Discuss

Discuss

Attached: resolutiondiminishingreturns.jpg (800x478, 43K)

4k is a meme as most games merely upscale to reach it

t. poorfag

human eyes can only see up to 30 fps

I can easily afford a 4k display. They're not out of my price range.
I'll bother with it once more games start natively supporting it instead of just upscaling

>upscaling
Buy a PC.

I would put 1080p in the spot OP highlighted, the upgrade to 4k is honestly negligible

Bring on the plateau

Bring on the return of devs NEEDING to make good games with genuinely innovative gameplay to stand out instead of just flashy graphics

2k? also, why is resolution a power of 2? why is there no 1500x1500?

Beginning of the red circle is 720p end is 1080p and 4k is at right end of the line.

The most videogame fun of my life was a PS1 displaying 576 lines on crt @ 50 hz
(Pal)

Attached: kkKpS2u.png (276x361, 170K)

8k and the fringe, 16k exist. 16k is deep inside the crevices of techieland though.

>pal
based format

the human eye can't see pixels. It's all your brain interpolating color motions

What's 70mm

don't we see 0.1mm as a point? a point with only one color even.... hmmmmmm….. (obviously this varies, gramma can't see 0,1 and a sniper may see 0,05)

>Discuss
144Hz

I have 4k/60hz and 1080p/144hz,
I prefer 1080p/144hz.
it's 24in and i sit quite a ways away from my monitor, though. i still think 1080 looks plenty sharp enough.

Contrast.

My uncle sticks to opinion "720 is enough for TV gaming if you sit afar". The funny thing is that game of the current gen look as blurry as from old gen because of heavy post processing.

1440p/144hz is the way to go and better than 4k/60hz

Contrast. Washed out is gross.

most modern games support 4k wtf are you going on about?

The diminishing returns happen way before 4k. The upgrade from 720 to 1080 is way bigger but still hardly noticeable. It’s also completely pointless if you’re viewing something that isn’t broadcast/run/etc in that resolution natively since all you’re getting at that point is an upscale.

I need a new monitor, my current one is starting to rot a little (or whatever LCD decay is called) should I get 144Hz or 60Hz? I like pretty colors but my system is more than capable to run 144fps.

1080p with SSAA > 4k
There, I said it.

I think 1440 is the maximum resolution video games or movies need before any improvements in fidelity become imperceptible to even those with peak visual acuity, let alone average vision.

However, give me a huge 8k monitor for when I'm working. I need more screen real estate just to put stuff that is going to be static and needed at a glance.

The more resolutions needed to be supported, the more fucked up things get as everybody starts going off and fighting over standards like the format wars and port wars of the 80s, 90s and early 00s.
Maintaining a certain ratio and increasing by a specific multiplicative amount keeps things simple for everyone.

so a very mean manufacturer could use a custom resolution to make their gear less compatible with gear from others? Like Apple does with cables.

Yeah, so what?
If you don't care, be glad that the "inferior" monitors will drop in price.
Technology improving is never a bad thing.

Even right now there are people screeching because a game doesn't support ultrawide resolutions.

This. Everything past 720 has been completely marginal and anyone pretending otherwise is dumb as dirt.

>The upgrade from 720 to 1080 is way bigger
No it isn't you idiot.

I play flight sim, and I need 4K desperately
Too bad I live in third world country where I can’t simply afford monitor

I play flight sims, and I desperately need 4k. Too bad I live in a third world country where I can't afford a monitor.

an AK-47 costs less than a bread in bumfuckistan. an AK can get you a monitor!

Let's not get carried away. NTSC PS1 with scart connection was far superior image quality and framerate.

Yes it is you idiot

480p 30fps as god intended.

Human eyes can only see 1080p

Get an AK and hijack a plane.

1080p 60fps is all I need.

1080*1920 is 2.25 times larger than 720*1280
4k is four times the size of 1080p
Fucking retard.

2x2 = 4
4x4 = 16
1x1=1

see a pattern yet?

Attached: 8EADBA7B-CE6D-4B4F-AC27-3D61E9B8746D.jpg (800x478, 39K)