Why didn't Sega fund it themselves?

Why didn't Sega fund it themselves?

Attached: H2x1_NSwitch_Bayonetta2.jpg (2000x1000, 928K)

Sega was in a rut for video games at the time.
Nothing was selling. Sonic was a bust. They didn't know that all they had to do was localize Yakuza and make Pc games.

Lack of faith
Which caused Nintendo to profit

None of the Platinum WiiU games sold well though

Randy Pitchford siphoned all their money away for Memelands 2

Nintendo said they were fine with the sales on Bayonetta 2 about a month after it released. Granted that was like 500,000 copies at best

Nintendo games are done with lunch money budget, even fucking zelda needed like 2m to break despite the whole development hell.

Also Bayo sold more after she got announced in smash.

bayo 1 didnt sell well. its crazy because it was originally 360 exclusive so it could have done even worse

Sega owns the IP?

Randy Pitchford stole a bunch of money from them, and this was also after a few high profile bombs like Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain.

>bayo 1 didnt sell well
It did though, much better than 2

>tfw binary domain bombed so hard that nagoshi is forced to make yakuza games for the rest of his life
worst timeline.

i mean it didnt meet segas sales expectations

Yes they still do, but Nintendo have leash on 2 and 3.

It met their sales expectations but made no money, but thats Segas fault since initial sales were super low which prompted Sega to drop the price from $60 to $20 in the same month

>It met their sales expectations but made no money
thats an oxymoron

They were hemorrhaging money at the time and cancelled everything that wasn't Sonic, Aliens and Total War since they were the money makers. Even though they shitcanned funding, they let Platinum Games look for money elsewhere since they still had a pretty good relationship with them and Bayonetta 1 was the only project that made decent money out of their huge deal.

Guess they liked how Bayonetta 2 performed since they let Nintendo fund 3 again, guess they like the free money since they still own the IP.

>even fucking zelda

You mean the giant open world game with a shit load of physics technology in it?

Yeah, small wonder why they needed millions of sales for it to get even. Zelda was never the cheap Nintendo franchise.

Bayonetta 2 was made to sell WiiUs not the game
At 500,000 sales and extra 200,000 WiiUs sold you bet your ass they were satisfied

Funny that Nintendo is the one reaping the benefits not Sega.

At least he gets to mix it up a tiny bit with stuff like Hokuto no Ken and Judge Eyes.
But yeah, nothing truly new ever again from the people that brought you Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX. It's a shame since Binary Domain is pretty damn good.

Sega gets money out of it by default, they own the IP. They get the shortest possible cut out of a deal like that but then again, they're not putting any money in anyway. They're happy with it since 3 exists.

Binary Domain was pretty sweet. Shame the Yakuza Studio is literally defined by nothing but Yakuza. Even the Fist of the North Star was a glorified Yakuza spinoff.

Well, Sega has really gotten into letting other people use their IPs in general.
And that's fine if the games turn out good. Sega hasn't had the manpower or money to keep up with all their franchises in years.
If you had told me Streets of Rage 4 was happening before it was announced, I would've said you were just playing with my emotions.

That could explain Segas business as a whole
Imagine setting your predicted sales number to something that wont mean you made a profit.

Nintendo doesn't spend a billion dollars on every games marketing trying to make it the next multimillion seller. They understand how much a game will bring in, budget accordingly, and dont cancel the franchise and kill the developer when a game sells less than a million copies.

>Bayonetta 2

I'll never get to play this game, and even supported them by buying the first game.

Attached: 1503639924215.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Cemu

Compared to Nathan Drake that needed 8 Million sales and 2 other games heavily reusing assests
2 Million is dirt cheap for their most expensive title

The best money is no effort no risk money.
If someone else is footing the bill and you make 10% while sitting on your ass that’s a win in my book

It emulates fine