I saw a lot of people here shitposting about how terrible this game is and I really don't see the reason why someone...

I saw a lot of people here shitposting about how terrible this game is and I really don't see the reason why someone would think that. Can someone actually post a thought-out, argumented criticism of why this game is bad without resorting to autistic shitposting?

Before you go on, let me address a couple of "issues" I've seen mentioned that aren't actually issues at all:
>muh glory kills!
Just don't use them. Shooting an enemy one more time is faster, more efficient and usually more satisfying than using the glory kills anyway
>but the game was built around glory kills!
This couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe if you're playing on easy on normal. On UV and higher, the glory kills do more harm than good because enemies keep firing projectiles while the animation plays and you get hit by all those projectiles when the animation ends, often resulting in instant death or a loss of health that's more than the health gained from the kill itself.
>but not enough enemies at once like in muh classics!
People tend to overestimate how crazy the classics were in this regard. In the entirety of Doom 1, there are only a couple of areas where the number of enemies on the screen at once goes over 20, a number that's matched in some of the battles in the late levels of nuDoom

Trying to be as objective as possible, there is one issue that slightly bothered me about the game, but didn't really take away too much from the experience. That's the level design and how it often closes doors behind you, stopping you from backtracking, which is really stupid in a game that has secrets and scouring for armor/health/ammo. Also, I wasn't a big fan of the armor/health/ammo upgrades, especially considering armor acts like an extended health bad instead of, you know, armor. The weapon upgrades were great though and added completely new functionality to the weapons. So, there were only a couple of issues I had with this game and I consider it a strong 8/10. Your thoughts?

Attached: Doom-2016.jpg (378x430, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-new-doom-thread.81888/
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/doom-eternal-the-sequel-to-the-2016-reboot.122387/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So, TL;DR: If you find this game bad, please explain why but follow it up with arguments and try not to out yourself as never even playing the game. Hard mode: don't refer to any of the non-issues that shitposters tend to refer to.

>Yea Forums thinks a popular game is bad

Attached: 1510827082_swbf2 just like the simulations meme.png (469x316, 192K)

OLD GAME GOOD
NEW GAME BAD

The complaints about the kill boxes are more about principle than practice. In practice everyone wants to stay in a room until everything is dead. In principle they think they shouldn't have to. It's about the fundamental design philosophy of the game, not about the literal practical gameplay that everyone chooses to engage in. In the original games you were almost never limited by your kills, but nobody even cared because they still killed everything. Not because they had to but because they wanted to.
Bottom line is however that the reason why kill boxes exist is inferior console hardware. The game's AI processing, navmeshes and skinned mesh renderers had to be optimized for the worst platform and the lack of development resources meant that the best platform couldn't just get an entirely new game of its own.

Attached: Doom-linearity-vs-D44M-linearity.png (1832x3013, 340K)

OP here, I can get behind your post completely. The closed off arenas started becoming fairly repetitive around the half way point through the game, but the smooth and satisfying shooting just kept pushing me though it and I was still having a blast. But this is a valid argument nonetheless. What bothered me was that some of the earlier levels (Foundry in particular) were much more open for exploration and didn't really have those "doors lock behind you" moments at all, save for the very last fight of that level. Plus, it gave you 4 objectives on the map and you could approach them in any order you wished. This disappears completely by the time you visit Hell for the first time. It becomes almost entirely linear and almost every single area you enter blocks you off from earlier areas.

I feel like it wasn't just console limitations, because the Vega level near the end of the game shows that the game can handle a whole lot of shit on screen at once. It was just the game being rushed because as most of us know, the development was a complete mess and basically restarted from scratch a year or so before release. Here's hoping Eternal will be a little better in this regard.

Never thought of that. But then again, was too busy stomping demons to care

>Yea Forums
>just like 3 boomers who shitpost over and over again so much so that people think the number of haters is far more than it actually is

You can't activly dodge multiple enemy projectiles, your only choise is spaz out.
You cannot backtrack from fight to heal up.
No overheal/overarmor
Armor acts as second lifebar.

>I feel like it wasn't just console limitations, because the Vega level near the end of the game shows that the game can handle a whole lot of shit on screen at once.
I don't think it is about what's on screen. It's about what can be off screen. The later levels start getting more linear so that the game can optimize its data streaming. Like Super Mario on the NES with its inability to scroll left. To me Doom4 feels like it's attempting to keep a flow of new data from further forward in the level in pace with the outflow of used assets further back. So it can bring into memory and current processes only the things that are relevant right now, and doesn't need to remember anything that happened before. The mystery with this theory is how something like The Foundry can even exist if near the end of the game the optimization is that much more drastically compromising of the game design.

