Can someone explain to me why only about 5-20% of the people who actually buys a fighting game, play the online mode...

Can someone explain to me why only about 5-20% of the people who actually buys a fighting game, play the online mode? Source is based off the PSN trophy list. Its puzzling in a genre based off a player vs player game. The majority of people who supports the game initial launch dont give a fucking about player vs player. Fighting games was already niche but even the online is niche too? No wonder why the FGC is poverty af

Attached: Soul-Calibur-VI-1170x659.jpg (1170x659, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kYCW0Dfixv4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

japanese fighting games have shit netcode but you don't need good netcode in japan since you can just go to arcades to play

>japanese fighting games have shit netcode
That sounds like a personal problem for you

I like the characters and the way the game feels. I have no aspirations to get better at it, and don't really enjoy okaying with strangers.i'll play local with my friends when we're fucking around, but the solo stuff in SC is often fun enough on its own.

I'd love for there to be more fighting games that don't give a lick about online and just focus on being fun to play by yourself.

Most of the people who buy fighting games buy them to play locally, because to date practically no fighting game has had good netcode. Casuals buy them to play with a friend on the couch, FGC people buy them to play and practice for locals, and the wifi warriors are the remaining minority.

youtube.com/watch?v=kYCW0Dfixv4

post hot nightmare pics

>avoid this shit 90% of the enemies will spam at you
you are really why people avoid online?

RE and CE are shit
SHIIIIIIIIT

Casuals want to play through an arcade or story mode, beat it once maybe twice then shelve the title.

Yeah but at that point why even buy the game? So you can spam the CPU to death or just shit on your friends locally by spamming them instead
To say the lag is a reason is false because you have to atleast go and play matching online to judge how shit it is. 80% of people dont even touch it online so how can lag be the reason.

People play local multi. That's why fighting games are not popular on the PC. Most PC owners don't own controllers and it's hard to play local multi with two people on a single keyboard.

Tekken and Street Fighter are party games, like Fifa or Mario Kart. Only turbo-autists play them online.

Attached: 1496859913455.jpg (248x187, 21K)

I bought SCVI hoping to get back into fighting games but the online was incredibly shit that I just shelved it.

80% of people are casuals who buy the game for their meme guest character like Geralt, Darth Vader or just buying it because it's new big title releasing and dropped it next day.

Hey was the mod you're using for the HUD? looks nice

online is so incredibly inferior to couch coop

No it’s not. Japanese devs refuse to use GGPO and we are left with shit net code. It’s not surprise why there games are even dead online and you need to use discord.

Attached: 0C5014DC-9E75-44ED-B85C-6F16E49208F8.jpg (850x850, 164K)

Im not very good, plus I have way more fun beating up my friends locally than getting dabbed on by good players who disconnect if I win

If you don’t have a good local scene or a group of friends willing to play with. Do NOT get into fighting games.

>Only autists play Fifa and Mario Kart online
M8 everyone plays those online. You don't know what you're talking about.

I played enough online to get the platinum trophy. I'm not invested enough to get amazing at the game, but I am invested enough to get decent.

>hardest genre to get into up to a point where you cant win a single round against a better player
>why casuals dont play online?

I didn't have either when I started and I had a great time.

I play locally desu.

Because the online is full of über autists who have played fighting games for hundreds of hours and completely wreck you. When I play a fighting game then I mostly want some casual fun with my friends locally or play through a campaign if it's good like in some sc games.

>tfw used to play local vs mode on Melty Blood on PC

The good days where I would play fighters on numpad

Attached: KH in general.png (502x329, 387K)

Dude, they are just vocal minority. If there is someone in your house, you play with them. If there is nobody in your house, you leave the house instead of playing games alone like a fag. That's common sense.

skullgirls has great netcode.

>If there is nobody in your house, you leave the house instead of playing games alone like a fag

Attached: 1541213206837.gif (250x200, 1.51M)

Stop being aggressive when they have meter on wakeup and use guard break attacks or sidestep?

>no tutorials so you get gimmicked
>lag turns it into a different game
>need to learn arbitrary inputs to do the same combos over and over again
>play lame to win

In the case of scvi it's because they fucked up with ce, re etc.

