reason and I thought she was the absolute worst character in the game.

>Apocalypse being better than anything

I hope you don't actually believe that.

Fixing dungeons. I don't know how many friends i've shown p3 and p4 to that stopped because of repetitive dungeons. I still believe P3 is best overall but thats only because of full moons and the story is basically perfect.

Attached: 1545501582715.png (1019x657, 749K)

Persona 2 is a great game. Also, my favorite game in the MegaTen series as a whole is actually Persona 5, but Nocturnebabbies and other SMT-newfag shitters piss me off.

Explain why SMT 1 and 2 are good and better than the rest without sounding like tryhard contrarians.

>Waifus weren't a SMT thing untill Apoc
Yeah because people totally didn't waifu demons all the time.

I'm literally a zoomer.
I was 8 when Persona 4 came out. I played SMT2 as my first MegaTen and it's by far the best game in the franchise. (Persona 2 EP is easily the best Persona btw)

Apocalypse has the best game mechanics in the franchise as it fixes 4's broken Turn Press System. Plot wise, it's terrible because the game doesn't let you side with the Divine Powers, and throws in Dagda's route to give the illusion of choice.

You couldn't date them
I wish we could

More like STUPEI

Absolutely based, I'm 19 and in the same boat. Fuck the zoomer/boomer meme, form your own opinions.

Tell me one that is in the same level as the whores in apocalypse

Why the fuck would you start with 2

P5 falls apart after the Kamoshida Arc and limps forward thanks to the confidants.

SMT2 has
>GOAT battle theme
>GOAT final boss
>best realization of the L/N/C dynamic
>best concept art
>tight, gimmick free combat
>no-nonsense intro
>great worldbuilding

P5's dungeons are total shit though. They're still huge boring slogs through samey hallways, except now littered with puzzles for retards and save points every five feet. Not to mention you still have to go through Mementos which is yet another randomized pile of shit.

The dungeon gameplay in P3 and P4 wasn't good either, but I don't feel that P5 brought any meaningful improvements whatsoever. Crap like Bamham vision was entirely superfluous for the piss-easy puzzles, and the game has the worst stealth system I've ever seen in anything, where crouching next to arbitrary shit makes you completely invisible and you can instantly backstab any enemy from gigantic distances.

Don't you fucking start Yukari

>he's never done a single negotiation

Being the only exclusive on the PS4, Sony negros are very vocal about their exclusives.

Because the story/world of 2 interested me way more than 1's and I didn't want to have to go through all of 1 to get to it.

It's probably on a much higher level due to the female demons existing for far longer.

Apocalypse is written the way it is because it's a lazily put together game and just writing anime archetypes is a lazy way of writing, not because of Persona.

P3 tying the development of the party members to the main plot rather than to Social Links in 4 and 5 was a much better decision as it keeps them relative to the story for the whole game rather than until their spotlight dungeon is cleared.

Additonally having the cast all live together in a dorm gives a much better sense of community as you are ablw to interact with most of them nearly everday and continue to get to know them better unlike in P4/5 whwre there is zero reason to talk to the party members after you complete their social links

I've always wondered of demons are being nice to Nanashi because they genuinely like him, or they can see Dagda and are afraid of him.

>exclusive
Its on the PS3 too dumbass

I wouldn't describe P3's story as "basically perfect."

The Answer ruined it so P5's wins by default.

That's what I keep telling them but they still count it as exclusive. You can't have it both ways faggot.

Persona 4 and Persona 5 are smaller scale stories with no grand themes present.

>GOAT battle theme
Only SJ's is worse in mainline, the rest are better
>GOAT final boss
Apocalypse did it better
>best realization of the L/N/C dynamic
SJR did it better
>best concept art
has literally no impact on the game, and 4's is better
It's also slow, laggy, and simple. If you don't like press turn Soul Hackers is far superior, and even SMT1 and MT2 are better for being less slow
>no-nonsense intro
more like full nonsense, you wake up with some goofy music playing and some random guy already gave you a name and tells you to go play in VR land, then behind some random doors you have to name some random characters you haven't even met until you eventually get to name yourself
Unironically wtf were you talking about here

Demons have always been like that since day one so I'd say that there are just some nice ones.

