YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING

YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING
Is it even worth going to college to be a game designer? It's what I really want to do but the industry is so fucking terrible that I know I'd just kill myself. Should I just stick with computer science?

Attached: snowdin town after dark.png (586x485, 12K)

DO NOT GO TO COLLEGE FOR ANYTHING OVERTLY VIDEO GAMES RELATED

it's a waste of money and time

>college for comp sci
just learn it on your own, and get a different degree.

You'd be better off nutting up with self-guided study or, God forbid, actually working on a game than going to college for game design

Going to college for Mechanical Engineering in Nanotechnology. Maybe one day we'll all have lizardmen BFs.

Attached: Backpack2.jpg (768x576, 99K)

You could say this about literally anything that doesn't require specific certification. The benefit college allows is adding some incentive to kids with low motivation, and if he's posting on Yea Forums, then he likely is one.

Go to college for a software eng or design degree. Don’t go to college for video game degrees lmao.

Don't go to college for a hobby. And you like playing video games, not making them.

there's a fuckton of game designers that did pet projects on the side (mods, game maker) and got degrees in other shit, some completely unrelated like even english

do something like finance, any of the engineering, stats, natural sciences (if you plan on continuing education) and learn some code through indefinite internet resources

compsci with graphics programming related courses
indie devs that just took game design end up burning out because the code they write just has never ending problems
trust me, it goes well at first, you make heaps of progress, you might even be confident enough to try crowd funding, but the moment you actually start testing and doing QA there will be a never ending list of bugs, each taking days to fix and you'll just feel like you'd rather be doing anything else but looking at that code

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (540x558, 34K)

That’s a good point actually, op should do media studies or something

Learn to code or to draw or any actual useful skill

Learn game fundaments and design on your own

Work with whatever you studied and save money for your videogame budget and make videogamesn on spare time

Studying videogame design won't get you anywhere unless you get connections

Do what I did. Stick with computer science, get a comfy nice-paying developer job completely unrelated to video games, and be happy but sometimes wonder what might have been.

>tfw i dropped out of community college because my motivation was so low

that sounds like fucking retarded.
learn to make vidya at home as a hobby. indie devs are real.
or learn something actually useful.finding a job in gamedev sounds fucking awful compared to anything else computer-science related.

it all sounds like a fucking way to scam idiots out of money, chasing the latest job trend instead of solid options.

No. Just teach yourself. Plenty of guides out there. Learn a trade instead. Trades make hella cash, which you can use to fund your vidya career.

if you aren't going there to eventually make gacha/lootbox -esque games, there is no point

Yeah go follow your dreams OP, the worst that can happen is that you waste years of your life and thousands of dollars for a stupid paper that won't do jack shit for you and that all the time and money you wasted getting it could be used to make your own vidya and maybe it could pay back but you didn't and now you feel like a complete and absolute moron for choosing such a fucking stupid thing to study.

So go for it OP.

fuck you nigger

>get a comfy nice-paying job completely unrelated to video games, and be happy but sometimes wonder what might have been.

You're me

Attached: 1480982301496.jpg (401x439, 11K)

>tfw abloo bloo
shooo, shoo
back into /r9k/ you go

Attached: 1544584981049.jpg (1181x955, 593K)

i don't go to /r9k/, i'm not that bad.

If only I could be doing the same job with hellish overtime and less security...

My dream has been to make a game, right now I'm finishing up my first year of cs and I've had literally no time to work on it because of having so much schoolwork, god fucking dammit this is going to take forever unless i grind this summer

Attached: MMMPH.png (822x362, 221K)

it's also amazing how Twitter propagates survivorship bias

you see the guy who "made it" but there's 100,000 who disappeared into the ether, some of which irreparably fucked their lives

bullshit, you have been playing games and shitposting in all your spare time
compared to other degrees cs is pretty light on work unless you actually have trouble solving 1st year programming problems

Attached: 1469790073438.jpg (853x960, 111K)

OP here. Thanks bros. I had a feeling that going to school for game dev was retarded so I think I'll go into CS. Math is the only thing I'm good at in school and I like programming and stuff.
The computer teacher at my school worked on System Shock and he always tells me about how cool it was working at Looking Glass, but I see the vidya industry has changed for the worse now

Attached: pr. pavel, im unatco.jpg (358x497, 19K)

see the spray a gay worked

you can still work on games my dude, its much easier getting into a game studio as a programmers, not a game designer

Games aren't my true passion anyway, it just seemed like something that would be interesting. I have other stuff that I want to pursue in my spare time when I'm older.

>was too functionally retarded to grasp C++ and even fucking Java, narrowly squeezed through entry level undergrad classes
>absorbed statistical programming like R and SAS no sweat and enjoy it during separate masters program

maybe my head wasnt in the right place at the time, ui dont know

would you even have time to make your vidya with a trade job?

thats good in a way, stats/ analysis people are in high demand and get paid decently

>Going to college for video game design
You go to college for anything science/mathematical or dont go at all. Learn programming

>failed my first year Compsci
>doing my second attempt now but failing even harder
I think I should really just do something else, I'm not cut out for this shit.

>want to make games
>forced to work on a project that doesn’t interest you
>work crunch hours for the entire duration of project
>no guarantee of release
>won’t be credited since it’s Leads that get all of the recognition
>won’t get paid any better if successful
>won’t get rehired if you ask for better pay
Just learn to code and work for some big corporation. Get paid 6 figures to work 30 hours per week or less. Make games in your free time

While I have cs people here, I want to ask something:

>want to make program that solves sudoku puzzles
Can I use 0 as a placeholder value for each "cell" of data? a line or square in sudoku always equals 45, and I thought maybe I could have it catagorize the numbers it's given into proper catagories, then match it out from there.

no shit, you're supposed to realise that after the first attempt
if you are at a university you can usually go to other classes and change courses without penalty in the first couple of weeks, try electrical engineering or something.. although if you are failing at cs because you have weak logic or math then that might not be great either

why does no one ever recommend 3d modeling in these threads

>needing to """learn""" something as easy as 3d modeling

>Is it even worth going to college to be a game designer?
No. In fact, only go to college if you're interested in STEM or need a specific certification and have no doubt in your mind about that being what you want to do. If you're self-motivated, just teach yourself what you need to know. If you're not, just get a shitty job somewhere and be useful to work your way up the ladder.

