How did this blow up like it did and got made into a series?

How did this blow up like it did and got made into a series?

>zero story

>enemies are dying super easy and are literal cannon fodder, there is no depth to combat at all

>only 4 different enemy types:
>--humanoid (bandits/crimson lance) these make up 99% of the game
>--skags (dogs)
>--rakks (cliffracers)
>--other vermin (snails, insects, they behave all the same)

Attached: borderlands-1-logo.jpg (1600x1000, 544K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wSF6YLztczg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They came out with BL2 quickly and threw in a story along with tons of great DLC and likable characters. That said, the pre-sequel sucked and was clearly a cash grab.

Because it's fun.

>Talking about Vidya at work
>They ask if I'm excited for Borderlands 3
>"No"
>"What?!" "I am the conductor of the poop train!"
>Everyone laughs
Kill me

Attached: MGS4 Gun Eater.gif (480x270, 2.42M)

stream yourself playing it alone right now and visibly enjoying the game. you literally can't. no one plays this game alone.

First of its kind and didn’t take itself too seriously. Story was decent and was mostly there to facilitate perforating things with crazy guns anyway

>no one plays a game designed for coop alone
based retard

It was unique for its time... If it released again today it world probably flop however that's what bl2 made up for

Embezzlement

When Borderlands was new the RPG-FPS hybrid was genuinely unique.

Now we have fucking Assassin's Creed doing stats and numbers. It's all old hat.
But it'll probably still sell a bazillion because people think it's genuinely hilarious.

I DONT SEE YOU SMILING AT THE PRECISE LIP CURVE ANGLE THAT DETERMINES GENUINE JOY, user

Its just fun user, why don't you like fun?

i just got to the trash coast. how much longer is this game?

addiction to loot

i dunno, replayed 2 recently after the 3 announcement, and its really dated, even ignoring the non-existent story and one dimensional characters.

>all characters have 1 active ability on very long cooldown, mostly act as a "kill things faster button"
>99.5% of all loot is complete garbage, you will be using the same guns for 10+ levels
>90% of the guns are all exactly alike
>the only way the game knows how to make more difficult enemies is give them 10x hp
>locking you to 2 weapons slots for 15 levels, and 3 for not getting the 4th until the end of the game
>interesting guns dont show up until the 20's 30's

I'm really surprised I played this shit to level 50 before, its just so bland now

>zero story
it's more the atmosphere that grabs people

Probably because some people just like tasteless stuff. That, and the fact that most of the actually tasteful devs and their superior games completely abandoned local coop unlike these guys.

why is OP so mad about a game?
most people on Yea Forums actually like the game
we just shit post about it but newfags take what we say seriously and and then dont enjoy the game

>How did this blow up like it did and got made into a series?
Reddit: The game.

The game came out 10 years ago, there nothing really like it at the time.

I remember playing it with a friend and it was just good fun playing together but even back then we said the game was really clunky and floaty, it felt like shit to play. I didn't actually think it would take 10 years for a game in the series to release that might actually feel decent to play.

I just wanna know when Destiny 3 comes out because Destiny's shooting is miles ahead any Bordermems shit I just fucking hate everything else about Destiny so much.

loot gun generator system.

Because Destiny, Warframe and The Division weren't out at the time.

It did? I don't care much for the story, but I know that what was being said was important or at least interesting for the general timeline and thbe new mechanics of double jump and plummeting were fun and almost needed.

Attached: 1554508322571.jpg (400x400, 23K)

It's a lot of fun if you play with a friend, single player it's shit but the writing had some charm to it.

It's the funnest looter shooter I've personally played and probably the only one that's still fun in singleplayer (personally)

As someone who plays almost exclusively offline by himself:
1) Open-ness of the world; you feel very small in such a giant area, reminds me of Halo games with the massive skyboxes and backgrounds that you just want to go and explore but you can't because you'll die if you fall off the cliff
2) Atmosphere; the mad max/fallout/post apocalyptic wasteland NEVER gets old no matter how many times it's done
3) Music; almost Halo-tier but very fitting for the setting and almost as catchy and iconic
4) Art style; everything just looks so cool
5) Tweakable options (play with outlines on/off, change saturation, etc. in the ini files) make this game extremely customizeable and replayable on pc thanks to unreal engine
6) Infinite loot chasing; extremely addicting for those of us that enjoy this kind of carrot chasing
7) Cool guns; At a time where everyone was playing generic shooters, this game's guns were very creative and fun to use, always exciting to find a new one
8) Sandbox style gameplay; devs don't stop you from walking around on foot when most games during this period would force you into a vehicle, other examples are the skill trees and the ability to snipe enemies safely from a great distance even if it feels like you're cheating (most devs would limit the distance or force you into close quarters, but in Borderlands, if you can see it you can shoot it), you can make enemies fight each other, etc.
9) Waifus
And keep in mind this is just offline. Online is a whole different shenanigan.

