Chaos EMERALDS

>Chaos EMERALDS
>Has brilliant/Diamond Cut.

Explain this plothole to me.

Attached: download.png (278x182, 3K)

i never understood either
aren't emeralds cut kind of squared

brilliant cut emeralds are a thing

They're called Chaos Emeralds not Normal Emeralds, jackass.

They're called CHAOS Emeralds for a reason.

I liked their original shapes from sonic 1-3

The emeralds have so much chaotic power that it warps their design.

They didn't always. In Sonic 1, 2, and 3 they had mirrored emerald cuts (you can even see this in Blue Spheres). You were always seeing them from the side. The Super Emeralds had the brilliant cuts. Chaos Emeralds didn't follow suit until Adventure.

Attached: 1496346721336.png (1366x768, 255K)

obviously some entinity cut the emeralds into diamond shapes

>In Sonic 1, 2, and 3 they had mirrored emerald cuts (you can even see this in Blue Spheres).
Where? Do you have a picture?

It looks like a round cut or brilliant cut to me.

Attached: f61dbd41d542c759ed1d398015cd92718948c757_hq.jpg (1024x560, 34K)

hmmm I think I see your point.

There's another king of emerald cut, apparently.

Attached: GettyImages-639403262-gemstone-cuts-shapes.jpg (1080x1119, 288K)

While their appearance in Sonic 1 through 3 is debatable, they definitely looked like diamonds in 3D Blast Saturn.

Attached: DD923EB4-2C38-4292-8CA7-CB5EEDB51458.png (1334x750, 1.56M)

They're chaos emeralds not order emeralds
Fuck your rules, neeeeeeeerd

In Blue Shpheres they look more like dodecahedrons. But it's a similar shape to the sprites in the main game. They're also blocky shapes in the SMS/GG games.

Sonic R as well, I believe. It seems the change stuck during the Saturn era, prior to Adventure.

Attached: 1503888427550.png (405x420, 7K)

Still it's different from the Squared Emerald cut, since it has 8 edges, the Chaos Emeralds have 6.

They use to look like this if that helps.

Attached: 54356543252352.png (221x228, 4K)

there is a lot of forms for gems tho

Attached: 101717334.jpg (877x500, 51K)

You're talking about the chaos emeralds?

I think it was a mega drive thing.

Yeah, looks like the Squared Emerald cut, but it still isn't. They should've retconned correctly with 8 edges.

That's a brilliant cut.

Attached: S3&KEmeraldChamber.png (624x224, 13K)

They changed the shape for reasons

Attached: RWq5y2e.png (1733x619, 126K)

Wait a minute. They actually used to be emeralds in Sonic 1!

It has 8 edges and it follows the squared emerald cut. Why did Sonic Team changed that?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

They were also emeralds in Sonic 3.

I think that the emeralds in Sonic 2 are a minor mistake in design. But they did change them in Sonic ADV/Saturn... strange.

Attached: 20100103145614!Chaos_Emeralds_Sonic_3.gif (320x224, 4K)

I bet the russian diamond merchants are responsible for this.

I guess one way of seeing it is that making them diamond shaped uses less resources than emerald shaped while also making them stand out far more from all other assets in the game.

I always thought they were seen from above.

yes, but they could've gone this route:
Collect Chaos Emerald in Sonic 3.
Power up the "Chaos Diamonds" in S&K.

That would've made more sense.

I think that's the idea now. But they follow the emerald cut.

They did go with that route, just instead of Chaos Diamonds they're called Super Emeralds.

Here's a picture with all of their designs.

Attached: d35195a22527c3f2b479893aef87e6a32600c101_00.jpg (320x224, 19K)

Yes, but calling the diamonds "emeralds" is wrong. Chaos Diamonds would actually be pretty cool.

Anyone know how they're called in japanese? Maybe it's a localization thing.

>calling the diamonds "emeralds" is wrong
This assumes that the chaos emeralds are diamonds in the first place, which they are not.

I meant, the Super Emeralds are clearly diamonds, they should've called it Chaos Diamonds.