>You can't activly dodge multiple enemy projectiles, your only choise is spaz out
Isn't that what you essentially do in every game where you avoid projectiles? I mean your movement will look spazzed out in any game if you're dodging multiple projectiles at once. As long as it's actually doable, I'm fine with it. The rune that gives you more air mobility is excellent for dodging.
>You cannot backtrack from fight to heal up.
>No overheal/overarmor
>Armor acts as second lifebar.
All valid, and those are some of the complaints I had as well. However, I don't think those are enough to actually call the game a shitty miserable failure as some people seem to be calling it. Most people who are hating on this game seem to be triggered by the fact that it wasn't a carbon copy of Doom 1/2 and every single one of its mechanics.

I'm sure it had to do with resource/memory management like you said, but some of the early levels are a testament to the fact that it was actually doable, but it probably required a lot more time and effort spent in optimization. Probably a mix of rushed development and technical constraints. id have been boasting about the improvements they've made to the engine for Eternal though, saying it can now handle a lot more geometry at once and considering the fact that Eternal's development isn't as rushed, we might be looking at a sequel that fixes some of the major problems with the 2016 game.

>Just don't use them.
the game is designed and balanced around it, you really have to purposefully avoid it.
> the glory kills do more harm than good because enemies keep firing projectiles while the animation plays and you get hit by all those projectiles when the animation ends
that's the fucking point
>not enough enemies at once like in muh classics!
yeah it's a brainlet argument same with "just make the movement speed faster" which you can do in snapmap anyway and it doesn't fix anything because the game is just badly designed on a fundamental level.
your argument is wrong too, it's not about the amount of enemies in the original it's how the original handles them.
>map comparisons
you are just so fucking clueless, even those less linear maps have specific zones for enemies, if you leave them they will just run away or de-spawn, it's a joke of a game relying on flashy graphics and gimmicks instead of solid game systems

>the game is designed and balanced around it
Nope. Can you read?
>that's the fucking point
Oh, you literally can't read? First you say the game is balanced around it then you say the point of them is to lose health? What exactly are you trying to say, you want to give it another shot?

>if you leave them they will just run away or de-spawn

Confirmed for never playing the game

>active dodge
pretty sure he means that you see a projectile and make a conscious decision as how to dodge and re-position which is gone from the game, it's more like you just run at max speed and projectiles just barely miss you, it's more like an illusion
>Armor acts as second lifebar.
this is unforgivable

>ust don't use them
Stop with that shit, the game is balanced for them

>On UV and higher, the glory kills do more harm than good because enemies keep firing projectiles while the animation plays
Literally never happened to me

If that's what he meant about the projectiles, he's still wrong. Most of the projectiles can be seen in time and move slowly enough that you can actively dodge them. Of course it won't be very easy if you're failing to keep your distance from enemies with ranged attacks. With mancubi and revenants, the projectiles are fairly slow and can be dodged easily. With cacodemons and barons, their projectiles are very distinct and easy to see even if things are busy on the screen and they're well telegraphed through enemy animations. The only really tricky projectiles are the imp ones because they close the distance between you very quickly and their smaller fireballs can be hard to see in an intense fight.

The way the enemies glow bright blue when theyre low health ruins the aesthetic. The serious Sam style encounters get old fast, being locked in a big room with a bunch of enemies just isn't as interesting as the more natural encounters in other doom games. Also the soundtrack was pretty generic butt rock

Like I said in the OP, non-arguments aren't welcome in this thread. The game is in no way balanced around the glory kills. I got through the game several times using them a couple of times during the entire playthrough. If you think that's the game "being balanced" around them, you're braindead.

Literally happens all the time to me. While it won't very often result in instant death (around 10-15% of the time), what will happen very often is that you only get a ridiculously small amount of health (5HP) and by doing the glory kill you've destroyed your momentum and put yourself in a compromised position where you are very likely to get hit, and a single hit from any enemy might take 1/2 of your health

>Nope. Can you read?
I re-read it and the point stands, the whole combat system encourages doing it with the non stop enemy stagger
>First you say the game is balanced around it then you say the point of them is to lose health?
no the second part is about how nightmare is balanced making the whole glory kill system redundant, the risk/reward is replaced by risk and usually a 1 hit kill you can't avoid
>Literally never happened to me
I've been killed plenty of times from eating a fireball you could actually see coming at you while the glory kill animation played, fireballs thrown from below a ledge with the imp being out of sight and the sync animation placing you directly next to an enemy which can just 1 hit kill you with a melee attack

>I got through the game by purposefully ignoring one of the game's central mechanics
that's nice but you are still wrong.