Makoto was pushed, but she was pretty so people like her. I think she destroys a good portion of the character interaction because she's no fun.

>exclusively not on Switch! :^)
I hope the ps5 burns Sony to the ground, not because I hate the company but just to eradicate their brand loyal fanbase.

P4 has the theme of truth and P5 has the theme of freedom, and they're handled in a similar fashion to how P3 handled its theme of death.

P3 also had a really important small detail that I loved, which was that your party members would occasionally be unavailable because they were doing their own stuff. It added to the feeling that they were their own characters with their own lives. P4 and especially P5 lost that feeling. It got utterly absurd how, even on days where you couldn't hang out, your party members would constantly be at your beck and call no matter what, even if you were just holding a pointless meeting without actually doing anything afterwards.

>tfw western release of Persona 5 and BOTW were within like a month of each other and people shilled both as exclusives

Why was Shekinah a better YHVH than the one we got in Apocalypse?

>and was casualized to hell.
It wasn't really. There wasn't a whole lot to casualize considering how easy 3 and 4 were.

It was at the right place at the right time.

They both try to have bigger themes although I have no idea what the fuck P5 is ultimately trying to say because it's so poorly written.

She wasn't

>and people shilled both as exclusives
No one said botw was exclusive though at best you would see people saying it performed better.

Is P3 worth playing if Door-kun was spoiled for me?

No.

Yes

Persona 5 was a standard youths rebelling against Japanese society. I'm not sure why the Demiurge is the main villain and not someone from Japanese Mythology

Anime bullshit became ironically cool with the masses
so not only ironically weebs bought it but also fridge weebs (those people who kinda like anime but dont want people to know they kinda do) became more comfortable in buying it too

I don't know

I can guarantee you will enjoy the experience and still feel sad at the end even knowing what happens.

this is a shitty meme.

They spent all the Japanese mythlogy on P4 and presumably didnt want to go back to that well

Fine, I like that Mastema was manipulating Zelenin just so he can get a promotion from God. I'm mad he wasn't in Apocalypse doing the same thing with Nanashi

I really REALLY
don't get why people like makoto
Her Slink sucks ass since its mostly about some other girl
Her personality isn't that interesting
Her looks are striking, yeah
But her sister is everything she is, but better
not to mention other datable characters have much better Slinks

>P4 and especially P5 lost that feeling.
I think 5 was better for that than 4. In 5 you still get a sense of the character's lives outside of you from Mementos dialogue and there are some scenes outside of Joker's perspective, unlike 4 where there's barely any moments where you get to see characters doing things without Yu. I don't really like P3 very much, but I do agree that that is on of the things it did well, between characters not being available all the time and regularly showing characters time spent without you it felt like they had their own lives. They tried to push that feeling even more with Tactics, but I think that was a failure, even if they managed it elsewhere, I still appreciate that they tried to convey something about the characters through the gameplay like that though.

They use different gods every game. Japanese gods are 4’s thing.

You cant point this out because it's not true. 5 is shit

Then don't use mythology at all and do something that ties into the thief theme.

Shit taste

Sure there was, they made it way easier with all of their broken ass features. Now you just have a button that picks the right attack for you, the combat system gets a bunch of completely broken features tacked onto it, SP management is nonexistent, and even the dating sim aspects are super casualized because of fortune telling, so you never have to think about that whole pesky "scheduling" thing. Want to max out all of your social links in one go with months to spare? Why the fuck not!

Was it though? Everyone they "rebelled" against were just criminals anyway. Criminals that by definition aren't going along with society's rules. It was more something about control and free will but it just got bogged down in all of this retarded shit.

