Why did MMOs die?

Why did MMOs die?

Attached: golden age of mmos.jpg (2238x1692, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCJSNowM62kC5tI2F3NXIi6A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No non instanced housing. Many of us just want our own plot of land to go home to at night after raiding. Arch age had the ability to save mmos but went full pay to win.

Because most people are casual carebear faggots.

City of heroes ;( It still hurts

They didn't learn to cater to normies like everyone else. Mmos need to be more intuitive and console-friendly, have more endorsement deals and advertising, and have more features that interact with social media. People are already learning to embrace mmo elements with shlooters and souls games without even knowing it, so an mom revival isn't too far-fetched, just gotta make some tweaks.

I remember I bought Guild Wars in high school because my friend told me how great it was, and how we could form our own group with our own banners and capes. I was big into FFXI but my PS2 died, and he assured me it was similar. What a bunch of shit. Guild Wars sucked.

There were good MMOs on consoles. FFXI and PSO

time grinds, and irritating organizational issues.

They aren't good games. Even the ones with unique concepts are still garbage at the core because they're all about grinds and stringing the player along.

the majority of people get their leveling dopamine fix, realize the game is bullshit, then either fuck off for MMOs or convince themselves whatever coming up next will be the real deal.

I like that in runescape. Makes me feel like I have my own slice of heaven where I can see all my trophies.

It's a small niche audience that are even willing to play MMO's in the first place, and most people only have the time or inclination to play one, so that audience is spread out. Then finally there's a slow bleed of players who leave the hobby without attracting new players who have moved on to MOBAS and Fortnite.

casuals and wymyn
dumb down mechanics and you'll see the same happening to other genres now.

Attached: 1546474749480.jpg (660x720, 161K)

Cause of MMOs like this. No company wants to take risks anymore. Even XIV which rebooted itself at a great risk to SE has made sure to stay complacent and play it safe even if it means never getting past 1mil subs.

Attached: Woof_Warmblood_BattleFantasy.jpg (1280x720, 163K)

Skinner's Box, people eventually find out they're being tricked and they're not actually having fun

they are outdated. The appeal of MMOs was a social thing plus a game on top of it, now that everything is connected due to the social media boom, all that's left is a game where you have to wait extra long to start anything due to queue times as well as devs trying to shit out half assed content to justify the monthly premium

It's a combination of a couple of things:
- less and less people are willing to pay for subs, either because they just don't want to spend the money or because of lots of F2Ps. That caused the deaths of some MMOs with sub model.
- lots of F2Ps, many are shitty as far as gameplay and/or content. Eventually, even some of the F2Ps followed the failed sub MMOs and died.
- those who play MMOs with MTX eventually get turned off by the nickel-and-diming, leading to their deaths.
- changes in games; may it be the "inclusion" initiatives, or gradual MTX inclusions, or decrease in quality and/or quantity of content drive people away.
- just burn out, especially if the game is too grindy.
- in the golden age of MMOs, those who played are often in their teens or are young adults. They are all adults now and have responsibilities that prohibit playing MMOs, and the new generation aren't as keen on MMOs as their predecessors - they're more into battle royales, mobile, casual, walking simulators, etc.
- MMOs weren't able to evolve as much as it would fundamentally change what it is.
If only tech got advanced soon enough that you can play a virtual reality MMO, which would've been the next evolution of MMOs, it would've continued to thrive. Maybe in the future.

Gacha mobage provides the grind cycle in a simpler way plus waifus.

average MMO player

Attached: skinner%20box.jpg (584x337, 137K)

MMOs died because there's not very much room on the market. People who play MMOs only tend to play one MMO. They also take tens of millions of dollars to make.

>those who play MMOs with MTX eventually get turned off by the nickel-and-diming, leading to their deaths.

Attached: FFXIV_Cash_Shop.jpg (5694x2214, 3.87M)

Because of WOW, it fundamentally started making MMO's seppeku by forcing them into the same shitty style/systems.
So they loose all appeal and play exactly the same.

Also not everyone has 100 hours to grind the same dungeon for mediocre Armour.

MMO's will never completely die and I honestly see them being more successful in the future when the learn to break away from the mold. Any series that has an adapted "MMO" version has done the same shit changes as every other, nothing is really new in them because so many faggots think certain things are the only things that define an mmo.

Because MMOs were garbage except for Ultima online

>They didn't learn to cater to normies like everyone else.
It's actually the other way around. Look at Blizzard. They went full normie catering, even to go as far as ban people for trash talk and banter. Only normies cry to devs about their feefees being hurt by terms like "L2P". All it did was alienate some of their loyal base that happens to be hardcore gamers who are into such things, which is now considered as "toxic". Funny thing is they've lost some fans and they've gained less in temporary consumers who left the game after a month, and "consumers" that didn't really paid and played their games.
>aka SJWs bitching about a game they have no intention of buying/paying and playing - Blizzard panders to those shitters for some fucking reason

FFXIV trannies are a different breed, they don't constitute the general consumer base

they were never alive. they never had soul. they were always a hollow shell built to accommodate a "revenue stream" rather than be a fully fledged game on their own.