Not really a central mechanic at all. The fact that it can be completed without ever using the glory kills AND it feels more satisfying that way speaks for itself. I rarely used the grenades in this game too, was that another "central mechanic"? You have no arguments to support the claim that it's a central mechanic. Is it essential? No. Does it offer a big advantage? No. Does it feel very good to use? No. It's literally a crutch for new players playing on easy to lean on.

You know what, fine, I'll try an entire UV playthough without using them at all . If I feel it's actually easier this way then you're right.

The thing is that DOOM had monsters in the room or few and rare teleporting monsters.

nuDOOM have teleports-only and they come in waves so just as you think you're not locked-in anymore like a toddler behind door bars, more spawn in.

The maps are great, but the lock-down is a turn down, so are glory kills.
There used to be a mod that disabled staggering monsters that just stand still and regenerating health.
But since nuDOOM isn't as open as DOOM and can't be modded it doesn't work anymore.

GOOD GAME GOOD
BAD GAME BAD

Nightmare is even better, trust me. My first Nightmare playthrough is what made me finally realize how much better things are when you avoid glory kills or only use them very sparingly. Keeping momentum by avoiding glory kills becomes much more important for the outcome of a battle than the measly amount of health gained from one.

I thought it was as good as a singeplayer story shooter can be.

I think there were clear improvements to be made, even as a fan of the game.

here
The gun play is fucking fantastic, which is sad because while not game breaking, the way maps locks off and how the game is made for glory kills kinda drags it down a bit.

nuDOOME's fast step or whatever they are gonna call it is also a stupid thing.
The hookshot might be a great addition but the best thing about the game that I've seen so far is the Plasma Rifle (although a tad bit too fat on the height)

I like the "fast step" thing, but I think the cooldown on it is too short, and having 2 to use at once seems OP. I think they were inspired by the dash mechanic from Shadow Warrior 2, where it was even more powerful and spammable. Having one to use every 5 seconds or so would be cool and it makes sense that the suit Doomguy wears has some propulsion system, but it seems like you get to use it too much.

Well, having one, but with a tiny bit longer sprint distance would've made it less spammy.

Or maybe it just looked like that from the video.

It's alright, the arenas get boring quickly though and there's no real reason for having such a limited number of enemies on screen.

I really hope there isn't menu-hopping customization for this shit. Just have one set of mechanics and one set of guns that you upgrade from standard to better or best like in Quake 4. So either have one long sprint or two short ones. No ingame switching between one or the other. One of the worst things of Doom4 was the menuing. Menu is for saving, loading, options and quitting.

It's great. In fact it re-introduced me to arena shooters which I used to hate. But the fast pacing made me want more, and then I finally got into Quake. Now love fast-moving arena shooters. Before I was all about Goldeneye and Halo. Now they feel too slow.

Having a shit ton of enemies on the screen at a time isn't necessarily better game design. I think most of the battles in nuDoom had a well though-out set of enemies that you fight against, making you use a mix of tactics and weapons for dealing with the different enemies. I prefer fighting 15 well placed enemies of different types to just a boring horde of 30 cannon fodder enemies. Not to mention that Doom 1 didn't really overwhelm you with numbers either, it's only Doom 2 that got really crazy with the enemy count and by that point in Doom 2 you were already pretty good at the game assuming you've played Doom 1. Hopefully Eternal will be to nuDoom what Doom 2 was to original Doom.

I dislike Doom2 but I think it might actually be getting away with larger enemy hordes due to having a larger roster of enemies and an extra weapon to use to deal with them. Trying to cram lots of enemies in Doom1 means using larger numbers of the same enemy and it would have gotten really boring to be shooting yet another cacodemon by holding down fire with the pump shotgun.

Corridors suck and the guns feel like shit.
The game's casualized for consoles. It just feels very soulless and plastic to me.
The lack of proper ragdolls/physics is also a missed opportunity and would've added so much fun to the game.
It's just extremely boring and bland, especially for a DOOM game. Bulletstorm does a better job if you ask me.

Attached: shrug.jpg (500x334, 64K)

>Menu is for saving, loading, options and quitting.
I can't agree harder than I already am.

>Bulletstorm, a game where you can't jump, does a better job

I had some fun with Bulletstorm, but holy shit man, Doom is leaps and bounds beyond Bulletstorm in terms of its shooting, movement and enemy variety. There are ragdoll physics, but the bodies just disappear very quickly after the demons die. I can't for the life of me understand how someone can find the weapons shit in Doom, but to each their own I guess.

The ONLY thing Bulletstorm did a better job with was the quad shotgun, & even giving it that much is probably going to get me shit

Not that guy, but the kick and whip in Bulletstorm pretty much made the game. Those are things it does better than Doom because they're mechanics Doom doesn't even have. Everything else, Doom does much better. Except for maybe, maybe, art style.

