City of Heroes Private Server discussion

Lots of new information coming out that a private server indeed has existed for years, with all discussion of it being censored from the public.
docs.google.com/document/d/1hzwH2k4nxCpet1cZUxMOkHHpmCrM3IY6-IZGqWxue3c/

>tldr
>Game gets permanently shut down
>Developer hands off server code and information to one man
>He keeps it private and away from public eye
>IF you managed to get in from someone sponsoring you, he has it locked behind a paywall
>Takes funds from kickstarter campaigns as a smokescreen to fund the server
>Meanwhile tells people that private servers don't exist
>6 years pass and a leaker finally exposes him keeping the only running CoH server to himself

Attached: Citi kept quiet.png (1691x793, 838K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cityoftitans.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=uUuQDcL2FoY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

/exposed/ by King Neckbeard.

I had a friend who played this game. Wonder if he got into the secret server. His real name is Ralph

Its gonna sound gay to say but someone seriously should send this to cr1tikal. He has a fanbase and cares about the game immensely.

A little heads up form the last thread
>The post count goes up
>Its another "You're all so entitled for thinking reddit faggots are trash and that bogarting code they didn't make which necessary to make a private server while simultaneously accepting donations on the false pretense of trying to figure out how to make a private server makes these faggots conartists too! Why don't you make your own server even though we are preventing any competition?!".
>It has reddit spacing and may even mention going to reddit
>the number of posters did not go up
Attention faggots, you have replicated the Streisand effect and nothing you do now will improve your situation, you are surrounded. At least you can stop making it worse for yourselves and give up. Drop the code and step away from the interent, your server, livelihoods, and mental health may survive if you do.

Attached: 1479272060903.jpg (896x1177, 213K)

Could the thief have stolen the database and server causing them to close the game since they had no backups? CoH was making profit.

This shit should be covered by journos aswell, maybe they could be useful for once in their fucking life

>CITY OF TITANS WEBSITE IS DOWN
cityoftitans.com/
What does this mean?

I'm getting out if here before this becomes some /i/ shit and this cunt gets murdered by an Argentinian gang

Thats funny since that was up earlier

>It's an egotistical lanky autistic nerd powertripping episode
I've never played the original but I can understand the anger behind this. This would have never happened if the nerd just didn't lie about anything and didn't try to fuck over everyone else for his power fantasy.

Attached: d3d1959c82ce81ed709bf8f69e567176.jpg (585x410, 29K)

Wow, they made a different thread with zero info in the OP to spread more disinformation. I feel the shills have been doing this for years.

It means they're trying to cover their tracks. It's too late for that now.

Attached: HAPPENING.jpg (398x301, 22K)

From what was being talked about a couple threads ago, the thievery likely happened long after CoH shut down, but they may have found out about it when they were thinking of selling the rights to some other studio and suddenly backed off for no apparent reason. It would be pretty fuckin shameful to want to sell a beloved IP only to find out "oh shit we fucking lost it somehow".

Yes, but how does that explain the sudden shutdown of a profitable MMO

You never seen how a cult works before? They brainwash their members to do everything the top says and this guy has been pushing them to hide every fucking thing and since the members are all high rankers in the community they've been able to hide it all. Stuff like this just makes it obvious how there are shit ton of well known secrets that never make it out to us small fries since somebody is able to keep a fucking private server this well hidden.

There are already shills in these threads trying to damage control when they don't realise they're already fucked now that word has gotten out.

The most likely rumor is that it was actually internal family drama with them trying to fuck eachother over. City of Heroes might have been shut down over petty family squabbles.

In all honesty I think people are mostly faking the whole shill thing for the hell of it. Everything is out there already, there's no memory holing this one now. As long as people keep discussing it then there's no problem. Just remember to link the guy's video every once in a while and maybe grab a copy of it should it somehow be taken down.

Anyone get the dudes email? Asking for a friend.

Who cares? Reddit is the type to be heavily judgmentally guided by their emotions. When they don't like something if they're out of the loop they immediately crusade about it and talk shit immensely.
t. ss13 mod
If he's putting in the resources and energy it's up to him to open it up to whatever and whoever he likes, especially if the bigwigs would seek to shut it down. Reminder that they did literally nothing wrong you fucking emotional hot head redditors

We have it, its on one of the banned emails

Rumors always swirled it was NCSoft cooking some accounting books due to the quarter seeing GW2's launch as well. shutting down a dev studio could in theory make GW2 look even more successful since they unceremoniously pink slipped lot of employees in another studio.
Someone else said it was potentially entirely Korean corporate politics between the two sides of NCSoft, NCsoft's home office in korea might've intentionally sabotaged NCsoft west (america) by demanding they shutter CoX despite it being a profitable MMO as part of a power-play.

You are a faggot and we all fucking hate you
t. ss13 player

You can't put the radical ancap hat on only whenever it suits you

Lol actually its on the pic in the OP

It's not hard at all to proliferate the parts other people would need to set up their own servers. He profited and deceived, and created a small group that went along with it. You lost.

Putting an e-celeb onboard does sound wise. Sure, someone blew this case wide open, but if no one's gonna direct their eyes towards this then there's no point.

I'd doubt he doesn't know by now

Some thread mentioned he's out cold in the hospital, so people here will have to find some other e-celeb.

