FPS brainlet here, is Baldur's Gate too complex to get into for some one not familiar w these types of RPGs?

FPS brainlet here, is Baldur's Gate too complex to get into for some one not familiar w these types of RPGs?

Attached: Capture.png (1047x864, 622K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278
youtube.com/watch?v=T1Nykaogn7w
youtube.com/watch?v=JRIw7VUCmpk
notra.fr/portrait
youtube.com/watch?v=5GCSWEgZT94
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Enhanced Edition
It's too faggy for someone not sucking cocks on a daily basis, that's for sure.

I'd say look up a short video explaining dnd 3.5 rules and you'll be good to go.
Also don't listen to the one guy who always complains about EE, the only shit the devs ruined was a new optional post game expansion. Just dont touch that and you're golden.

it's very complex until you learn all of the bullshit traps than can fuck you over, but then it's braindead easy

user, these games were designed for kids and young teenagers. If you don't believe you can keep up with a game most of its original players accomplished easily when they were 10, then I don't know what to say.

RtWP games are for brainlets

it's based on an archaic counter-intuitive tabletop system where the negative numbers = good, positive numbers = bad, so yes it'd be pretty hard to grasp. The UI is also clunky shit by modern standards, the story isnt that great and the EE is shit in general with its UI design reworks and new characters.

it's 2nd AD&D, not 3e.

>the only shit the devs ruined was
nigger they removed the fucking pre-rendered cutscenes

THE PRE-RENDERED CUTSCENES

"Enhnaced" changed a MASSIVE amount of things in BG1 and most of it is NOT worth the end result. OP should pirate the original unaltered BG, and get the real experience from when the game was released.
THEN go through the process of finding the real modification that ported the BG1 content to the BG2 engine.
"BG1:Tutu" (to two) or something

baldur's gate is rtwp done right, stop eating shit

get the gog version

Basic Baldur's Gate difficulty was designed so even people who lacked autistic knowledge of AD&D systems could plow through it even with suboptimal team compositions.
It was only when you began applying difficulty mods like Tactics that you had encounters that were absolutely designed around autistic metagaming.

why, it's not on sale, does it give anything else?

OP, personal opinion here, as much as I love the original Baldurs Gate, you'd likely be better served if you wanted to start the Infinity Engine RPGs with either going right to Baldurs Gate 2 or Planescape Torment.

Baldurs Gate 1 has very... Random... Combat compared to the others, especially early game where you might have 8hp. The engine uses virtual dice rolls just like a tabletop game so your success or failure early on is literally just a toss of the dice.

Planescape Torment is a good place to start because it emphasizes the combat system considerably less and has an absolutely great story. Seriously it holds up well, I replayed it last year. The graphics also hold up for that one because the setting is so alien. It's also got lots a interesting bits of lore all throughout the world if you take your time. Quests open up or are cut off if you kill somebody or answer questions one way or another.

Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal are decent entries too. Updated graphics and combat engine and you start with more abilities so the randomness is less irritating on spellcasts and melee.

FYI, only play Icewind Dale 1 if you learn to love the combat, because thsts all IWD1 is.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 204K)

Gives a copy of the original as well. It's nice to have if you ever want to go back and see what the game was like originally for a better perspective on the genre. Otherwise EE is fine.

Isn't Icewind dale the game that most guides start with "Cheat in 3 levels to your main character before starting"?

>"BG1:Tutu" (to two) or something
There's also Baldur's Gate Trilogy, although I don't remember the difference. BGT is definitely on the newer iteration of the Infinity Engine, the one used for BG2.

hmm I always hear more praise of baldurs gate than planescape tourment, but lots of people swear by planescape too, it plays basically the same with party members right? Do you still have wacky spells to annihilate entire rooms with?

there is no right way to do rtwp

>The UI is also clunky shit by modern standards
What's bad about the UI?

Play Planescape Torment instead. The story is better, which is possibly the most important thing about these text-reading adventures.

Attached: 1550708666621.jpg (1303x856, 517K)

>text-reading adventures.
None of the Infinity Engine games are focused on story (besides Planescape Torment obviously)

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

6. warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278

Attached: beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

it's a shitty outdated game, just let it go man

There is but not for RPGs. It should be reserved for RTS.

UFO: Aftershock and the sequels.

planescape is a point and click adventure that was developed as a rpg as a joke. it has spells but there's no reason to ever use them since your character has super stats and can easily punch everything to death. which is good because there's barely any weapons to equip.

>have to right click abilities to learn what they do instead of using tooltips
>ability descriptions have the essential info muddled in between a 5 line paragraph long text instead of just being straight to the point
>ability icons are fucking terrible making distinguishing different abilities a struggle for someone starting out
>shortcut system is extremely archaic
>spell list doesnt support mouse wheel scrolling, forcing you to click the arrows at the side to scroll

>FPS brainlet here, is Baldur's Gate too complex to get into for some one not familiar w these types of RPGs?

Baldurs gate was literally the first RPG i bought on my own.
That was in 1998. I was 10 back then.
I remember finally finishing it the week before christmas the year BG2 came out (which was my christmas present then)

If you can't play Baldurs Gate, you are literally more retarded than a 13 year old kid.
And I still don't know D&D rules.