Honestly if you can't have fun with this game despite its differences from the originals, you've probably reached unrecoverable levels of jadedness. You'll never have that old passion for video games again and literally everything else that ever gets released will be shit for you. I feel bad for some of you anons.

>and the guns feel like shit.
t. haven't unlocked the super shotgun's skill and didn't use the super shotgun only

>didn't use the super shotgun only
Thanks for proving my point.

Obviously he's just memeing, but the SS is the best feeling gun in the game. The only one that feels outright bad is the plasma rifle though. Everything else felt good, even the machine gun which I expected to be one of the shittier guns.

>The only one that feels outright bad is the plasma rifle though.
pistol exists

Oh right. I don't really even see it as a real weapon. Obviously id didn't try very hard to even make it a serious option in combat, otherwise it wouldn't have had infinite ammo. The charged shot is actually deceitfully powerful, though, but it's still obviously only there to be used in a pinch when you're out of all other kinds of ammo, and that won't be happening often.

Movement's shit.

While better/faster than most FPS, go play Titanfall 2 and try and play DOOM.

I enjoyed DOOM and understood why people liked it. But got bored 1/2 through do the repetitive game and trying to 100% find all secrets.

Went and played Titanfall 2. Then went back to DOOM.

It shows how clunky and basic DOOM's movement is. And that simply boosting movespeed, giving double jump and clamor is pretty basic.

Just spamming damage, until you can run into a group of enemies and QTE.

Shame APEX gutted the stuff that made Titanfall really shine, that would have added depth/longevity.

Attached: tf2-moving-target-01.jpg (1600x900, 158K)

>unlocked
into the trash

>need to play for 10 hours and unlock shit first for weapons to become mildly effective
Ya shooting bulletsponge enemies with guns that looks brutal but have the impact of a pea shooter became really boring after a while.

Wait a minute... that spacing

Attached: 1338373190676.gif (800x800, 1.67M)

Wolfenstein new order and nu-doom were great games, wolfen for having an actual story and doom for the automatic item pick-up, why can't we have that in wolfen?

learn to aim holy fucking shit
or are you that kind of retard that rushes barons with a single shotty

>bullet sponge enemies

Only the (cyber) mancubi and barons are bullet sponges, but that's what they're supposed to be. You can still take them out very quickly with the rocket launcher/Gauss cannon or SS if you're at a close range. Of course the starting shotgun and machine gun will feel weak against the strongest enemies in the game, but they make short work of imps, possessed soldiers, zombies, and laser guys. By the time you start encountering the tougher enemies you're already well equipped to deal with them, even without upgrading your weapons. Maybe you just ought to git gud.

it's a good game, and fun

Can you read?
The problem isn't my aim, the problem is enemies being damage sponges.

Except they aren't. Try aiming

Yep. Sometimes when you want to make a point that's longer than a sentence it's easier to break it up.

You don't actually think paragraphs are better for legibility on shitty forums, do you?

People rarely even read a 1 sentence post. By breaking it up into easy to read points, someone might actually read one or two and continue the actual discussion. instead of some shit post le leddit spacing.

Attached: 1163295481085.jpg (763x764, 709K)

Those are hardly paragraphs, user. Spacing out your post every 1 to a maximum of 2 sentences is terrible text formatting. Even for an anonymous image board on the internet. I bet I know where you picked up that habit though. Truth be told, I stopped reading as soon as I read "movement's shit". Movement is one of the things they absolutely nailed.

>proves point that people don't read even broken up sentences let alone paragraphs
>readdresses points already made in both posts

user please.

>and I really don't see the reason why someone would think that.
Because the game is called "DOOM", yet plays NOTHING like Doom? It is an all around downgrade and butchering of the entire name.

>Can someone actually post a thought-out, argumented criticism of why this game is bad without resorting to autistic shitposting?
I bet that any criticism is automatically "autistic shitpost" to you, but here goes:

>Full of cinematic shit, including real fucking cutscenes.
>All guns suck. Unless you use upgrades.
>Armor is literally a 2nd HP bar that depletes first.
>You can barely hold any ammo. Unless you level-up.
>Checkpoints.
>Maps are linear pipes, connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
>Platforming sections. With insta-death pits.
>Only around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, not counting "zombies". No Pinkie packs.
>Berserk pack is a timed boost that makes you invincible and unable to use guns.
>Rune challenges are just annoying filler.
>Everything glows.
>A goddamn robo-guy literally handholds you through the game, via radio.
>No mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
>Only 4 players max in Snapmaps (yeah they're apparently NOW "fixing" this).
>MP is Halo-tier shit. Period.
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either.
>No, hitscan enemies are not a cancer. I miss my easy to gib shotgun zombies.
>Bosses have HP bars and almost Zelda-style attack patterns.
>Ending was literally a slap to face + "lol, look forward to teh sequel, goy!"