The trend I noticed is that Persona, Zelda and Nier all had sequels that exploded in popularity with people who were unfamiliar with or who had abandoned the series. This was due to AAA hype, new console releases and general sex appeal. And as as a result, the fandoms for all three are struggling to manage the original fan's expectations for the series' heart and soul, and the new fan's desire for EPIC ANIME ACTION and IRONIC WEEB DEPRESSION.
At least we know the next NieR won't be too swayed by it, Yoko Taro is too independent to give a shit.

PS4 is the absolute normie console. There is an ungodly amount of people who started MGS with 5, Witcher with 3, Persona with 5 and so on...

>God tier fashion sense
Man, Junpei was STYLING with that jacket
how can we buy that he is a stupid retard if he dress THAT smart

Hey user
Wanna cry like a bitch again?
youtube.com/watch?v=zHdOXCoja-c

>like SMT mainline
>don't like Persona
>the one that I don't like is infinity more popular and gets into smash, complete with allegedly a wide music selection and a stage that even changes color based on it
>mainline gets nothing
I'll probably never not be irritated about this.

Attached: 1527732998660 2.jpg (1280x720, 78K)

>Her Slink sucks ass since its mostly about some other girl
That's all the terrible SL's in this game

stop

>Everyone they "rebelled" against were just criminals anyway.
Eh, Okamura wasn't really a criminal.

>the extra mode most people didn't play because too hard or they played portable ruined it
It also didn't ruin anything.

I've also never met a new fan of these series who wasn't an incredibly entitled fuck who acted like they deserved a spot in the community while refusing to play the prequels because they're "too old." People who don't play P2-4 or Nier: Replicant are just following trends.

don't make me feel things i hate when that happens

You're upset that something that's more accessible is more popular? What did you expect?

>tfw nothing in 4 or 5 comes anywhere close to the Kino of P3’s final month

youtu.be/dilI_gy2KdI

Attached: 335BF253-31D1-4E12-A04D-391BD6D62B5D.jpg (696x1000, 127K)

Ther Persona 5 characters have no inner selves. They're just told to rebel by their own persona, except for Yusuke.

I'm upset that the ones I like gets shafted and didn't get anywhere near as much attention, yes.

Man, I completely disagree because in P4, at least your band of misfits actually felt like they were friends with each other and would actually hang out with each other in your absence. In 5 it's like everyone's a huge loser with no friends besides you and nobody ever seems like they'd even talk to each other without Joker there, except for maybe Ann and Ryuuji.

Also 5 drove me fucking crazy with how shittily its social links were planned out with the main cast. Ryuuji in his social link versus Ryuuji in the story felt like two completely different people because the character development couldn't carry over because Atlus are shit. You finish his link early and he finally learns to not be such a hotheaded dumbass, and then you have to put up with story Ryuuji's retardation for the rest of the game.

It does nothing better than 1-4. It has worse chararacters, worse music, story, casualized gameplay as bad as P2IS. The only thing it does better than the previous games is visuals.

>Best gameplay
>Worst story (inb4 "P3 and P4 are shit as well" The stories in these games are full of holes but P5 has the most unentertaining story of the bunch)
>But you can fuck your teacher

It's okay.

Come on, anons
Its not like the translated lyrics make it even harder to try to not cry... oh god... why I am crying too

>Now you just have a button that picks the right attack for you
That's just QoL, it doesn't make it easier it just makes it so you have to go through less menus to do what you would have done anyway.
>the combat system gets a bunch of completely broken features tacked onto it
Futaba has the broken moves and Rise had them in 4G too.
>SP management is nonexistent,
You can get around it pretty quickly, but SP management wasn't hard to handle in 3 or 4 either.
>and even the dating sim aspects are super casualized because of fortune telling
This is true, but I also just think it's better. Making it realistic to be able to max out your Confidants on your own but making you have to handle them in a specific way to do so is much better than P3 where you have to have everything down to the wire and the game doesn't even feel like it's designed with letting you max all S. Links out on one playthrough in mind. It's not that big a difference from 4G where the extra month made maxing everything out easier, even with having to do Marie too.

