>2019
>no game has ever outdone Crysis's (2007) destructible tree damage system

How the hell is this even possible? When I played it at the time I thought that shit would be standard by now.

Attached: crysis tree.jpg (1920x1080, 1.91M)

too cpu demanding and modern consoles still have shit cpu performance

who cares the game wasn't even that good

If only it was a good game.

>when bushes can be used as hiding place

Attached: 118260892-352-k695563.jpg (352x550, 20K)

Why don't games do sun shadows like this anymore? Where the actual location of the sun is where the shadow casting light is emitted from? I can only think of one other game that had these early morning and late sunrise super long horizontal shadows, Mad Max. They look amazing too bad more don't do it.

Attached: crysis64_2017_12_28_03_09_05_084.jpg (2560x1440, 1.25M)

breath of the wild has it, surprisingly enough considering the potato hardware it runs on

I've always assumed that the tree destruction system in Crysis was a big homage to Delta Force. Being able to shoot down various trees in that game was pure kino. It was also voxel-based, while Crysis uses voxels for terrain. Also you literally play a Delta Force operative in Crysis.

>who cares the game wasn't even that good
It's so bad that literally every open world game is based on a combination of Far Cry 1 and Crysis's design ideas.

I thought that after Red Faction: Guerilla every game would implement fully destructible buildings; this came out roughly the same time as Prototype, and all I could think was how incredible it would be to have RFG's building destruction combined with Prototype's city and powers

it turns out that people are lazy, and now the only destruction we get in games is either HEAVILY scripted (like the environment in BF4), or pathetic (like the destruction in crackdown 3's multiplayer)

zoomer

Because it can cause shadow acne at those angles if your choice of shadow mapping technique is badly implemented or just plain arse.

you sure you study hard enough?

Name better sandbox-fps.

realistically what does it add to the game? nothing. resources would have been better spent on bigger maps rather than the small linear ones they went with

what?

>realistically what does it add to the game?
Environmental reactivity is a goddamn cornerstone of FPS immersion. A huge reason why games like Prey and Deus Ex are better than all the other games is because you can turn the light switches on and off.

>what does more interaction add to an interactive medium

smaller, linear(but still open enough) packed with detail > massive map

Reminder that Crytek UK's console port of Crysis has better environmental destruction than modern AAA games including Ubisoft's version of the Far Cry series.

Attached: Crysis 360.webm (640x360, 2.9M)

botw does a surprising amount of technically impressive things considering the shitty hardware it has to work with
little things like shadows, foliage collission, etc
really kinda sucks to have such a technically impressive game as a launch title because almost every game to come after it needs to be held to those standards and almost nothing has come close without crazy performance hits

eh, odyssey's not too shabby considering the fact it runs solid 60fps. But yeah, botw is on a whole other level in terms of technical achievements: really good physics implementation, great lighting/shadows (albeit low shadow resolution), real-time reflections as opposed to the more commonly adopted shittier SSR seen in most games these days, excellent wildlife animation, great sound design. It's really impressive, and you really begin to appreciate it when emulating where you can upscale and improve shadow and LoD quality.

so you can call it shit or something?

>real-time reflections
*real-time planar reflections
at least I assume that's what botw uses, I'm not 100% certain as it appears to be some custom implementation. It's definitely not SSR though as it still reflects off-screen objects when e.g. looking straight down at the reflective water surface

I call your "opinion" shit.

Horizon Zero Dawn has destructible trees that break at different points and that you can climb around on after they break. You have to get robots to knock them down for you though