Attached: Zenimax DMCA shilling 2018.png (2238x1060, 2.61M)

>>proves point that people don't read even broken up sentences

Are you retarded? I didn't stop reading your post because of how it was formatted, I stopped reading because you're a fag and your shit's all retarded. The movement is excellent in nuDoom. Out of all the issues that it actually does have, you post about something that was practically perfect.

>nud44m
>8/10
Fuck no. It's 6/10 AT BEST, and a total opposite of what DOOM is supposed to be about. I fucking hated it. here are a couple of points on how to fix it though:

>remove glory kills entirely
>remove contextual ledge grabbing
>remove contextual button pressing and other cutscene nonsense (anything that takes control from the player needs to go in the trash)
>less ground friction more variables in speed (make general movement skillful)
>more air control and give the player double jump from the get go
>rebalance enemies to each have a separate combat role
>more enemies in general + add low level hitscan enemy (make the player think about tactics and positioning instead of just running around in circles)
>better pathfinding (it's fucking horrible and broken)
>rebalance weapons to each have a combat role
>makes chainsaw, bfg ammo, other powerups more scarce or at least make an attempt to hide them
>remove all upgrade nonsense
>larger less linear levels with multiple paths, secrets, monster closet traps etc
>save arenas for the boss fights
>make armour function like the original Doom It just acts like a second health bar
it has a bunch more specific problems too...

Attached: original vs D4 cyberdemon.png (1263x1080, 937K)

dis nigga gets it, spot on
and yea, the art direction is garbage, especially enemy redesigns

>6/10
>I fucking hated it

hmmm

>button pressing was always a part of Doom
>there was a lot more of it back in the day
>but now there's a 0.2 second animation that happens so it's terrible
>brings up glory kills again even though it's a proven non-argument

I dunno man, seems like you're just looking really hard for reasons to dislike it.

>>rebalance weapons to each have a combat role

Literally all of them had a combat role. I used all of them pretty extensively. The only thing that seemed like an afterthought and didn't really fit in with the rest are the grenades. Also the weapon upgrades were pretty god damn great, but I'll agree with the other updates being just content for the sake of extra content. The pathfinding is also amazing, I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you played it pre-patch, there was a patch a few months after release that changed the pathfinding and added target leading to enemies with ranged attacks. I was actually surprised at how good they were at cutting me off from where I intended to go, and the imps were able to reach me in seconds no matter where I went.

>the art direction is garbage

Why? Elaborate. Do you prefer Eternal's designs which are more akin to the originals?

>cries about not reading a series of tiny spaced out sentences
>but says people should type in paragraphs instead

Keep up the good work patrolling for leddit spacing user. You're the hero this site needs.

Attached: 1555005905429.gif (480x480, 2.49M)

Why can't it be seen as a fun shooting game that gets the heart racing at times?

>consoles bad!!!
Let us do a little recollection, shall we? The last game before D44m, was Doom 3, which was ostensibly developed for PC (console versions were afterthoughts). Was it good? No, it fucking wasn't. It was everything you're whining about on steroids.

Doom 3 sucked mostly because of a sterile storyline and poorly written characters. Game mechanics weren't the worst of its time though.

Because 30 y/o boomers cant accept that their childhood game wasnt perfect. And that video games have matured more than they have.

>I literally love sucking cock so much that I don't have the time to get my boyfriend's cock out of my throat for a few seconds to actually read a post

Okay man, I guess you don't have to actually read what I just said lol.

You can turn the colour hints off. If you didn't it's your own fault

>the soundtrack was pretty generic butt rock
I can't begin to imagine having taste this shit. I consider myself lucky.

I'm 33 and can see Doom for what it is: kill everything and have fun doing it.

The people hating on Doom are the same ones who shit on people who don't like Jap RPGs.

Most of the people shitposting about it are ones who can't believe how a game released more than 2 decades after the first one in the series isn't exactly the same as the first one in the series

Doom has been known for many things, but storyline wasn't one of them. Doom 3 was a bad game because:
>Very small monster count, due to inability of PCs of the time of rendering many objects at the same time at an acceptable framerate
>Even with this limitation, PCs had difficulty running it well anyway
>Monster closets and teleported enemies everywhere
>Limited color palette, gray and more gray everywhere
>Linear as fuck
>Unsatisfying guns, especially the shotgun
>Shit bosses

nobody shits on people who don't like jrpgs, we shit on people who like them

No, Doom 3 sucked because it was trying to be le spooky scary horror game instead of a fast paced balls to the wall shooter. The story didn't have all that much to do with it at all.