I'm not saying the game's hard, just that P3 and 4 were easy too, and a lot of the easier changes in 5 were already changed in 4G.

go to bed

P2 is a great game if you ignore the shit gameplay. And p5 is dogshit all around.

But, like, all of the main party girls get a decent Slink
BUT makoto

Ann's is about herself
Futaba's is not only about her, but integral to the plot
Even Haru's who starts her slink so fucking far into the year is about herself

Makoto is Lets trail some bitch because its all a over complicated metaphor about myself and how much of a repressed bitch I am

It came out in the streamer era.

Like that's literally it, it got more exposure because youtube/twitter/twitch, same reason Yakuza almost died if it wasn't for Yakuza 0 getting so much exposure.

>Everyone they "rebelled" against were just criminals anyway. Criminals that by definition aren't going along with society's rules.
The whole point is that they're capable of their criminal acts because of society's unstated rules. They get away with what they're doing because society chooses to look the other way because of various reasons. This isn't even exclusively a Japanese thing because the same mentalty happens in the US as well. Respect your superiors because they know better, don't rock the boat or you're ruining things for everyone else, how dare you say that law enforcement is wrong, etc.

P3's final months were too good for this world

and yet people still try to argue that streaming/lets plays kill sales

Man, Shido should have been the final boss of P5. The mementos dungeon and all that shit after was so retarded and out of nowhere.

I don't really agree with any of what you said. Chie and Yukiko came off like the only friends in P4 to me and that's just because they were friends before you came along. Aside from that you see no signs of friendship aside from characters showing up together, and Yosuke seems like he wouldn't get along with a lot of the cast if Yu wasn't there to glue them together. In 5 you at least see Makoto and Sae so you can see a bit of her personal life and then you get a lot of dialogue in Mementos where characters make plans to spend time together, like Ryuji and Yusuke talking about going to get something to eat, which feels like more than you got with the P4 cast.

I was also completely fine with the main cast's Confidants. Ryuji doesn't feel like a different person between the story and his Confidant, he's just more solemn in his Confidant because he's dealing with a part of his past that he's sensitive about, where he's energetic in the story because he's having fun with having a double life. Being a hotheaded dumbass is part of his character, and his Confidant wasn't about undoing that, and that being a part of his character doesn't mean he has to approach every situation in his life by being loud and dumb. It's just the same as how in Rise's S. Link in 4 she's not acting like an idol all the time like she does in the story, it's just her behaving in a different way to suit a different context.

The Ryuji stuff pissed me off so much. It soured my opinion on his character when he's a pretty stand up guy in his Slink, and even in Ann's (he tells her to tone down on the flirting and to just be herself) yet in the main game he's annoying as fuck. Even in the Smash Direct he's shitting on Arsene

But dat scene with satanael tho

I don't think P3 was easy, it threw very difficult minibosses at you and if you weren't grinding, you had to have very specific setups to clear shit, especially given how strict you had to be with time and how you couldn't grind infinitely because you'd eventually get sick and all of your party members would leave after they got tired. It also had mechanics like broken social links and having to manage jealous girls which added depth to the scheduling.

I didn't play Golden, but P4, while significantly easier than P3, still had some pretty tough encounters. P5 is a cakewalk from beginning to end and it's ridiculous. Part of the problem is that it's basically just P4's combat system with broken multi-hit physical skills except with a bunch of unnecessary shit tacked on that makes everything trivially easy. Being able to do shit like guaranteed knockdowns for otherwise worthless bullets or switching team members in the middle of battle utterly breaks the game. Unlike P4 where SP is in serious demand early game and really up until you progress the fox social link, P5 gives you SP restoring accessories insanely early and lets you buy SP restoratives out of the gate, so there's no tension in the early game at all.

Casualization is just a series of "QoL" features that end up taking all of the thought out of playing a game, and that's P5 in every regard.