What language are you using? What data structure are you using to store the grid? I don't see why you couldn't use 0 as a placeholder for a number you haven't found yet but the number 0 is completely meaningless on it's own.

op wants to program so same reason no one mentioned sound design, art or story writing

Go for trades fuckwit. Don't fall for the gayming meme.

Weekends, yeah. Or just be a plumber and do whatever the fuck you want with your hours. I envy plumbers and their flexible hours and good pay. If I wasn't going for a geoscience degree I'd be a plumber.

depends entirely on how you are solving it
you could use nulls too and just when you are checking a row just put random numbers where the nulls are (that aren't the same as the puzzle numbers) and check the sum

Art was mentioned, but only drawing, so I'm guessing character design and concept work. I don't think anyone ever talks about sound effects, and writing or performing orchestra for vidya OST probably doesn't count as working on vidya in anyone's mind. If writing ever does come up it's a "I could totally write, I just don't" conversation, or "how the fuck do you get good at writing."

It always seems like people only talk about coding and art, and they are never specific about the art.

my friend did it and he got a job at blizzard

it just depends on you bro. you have to be active. working on many things and kicking doors down.
its not a job where you 'need' school. but school helps. if you can pay for it, go. its a positive choice.
dont compare game designer to other jobs that require schooling but is way more straightforward, like premed or someshit.

user! I've gone to a college for video game experimental major at one time. Dropped out within a year personally

DO NOT DO THAT, they just teaches you IT on a crutch, you should do your respective major if you want to develop game like:
>CS for programming
>Art/Graphic for designer and artist
>Music for sound design

Senior Game Designer here.

Really, anything goes, but CS is the safest bet. Chances are you're not going to start as a game designer, but as a programmer or QA, and after, transition to a design role. Unless you manage to do something on your own or form your own team (in which case those game dev courses are sorta useful).

Besides that, read lots of books on design, watch lots of GDC talks and always try to make games, video or not.

that makes sense. i'm still gonna go for a compsci degree though. if that doesn't work out then i've already been considering going into trade, just needed confirmation that it wouldn't be as hellish as i thought it would be. thanks

No. If you want to make a video game just start making it through unity or something or learn that shit on the side. To get noticed youll have a lot better time modding a game and getting recognition through that and you can even get paid while doing it through patreon for example.

You have to understand that actually going to college for video games is a terrible idea, even if you take all the right classes, youre still going into an extremely oversaturated market where you go through essentially a meat grinder making games you dont really care to make. Seriously just make something on your own and start today. It might take you 3-5 years but at least youll actually be making a game.

If you're not going to learn to seriously code, don't bother. For that matter, don't learn to seriously code if you're not intending to team up, build an engine and do the whole thing from the ground up.

If you want to make a game using an existing engine, set aside an hour or two tomorrow to start on tutorials. Repeat daily until you start making prototypes and eventually working towards your goal game.

It's going to be shit. Make another, rinse repeat until you make a mediocre game. Practice different shit, learn to model, learn to write, learn to compose music, make another.

And so on, until you retire, get bored and move on, or die.

What engine do you recommend for a beginner? Not OP.

the programming is usually the easy part too, i often think about making my own game but if it was going to be decent i'd have to pay a bunch of people for voices, music, sound effects, art (UI, characters, textures, backgrounds etc), modelling (if it was 3d), and while I think im an ok writer it would take too damn long so i'd just pay someone for that too and basically thats a lot of effort for something that might only sell 10 copies

Unity

Do not go to college for anything even remotely related to video games. Get a Comp Sci degree. Information Systems and Computer Forensics are really huge right now and they're both piss-easy programs to get through at most universities.

If you want to make video games, learn Python or C++ and make your own games to get your portfolio going. You don't even need to release anything, just display proficiency in basic data structures like stacks and queues, sorting algorithms, etc.

From what I've seen plumbing is super fucking easy, just physically demanding.

Really all you need to do is work on it in your spare time as a passion project instead of putting all of your eggs in the gamedev basket.

Honestly, I want to make an Indie Game myself, but I for the love of god don't know how to program vidya. I've programmed before in Notepad++ to make websites and other programs, but that's it. I could do Music, Ideas, and Pixel Art. Is getting a degree in Digital/Graphic Design a good idea?

I hear Unreal is the hotness. Any reason for one or the other?

if youre a beginner dont use an engine, he said "always make games, video or not" meaning text-based games which i agree are a great starting point for testing out ideas and getting good at programming without having to worry about all the other shit like graphics and sound

Game designer is the same exact type of work as nearly any other comp-sci career, except it pays less and has worse working conditions.

Priority should be artificial neurons to replace your real neurons with, so you can ship of theseus your way into digital immortality without losing "you" so you'll live long enough to see lizardmen BFs regardless of how many decades or centuries it takes.

Attached: 1554566625027.jpg (275x280, 77K)

windows forms

Go to College for anything overtly video game related, literally get scouted for game design Jobs your Junior year. Ignore anyone saying no. It's almost impossible to learn how to do that shit on your own unless you'd rather spend 8 years learning it than a quick 4 with pros in the field. My friend just made the latest WoW mount and doesn't even have a job, definitely gonna be easier now/if not working for blizzard. The only questionable one is art related Majors, you can actually just draw up a portfolio and apply it to any art related job, unlike game design which will require coding

Oh interesting. I never thought about it like that, thank you user

At that point, I can become a lizardman bf.

It is not worth going to college at all for game design.

HOWEVER, it is still a good idea to attend classes if you can for general education and to learn the basics of something that is useful to game development, either graphic art classes or coding.

Also you can use campus assets to start your own development group, I currently develop shitty flash games with 5 other guys I met playing M:TG in the student lounge.