Just play Brutal DOOM, it's D44M but done correctly

Did you pick the worst example to support your point on purpose? Doom3 is one of the few PC games that was entirely re-developed for console releases in order to accommondate the worse performance. It even has different levels.

D44M is D44M but done correctly

>but the game was built around glory kills!

You literally need to do them to get ammo.

>hurr just aim better
No. There isn't anywhere near enough ammo to kill the bullet sponges.

I like the game. Played it through once. Had a good time.

YAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS DOOOOOOOOOMSLAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>You literally need to do them to get ammo.

Holy shit, it's not even memes at this point, you literally haven't played the game. Glory kills don't even give ammo. Chainsaw kills are the ones that drop ammo, but that's a whole separate category from glory kills. When people complain about glory kills and how the game was "designed around them", they're talking about the staggered enemy kills, as you can see from every thread discussing the issue, including this one. If you're using the right weapons for the right enemies, you won't be struggling for ammo beyond the first 2-3 levels when you still haven't upgraded ammo. I probably do around 5-8 chainsaw kills for the entirety of the game, and most of those are in the first few levels. I do think the game should have started you off with more ammo capacity from the get go, but the enemies are far from bullet sponges if you're not complete shit at the game.

What the fuck are you doing

>OLD THINGS GOOD
>NEW THINGS BAD
the post

>reading comprehension is hard lol!
Is this the American public education I've heard of?

>seconds long animation when using / picking up anything is toootally OK, bros! :^)
t: (You). Kys x2.

>proven non argument
Funny how the GKs are either the go-to pro-argument OR totally dismissed depending on the situation and criticism.
It's even more fascinating when said bullshit is THE center piece of all Zenimax' marketing.

>Literally all of them had a combat role.
Like hell they do. Nobody uses the pistol, basic shotgun is a toy that's totally obsolete once Super steps in, HAR overshadows even the iconic minigun, railgun does the same to Plasma, and both BFG and Saw are diminished into cinematic special skills.

>No arguments
the post

Did you notice those big boxes lying around most of the levels? If you approach them and press the E key, they refill your ammo completely. There's also ammo lying around everywhere on every single level.

>game is above average
>I FUCKING HATED IT THOUGH

You're just absolutely retarded, my guy.

>seconds long animation

Confirmed for being unable to read and also not even playing the game. Literally every single time, without exception, when someone begins shitposting about nuDoom they just expose themselves as not even having played the game, because all you're doing is parroting the shitposting of other retards who also haven't played it.

Whatever you say kid. I bet you like the DMC soundtracks too

The pistol is a complete meme, I'll give you that. I kept using the normal shotgun late into the game for its alternate fire modes. The regular fire mode remains effective against cannon fodder if you're trying to conserve shotgun ammo. The minigun is much more powerful than the HAR, but it eats through ammo, making you have to actually think a little which weapon to use. Mobile turret for the minigun is absolute god tier and makes short work of every enemy type. Plasma rifle is the other cannon fodder weapon and the stun attachment for it is amazing against hell knights, barons and pinkies. The Gauss is obviously a heavy hitting weapon to be used against the toughest enemies. There's nothing "cinematic" about the BFG, you use it just as any other weapon but the ammo is very limited, as it should be. Chainsaw felt underwhelming because it just triggers a kill animation, that's true, but it serves a gameplay purpose and fits into the game well. Sounds to me like you never experimented with the weapons and are complaining how they're ineffective.

Almost every enemy has a weak spot that allows you to kill them very easily if you're actually good at aiming. Usually it's the head, but for mancubi it's their stomach, for pinkies it's the tail, for cacodemons it's their eye. I never had problems with ammo while actively trying to aim for these weak spots. These enemies are arguably "bullet sponges" if you're just unloading rounds and projectiles in their general direction instead of actually aiming.

>haha I called him kid that means I win
no u
lol rekt, kid

The DMC and Doom soundtracks have nothing in common. Are you mentally challenged by any chance?

>for mancubi it's their stomach

Shit, really? I always shot them in the head like everything else.

One of the logs you pick up in the game actually talks about their weak spot being their "easily pierced" belly. I think this doesn't go for the cyber mancubus since its belly is armored. Of course nobody actually read those logs, but you can't say the game didn't drop hints in one form or another.

Best FPS since TF2. While nuDoom wasn't perfect, it was a huge step in the right direction after Doom 3. Here's hoping Eternal refines things further and allows for mod support.