The jap dub direct ryuji is much less of a dick on Arsene

It wasn't like nobody played these games before 5 came around. Persona 3 was very popular, Persona 4 was INSANELY popular. 5's success is not without precedent.

P3 on hard is a lot more challenging than P5 on hard/merciless. The bosses themselves and fodder encounters have actual difficulty built into them, and vastly lower SP items you get in the game. And unlike 5 you don't get a bunch of early free shit like the broken SL abilities and broken fusion options/personas. Time management being stricter was a good thing because daily life planning actually matter to see what Links you could finish. After you finish P5 what's there to do? Just fight the twins. That's it.

Then it wouldn't be a Persona game genius

Just remember most of the people on these threads are barely 20. Also, commercialization kind of exploded in the 200'0s

P3 was the first big bump, you moralizing normie-lite. Each Persona game got exponentially bigger, P5 only kept up the trend P3 and 4 created.

why they legs so long

P5 is more than twice as popular as P4

>P5 gives you SP restoring accessories insanely early and lets you buy SP restoratives out of the gate
user, the first restoring SP items restore 1 point of SP every so often
they are not worth at all
The first SP restoring consumables also restore almost jack shit
They are also rare early on, the 5SP coffee is the only thing you can rely on till you get the SP IVs and consumables much later in the year
Half of P5 is MAN I COULD GO ON TILL THE END OF THE DUNG- FUCK I CAN"T CAST SHIT ANYMORE

1 was the highest selling in the franchise before 5, and 5's sales are higher than vanilla 3 and 4's combined. The trick is in international sales: in Japan your statement is correct (aside from 1 still being the highest selling pre-5) but 5 had a ludicrous amount of international sales compared to the rest of the series.

>Being a hotheaded dumbass is part of his character,
What the fuck am I reading. His social link is entirely about him kicking himself for being a hotheaded dumbass and realizing he can make it right by changing, and he does. Then everything he does in the story is being a hotheaded dumbass which fucks stuff up constantly. It's infuriating.

Rise didn't act like an idol all the time in the story, but then again, P4's entire point was about accepting all of the facets of yourself. It's nothing like P5 where Ryuuji clearly learns his lesson in his social link, but then he's back to being a total retard in the story because now his character development has been cut out for gameplay reasons.

Going backwards from the most egregiously wrong opinion to some of the more minor points, Yosuke was already getting along pretty well with Chie, he's weirdly considerate of Kanji, and he has his whole bro thing with Teddy. Meanwhile the P5 cast are all a bunch of awkward weirdos. Nobody has anything to do with Yusuke. Makoto is too busy being the team mom to relate to anybody. Futaba is a weird NEET who can only really talk to Joker. Also Makoto and Sae resolve jack shit, the only thing we ever see of them is how dysfunctional they are because Makoto's an autist and Sae' s a frigid bitch. Also I only ever heard half of the Mementos dialogue because I kept having to open doors, but I don't remember anything of substance ever transpiring.

I'm 27 years old, I don't deserve to be an old man.

By what standard? I don't doubt it, it's the most popular game at this moment because it's the most recent but without the huge core that P3 and P4 built up, it wouldn't have made an impact as much.

Attached: 1376855215470.png (131x180, 40K)

I agree with the rest of your post but Yosuke was a dick to Kanji multiple times.

>By what standard?
Actual sales?

Love P3/p4 and hated P5. P5 didn't take anything from previous games and if it did simply make them worse. It has better dungeons but they are shit anyway so what's the point? Its barely a stepup. Combat is faster but it's barely a setup from 4, in fact it's the same shit but with new features they didn't executed well at all. Story and characters are garbage all around and couldnt match 3 at all.

Literally the sales number and the fact that no one had ever heard of Persona until 5.

>huge core
A bunch of weebs arguing who is best waifu is not a huge core
5 sold way more than everything else before it, combined

>5SP coffee
30SP. That's a lot. I did every palace in one day.