Unity is a meme only because people get lazy with it. You can make good, different games in unity.

Fucking Escape from Tarkov, Citys:Skylines, Ori and the Blind Forest and goddamn Hearthstone are all made in the same engine.

I actually meant paper or tabletop games. The process behind those is pretty much the same as for video games, in a very broad and abstract sense (ie brainstorm, test, iterate).

No, you can get everything you need online for free. Nobody will be interested in your game because you went to college.

Attached: 1553457696858.gif (294x359, 1.95M)

College is not for getting a job, a degree is only for getting your foot in the door to a desk jockey job.

However college is a good place to meet people with similar goals, if you're going to college to get a degree and hope to go work at blizzard or valve, you're doing it fucking wrong, you should be going there to learn how to code and make your own shit, and meet other people who want to do the same.

>My friend just made the latest WoW mount and doesn't even have a job
Getting his work into a huge game like that is impressive and congrats to him, but that sounds like something that a 15 year old modding a game for the first time could do.

If it is an environment that motivates you to to learn and do the work you need it is worth it.

This is important. You should be able to write your game down on paper.

If it's not fun with flash cards and stick figures, the core game isn't going to improve by being pretty or fast.

More "video" video games aren't an exception: If you're designing a shooter, We should know how you're supposed to counterplay before the first pass of weapon balance ever gets put into a spreadsheet.

If you're good at math, college Calculus shouldn't be too difficult for you, hopefully.
I dropped out of CS along with a bunch of other guys on my hall a while back due to Calculus II back when I was a freshman.

>It's almost impossible to learn how to do that shit on your own unless you'd rather spend 8 years learning it
as an indiefag it only took me around 4 years to go from clueless to knowing how to model, code in lua/c++ and make vidya in unreal engine
It's very much possible if you are prepared to put in the time and effort and you aren't some ADHD fag who literally can't learn anything without somebody else needing to sit you down and explain it to you

ah, ok.. how about text based tabletop games then.. i have made a few text based card games, its a really good way to get started because its quick to get started, quick to test & debug, and then once you have everything working its easy to add a UI to it

Attached: Frigate.png (256x256, 46K)

No its not worth going to college.

Put some time aside in your day to go learn C++ and some proprietary game engine like Unreal or w/e with the billions of tutorials youtube fags make for free every day.

The biggest thing about getting into game development isn't what you know though, its who you know, having a network of people you can just ask questions on how to fix code or how to create a game asset is much more invaluable then raw know how

NO!
Don't go to college or university for either. Waste of time and money
You can learn everything you learn in 2 years there, in 2 weeks at your computer

Its all just busy work, writing reports and essays and doing group projects. Just busy work.
Learn at home

I envy everyone who has enough motivation and patience to teach themselves things that are complex enough to have conflicting and scattered sources of information on them.

Attached: yeeaaaah nah.gif (245x184, 1.32M)

Just get a mcjob whilst you learn at home
or ask your parents for a year off

as someone who taught myself programming and got 2 programming jobs entirely self taught and THEN went to uni to get a degree in CS i can confidently say youre wrong

Attached: 1396251173428.jpg (750x750, 286K)

Go to college and get a cs or computer engineering degree and make games as a hobby. The game industry is a fucking horrible place to work

>going to college for game design OR computer science
lmao
bloated field have fun

sounds like bullshit
why would you know programming, have a programming job, and then go to university to learn programming?
what did you get out of it

>just gonna spend 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars getting a piece of paper that says i know how to do something i already knew how to do before
you are a fucking idiot

Attached: 31563223672.jpg (379x250, 15K)

This.i work at a state park and am about to go to school for computer science.
Pretty nervous because I dropped out last time I went to college.
Thankfully because I dropped out my parents still have some money left to pay for some of my classes

Is Gamemaker any good?

as learning material to teach you the basics, yes
to make a serious commercial game in, no
learn godot

How hard is programming?

Absolutely. If you don't enjoy it when you get there though, switch majors or drop out. It's not worth being tens of thousands of dollars in debt if you're not going to enjoy it. Don't listen to "lol just learn on your own", you learn from people around you, not from people on the Internet.

Its the easiest to learn with but its not good for making a full fledged game to sell.

Its great to fuck around with, but you should learn how to make your own engine from scratch on the side with C++, which will take much much longer but will give you a lot more potential to work with then learning a GML

"game design" in college is just a whole lot of beating around the bush
don't fall for it

I'm 3 months into learning C# on my own and I don't see how college would help. Especially since you have to focus on a bunch of other classes as well. Or am I wrong?

Its not hard, just time consuming.

No, you should get a regular computer science degree and not limit yourself.

no, just pick a real engine with a real language

>learn godot
why give such awful advice
Unity and EU4 have a much larger community meaning more forum help, plugins, youtube videos etc
and the engines are more complete

Do you even know why you are recommending godot you engine hipster?

when you teach yourself programming you only ever learn what you have to to get the job done, if you need an api you learn the libraries, learn rest, learn what type of documentation people expect etc

when you get taught, you learn everything and the reason that is useful is basically efficiency, if you are given a problem you know all possible solutions so you can pick the best one, if you are searching around on google you'll just use the one that has the most blog posts and the best looking website

you can only get so far relying on libraries and stackoverflow, its easy to think you can do anything once you know how to write some code but you'll likely struggle on larger projects especially with maintainability

it was a fun break from work and when i was done i instantly doubled my pay so decent investment really

depends on the language, and it's just a lot of memorization that gets easier the longer you spend working with it

this

you are right
college/university actually stop you from learning, by giving you lots of stupid time wasting tasks

It's pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. Start out with Scheme/Lisp and in a few years you can move on to C

Depends what you're doing. I can only speak for the art side of game development.

Art college for 3D is entirely dependent on the quality of the teachers you're getting. But you'll make lifelong friends and get free licenses to programs. You could say "oh, I'll just work on it from home and not spend a penny!" but the reality is you absolutely won't do that unless you're in an environment that promotes it. Getting a job just because you graduated a college will never happen. Your portfolio is all that matters, and if you stop working on it you're fucked.