It came out just as meme games were becoming a thing, and so everyone bought it for the lol value, it helped that it also had coop.

I bet they're gonna do something like putting dead Battleborn characters in as an easter egg

>we're self aware XD

I bet they're gonna have Amara leglock some dude and choke with out with her thighs haha

>it's thread #235273654 where someone looks back at a series that's a decade old and tries to hold it up against today's standards

There was nothing else like it when Borderlands started. That's why it blew up. Nobody had tried a Diablo type game as a first person shooter, nobody had pulled off that artstyle as well as they did in 2009, games hadn't gone for the "wacky" dialogue like that. It was a whole bunch of firsts that managed to catch on.

Attached: 1526137080627.gif (284x210, 3.52M)

>nobody plays this game alone
Fuck you, you friend having asshole!

>zero story
There's some story in BL1, but it's not as easy to follow as BL2.
There's also a lot untold and hidden in the game, like sirens, why they have powers, how the powers are transfered, and so on.

>only 4 different enemy types:
>--humanoid (bandits/crimson lance) these make up 99% of the game
>--skags (dogs)
>--rakks (cliffracers)
>--other vermin (snails, insects, they behave all the same)
Also those aliens, and more.

The division 2? Oh right, only 1 enemy type.
Destiny 2? No fucking idea, but I imagine there's only 1 enemy type there too.

>enemies are dying super easy and are literal cannon fodder, there is no depth to combat at all
You have a skill tree, guns that work different well on different targets. Some passives that will make certain guns much better than they are. For example, if you have high weapon switch speed you can switch weapons to deal elemental damage more easily, or if you have reload speed you may prefer guns that need to reload often because their punishment is almost entirely negated.
Nades also play in, you can use transfusion grenades which let you do a lot more "in your face" type of combat, especially if you spec for passives that let you heal.
So on.

What do you have in The Division 2? Oh right, a grenade... and you hide behind cover.
Wow, that's 4 dimensional play right there.

Basically what's happened with Rick and Morty.
Great show, but a large portion of the fans are horrendously boring and weird people, who are even offensive and cause pain to everyone around them.
That does not mean that the show is bad, although season 3 was terribly weak. I have no idea what happened with season 3, the first two seaons are 10/10, while third season being 7/10, or arguably 6/10 (basically the last episode drags it up from being a 4-5/10).
youtube.com/watch?v=wSF6YLztczg

>>enemies are dying super easy
It's been a while since i played but i think Borderlands did define the term "bullet sponge"

>R&M
>great show
Slow down there buddy, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Ive played it in 2009
and im playing it now alone
enjoying gunplay and character abilities

bl1>bl2>TPS

It has good comedy, good characters, and pretty good stories, and also a deeper story.
It's really good, it's not just lame humor like the family guy, simposons, and american family/guy (although the last named has a little more to it than the other ones).

>he thinks truly good games can't hold up
There are probably hundreds of examples but just in the FPS genre alone you have the original doom, deus ex, half life, system shock 2, halo ce, left 4 dead, etc

A fun game is still fun 10 years later. I can still find enjoyment in the atari games I played with my dad as a kid and yet I feel no engagement from borderlands. I'd rather play path of exile or diablo 2 if I just wanted to collect and ignore loot. At least they let you actually build characters that feel unique

R&M is this generation's Seinfeld

Attempting my BL1 playthrough again.
Got a fire revolver, and a shock revolver.

>Shock basically removes all shields in 1-2 shots.
>Fire revolver doens't deal a ton of damage
>But over a few seconds it just melts everything from the dots

BL2 elemental guns felt pointless, now in BL1 they're just insanely good.

Only 2 of those are true.

>destiny 2
There are 5.

This. I'm playing Borderlands right now and it's even better with all the quality of life stuff they added but the core gameplay remains intact and it's just as fun as I remember it. Lose track of time so quick when playing this game.

Attached: commandant_steele__2__by_xxxeleanorxxx_d9hzeef-fullview.jpg (1024x1537, 288K)

Pretty sure they're just humanoid aliens, or some scrawly snail like enemies.
So, 2 enemy types.

why did she have to die bros?

Not just elemental, BL2 guns feels like kids toys, water blasters or nerf gun

Attached: steamuserimages-mayacosplayer.jpg (1024x700, 156K)

Attached: gaige_the_mechromancer___borderlands_2_by_lamikol_d7p2w3b-fullview.jpg (900x600, 79K)

Attached: janey_springs_by_xxxeleanorxxx_db0kgpx-fullview.jpg (600x901, 80K)

Cute AND Funny

There wasn't much like it at the time and it was fun if you had friends to play with.