No, I think you definitely have a serious misunderstanding how many people play those games online. Fifa is easily one of the most played online games for the Playstation or Xbox at any given moment.

I bought SC6 because of Nostalgia but then realized how much I hated the reversal edge mechanic so I quit

>no tutorials so you get gimmicked
Name one online game where you cant get gimmicked?

RE mechanic was nerfed a fair bit and you stop seeing it after a while but I hate when you forget about it and someone whips it out on an attack that will get you punished by it or worse - when people just farm up that soul meter with it bleh

>CE RE
Stop being over aggressive when they have meter and learn to sidestep

RE doesn't require meter tho

This. I enjoy some fighting games mechanically but have no desire to queue up for 5 minutes so I can enjoy a 45 second beatdown where I have no hope of landing a hit
>git gud
I don’t really want to. Which is why I don’t play online.

RE would have made a lot more sense if the auto parry and tracking started when their weapon was actually raised and in position instead of during the windup animation

I know, it was advice for the guy who complaining about CE
Still, RE has been nerfed quite a bit, just sidestep it, and if they keep doing it like an idiot blow them up with a guard break

>RE

was nerfed recently and people are sleeping on the guard meter damage it does to the people who use them

Fighting games aren't actually all that fun. If they were, more people would play them.

Its fun but it does require years of practice to actually have fun with it.

They're very fun, but require dedication and effort to get good at, most people want instagratification while very few people have the drive and motivation to learn a fighting game

It wasn't nerfed when I stopped playing. It really hurt the momentum of the game, I understand why it was added (an easy tool for newcomers to alleviate pressure) but the cutscene behind it was so long and it was annoying to get a knockdown and prepare for a 50/50 only to get RE'd
I didnt enjoy it so i quit. I probably wont return either because Amy/Cassandra DLC is such a waste and I regret buying the season pass
Really i regret buying the game

> require years of practice to actually have fun with it.

not really no alot of the new guard is beating the old guard these days

a lot of FGC fags live largely normal lives

>re is nerfed
the damage is done, sc is dead for good.

sounds like an excuse

Imagine it the game shipped without it
It would be on par with SC2

don't need ggpo when your country has good network infrastructure and

I imagine it's a mix of people just playing it while it's the flavor of the month and people who actually do play fighting games regularly, but don't treat a certain game as their main game, so they just play it a bit and go back to what their used to. In Soul Calibur's case there's probably a lot of people who just got it for character creation too.

As if that's a bad thing.

People are just looking for different experience from PC online gamea. Look at something like For Honor, it has basic fighting game mechanics but is honestly more of a fucking MOBA and can be called a psuedo-fighter at best, yet compared to any fighter on PC it destroys their numbers of retaining players online. And For Honor is shit and horribly balanced, yet it still holds a far larger player count than the top 3 PC fighters combined.

I bought SC to make sluts and then jerk off to them

>a lot of FGC fags live largely normal lives
You don't need to be a "pro" player to be good at fighting games but it still requires a lot of effort, I consider myself good at FPS but it all boils down to clicking heads and strafing, nearly every from quake, to cs, to overwatch
Fighting games on the hand can vastly different when hopping from title to title, as well as putting in countless hours to play a decent level, I love the genre but i totaly understand why it isn't popular, imagine spending all your free time to play a game where keep getting you ass kicked when there are much better alternatives

Hardly, SC6 is the first fighting game I play online and it took like two months max to get decent at it. If anything fighting games are at their funnest when they're new and you don't know shit, and get worse once you git gud and realize you have to start playing like a comp goblin to progress.

same

>Can someone explain to me why only about 5-20% of the people who actually buys a fighting game, play the online mode?
Think of the 90s. Many fighting games were sold but the consoles didn't have online

Ah yes, the good old OS for the games not named Tekken/SF

>Why only 5-20% of the people who actually buy a fighting game play online?
Multiplayer PvP is unenjoyable when you have to work so hard just to get a basic understanding of the game, only to lose to either
>Smurfs
>People hanging around low rank for lulz while beating on raw new players
>Actual people good at the game that demoalize with how fast you lose to them.
Plus you know, if you matter at fighting games you don't play them online anyway.