When I graduated I couldn't find a job at all in my area because it's insanely hard to break into the industry the old fashion way. Doesn't help that I love stylized art and focused on it instead of perfect realism. After 8 months of being unemployed after school I landed a contract working on a mobile game. I work from home now and it's hard to balance work with jacking off.

It's not for everyone but I can say I truly love my work and I hope I have a successful career making games people love to play.

but it isnt, youve gotta know people and present your work to the industry, nobody would know this kid exists

bloat

The diploma instantly makes you more attractive to employers if you're trying to get a job.

so you couldn't teach yourself properly and needed something to force you
if you can teach yourself properly you dont need uni

>insert being bad at math

you basically have no chance learning on your own

A few years???

No. The answer is absolutely no. You aren't going to get your kojima rockstar status. You aren't going to win against marketing departments. You will be an organic coding machine that will work all day and night meanwhile everyone on this board will shit on anything you will ever be a part of. Just don't do it user. Don't, no, stop, cease, desist, change where you are heading, anything but, nahfam, this ain't it chief, negative captain

Attached: 1555187182004.png (374x228, 139K)

A bit silly to go to game design school when you have all your resources on the internet now.

This is pretty much it. Imagine you're the guy in charge of looking for people and putting them on payroll. You get a resume that says "dude lol just trust me" and one that says "this guy graduated, here's proof," you know nothing more about either person, who do you hire

>it's hard to balance work with jacking off.
based

>engine hipster
>he recommends unity
lol'd, fuck off kid

godot:
>extremely lightweight, takes seconds to boot up and compiled games are tiny
>cross platform
>solid physics
>GDscript is piss easy
>nice interface
>making good 2d games in general is piss easy
>3d support is kind of shit at the moment but next update is set to expand it massively

if you are making mobile/smaller scale games then godot is the way to go and also a good place to get started
once you git gud and your ideas become more ambitious you should move on and learn UE4
don't even use unity, its coded by monkeys and they like to pull the rug out from under everybody by randomly banning third party plugins

Attached: grillin.png (517x517, 174K)

Would you say Godot is the way to go-dot?

Attached: 1555189571753.png (406x468, 257K)

to teach yourself 'properly' you'd basically just be reading text books on software design, network engineering, maths&stats, algorithms and data structures and writing your own programs to figure out how to implement this stuff and practice

im not autistic enough to do that no

No. You should learn how to make games on your spare time OP. Learn a different trade to get good dollarydoos. Interesting/innovative games are hard to come by and the chance on you getting big money by making a normalfag game is 47%.. And even then that's not enough to last half a lifetime.

That's is if you're being serious (Judging from that pic you posted).

Attached: 1555365847188.jpg (234x221, 22K)

Attached: americlaps.gif (360x203, 1.63M)

Degrees have lost their appeal in recent years, they're the bare minimum people look for in a potential hire these days unless its in R&D positions.

You're better off being a wage cuck with good references and developed portfolio for 4 years then you are just getting a degree, that being said, college references are significantly more useful in finding jobs as most professors have connections, so if you're going to go to university or college, and you're just sitting around wasting your time doing tests and papers and not actually engaging with the material and your peers, you're just waiting your time and that degree will just get you an assistant management position at a wagecuck job that you'll be stuck with forever.

What did you do then, drop out entirely of college or switch to an easier major? I want to go back to school and get a computer science degree but hearing all these people drop out because of the math and calculus being hard makes me worried as I've only really done algebra and my math skills are probably average.

Game designer here. I can tell you that if you get in contact with the right people, you won't need to go to school for it. I landed a gig with an up and coming indie developer that's promoting a Metroid-vania-esque game, and the boss himself is actually providing alot of the software/hardware we need to learn how to create pixel/3D art. You just gotta keep going and build the right connections, user. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even have a degree.

I meant the actual work itself. Using an existing framework for your own model/animations and then adding it to the item table is something I did when I was dicking around with a prototype wow v1.8 private server on my own computer over 10 years ago. It's not a very good follow-up to a statement about something being "impossible to learn how to do on your own"

Go

Im 28 stuck in retail and developed a severe anxiety disorder and depression

How did that work? Did you just emailed the company out of the blue? Or did you already know someone in it?

I develop games for one of the top 5 indie studios, and I have zero college education or formal training. I literally just make games in Game Maker and post on twitter.
I got my job because I posted appealing gifs on twitter.

IMO college is absolutely a scam, but if you DO get a degree I wouldn't expect it to be worth shit outside of a codeslave job working with 600 other people.

If you genuinely want a career that matters out of this I think you're better off busting your ass to learn dev right now and make as many games as you can. They don't have to be complete, just enough to show what you're capable of.

Attached: 1520366438753.gif (120x97, 65K)

Follow ur dreams user I beleeve in u

A friend of mine got in contact with me about it. She knew a school friend of hers who was looking for pixel artists to help do work for their game, and naturally, she had me get in contact with the boss about it. I took the position, and have been working with them since last July.

this but with some light hobbyist game dev mostly just to fill the hole but maybe releasing something one day

Learn how to code in computer science.
for the love of god, get a internship during college.
after you get a job that actually pays your bills, start actually making your game in whatever spare time you got.

im guessing your studio has at least one decent programmer that fixes all your shit for you
i have seen game maker games by people like you and they are a nightmare of spaghetti code, you fix one thing and the game breaks in 2 more places

Lucky. Currently trying to find a job but everything is either oversees or just the fact that I don't have connections anywhere.
14 year old me fucked me when he decided he could take on the world by himself.

reminds me of the Downwell guy in a way

>did opera of all fucking things in college
>decides to go hard in gamemaker studio one day
>releases Downwell within 7 months
>gets hired by Nintendo ~2 years later just from that

No computer at the moment. Anyway to learn from a tablet?