Attached: d9dafex-4ea195fe-9839-4c66-9eb2-450f938283de.jpg (667x1000, 629K)

>Pretty sure
So you dont know for sure, just pretending to

Attached: 1538942765734.jpg (250x250, 24K)

Best Borderlands waifu?

Attached: 1487145701_vTmj7aAETQg.jpg (1351x2160, 396K)

Looked at video now, and there are 3 enemy types.
Humanoids with guns or melee.
Dogs but "scarier".
Flying things.

Wrong pic, you posted Krieg's meat bycicle instead of Gaige
Here I fixed it for you

Attached: Best GIRL.png (600x650, 274K)

There is 4 types only for aliens

I NEED IT TO BE SEPTEMBER RIGHT FUCKING NOW

Attached: Oh Maya.jpg (656x982, 128K)

The back of her head is gonna be bald and I'm gonna dab on your kind in every single BL3 thread

The aesthetics attracts a special kind of retarded kids. Don't ask why, it just happens, there's a reason if shovelware exists.

borderlands 1 for me is fucking boring as fuck the weapons aren't satisfying and everything feels slow and the world is boring as shit, and enemies rape you if you like 3 levels under them and you cant even damage them, i prefer bl2 for the gameplay but god the dialogue makes me wanna kill myself

They're different races, but they're the same enemy type.
Walking and shooting enemies, doesn't matter if they look different or have different damage element damages.

Yeah that never happened. No one would ever talk to you.

so basically turret that shoots at you is also human

The shit loot was BL2's serious problem. What BL3 needs is;
>custom vault hunters with a big ol skill tree.
>Weapon customisation so you can make use of all that vendor trash; the grinder was already a thing in 2; just give it a UI.
>Armour/Outfit?Melee drops in the loot table
>Custom vehicles unique to the player for the catch-a-ride with a truckload of looted parts and online races; Every freakin Borderlands (2 in BL2) had racetracks you cant race on

because coop games are rare

Borderlands simply found a niche that some wanted more of, and it also probably helped that this was enough to help stand out from other shooters of the time, what with CoD going into full swing. Unfortunately 'looter shooters' are more cursed than Gotham are all flawed to some extent, and BL1 just happens to be a very bland game.

BL1 enemies can die pretty easy. BL2 is whole another story though.

OHNONONONO, LOOK AT THOSE HAND

>People are attracted to this
*wheezes*

Attached: OH NO NO NO.png (361x219, 70K)

BORDERLANDS BAD
STEAM GUD
EPIC SHIT
RANDY'S PEDOFILE

Attached: oogaboogaaa.jpg (800x450, 41K)

My issues are small nitpicks that built into an overall dislike
Never had to return to the hub world for the main story so a ton of questlines got overlooked since I was well beyond them by the time I found them
The sherif’s ultimate felt too sting and was on too short a cool down, felt like a constant push to win button
And some other minor shit
It was an ok game, but a dissappointment

I know the game is shallow but it's so god damn fun, so FUCK you OP, let me enjoy myself

Attached: fook you.jpg (1358x722, 150K)

Imagine actually being this person, supporting the chinese and a pedophile.

Attached: 3.gif (180x200, 1.08M)

>How did this blow up like it did and got made into a series?
Zoomers who were children when BL 1/2 came out and have a lot of nostalgia for the series. Anyone who wasn't underaged back in 2012 knew that BL2 was a giant steaming pile of shit.

because it's first person shooter coop diablo 2.
there is nothing more to it, it simply shooting diablo 2 clone.

ah come on, it was fine for one playthrough
I never replayed it once.

>want to replay BL2
>can't decide on a character

why would I ever wanna play someone other than Maya?

>phaselock for good CC and FREE dmg on tough shit
>built-in SLAG for those retarded Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode enemies
>looks fine as fug

how could someone like Krieg even compare? I'm only talking about UVHM, aka the true endgame of BL2

Is the Borderlands 2 community patch worth playing?

What ever happened to cm punk

i never said it was bad, OP did. settle down, teacup

i have it and it isn't really noticeable. maybe that's a good thing.

Fuck off Randy
Yea Forums has always hated this shit game and only newfags like it

It increases the drop rate of shit so the grind isn't as bad
But it also fucks with a lot of skills, mostly buffs

Unless you're playing coop, Axton is 100x better.

>how could someone like Krieg even compare?
Krieg is the only fun gameplay character, since he doesn't have to rely on shitty BL2 guns.

Sal is the only solo character, he gets to slag and deal damage, while none of the other characters can do it.
First play through it's not that big, only 1.5x multiplier, but after that it's 2x multiplier.