I was really enjoying it but that fucking that auto parry move is annoying as fuck plus Taki seems kind of shit in this game and she has always been my main.

DING DING BEST POST IN THE THREAD.
>Queue up for 5 minutes to enjoy getting beat down and unable to retaliate
Basically the second best post in the thread. This is the issue.

For Honor is f2p
We dont live in the 90s anymore. Thats not even comparable

They're still fighting games. People bought them to have fun versus the CPU or play localy with friends/family and to this day this is still true.

also this. i personally love fighting games and always try to get the next hot one since last gen early days, and i still play local multi. ive got +30h in local smash gameplay, and same with other games like MvC, MkX, Tekken, etc

also i really play singleplayer and dont really lke to play online, not that fun imo sometimes i try and he its nice but even when m really good in a game and can get a nice score and win ratio i still prefer single or local multi

I thought people were memeing when they said Yea Forums is full of casual players (I don't mean just fighting games related)

Attached: D3XKbzpUEAACB6u.jpg (2048x1646, 649K)

i only torrent them to play the story mode i also am not gonna spend a bunch of time learning all the combos and shit id rather just button mash

bad netcode, bad connection quality (wifi warriors), sometimes you just want to play local multiplayer instead

online costs extra

GGPO is just a different way of handling the delayed nature of online gaming. There's no magic way to deal with ping times higher than the input delay. You can let the gameplay slow down or you can arbitrarily decide who wins exchanges. GGPO only suits people who have their input strings timed to muscle memory and aren't interested in playing reaction gameplay.

>Drop it in first week
>only care about singleplayer content
>only care about local play with friends
>no means to use online if on a console
I wish I had more people to play locally with

It's relative. FIFA being the most purchased game is going to suggest it's also the most heavily played game online too. If only 20% of players play online, 20% of more is more. Still a minority.

I'm like that with Smash because the online is legitimately garbage and filled with literal 10 year old mexicans. I enjoy playing actual fighters online, yet if you look at the masses it's the opposite.

As opposed to clown fiestas for people who don't have anything timed to anything and you pull your wins out of a hat? The fuck are you even saying?

I'm saying GGPO appeals to those who are the human equivalent of macro buttons. You're playing footsies and then launching into a hit confirm and battering a piano roll of a combo.
The delay netcode fucks that up. However delay netcode means you can actually react to the opponent without them warping around and interrupting you because the host arbitrarily decides whose inputs get priority.

>extra service costs
>shit netcode
>shit online in general
>a lot of people are afraid to challenge themselves even though they'll never see or encounter opponents IRL
>fighting games are a lot of practice and repetition that wears off quickly unless you're really invested in the first place

Modern fighting games have ever increasing amounts of input lag to give the netcode plenty of frames to hide network lag in. They feel bad to play locally and online. It's no surprise only a small percentage of people will put up with it.

Probably the same reason only like 20-30% beat the first boss in a game.

I played KOFXIV competitively for a few months and never touched the online. I'm not a retard and would never buy a SNK game for the online. I bought it to train with a few friends and play at monthlies. I was the only guy who avoided online and I did the best despite having the worst execution and reactions.
Online for most fighters sucks. Fightcade, KI, and IJ2 are solid and you can learn a lot from online (AfroLegends learned ST on GGPO and got offline tournament 1st a lot), but even god netcode won't let you do some skills like top tier whiff punishing on reaction. I whiff punish, so I keep my online to a minimal unless I'm grinding setups, combos, blockstrings, oki, etc. on a rollback netcode game.

I'll be playing MK11 probably 40% online just for those reasons

Attached: tgxte7jbp1s21.jpg (697x733, 155K)

Delay netcode doesn't allow for reactions because you generally have an extra 5 frames of lag. Even when ArcSys games lie that there is only 1f of extra lag that is a damn lie. I'm guessing they add a default of maybe 3 frames of lag and then count any extra when you play.

Usually lag makes things way harder than they should. Moves that you are able to block normally you cant, and some moves become abusable.

It's pre-release HUD sadly

It appeals to people who don't live in the same geographic location. I get the feeling that you're struggling to even understand what you're saying.