Not him but fuck off Morgana.

user, Tae is literally one of the first confidants you get in the game and it is very easy to get her to rank 5 for the best SP recovery accessory and rank 7 for the discount because all you need is rank 2 guts until rank 8. While you can argue the adhesives are expensive, it is ludicrously easy to grind the money for them. And even if you can't afford four right off the bat, you can just give one to Morgana/Makoto and one to Ann.

Fair enough. World's changed anyway, weeb games are popular for some reason.
>No one had ever heard of Persona until 5
Bahahaah oh wow.
And now P5 has twice the people arguing over who is best waifu.

Attached: 1376992441889.png (206x285, 102K)

Persona 5 doesn’t have any S.Links.

>weeb games are popular for some reason.
Correction, advertised games are popular.

stop pretending Yea Forums's opinion matters, if you like something then enjoy it, stop trying to hate it because a bunch of nameless posts tell you to

Oh fuck off you little shit.

Yeah, that SP recovery accessory is fucking broken. And you can get like a million rupees in one day with Money Reading.

It's the same shit mechanically, it's only renamed for thematic reasons.

>but you have bonuses and
I guarantee Persona 6's social links will have mechanical bonuses as well.

SHRINKY SHRINKY
and it actually works, the absolute madmen

It's literally the same thing renamed but worse since the abilities you get are beyond busted

Ryuji's Confidant is about him trying to keep his old team from falling into the situation that they did with Kamoshida by trying to teach them the things he's learned since joining the PTs. He shows regret for making trouble for his mother from acting the way he does, but he doesn't regret standing up to Kamoshida which is a result of him being a hothead. It ends with him helping the team but not wanting to join them, which has nothing to do with any kind of regret for being the way he is. Nothing he does in his Confidant or in the story is contrary to one another no matter when you've done the Confidant.

Yosuke is such an asshole to Kanji that Chie has to scold him for it and he doesn't even seem to care, I don't know how you could look at them and see them as ever wanting to spend time with another if not for Yu when Yosuke constantly makes jokes that Kanji clearly doesn't find funny and is just upset by. Yusuke talks about spending time with Futaba and Ryuji in Mementos, and unless you want to assume they just lie about spending time together for some reason there's no reason not to believe they really do spend that time together. Makoto may be the team mom, but she still shows herself having a relationship with other characters and her role in that relationship doesn't change that the relationship is there. Futaba has a dynamic going with Yusuke and Makoto through the whole game. The point in mentioning the Makoto and Sae scenes is just that you see her having her own life and relationship outside of you. I don't think all of the P3 scenes outside of the MC's perspective are good, but they all at least offer some individualizing for the characters, and there's none of that in P4 because the only scene like that is when Yu is in prison when Yosuke is giving Teddie a phone. I do think Mementos dialogue is poorly delivered, but that doesn't undo the contents of the dialogue which creates a dynamic between the group just fine.

Is it okay if I played it first, but thought P3 was miles better?

>game makes investing in characters more rewarding
>this is a bad thing
never change Yea Forums

I can't figure it out at all either. She fucking sucks. Her entire introduction is about how she's a dumb bitch and then as soon as she gets her persona, everyone is immediately choking on her dick. Please be our tactician Makoto because you haven't just been constantly bumbling into dangerous situations with no plan like a brainless H-doujin slut.

No because now you just have bad taste.

Or you can get Tora to rank 2 and hold-up grind Apsaras in Madarame's Palace
Or you can get Ann to level 30 and fuse an Ame-no-Uzume to confuse grind fucking everything, especially bosses.
Or you can do it the old fashioned way and just rush mode grind low level mobs.
Or etc etc etc

Yes because now you have absolutely refined taste.

>it's okay to have a bunch of OP stuff locked away in shit the game expects you to do
Or they could have just balance the game better and make something that's not easier than P4.

Yes. that's the natural objective thought unless you really think bad games like p5 is good.

