Protagonist Swaps

What are some more games that do this?

Any instance of the main character being replaced or dying is accepted.

Attached: 1181282-untitled_1.png (300x450, 213K)

mgs2

danganronpa v3

Danganronpa V3
Nier Automata

NieR: Automata

Metal Gear Solid 2 was infmaous for this because Raiden was such shit compared to Snake.

Assasin's Creed 3

Dream Drop Distance (would this count?)

Live a Live

Roxas was never meant to be the protag, though. He was just there to get you familiar with Nobodies at the beginning of the game.

Nier Automata

One of the most iconic gaming moments of all time, it's funny since Raiden was far better than Snake in every concievable way

Attached: Raiden Reveal.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

Games like Dragon Quest V and Phantasy Star III where you have a child and then take over playing as them count, yeah?

Both Red Dead Redemption games.

>The entire point of Raiden is to hold a mirror up to millennials who idolize Snake despite never knowing the horrors of real combat and how there are no real winners in a war.
>18 years later
>"Durrr why did I have to play as this pussy I want Snake"

Nier Automata within itself having swaps between player character and protag and the Drakengard/Nier series as a whole as none of the games has the same Player character.

>it's another retarded "RAIDEN IS LITERALLY YOU" 'theory'

>it's funny since Raiden was far better than Snake in every concievable way
and yet showed NONE of it in MGS2. It took until fucking MGS4/MGR to get the masses of MGS fans to actually like him

Devil May Cry 4.
Didn't really go too well as while opinions about Nero were mixed there was a lot of people who basically demanded he be deleted from existence so we could only get Dante.

Megaman X, via the fact that Zero hijacked the plot after a certain point.
X was still playable but Zero was basically the star of the show.

He was a bait and switch so I wanted to include him. Didn't want to spoil a genuine one in the OP.

Yeah, I'd include RDR as well.

Then literally in X7 where you have to play as Axl

Kojima pulled this shit TWICE. BRAVO KOJIMA. Thanks for spoiling it on the box.

Attached: ejgewx1cwecx.jpg (1521x1770, 290K)

Symphony of the Night
Xenoblade
FF12

>Devil May Cry 4.
>Didn't really go too well as while opinions about Nero were mixed

it's funny how it went from "mixed" to "loved" after DmC came out.

to be fair, you were the medic the whole time in MGS5

And now he's the most popular character overall. Funny how that works.

Seriously, why the fuck didn't Nomura let us play as him for a few hours? We got to play as Riku (way too little, mind you) and fucking Aqua again.
KH3 should have pulled a DMC (or even a fucking KH3D) with multiple playable characters with differing movesets.

Raiden was a good character in MGS2

>to be fair, you were the medic the whole time in MGS5

No you're large leader in Ground Zeroes.

Halo 2, Halo: ODST, Halo 5

you wish

In almost every level of the game your character fucks until he dies and then you continue on as your kid.

Attached: Cubivore.jpg (640x908, 87K)

Not only this, but they had a red herring to distract us from the real protagonist.

Attached: d30ce197_thumb.jpg (404x412, 46K)

Genealogy of the Holy War

Does this count?

Attached: 77A89427-7E4E-4CA4-A2AC-028E3A685DD9.png (1000x1308, 1.32M)

Well Inafune moved onto the Zero series by then so the driving force of the Zero obsession was gone.
X6 was still Zero centric because they had to shoe horn another revival.
X7 was the time for the next OC to shine.
I always liked Nero but I got in with 4.
From what I've read of the situation part of it was the standard resistance to old favourite possibly getting replaced which faded with time and realizing how good they had it when Dante was actually replaced by Donte.
From what I've heard people found Nero okay, but vastly preferred Dante.
Complaints about being a mini-Dante always felt hollow because he was literally the son of his twin brother and they made that pretty obvious.
There are still people who just want Nero completely erased and for the games to be Dante only, just less these days.

It was kind of a post game expansion after everyone already knew there wouldn't be a way to have "Minato" be the PC.
I'd say she was the protag of a sidestory/epilogue more than a fully protag hijacking.

All that symbolism is gone now cause Raider is a cool cyborg

MGS fans are stupid pieces of shit, most gamers are so retarded that they cannot tolerate realistically & flawed male characters. So anyone that's not a generic Gary stu will be hated. Snake was a horrible character in every MGS game until 4 when they made him a flawed character

well Kibo was pretty important to the story, and you use him for a few scenes on the final chapter

Attached: p2duology.png (1908x1640, 3.51M)

Raiden was a well written character in the sense that we was a fully raised idiot who believes his digital training would prepare him for real war. Sure it did physically, he was a good stealth agent. But he also followed what everyone said blindly, and was clearly clueless

However, Raiden was also a massive whinny faggot compared to all other MG protags, and all other stealth protags, making him awful

Snake was flawed, Big Boss was flawed.

Raiden was just shit