If you're prodigial, or have a lower bar for employment expectations (like indie or something) then no. Otherwise, yes. Go somewhere good though. Don't go to an "ARTS" school.

how much do you need to know about art to make models "good enough" for a videogame? because I've felt tempted to make something, but I cannot do art for shit; the best thing I can draw without fucking it up is a cube.

Teach yourself how to code.
Pirate all the books and practice coding small functions/programs until you can make a demo for a game.
You will be saving 4 years of your life and thousands of dollars (if you live in the US. You need to have off shore banks or some way to hide your income if you live in a country with Universal College)
You can now either make indie games or show what ever development company you want to work at since you actually made a game, while most of those people with some bullshit game developer degree will just have a piece of paper that millions of other people have.
You do the math.

Lots of presumptions, user.
I will agree that GM teaches lots of bad habits however.

IIRC he was mentored by the guys from Vlambeer as well, he had a real good foot in the door. He's a cool dude too

So long as you keep trying, and going out of your way to find what you're looking for, you'll get there. I believe in you, user!

Attached: tumblr_o5f55loLcV1s9jnzyo1_540.gif (540x304, 821K)

what if I don't live in the US and college is free?

just watch videos

if you haven't begun your coding journey since you were 16 and made a demo of a game when you were 18 and didn't get a math Ph.D in college with 4.0+GPA, it's arealdy too late.

What books should I start with?

If you're not connecting to employers through college you're doing it wrong. Many of my professors worked at big studios in the same city. Some concurrently.

Sounds like you have poor planning and oversight.

Does a Design degree get you anywhere with game development?

This is going to be my year!

Attached: 5672d81475b1f4c53bf2ac4ffcb292a1e14612ba.png (600x350, 208K)

>vlambeer
this is one of the devs i was talking about when i was saying spaghetti code, im guessing jd shat most of that out and he got the other dude in to save him from it

i really wanted to write nt mods but after 2 hours of figuring out wtf was going and adding a dialog system i decided it would be easier to just re-write the whole thing and gave up

The maths in game programming is extremely low level, highschool tier stuff. You can do it

No just learn to expand your programming skills by getting a computer science degree and learn python or Java and go from there, on the side you can still make your Indie game and learn to start making small games with Unity.

>have a piece of paper that millions of other people have.
Like a high school degree? The degree has value user, even if you're amazing without it. Bachelor's degree minimums for employment are an excellent way to filter a tremendous amount of trash. You need talent and work ethic beside it but you are absolutely not on the same level without it. Holding an undergrad sets a much higher minimum expectation threshold than not having one. If you choose to forego the degree you must be able to convey that you are exceptional even without it.

Went to community college, did more coding courses but then switched to IT after realizing I could get my associates in IT pretty easily.
I'm finishing up my Bachelors right now - almost done. I'm in no rush to wageslave, but its gotta be done, eventually.

Depends on the school.

TL;DR
Game Development is a scam.
you're either born good about it or not.

Attached: 0001285979_10.jpg (500x386, 68K)

I peaked at the Wasteland Kings code before and I think it's pretty messy and strangely organized. From my understanding jwaaaap is just really good at shitting out prototypes really fast but has almost no experience with largescale projects beside NT and arguably Gun Godz. I'm not sure what Rami does in all honesty, I assume he's just a hype man + marketer

I think the Spelunky source is somewhere and I recall it being a decent amount cleaner.

I've never messed with the NT modding framework or whatever the shit is with the Nuclear Throne Together stuff but I imagine it might be easier to just build on top of the Wasteland Kings source and call it good enough

There is no 'born good' about it in this thread.

Everyone says to not bother and just go learn how to code via online tutorials, you're better off getting a fucking coding for dummy's book from amazon then investing so much time and money into college for game development.

Calculus really isn't as hard as some people make it out to be. There are tons of resources online for every topic, just watch the khan academy videos as you go through the class and you'll be fine. You only have to take up to Calculus 2 and get D's or better which is really easy. The only people that say they dropped out because calc was too hard were the people that never went to lecture, never did homework, and then complained they had no idea what was going on.

I was joking but I actually have a java for dummies book lying around here at home but never bothered, though I always wanted to make a game in my life. Should I bother reading it now?

Stick with CS and make your little indie project in your free time. The industry sucks.

>the people that never went to lecture, never did homework
I don't understand these people. The low score on every single fucking assignment in every single class is a 0, because some motherfucker is enrolled and just never shows.

college is barely worth going to these days unless you absolutely know what you want to do with your life. it was a meme told to boomers who thought that all you'd need to do is go in the office with your degree and give the boss a 'firm handshake'.

if you don't think you have all the tools for game development in front of you, then you definitely don't have it in you to go through the ringer.

modelling itself is a very different skillset from conventional art
if you are decent at drawing/painting etc it will help because you can bash out your ideas as concept art to see if they will actually look good before you start any modelling
personally I'm absolute rubbish at drawing so i tend to just do extremely rough mockups in 3ds using the spline tool then start modelling it
pic related a gun i made

Attached: breachtool.png (726x303, 75K)

You will still be saving yourself 4 years of your life that you would spend otherwise on useless classes.
Also try to evade paying taxes in both scenarios.

Go for it if you want to. Personally i'd rather keep my work and hobby seperate. Especially since the video game industry is infested with insufferable leftwing nuts who want to destroy anything decent in the industry. But again, if you want to be the change you should definitely go for it, user, I'm rooting for you.

oh i didnt realise it was a mojam game, no wonder its like that
just sucks the 'mod build' of the game is really old, if he just released the source for the final version i'd probably get motivated enough to rewrite it, me and a friend were getting interested in making a story mode and to be fair it didnt take long to get a dialog system in which triggered on various events and paused enemies etc but to do something simple like hook into a 'portal open' event you'd have to change 5 different pieces of the program, insane

Attached: terrible.jpg (649x482, 29K)

is that the UT assault map? i miss that game mode

I'm trying to learn godot, when I run the program however nothing shows up, what do I have to do to make it show up to see if it moves like it is supposed to.

Attached: Screenshot (142).png (1920x1080, 212K)

As in depends on the quality of the school, where it is, what their focus is? Elaborate

Fuck off, kid. I'm not elaborating shit.