>real fucking cutscenes
Thats a blatant lie
>all guns suck. Unless you use upgrades.
Not really, ssg gets infinitely better with upgrade but most of the other guns can be used just fine without upgrades
>Armor is literally a 2nd HP bar that depletes first
Very true and shitty I agree with this
>You can barely hold any ammo. Unless you level-up.
Very true and lame
>Checkpoints
Are garbage
>Maps are linear pipes, connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
Agreed
>Platforming sections. With insta-death pits.
This was also in Doom 1, 2, 64, 3, etc.
>Only around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, not counting "zombies". No Pinkie packs.
Original Doom was like this at times as well, but i agree about the pinkie packs
>Berserk pack is a timed boost that makes you invincible and unable to use guns.
I agree that this sucks
>Rune challenges are just annoying filler.
Dont have to do them
>Everything glows.
Ok?
>A goddamn robo-guy literally handholds you through the game, via radio.
Hardly handholding, as a matter of fact you blatantly disregard what he says quite a lot
>No mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
No modding is bullshit
>Only 4 players max in Snapmaps (yeah they're apparently NOW "fixing" this).
Snapmap was a mistake
>MP is Halo-tier shit. Period.
Im pretty sure the mp was actually outsourced to the halo team, sucked regardless
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either.
Spider is a great boss and im glad the hitscan is gone so now i dont have to just run back and forth between cover, now i actually have to move and dodge his projectiles
>Bosses have HP bars and almost Zelda-style attack patterns
You can turn them off and original doom bosses had pretty predictable patterns such as the cyber demon
>Ending was literally a slap to face + "lol, look forward to teh sequel, goy!"
Doom 1 did the same thing

Theyre not that similar but
>disliking DMC's soundtracks
Shit taste desu

I think it's a great game, and my only gripe with it is how jumping is gimped to make it playable with a pad. There is only one jumping challenge, and it's easy as fuck.

The soundtrack WAS shit, though. Generic wub wub garbage. You'd have to be literally braindead to like it

The real redpill is that all Doom games are terrible and that Duke3d and Blood were always the better games.

Great game. I thought weapon balance was bad though

level designs were really lacking in the first and final thirds of the game. Also the soundtrack sounds like distorted ripping ass, it’s terrible garbage buttmetal/dubstep fusion for retards. Otherwise pretty good, maybe 7.5/10

i agree about Blood, but Duke is gay as fuck

Hahah! Back to plebbit!

>Literally all of them had a combat role.

Nope. After getting super shotgun all weapons you get before it are useless

rpgcodex hates this game too

>You cannot think a game is good but hate it for personal reasons
Not him but you are an actual brainlet.

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-new-doom-thread.81888/
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/doom-eternal-the-sequel-to-the-2016-reboot.122387/
FUCK NU DOOM

It happened to me frequently on ultra

>Bad site hate game
>I must love game now

Attached: 1550943186137.png (500x607, 87K)

wrong see

>wub wub

It wouldn't hurt to at least play the game before trying to post bait

it was you user, you were the retard all along
what a twist eh?

The entire point of rating a game on a scale of 1-10 is to express YOUR SUBJECTIVE OPINION. It;s inherently subjective. So saying it's a 6/10 game but you hated it is absolutely pants on head retarded, just like yourself.

>claim game is above average in your opinion
>HURR DURR I HATED IT

Without a hint of irony or intent to insult you, you are quite literally mentally challenged. Or maybe you think 6/10 is an abysmal score to give? Do you work for IGN?

those trash tier enemies are there to keep your ammo stocked up on UV pistol starts so they dont have to put 3 large ammo crates in every room

Attached: 1553178857255.png (667x435, 99K)

NEW GAME GOOD
OLD GAME GOOD

thats entirely the point of a lot of the enemy types. Barons in the original doom aren't used because of their high damage output, it's because fighting one in close quarters can be dangerous without power weapons. If they just wanted to kill you fast the entire game would be filled with archviles and chaingunner closets.

1. There's more than 1 person on 4channel
2. I don't like God of War 2 or any other button masher but I won't claim it's a 0/10 game
3. He hates the game because it's not the game he wants it to be, that doesn't make it worse than it really is, mediocre
4. Go back to inbreeding

I have not played Nu-Doom but from what I understand the main issue is level design and how the AI interacts with it.
The original Doom was about crowd control, enemies would often have an advantageous position over you or try to overwhelm you with numbers. I guess in nu-Doom enemies just kinda mindlessly run at you with no way of using level design to their advantage which makes it more akin to Painkiller or Serious Sam.

he said that it is 6 out of 10 "at best".
meaning most of the time, outside of the few highlights, it's below average.
and thats true. it is even worse if you went in expecting a faithful, no-breaks ego shooter like the original was.

>Thats a blatant lie
You didn't even play the game. And no, limiting yourself to the Arcade mode is not the same thing, m8.

>Not really
Yes really. All the guns start with pathetic reach, ammo pool and damage values. Penetration is apparently unheard of now.

>This was also in Doom 1, 2, 64
Nay. At best you could fall into a lava pit, most which did have an escape route. And "platforming" was limited to spring over platforms very close to each other. D4 has you literally scale towers with insta-gib bottomless pits.

