Reminder that Always Online DRM is the biggest problem facing gaming today...

Reminder that Always Online DRM is the biggest problem facing gaming today, and the fact that it isn't getting nearly as much coverage as smaller issues should be setting off some alarms.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

based moldman telling it like it is

forget the DRM, try stream based services only in the future.

Reminder that:

>you will never have mods again
>you will never have community servers again
>you will never have custom configs again
>you will never have offline mode again
>you will not even "install" games anymore, it will all be streamed

STOP KILLING GAMES

Attached: molded.jpg (654x713, 68K)

why is community generated content dying?
half the appeal of online games was custom maps, gamemodes, etc.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1465855075174.jpg (300x360, 19K)

1. There’s no money in it. Nobody would buy mappacks or DLCs if they could get 10x better content for free.
2. Some user generated content might be “offensive” and every online game has to be kept as sterilized and dull as possible so avoid hurting someone’s feefees.

>Ross has been warning us for years
>It just keeps happening

Attached: 1552999538509.png (1540x1396, 882K)

I'm not afraid of Stadia because it has too many technical hurdles to be viable, especially in America. It's going to end up as one of Google's many failed projects.

Companies are preferring to just sell endless tons of mini-DLC to add to the game instead of letting people make free addons. Also it feels like the whole modder scene/culture is pretty dead compared to its heyday. Is there anything as big as the classic mods for UT, Quake, HL etc being made today?

it will succeed in populations that has the google wire or whatever, it's gonna have a base to build off of in one year.

Most people who buy games not knowing or giving a single shit about any of the problems in this industry is the bigger problem.

I think the modding scene for Bethesda games is still kicking, though that’s the only major example I can think of.

Reminder that THE MOVIE MUST BE FINISHED!

M O L D

I thought people found Fallout 4 mod's scene to be underwhelming?

Except for maybe Doom 1&2, nobody wants to make mods for these old-ass games that are about to hit the 20-year mark.

Attached: ross_scott_gang.jpg (653x613, 115K)

There was that big standalone mod for Skyrim

I honestly have no idea but I wouldn’t be surprised. Its the only example of a “recent” game with an existing modding community that I can think of, active or not though.

>5 years
Try less than 2 years for Lawbreakers.

It's impossible to have community generated content with AO-DRM. The two are incompatible

so they can sell you the sequel exactly 365 days later
ain't no fucking good at all if the community is keeping a game alive, from business accounting standpoint

fallout 4?

There is an argument to be made that keeping a game alive like that keeps the fanbase going strong for a long ass time. See CRPGs for instance, their cult followings made it a whole lot easier to bring the genre back. Imagine bringing VTMB back if it had been an unmoddable always-online game that got shut down after a while.

Very funny
store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

Shhh stop making sense the big video game companies don't like that

No it really isn't.

The abundance of freemium and piecemeal dlc is what's killing games. Sure always online might mean you can't play a game sometimes if you have 3rd world internet, but freemium shit is threatening to drown us in games that aren't even worth playing if you aren't a whale.
If you play a multi-player freemium game and don't pay then you're literally just content that the whales pay to bully.

>This community-made mod requires that you own The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim .
did your daddy fail to explain to you what the word stand alone means?

VTMB's developer is dead and activision is charging way too much for a game that old

Difference is, you can still play freemium games.
Once an AO-DRM games goes down, that's it. You can't play it anymore. Can't even pirate it.

Some of this still happens, but I will agree it's much more rare today.
Rising Storm 2 has community servers which can then host custom mods, they even hosted one of the mods for a Christmas event.
But it's still missing stuff like an offline mode vs bots and the smaller community means the modded servers aren't as common.

>Sure always online might mean you can't play a game sometimes if you have 3rd world internet
Or also sometimes if you bought the game and it got shut down :^)

Where is the video you said it would come last week Ross?
WHERE IS THE VIDEO?

As someone who loves playing shitty old non-mainstream games, this is very worrying

Did Ross die? I haven't seen a new video from him in months.

Follow his Twitter. He's still alive, he's just
A.) Making The Movie
And
B.) In the process of making a video on Stadia

Attached: the_mold.png (400x187, 23K)

you made this the future when you accepted digital distribution and not owning your games as acceptable, steam was the worst thing to ever happen to pc gaming and you people are responsible for its downfall

He did videochat last week user.

He's one with the mold now

that's normal

I FEEL THE MOLD OVERTAKING ME....IT IS A GOOD PAIN!

because everyone has just accepted it as industry standard. same thing has happened to Day-1 DLC and season passes, etc. My 2 favorite games this year had Day-1 DLC (DMC5 & RE2). Fuck Capcom

Fuck. I'm gonna go full Maoist once we hit that point.

Attached: wanquan_tale_zhong_da_zhang.jpg (1320x1656, 288K)

>Maoist
Commies love this shit. What's more collectivist than not actually owning anything?
No, sir. You should research the third position.

Attached: 1550343403024.jpg (396x432, 23K)

Killed three games this weekend. One of them begged to be spared, said it had a family, a whole series at home. Sorry, you should have thought of that before you strayed from your series' established genre norm.

i thought lawbreakers died in 1 year or even less than that

It died a month after release but got shut down much later.

>communism means not owning anything
>muh terd position

Attached: 805882d742bed5fbbe084dce04851e47980eeaa2.jpg (900x788, 280K)

I plan to take refuge in templeos and engineer some horribly primitive networking functions over radio for very simple multiplayer

More on that later

I thought it was pretty terrible to begin with, it was nothing like oldschool FPS as advertised, gameplay was a fucking mess and the whole game felt like the result of a corporate brainstorm of random ideas that sounded suficiently cool and edgy.