Why do western devs keep rehashing this boring combat system?

Why do western devs keep rehashing this boring combat system?

Attached: 70a.jpg (1600x1200, 1.52M)

Because it's sort of a rythm game.
You need to press buttons with a certain timing in sequence based on the cues you see, or you get punished.
This is addicting, and easy to execute.

The interesting thing is that From is doing a very similiar thing with Sekiro, but the difference is that you don't teleport from enemy to enemy by default and the timing is more strict.
So you have to pay attention to positioning, the punishment for fucking up is harsher etc.

Essentially a brainlet will think that what western devs and jap devs are doing is completely different, but in reality they're reaching an endpoint that functions similiarly, in theory, between the two.
But what changes, and the reason why it feels so different to play one or the other, is the EXECUTION of this idea.

Attached: Sekiro-Header-03.jpg (1920x1080, 554K)

So that they don't have to design their own.

>Bamham
>Mad Max
>Shadow of Mordor
>Ghosts of Tsushima
What else?

easy to learn hard to master

People who wear suits and ties make the big decisions. Unfortunately for us, those same people don't have the time or desire to play video games. We may see mechanics that are boring and repetitive, but they see mechanics that are functional and efficient. So as people who are primarily focused on profit, it makes complete sense that they keep reusing what already works.

As much as spamming single button and occasionally pressing another one is rather dull; it lets the player focus on what's going on the screen i.e. the choreography which in bamham games is really good.

The Witcher 3
Actually Feel Like Spiderman

Easy to learn easy to master.

This. Until people stop buying it, they have no reason to develop something new.

consider that arkham games are a mix of that combat and stealth
so any other combat system will not work well

once there are other enemies(shield,big guy,armed...) it becomes really fun

Because western games fall into 2 camps now, shitty multiplayer Skinner boxes, or single player games chasing the success of Sony's shitty "cinematic" approach. There's seemingly no interest in the west for making single player "gameplay driven" games.

Attached: this is the world you chose.png (1080x1277, 930K)

play more games weebtard

It's called Nintendo.

Why did Japanese and Western Devs copy and paste the combat from God of War for the entire 7th Gen? Why did every FPS need to have green, brown, and be war themed last Gen? Do you really not know the answer to this shit?

Attached: 6d74f5b9c5579ab7c40e9f231cd7264b.png (500x668, 212K)

I hope they use this system in that new Star Wars game they are showing off tomorrow.

Attached: Capture.jpg (516x508, 33K)

Because it's easy, simple to understand and makes the player feel like a "badass".
You have to understand that the average normalfag doesn't care in the slightest about good gameplay, deep mechanics, challenging yet rewarding gameplay, they just want to feel certain things when they play games and that's about it.
If you make things deep they might not get them, if you make it challenging they blame the game, if you make a well thought balanced game they all just read a walkthrough to give them the most OP class, it's all wasted on normalfags/casuals.
So AAA devs know that their player base is not intelligent nor competent so their games perfectly reflect who they are aimed at.

Attached: 13548646435.jpg (480x360, 15K)

>inspired by sekiro
i wish it was similar to jedi accademi

The existence of the handful of western studios Nintendo owns doesn't change my point that western studios in general aren't interested in gameplay focus anymore. Only notable other one I can think of are id.

I think the system was novel back in the day as well, but in the context of modern games it looks like hokey random flailing, with the characters tilting back and forth as they try to strafe around each other. That kind of character movement just looks weird these days.

they should upgrade him
i don't want to play sekiro with a different skin

I think you may be belittling players a bit. I’m sure many players/devs actually do care about having ‘good’ gameplay, but they just don’t know any better. They think that their Batman combat is actually good, to the point where they want all their games to have that sort of combat.

Batman combat is perfectly fine for what it is, for casual players who are looking for a stress free experience. Who’s to say that every single game with melee combat needs to be as complex as Bayonetta or similar games? Many players though, aren’t willing to go out of their comfort zone and play games with actual mechanical/technical depth. This is where the real problem lies.

and by the way

construction of situation around gameplay>gameplay

Hold my beer

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 20K)

>You need to press buttons with a certain timing in sequence based on the cues you see
yeah or just mash the button

Whatever the case, I wouldn’t expect Sekiro combat, despite the rumors. It’s a western developed game, so it will be simpler and more cinematic compared to the pure gameplay that only the people of Nihon can produce.

>Why did Japanese and Western Devs copy and paste the combat from God of War for the entire 7th Gen?
what?

>Why did Japanese and Western Devs copy and paste the combat from God of War for the entire 7th Gen?

Didn't Devil May Cry do it first?