I guess what I mean is that Yosuke at least has some kind of relationship or rapport with Kanji, even if it's negative. Even if he's being a homophobic dickhead, any relationship dynamic makes them more interesting than the total apathy of P5. They're characters that I can imagine interacting, whereas I can't begin to imagine what the fuck a conversation between Yusuke and Haru would be.

Am I making any sense? I think I'm just going to go to bed because I just can't get over how fucking disappointing Persona 5 was and all of this Smash shit is just dredging up bad memories.

>He didn't spend hundreds of hours 100% the old games.
>He didn't spend 3 years coming over every detail, every little preview for Persona 5
>He didn't experience despair and wallow in alcoholism due to the delays
>He just got it because it had a flashy trailer and his favorite ironic weeb e-celebs played it

JK man, it's all good.

More mechanics is good, but not adequately balancing for those mechanics resulting in the entire game being laughably easy even on its highest difficulty level is bad. It's the same thing with all the new battle mechanics that the enemy never uses because the AI is retarded.

Name a fucking good social link in Persona 3. You fucking can't. Elizabeth doesn't count because that isn't a SL.

It's easier. P5 on hard is easier than 3/4 on normal

Ken, romance route

The party dynamics and interactions in P5 are complete shit.

Hermit, you motherfucker. Cybersex with your drunk depressed cake teacher is best.

Pink alligator.

The Sun and Tower are good but most of them are complete shit.

Tower. Sun. All the girls

sick old man and tanaka. bebe was cute

Now I want to replay P5 so I can make an Arsene with all those skills. Autism is suffering.

Unironically all of the new social links in the P3P FeMC route. Extra character development for all the male party members. Made me think a dog was an actual decent character.

basically this, it looks good, plays good, sounds good appeals to both normies and weebs alike

I can't decide whether I like P3 or P5 more, but the reason it's close for me is because 5 just has this incredible sense of style and fun that 3 lacks. 3 is a better story and has better characters but 5 feels like something legitimately special, and they're both such complete experiences that I have trouble deciding. God I love this series.

Coin toss. Or you could be a faggot like me and like them all.

5 is a unfinished rushed mess that's boring as fuck with a shit story and braindead easy gameplay. Its not special at all. The ending is pure trash

jesus christ i just watched the smash trailer and the dub is so fucking bad i want to die

VERY EASY Mode brought in the normies

Attached: a5js8yyzf5921.jpg (640x946, 145K)

So sad that your edgelord Evangelion/shitty Scooby Doo ripoff hasn't made a dent in the public consciousness like P5 has. Twice the sales that your games COMBINED

How does that stop P5 from being a bad game? Sales = good now?

What the fuck is an ironic weeb?

Yep.

Nope.

Sad

Attached: 5e4effacca3be4b4ca63a0ada43d0d75.jpg (1920x1080, 896K)

It's plot is worse than Scooby doo's though

Everything after Madarame wasn't edgy in the slightest.

And also boring and easy as fuck

Better gameplay
Better style
Maximum waifufaggotry pandering

It's basically 3 but refined with even more wish fulfillment. It's not surprising why it took off .

It doesn't actually have better gameplay

Not him but, what about 3's gameplay that makes it better than 5. Please don't tell me you're a "control MC only is good combat" fag

That isn't edgy at all. Kamoshida's plot is so fucking stupid. Oh, his id wants to fuck that attractive girl and that's wrong. We should brainwash that guy. That's real justice.

Goro was right.

Death is a possibility and you has to use your brain a little, time management wasn't casualized, and the dungeons while shit at least you had to put effort into navigating because you need exp for boss fights. And not being able control party members were a good thing. It added immersion and atomsphere to the game.

That makes the tactics useful, tho.

The stealth mechanic in P5 is so fucking shit. And the worst part that you can avoid that. For what fucking purpose?

What about making negotiations require a crit/weakness, and the hardest difficulty making it so those are almost always one shots early on making trying to build a team complete cancer