Tibia had it but it died because MMOs are too grindy

Corporate greed

Wasn't always like that. There were MMOs that basically just asked enough money to keep the servers up (maintenance/upgrades) and gave the devs a decent salary, instead of trying to fleece their customers as much as possible to please investors.

>Planes of Power
Relevant, as that's where I felt like old EQ really started to die for me. Before that, Luclin was a thing, sure, and with everyone hanging out in Nexus/Bazaar and doing the new dungeons, the old world was emptying out, but it still wasn't a substantial difference til PoP, at least on Innoruuk server. Suddenly, it releases and everyone can fast travel everywhere with the PoK, everyone hangs out in the hub zone that everyone can get to obviously, and the old world is a fucking ghost town. I'd even say the genre as a whole started dying when it went from experiencing a new world with strangers and friends and just having fun to being all about optimal builds and endgame content.

He's referring to the models that make the nickel-and-diming more related to the gameplay mechanics and general quality of life shit - FF14 even with its massive cash shop is still limited almost entirely to cosmetic crap like costumes and mounts, with a couple level boosters being the only thing affecting actual gameplay.

But you probably knew that.

>defending a subscription based game with a MTX shop
>thinking just cause another game is worse with their nickle and diming that this absolves your weeb game

>unironically this, MMO devs have forgotten to treat their core audience as the hardcore, and build around that, instead they cast their nets wide and make retarded content like pet battles and collectables that appeals to waman and goober zoomers.
"The reason we build the game in that order is because you can easily come up with game design concepts or ideas or mechanics that are shallow and designed for a more casual, broad-market gamer - they're not going to put fifty-five hundred hours into a game, right? But we really want to make sure that we build in those features that have a lot of depth and a lot of replayability first, because we can always make that stuff much more accessible for someone that's not going to put in the same amount of hours." - Rob Pardo

Attached: pardo.png (496x382, 278K)

WoW game along, focused on a more mainstream and casual audience with simplified gameplay and stylized graphics. Dominated the market causing every other company to try and grab a piece of the pie leading to oversaturation of the market and multiple failures as most MMOs tried to be "WoW but with...."

Because 95% of MMOs are second jobs you have to pay for

>its just cosmetics
Aren't you paying a fee to even play the game outside of buying the game and expansions themselves?

everyone tried to copy WoW, and by the time their cashgrabs were ready to launch, WoW had already jumped off a cliff
the genre's literally nothing but clones of the expansion that killed the game they're trying to ape

It's "a" Skinner box, you pretentious retard. It's an idea, a fucking template. Not one particular item he's got lying around in his garage.

there was an article about CoH not too long ago
>Paragon Studios were working on City of Heroes 2 which would be a complete revamp of the game
>NC Soft basically gave them a blank check to do it because korean devs are hands-off as long as you give them reason to trust you
>apparently they didn't actually want to make CoH 2 they had their own idea in mind and were working on that the entire time all while asking NC Soft for more and more money
>NC eventually found out about the new game they're working on and promptly shut down the studio

They pad too much the content with useless timesinking grinds.

imo new mmos should requiere less time investmen, have more challenging content and more rewarding combat systems. Too bad thats not what makes the most money, so is a big nono for the investors

The gaming audience moved on from the following things:
>Repetitive hotbar combat.
>Gathering 10 buzzard ears.
>Grinding for weeks.
>Doing the same content over and over.
>Having to organize 20-40 people and set aside large time commitments every week.
>Care bear PVP.

Develop an MMO with FPS/TPS/action combat that centers on dynamic, challenging combat and PVP, rather than static raids and make-work questing and grinding and you will suddenly find that MMOs are popular again. Hell, survival games are 3/4s mmo and they're insanely popular given how most of Z grade indie games.

Low income players either priced out or unable to dedicate too much time to play as they spend too much time wage slaving, and the improvement of social networking and and the internet in general increasing player awareness of how far down the mountain they are compared to the hardcore neets ruining whatever enjoyment they might have had.

Access to guides on literally everything have engendered a new type of hardcore player, as well has raised the over all skill ceiling for MMOs as players nowadays are far more savvy about game mechanics and are able to perform on a level that was much higher than the average max level player in say, WoW vanilla - so boss fights now are beatmania games with 5 times as many mechanics for a generic dungeon boss than top tier content back in the early 2000s.

It really just goes on - essentially people got too good at the games and technology somewhat ruined it for people.

soon brother youtube.com/channel/UCJSNowM62kC5tI2F3NXIi6A
soon

Being able to read guides is only meaningful because MMO bosses have extremely rudimentary AI and behaviors and are designed so that any given person in the group or raid will know prior to starting where they need to be, what they need to do, etc.
The closest thing to the 'unexpected' in an mmo boss fight is who gets the explosive debuff or where the fire pools spawn.

Remove that total predictability and guides no longer matter; however that can't happen, since individual player skill and intelligence would taking the front seat, which is unlikely to fly with hardcore raiders.