>Should I just stick with computer science?
From experience, user, yes. I was at the same position as you are. I had looked at dozens of "game design schools." On the eve of decision deadlines, I decided that I didn't want to become a meme, and I picked a backup CS degree school. Absolutely no regrets now-- it's really unfathomable to me that I even considered "game design" before.

Attached: ANIME TIDDIE EXPERT.png (447x665, 452K)

Question for you guys, I've got a degree in English and I'm writing a book, is it even worth going back for a Master's in my field or should I just go full workforce with writing on the side? Both my parents are constantly on my ass about going to grad school but I hate school shit and I don't like that "DUDE YOU JUST NEED A BETTER DEGREE TRUST ME" shit, it feels like none of this matters

Attached: 1528067369308.jpg (540x514, 107K)

yeah, was wondering if anyone would recognise it
same, it was a pretty iconic game mode, the new one they added with vehicles isn't the same

You could've just said you don't actually know shit, or not replied.

rate my weapon design skills

Attached: Weapons with desc.png (1000x800, 81K)

>Putting yourself several hundred thousand dollars in debt
>Doing so to learn a skill that you can learn by yourself for practically free if you put in the effort
ISHYGDDT

Attached: IMG_20190224_022218.jpg (634x350, 9K)

Got any advice for someone on his second year of Comp Sci? I'm already getting bogged down on Data Structures stuff like algorithms and hashes

Sup Nate Bestman

Most creative fields prefer a portofolio over a degree. Also you might've fucked yourself with that degree. The sad truth is that most people see writing as cheap since they'll say "well, i can write sentence good, why hire you?"

Based, when can I see you working on Bloodborne 2

Falseflagger. Do you have any computer science qualifications or game engine experience?

I think in a lot of cases modding can be more effort than it's worth, and at a glance it seems like modding NT would take just as much learning (or even more) than just making your own game lol

I don't recommend Godot for beginners because the docs are abrasive for newbies and the community barely exists.
That said, your code has errors and ultimately wouldn't do anything anyway.
You should look at some of the example projects to get a better feel for how all the code works before jumping into you're own thing if you're stubborn about using it though.

Truth there, guess I need to expand a little bit and start writing more shit

My parents helped me through college so I'm not in crippling debt at least

How does this relate to my original question at all?

thanks, hopefully I will learn how to code and put these weapons in a game I make.

I've personally written a lot, had hopes of becoming a published author. Couldn't find any job related to writing.

I was just copying the code from a demo project so that makes sense, what would you recommend for beginners? I tried gamemaker but it crashed too much and I didn't want to have to deal with the whole account and trial mode when I could just be making progress somewhere else.

Don't get an MS in English unless you want to go the teaching route. Get an MS in a direction you want to go.

Havent read the thread but youre better off getting a maths degree. Thats what studios want.

Does the design degree give you cs or game engine experience. I had mistakenly assumed you already had it.

I'm sorry user, but your claw sword is just an inferior version of an arm blade.

Attached: 542543.jpg (850x321, 22K)

Honestly, Game Maker. The docs are by far the best I've encountered and most of the functions you find in the docs come with snippets of code that show exactly how it works so there's very little frustration. There's also like a 20 year old community with lots of help and examples for just about anything you could ever need or want.
Construct can be alright too if code is scary for you, but if you're brave you can tackle Unity instead. Unity's community/examples/etc are comparable to GM but I'd argue less easy in general.
If you're having a rough time I think /agdg/ could help you out if you bother them enough, but the docs are great and most things can be googled.

if you go for a math degree and you're not a complete fucking souless husk of a person you will hate your job with a passion no matter what you do but you will land easy jobs for real and make $$$

There are different focuses offered, but they all include basic programming, and some include user interface design. There is nothing directly game engine related as far as I can tell.

but it's sword and thus longer while arm blade is a dagger meant for close assassinations

Don't go to college at all unless it's the only place you can actually gather the experience/training for your field of choice. Experience is far more valuable nowadays with so many "online schools" offering bullshit, but still legally qualified degrees. Most places toss them out or use them as a baseline, then want experience. Why pay an exorbitant amount of money on a school just to be told "okay but have you already worked this job?"

For game design in particular, pick a fucking program like game maker or some shit, and get started. Make games, they'll be shit, but keep making them until they're less shit. When you're done with the incredibly basic game maker and GML, move on to something else. You can start right on like UE4 if you want, or C++ but it's just going to hurt you as you have more to learn all at once. GML is v ery forgiving and easy to figure out, and will teach you more about the actual game design part of game design, as opposed to having to figure out coding to the degree you will if you use another language or a more advanced engine.

Since everyone is talking about college in general, I'm in college right now and getting my basic art associates degree. I live in a state where the entertainment industry is booming, and I intend to learn as much as I can in animation on my own and through school where I can gain connections and experience from possible internships others who've been involved with the process on a professional level. How viable do you think it'd be career wise, provided I'm also trying to learn 3D modelling/animation, storyboarding, and how to create movies and animations that'd rival older hand drawn stuff? I'm sure the applications are pretty numerous. I'm only in school because I was bound to go slowly or practically nowhere without it, based on my circumstances.

Attached: 1555280589465.jpg (1175x1200, 129K)

It doesn't have to be a dagger, you can put any blade you want in there. Not to mention it would be easier to swing a long blade if it was strapped to you arm than if you were clutching the end of it like yours.

Disregard all advice in this thread telling you that you should or shouldn't do this. They don't know enough about you to give a good response, and because it's anonymous, well-meaning idiots are likely to respond with misleading info.
Look up studios you would want to work at. Look at the qualifications their employees have on linkedin, or look for their contact information elsewhere. If they're hiring, look at the qualifications they expect. Ask them short and simple questions about the process. Like what they had to do to get there, what they think of schools. Try not to relate the questions to yourself too much because they won't really know what to say about a stranger. Some companies care more about portfolios, some care more about school certificates proving your qualifications. Ask around.