>Original Doom was like this at times as well,
The very OG, 1993 DooM could have 128 enemies on the map at once, which you could go and aggro. The sequels exponentially increased the limit.
As shown in numerous games, ie. SS3, you could have fucktons of enemies and projectiles on the screen, with modern graphics and physics, running on very modest hardware.

>Dont have to do them
Don't add pointless trash into games then.
Not to mention when the only way to make the gameplay somewhat tolerable IS to do these grindan missions, they are near obligatory.

>Ok?
devs should learn 2 art design again.

>Doom 1 did the same thing
barely.

it was fun desu

it was boring as fuck.

>1993 DooM could have 128 enemies on the map at once, which you could go and aggro.
I wonder... Since Doom was programmed to be able to run 320x240 resolution at steady 35fps on a 286 computer, what would happen if one were to make a room with 128 barons in it and then aggro them all. When playing on an actual 286.

Glory kills are objectively the best thing to happen to the FPS genre in the past decade.
Anyone who disagrees has probably given them less than 10 seconds of thought, because any more than that and not figuring it out is outright retardation.

it's not a bad game, just a really boring one

I don't agree that it was console limitations that forced the d44m devs to go down the path they did in regards to kill boxes. Games have gotten pretty good at loading only whats needed so I really doubt there was some sort of power limitation limiting their vision. I think they probably just liked the idea of having focused encounter areas to both serve as a way to have more designed encounters, and also to have a checkpoint system that functions off of defeating encounters rather than reaching an area.

The encounter design is pretty much identical to something like the Halo series, except in open levels instead of a linear shooter.

>stops the flow of the combat
>on higher difficulties you are at a net loss of health, if you go for glory kills
wow, such an amazing feature

I thought it was okay, but I hated the music. This faggot mix of pretend metal and dubstep was just so fucking dumb. I kept the music on during my playthrough in the hopes that it would get better, but it never did. Picking up the doom figures just made me want to play classic doom just for the sound track.

You're actually fucking retarded. Thanks for comfirming that right out of the gate.
You would rather had to explore previously explored areas of the map looking for pickups?
You would rather take cover for 10 seconds at a time when low at health in combat?
Glory kills keep you in combat, they force you to take risks, you get rewarded for pulling them off, there's some great animations when they occur, and they last about 500ms - 1second.
Again, you're fucking retarded.

It's called Industrial you pleb.

My only gripe with it are the arena rooms, I just didn't like to be locked down in an area until everything was dead. Other than that I don't get the glory kills complaint because if you're good at the game you're never gonna need them since they're just glorified health packs when you kill low on health. Besides you can get the perk that makes them go crazy fast, that makes you literally rip and tear, makes you FEEL like the doom guy

You misspelled "shit".

You misspelled "your opinion".

instead of glory kills there should just be an option to do an ordinary melee attack to finish them off an get the benefits of a GK

>not loving the badly executed glory kill system means you like all that casual crap
wow, I wonder what's the average IQ is on this board...

Attached: 1554402765967.jpg (265x256, 24K)

this is actually a good idea.

i don't mind them that much but i get the contention. they lock you in place and kill player momentum. i'm willing to bet if they functioned more like melee strikes in destiny or halo no one would have taken issue with them.

>steady 35fps on a 286 computer
actually, 286 already struggled to run even Wolfenstein 3D at full screen size, and DooM was practically the same as trying to run Crysis on Pentium3; doable to a degree, but far from optimal.

386 was the recommended minimum, while 486 was the recommended.

Not an argument.
>kill player momentum
You can use them FOR momentum what do you mean?

ALL GAME BAD

Attached: back in my day.jpg (750x476, 72K)

maybe you're talking about the rune that accelerates player speed from GK use? i'm talking about player movement, GK physically stop you in place. if i could GK while retaining movement that might be preferable.

I play with the hud off the experience is far superior, No need

>defend blatant retardation
>b-but I'm not r-retarded though!

No? The range of GK's is pretty big. You can upgrade the range of GK's to get up on ledges etc. Having it be a disconnected melee attack / would remove mechanics and bit completely dull and uninteresting.

While I see what you went for, it's a shit retort and you should feel bad. Hopefully through this shame you can learn to not be as fucking lame.

Shut the fuck up and keep listening to your MIDIs boomer.

Lame.

>>Very small monster count, due to inability of PCs of the time of rendering many objects at the same time at an acceptable framerate
Serious Sam 2 literally came out in 2005 and had plenty of enemies while being pretty tech advanced.

eh, you could replace camera lerping with magnetism for the same effect

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

DOOOOOOOOOMSLAYAAAAAAAAAAAAA