I played CoH a fuckton, I had over like 4k hours in that game before it shut down. But also, I don't see why anyone here cares except some discord faggots. Like, you were living your life for 6 years without knowing it exists, suddenly it exists and your beyond mad?
Also, shouldn't you be more mad at the dev who decided to literally leak the entire source code 6 years ago, on a random fucking sub reddit, to a random fucking person who just happened to be passing by? Isn't that more fucked up then an obese fatty taking the source code and running a private server?

This is so so fucked. I can’t believe this game has been playable for all this time

Thats hell of a damage control

>guy runs an actual private server
Yeah okay nothing wrong with that
>same guy also scams others, shuts down others who try to reverse engineer it and acts like he's a saviour of the community
People like this need to be hanged

As if it's going to be effective. E-celebs are dime a dozen. If one's down, someone can replace him.

>played fuckton
>who cares?
>don't do anything
t.Leonardo

I really don't care about this reddit autism, so someone just answer me this: When is the source code getting out so that people who are actually capable of running their own lives can make private servers?

Yeah, I mean at this point i'm convinced your either trannies or bots. Literally nobody i'm still friends with actually still cares about CoH, and they were top of the leaderboards globally. The game shut down like what, 10 years ago? Why the fuck should I still care about a game that even though I enjoyed is long dead, and just happened to be hosted by an obese faggot. I've moved onto greener pastures of other autistic MMO's like final fantasy.

Ok dude. Just leave this thread about that thing you and your friends don't care about and go find an Apex Legends thread to post in.

No because literal redshit mods are keeping a leaked copy of the code for themselves, sabotaging anyone else's attempts to reverse engineer it, and still accepting donations claiming that they re hard at work reverse engineering it.

Given how many projects have been nuked by legal threats over the years, I have some sympathy for the argument that the secrecy is why it was able to run for seven years.

I suppose the thing to take away from this is that it's an
>eventually
thing, because there IS a working copy out there, and it's in the hands of people so comically incompetent that they're bound to have it be stolen from them at some point. Even SS13's Goonstation source code got leaked twice, after all.

Nah I can't, because I need to prove that your little autistic brigade against a fatty is shitting up the site worse then Apex Legends is, yesterday we had 5 threads that were just shitting up the catalog which were ALL discord trannies like you, trying to start weird drama and get people behind their brigade. Im in this thread to tell people just passing through, that these people who are posting this shit, are most likely redditors or discord trannies who have decided to shit up the catalog with their autistic bullshit, and don't believe them.
CoH was a good game, CoH fucking died because it had a horrid philosophy and a horrid sub based service, and a fatty is running a secret private server and has been for 6 years. Literally none of this effects your life, or effects the game in any way shape or form. If anything it's the dev's fault that they leaked the source code to a literally who, who did the sensible thing and opened up a private server.
Now we know the code is out there, now we just have to get it and open our own server which shouldn't be too hard (unless your a seething tranny who doesnt know how to code)

youtube.com/watch?v=uUuQDcL2FoY
Tell me, does it pain you when I post this? Like an actual, physical pain, perhaps in the retinas when you even so much as glance at the embed text in its full glory?

>have some sympathy for the argument that the secrecy is why it was able to run for seven years.
Yeah if only the original code were to somehow wind up on share networks thus ensuring that it could never be deleted from existence and that anyone could run their own server. Too bad no one in the world has access to the original co- oh wait...

Attached: 1332215827332.jpg (297x369, 19K)

>Anyone could run their own server
Generally speaking, it's not going to be as simple as 'CoHserver.exe' being set up on someone's computer somewhere and that being that. I don't agree with how they went about it but it's probably better than a public server going up for a month, getting hit with a C&D, then nobody ever trying again because of the work involved and the imminent legal action once they do. Wouldn't be the first time.

If the SOURCE CODE FOR THE GAME is available and floating around, who fucking cares? If one server goes down, another pops up. The problem here is that all is being gatekept by some fucking argenigger on a power trip.

>If one goes down, another pops up
Do you know how many more popular games haven't been this fortunate? There's not an endless fucking stream of people out there willing to spend time and money to revive games. I agree that the source code probably should've been quietly leaked onto TBP or something but I understand where these people were coming from. It's not unreasonable.

>it's probably better than a public server going up for a month, getting hit with a C&D, then nobody ever trying again because of the work involved and the imminent legal action once they do
So you think its the best option because nobody save a few retards will ever be able to play it, and your reasoning is that running pirate server / communities is hard and in one public server got C&Dd everyone would shutdown? Do you have brain damage? Why do you refuse to consider that if the code was on share networks, and thus could never be deleted, that maybe hundreds of communities that operate in this way you think is preferable would spring up? Maybe you aren't concussed, maybe you are one of the shitheads benefiting from it. If that is the case I hope the server is C&D and the code is destroyed so you can be in the shoes of everyone else.

Attached: 2000px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png (2000x2265, 782K)

>because the source code is available publicly my private server must also be

Shut up Leo

So this is the official 'anybody that disagrees with me is a shill' thread, right?

The people behind it are full retard and probably shouldn't have done anything at all with the source code of the fucking game if they were worried about NCsoft eventually retaliating. They definitely shouldn't have tried making money off of it what the fuck?