Attached: 1526978005962.jpg (640x457, 84K)

College doesn't teach you anything that you can't teach yourself. The only point of college is to get a piece of paper that says you know a thing so people can reliably hire you (lol).
But, since the only worthy type of game development is indie development (equally soul sucking as working for a studio, except you get to be your own boss) it means jack shit to have a college degree.
Teach yourself.

For the arts, having a strong portfolio is the most important thing for finding work. You should already be working on making cool things that show off your skills so you can show employers what you're capable of.

that's true I guess, although a full sword strapped to your arm would probably hit your elbow, in my next designs I might try and do more wrist mounted/strapped to your arm weapons.

>Should I just stick with computer science?
Yes, for two reasons. First, you'll be in a better position than someone who has a game design degree, as you'll actually know how to program well.

Second, if you come to the conclusion that game dev is too soul crushing, you'll have a TON of other options.

That said, are you certain you're okay with programming? I know people sometimes tend to go into CS for games and then absolutely hate programming. That said, I went into CS because of games and enjoy programming.

Yeah but my real passion is writing plays
Thanks for the advice though. I just want to look for a tech job that plays to my strengths.

As I thought, but the amount of work and personal stuff I have to do has me wasting time on absolutely worthless art projects in class that eat up my time, resources, and will to finish my own personal work. Not all of it has been bad, but it certainly isn't something I'd ever put in a portfolio for my own interests.

I was serious. I've just learned that posting a cancerous image is the best way to get people to read your spoiler text and I'm not sure if college threads are allowed.

The patricians choice:
Study CS, pirate Maya, Houdini, and Zbrush.
Use your knowledge of code to learn vfx programming and procedural modeling.
Use your superior employability to mog all the fags that went to art school and secure the highest paying positions.

Don't let it stress you out too much, just make sure you do your research on the professor. I did terrible in math in high school but once I got into college I had great teachers who, along with me working hard, helped me keep in the A/B range.

Gosh i wish i was as hard working as alot of you itt. im super lazy and it kills me because i wanna make video games and such but im doing nothing right now to help me in that regard.

nothing but envy

Attached: 1541093865031.jpg (726x669, 40K)

s it even worth going to college to be a game designer?
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA maybe. It has to be a really popular college with good connections. I went to art school and got a job right after graduation because of connections from the school. Remember that college is just a tool for you to learn more and grow connections, its not a guarantee that you'll get a job, so you your college time wisely.

Attached: 1553125920746.png (400x345, 92K)

is there anyway to be completely under a pseudoname in the video game industry? I don't want to ever have my personal life out there. I know Icefrog seems to have done this but I don't know if he's some weird exception

Most indie folks I've worked with and around don't really care how you're credited. It's hard to believe a larger studio would fight you if you wished to remain under a pseudonym or uncredited altogether.
Personally I've never used my real name in any games I've been involved with, but I guess if someone really wanted to know it they could find it.

This might be an incorrect thread to post this in but
>be 24
>have experience in a few wage slave jobs and did electrician work as an apprentice for 2 years but quit due to wanting to do other things
>did another wagecuck job, quit back in Sept, haven't told anyone, been living NEET with my mom
Is it worth going to college at this point? I don't want to waste anymore time, but I know I will be in debt for years and might even enjoy what I do in the end.
One of my dreams is travelling the world, and I would like to do that when I'm still young, but obviously I'm broke. Thought about going back to electrician work, but I dunno.

Attached: 1424662530599.png (309x305, 188K)

>wow look at me im so cool, making fun of depressed people! Le ebic trolled hik xddd

Attached: 1536349162000.png (550x546, 155K)

Graduating CompSci in a few weeks, this is true.

Congratulations, user.

Find the Arabs and learn to cheat

>Waaaah! My life is shit and I absolutely refuse to do anything about it! Oh woe with me! Please give me attention as pathetically wallow in my own saddens and sorrow like pig, give me useless encouragement that will go in one in ear and out the other as I pretend to contemplate suicide I'd never have the balls to actually go through with! boo hoo hoo feel bad for me :(

Same. Although I'm going back one more year to get an MS in CS.

Have fun in the real world user.

Attached: file.png (910x480, 227K)

CS Senior (and brainlet) here, honestly study more and study efficiently. No undergrad CS material is legitimately super difficult or complicated, it's not like you're doing PhD-level math. There's a shitton of resources and tutorials online, if one of them doesn't make sense move onto the next one. Assuming you're not a retard, you get exposed to the most common data structures and algorithms that a lot of them become second-hand at a certain point.

You should aim to improve your general problem-solving skills though, mainly with solving interview-tier algorithm questions since that's legitimately a good skill to have. Actually sit your ass down and grind out practice problems, that's the only effective way to get better.

It depends. Do you enjoy coding? If your dream is to just make video games because you like them, then don't. You have to actually have passion for the process that involves making them, otherwise you'll be dead inside.

I need it to work outside of Canada and get working permit.

>get your portfolio going
Definitely the best advice for any wannabe game dev or programmer.
You can be top of your class in CS, but if you don't put in the work outside of school, you're boned.

People don't get into the VG industry by taking a comp/sci or """"video game"""" degree. You get into the VG industry by making video games. Comp sci will get you a job as a Software Engineer, Developer, or Analyst, at a company who works for some industry.

Lmao debugging is apart of life my man

t. EE & game designer hobbyist

>waste years of potential development time learning shit you could learn yourself in a fraction of the time
>get hired by a soulless corporation, being paid barely more than an unskilled worker
>do mindless crunch for a game you give literally zero shits about
>get fired as soon as the game is finished
Do it.

>take 3+ years of Comp Sci in high school
>didn't get into the Comp Sci major as a freshman and moved to undeclared
>currently at the end of my second year and still have not taken ONE Comp Sci class because the waitlist for the pre-req classes for the pre-CS major are always super packed
>currently declaring Math as an alternative major but don't have any affinity for it. Only reason why I'm considering just sticking with math is because I have taken the most classes related to it and the vain hopes that I could potentially make a career out of it relating to comp sci
It's too late for me, isn't it bros? I don't even know what kind of careers I could pursue as a math major because I got so hung up trying to get into the CS for so long that I never really considered any alternatives.