It's clear that in Sonic 1, 2 and 3 they were emeralds. Sonic 2 design with 6 edges is probably a mistake.

I believe the confusion came from the fact that they didn't call the Super Emeralds of Chaos Diamonds.

>the Super Emeralds are clearly diamonds
But they're emeralds

Can someone explain Sonic to me? I've never played a Sonic game and I look at it as just a goofy children's game about a hedgehog going fast and defeating a cartoonishly evil villain. Is it actually way more complicated than that? I see all the pure unfiltered Sonic autism and I can't help but wonder why people take the story of a cartoon animal and think it's something a whole lot deeper.

Attached: 1530104518934.jpg (767x754, 56K)

They have diamond/brilliant cuts.

The only sonic games worth playing are Sonic 123KMania.

It's a great designed game that makes you play better in each run. The idea is go fast, not because Sonic is fast, but because you're good at the game.

3D Sonics are horrible, and is based in "gotta go fast" stuff. Lost the essencial Sonic design.

Play Sonic 3 Complete mod, it's the best one.

Attached: 1554447268603.png (600x664, 300K)

>They're cut like diamonds that means they must be diamonds

Yes.

If they were cut like, round, ball, Pampel or Heart they'd be: Chaos rounds, Chaos balls, Chaos Pamples and Chaos Hearts.

Attached: 1553822886025.gif (500x375, 10K)

Have a few lore bombs:
Dr. Eggman is a businessman, inventor, and industrialist that has become a household name. He uses his great success in selling goods and services to fund his other passion: the pursuit of power, building a private robotic military, and conquering nature. He wants the legendary chaos emeralds to power his machinery indefinitely for his envisioned utopia. What he wants is a global metropolis, a world with no nature left. He builds parks, cities, and factories all over islands untouched by man, decimating the environments and ecosystems of the islands. He captures small animals and uses them as living batteries for his machinery, it's quite gruesome. But he genuinely believes that what he's doing is for the good of humanity. And who better to lead humanity than the most brilliant mind on Earth?
Sonic is from a place called Christmas Island. He got his shoes and plane from Santa Claus. He likes going fast. He dislikes tears and the word "slow"
Knuckles likes grapes and he's not good at talking to girls.
Tails is a classic gearhead.
Fang the Sniper is a jerboa.

I loved the way they looked in Adventure.

Yes, you're correct, the minor inconsistencies in Sonic 2 cuts and the Blue Spheres cuts are just design flaws. They used to be Emeralds.

This image makes it clear: >Sonic is from a place called Christmas Island. He got his shoes and plane from Santa Claus. He likes going fast. He dislikes tears and the word "slow"
>Knuckles likes grapes and he's not good at talking to girls.
>Tails is a classic gearhead.
>Fang the Sniper is a jerboa.

You forgot that Sonic has a girlfriend called Madonna.

Aren't they called emeralds because of the material instead of the cut?

I don't think there're red or pink emeralds.

Also the Sol Emeralds have emerald cut.

I think that between Sonic 3/Saturn/Dreamcast Sonic Team got confused and thought that the Super Emeralds (that had Diamond cuts) were the actual emeralds. So they're diamonds that are being called emeralds.

They should've called the Super Emerald of Chaos Diamonds.

Attached: SRASol2.png (256x192, 9K)

I would assume this

I don't know man maybe it's the supernatural power inside them that gives them colors emeralds normally don't have

Supernatural emeralds of different colors and nonmatching gemcuts is somehow farfetched in a world with a blue hedgehogs and batwinged cats

Yeah, but they used to have the Emerald Cut. But you could argue that we're seen them from the top angle.

But the Super Emeralds when unpowered are like transparent or even common stone/concrete look.

I think that when unpowered they're just common stones. So it's probably the cut.

Attached: LREEF2-24.png (1280x720, 1.29M)

Or maybe, the Master Emerald is the one powering the other stones...

So it's probably an emerald with a diamond cut.

So anything powered by the Master Emerald is called emerald too, because their power come from this giant Emerald gem, that's cut like a diamond. That would make sense, since the Master Emerald is green, like a real emerald.