Characters ins BL2 are garbage, I don't like any of them.
BL1 it's meh? I'm trying Mordecai now, and he's pretty fun. Lilith was boring.

2009 was year I still played games for fun and had friends thus BL was game we enjoyed

Diablo with guns what's so strange about that

did you ever touch your friend's bulge tho

>Reading the changelog right now
>Apparently Axton's turret and Gaige's Deathclaw scale properly on the console versions of the game but they don't on PC

What the fuck?

Salvador doesn't have a slag skill. He can use slag guns when he's gunzerking if you have a slag gun equipped but Axton and Maya are the only ones who have slag skills. Considering Maya's is single target it's good for large enemies but it doesn't last as long and the only real benefit she has over Axton is that she can long range revive other players.

If you're playing single player, the damage output, slag bullets, aggro and second wind potential far outclasses her.

Are there any recommendable mods for BL2?

I didnt have fun. Actually i had frustration and boredom.

Borderlands 2 Reborn, it comes with the community patch as well, it also makes anarchy stacking faster
Nothing else, really

Because the concept is literally
>what if we made a goofy Diablo FPS

The promise of a crazy OP randomized gun waiting around the corner keeps you going.

>have access to BL1 remaster via steam sharing
>got a new PC that runs shit flawlessly so far
>very little tweaking done to make games run well, default autodetect is working great
>try BL:R
>runs like ass, 10FPS on the high settings it defaulted to, and wacky visual glitching
>what the fuck
>get 20FPS on minimal settings, glitching stops
>what the double fuck
>mess with drivers, game settings, driver settings
>nothing helps
>at some point end up in the specific settings for the .exe
>it's set to use minimum resources, only using a fraction of the CPU and RAM
>cpu causing shit FPS and low RAM causing the visual issues
>tell the stupid fucking thing to run on the fucking default settings
>find each and every setting that could possibly have caused this and tell it to just stick with the goddamn defaults like a normal program
>game runs perfect 120FPS on max settings
this is my third PC that has had it's first screw up while trying to deal with a Gearbox game

Same
the weirdest thing is that the game ran perfectly fine in the original edition but then I play on enhanced and it runs like ass

Doesn't fix Deathclaw's AI though, so he's still shit.

what's the proper order to play the borderlands 1 DLC and when should I start it?

I had to almost do the same thing trying to get it to run on my laptop. For some reason it wanted to use integrated graphics instead of the discrete card, so I had to go force it to use the default settings that everything else on my computer uses.

They can't slag until they finish 1 skill tree, and by then you've already finished the game.
Salvador is the only one who can slag with his ability.

Release order, with Mad Moxxi's arena being optional unless you just really have to play the most boring content in the series. Start the DLCs after the main game so the loot you get is higher level (they scale to your level, so technically you can start them anytime)

Salvador doesn't have a skill that causes slag. Besides, you don't even really need slag in NVHM. If you do, then your weapons are just shit.

>although season 3 was terribly weak.
Probably because they had more female writers come on so they can write more relatable females.

It's really not that difficult to work out.

It came out during the grey shooter era. That's literally it.

Attached: epic store.png (624x450, 186K)

>fight baron flynt
>obnoxious loud background sound effects of his sandcrawler blasts at full volume over any and all voice over in this fight
>Options -> Sound -> SFX slider to 0 does absolutely NOTHING
>beat Flynt without ever understanding what he was saying
>get the supposed vault piece
>quest pops up: "tannis has betrayed you, find that babbling bitch wahtever it costs"
>commandant steele is on the voice comms now
>still can't understand shit
>guardian angel is talking
>still can't understand shit
>desperately try to jump off this sandcrawler so I can listen to these crucial story bits
>there's a death plane in the air, I get respawned right at the top of the crawler again
>steele still talking
>still not understandable due to the loud as fuck, un-mutable engine noises ins this area
>miss out on all the story about what the fuck just happened

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU RANDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Attached: rage.jpg (860x611, 113K)

you get the 4th weapon slot after a level 18 mission

You realize this came out like fifty years ago right? At the time everyone was playing Modern Warfare, Halo, and Gears, there wasn't another shooter where you collected different guns and leveled a character. It was a unique experience in a landscape of competitive shootan games. It isn't like today where you have several games like this to choose from at any given time because of The Division, Destiny, etc. It also had a unique art style and a goofy story mode as compared to everything else being wicked serious in tone. That's all without mentioning the multiplayer online or the local split-screen you could play with your friends or with a gf since it wasn't that hard to recover if she died because of the down-but-not-out mechanic.

turn on captions you tard

Borderlands 1 was pretty comfy and I liked it a lot.