Attached: 1277870540854.jpg (612x399, 33K)

fucking this
also you will be working anywhere from 50~80 fucking hours a week while getting a salary that is half of a semi-competent software developer
working for AAA companies is fucking hell

dont go to college period

game design degree here i fell for the meme because, i wasnt sure what to do with my life. I ended up trying to make a portfolio of 3d sculpting in zbrush, didnt get any offers, i also hated it by the end of 2 years after college.
go on a free lance site, have no programming degree but media arts game meme design degree.
happy ending i get hired by vr app dev and now make tons, i wonder if i got lucky
I think the college classes i took tho were lotsa fun and learned alot but the biggest reason i didnt like college was because the school was so tiny and everyone there was autistic and i made no friends =(

Define tons, are you making six figures? What do you do?

At that point, user will just turn himself into Lizard Denton, in da fresh being optional

That really sucks dude. I'd honestly consider transferring to a different school at that point, one that you can instantly get into the CS program at.

>Remember that college is just a tool for you to learn more and grow connections, its not a guarantee that you'll get a job, so you your college time wisely

Bruh you ain't kidding, wish someone told me that during my college days. I got lucky and ran with a good crew of folks that helped buld my connections after I graduated, otherwise I'd still be at a shitty dead end job

CompSci is a meme, get out while you can.

>Start college as a physics major
>Too much of a brainlet for physics 1, need to switch majors
>Thinking of computer animation so I can make some cool 3d models for video games

Is it worth it or should I just switch to some brainlet science like biology?

all depends on what you aim to do user, as bullshit as it sounds what you choose as your major and where you live/plan to live make a fuckhuge difference

Why go to school for psychology when the best job market for it is 3 states away with a cost of living well above what you can afford?

t. Comp Engineer grad at 28 and just got my first real highish paying job in my field

>light on work

the fuck school you going to brah? I'll give you its lighter than shit like pre-med but is sure as fuck requires some hours

College won't solve your problems. You need to get back to working, this patchy employment history won't look good.

Anons who went to college or have a career, how did you figure out what you wanted to major in/what kinda of career you were interested in? Everyone always says just do whatever you're passionate about, but I haven't been able to decide on anything yet.

Just make games, start now. Start with basic games like "find the number" or pong. See if you like it.

College for video game design is a bad idea. Find a job you want in the game industry first, and then go to college for that skill

Attached: 1549401926525.png (500x622, 323K)

Going to college itself is a meme. Unless you have an Ivy League school degree, you're just another simp with a degree. Experience is far more useful.

If you wanna be a random anme in tye credits and have shit pay then yes. If you want a director credit then you might as well go indie.

Stick with computer science, MAYBE get a game design minor if you want. Just know that by the time you complete that game design minor, less than half of it will be of any use to you in the field. I would highly recommend joining a game creation club if there is one in your college instead.

>aren't some ADHD fag who literally can't learn anything without somebody else needing to sit you down and explain it to you
>tfw this is me
>only have ideas for rpgs anyway so even if i say down and learned everything necessary, i wouldn't actually have anything meaningful to make
I fucking hate this.

Attached: 1501372221855.png (526x544, 12K)

it would be nice if everyone majored in something they were passionate about, but that's not realistic
it doesn't have to be the greatest thing in the world, just pick something you know you're interested in
everyone has this sunk-cost fallacy about having to stay only in jobs that are related to your major, but it's not so crazy to go into another field, especially after a few years actually working a job. The job market really fucking opens up the moment you have a legitimate position on your resume, it's only that short time after college where you have nothing else on it that really matters

im a bit of a predicament
i really wanna go into comp sci and understand enough basic programming to where i can (usually) understand chunks of code and shit but im a bit on the brainlet side when it comes to math
my friend (whos currently majoring in comp sci) tells me that as long as you know basic algebra and a few higher level equations and shit ill be fine but im still scared

based

Unless whatever specialized thing you're working on calls for it, you don't need any advanced math for general programming. The vast majority of CS curriculums don't ask for anything beyond some basic linear algebra and discrete math courses (with some some Calc pre-req).

What you do need to be a (good) computer scientist are the problem solving skills that come from math. That's the shit that's actually transfers over, your ability in that regard is what separates the code monkey pajeets from actual good programmers.

Really don't be afraid of Math, it's not as scary as you think. Gain a firm understanding of the Math skills you think you might be lacking by actually studying up and applying yourself. Go on kahn academy, open up text books, etc. and actually solve practice problems. Solving a bunch of problems is really the only way to learn.

/sci/ has a good wiki you should check out.

>going to college
what a meme

>drop out rate for people who declare a CS major during their freshman year at my college is about 90%
>mfw one of the few known survivors, finishing up my junior year as a CS student
Can't tell if I'm actually good at this shit, or if I'm too stubborn to realize it's not for me. It's too late now, but I believe I'm in good hands.

Attached: sweating penguin.gif (200x200, 6K)

I find that statistic really surprising. To me, it seems like the market is saturated.

drop out rates for all STEM is stupid high, which surprises me. it makes me feel oddly accomplished for getting through all the math with a 3.6 even though im pretty dull

First/second year CS dropouts are brainlets who couldn't get a handle on the basic math/programming in introductory CS courses, it's as simple as that. They usually become business majors.

I'd say no, just watch some indian kid's youtube tutorials and you can figure shit out for yourself. I'd say start with something light like construct or gamemaker to get down the basics of what makes a decent game and move from there. Game desiingnuu isn't inherent knowledge at all, so the only way to learn imo is to get your dick in the dirt right away and start fucking up

Attached: dumpor.webm (448x252, 2.1M)

>is it even worth it to go to college

No.

>Is it even worth going to college to be a game designer?
No. That's like going to college to make a band.

"game designer" isn't a job
you need to learn something practical like programming or art

is psychology a practical major