Attached: 1483485925736.png (399x322, 42K)

Ignore the faggot, he posts this in every single thread related to beam dog, baldurs gate or not.

Basically don't touch Dragonspear and you'll have a good time.

DA:O works rather well.

They're all dialogue heavy is what I'm getting at. The quests and premise for BG games is so weak and generic. It's just classic Dragon Slaying, dungeon crawling shit that's been done over hundreds of times.
I love these games, but the combat in all of them is shit. The only reason to play is the story and maybe some weak RP elements. Which is a shame, because RP is what these games are supposed to be about.

not for the bigger battles
and DA:O is just a shit game, extremely generic and as clihcé as possible, not even worth touching

>yfw all those counter-spells to specific spells and to this day you're not sure what the fuck the difference was between dispel magic, ruby ray of reversal and the other one that also dispelled
I think it was based on which order they dispelled in...

stop parroting shit you see in PoE threads and go play the IE games you stupid fucking zoomer
it's a great combination of action and strategy that Baldur's Gate manages to pull off very well

>ability descriptions have the essential info muddled in between a 5 line paragraph long text instead of just being straight to the point
this shit is aggravating as fuck. I don't need to know the lore behind a fireball spell. just tell me what the fuck it does
>lists like 10 different debuffs and damage types
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Not with all those gay animations.

So how is Icewind Dale:EE?

I'm currently playing IWD2, but even with mods its a pain on modern systems.

Enhanced editions as well, as I don't think anyone's bothered to port the huge bug fix/cut content mods over yet.

I don't know about that. But Icewind Dale has a very thin story. The vast bulk of your playtime will be positioning your party in turn based combat and trying to keep your healers and assorted squishies away from the ogres or trolls (ps fire or acid damage weapons are your friends)

Don't get me wrong, I like both icewind Dale games but they're easily the weakest as far as epic stories.

Baldurs Gate 2 and the Throne of Bhaal expansion really are great, either that or Planescape are the best in the series. It depends one what you prefer, BG tells at least at first a more traditional RPG story (until late in the game where youre a level 20 demon summoning Godling assassinating the other Children of the God of Murder)

Planescape in contrast is set in another universe with very little traditional surroundings. The plot also heavily revolves around a war between faiths and philosophies. Your main character is trying to remember who he is despite being thousands of years old, so it gives the game a unique vibe where everyone knows all about who you once were in various past lives except you. It's kind of like Memento if you've ever seen that movie.

Attached: images (14).jpg (201x250, 13K)

Try the classic fallout games, you may will enjoy 1 & 2 better than BD.

>not for the bigger battles
Even without modded in-game "scripting" I only needed to pause the game about half a dozen times in big battles.

>and DA:O is just a shit game, extremely generic and as clihcé as possible, not even worth touching
It's sufficient to defeat your argument, though. Replacing the different story, characters and everything else to match your preferences won't change game mechanics.

>DA:O works rather well.

Zoomer detected. DA:O combat is just baldur's gate combat with a clunky camera, less complexity, fewer party members and not even a fraction of the spell variety of the baldur's gate games. How does it 'work rather well'?

Attached: 1549152541649.jpg (1200x1386, 118K)

Attached: 16ft_x_7ft_FORZA_Match_Football_Goal_Post.jpg (2560x2562, 600K)

>It's sufficient to defeat your argument, though. Replacing the different story, characters and everything else to match your preferences won't change game mechanics.
i know, that's why DA:O is irredeemable. to fix that game involves making changes that would stop it from being DA:O.

>A Fireball is an explosive burst of flame, which detonates with a low roar and delivers damage proportional to the level of the wizard who cast it—1d6 points of damage for each level of experience of the caster (up to a maximum of 10d6). The wizard points finger and speaks the range (distance and height) at which the Fireball is to burst. A streak flashes from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range, blossoms into the fireball (an early impact results in an early detonation). Creatures failing their Saving Throws each suffer full damage from the blast. Those who roll successful Saving Throws manage to dodge, fall flat, or roll aside, each receiving half.

the descriptions ARE wordy but they are very specific,straight forward,and easy to understand, sorry you're a retard

>>have to right click abilities to learn what they do instead of using tooltips
>ability icons are fucking terrible making distinguishing different abilities a struggle for someone starting out
These 'issues' stop being issues as soon as you examine the ability for the first time.

>shortcut system is extremely archaic
In what way?

Can you play baldurs gate 2 wo 1?

Because it isn't using AD&D as it's base for gameplay. Baldur's Gate is a great game but also an utter mess because of that.

I wish this Baldur's Gate game was on Steam with online co-op

Attached: Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance.webm (640x480, 1.69M)

For the most part yeah. You only really need to know a few plot points going into 2, and the only thing that's brought over from 1 is your MC stats.

Are you retarded? The animations are only a problem because the game runs on RTWP.

>Because it isn't using AD&D as it's base for gameplay.
Yeah, it instead uses cooldowns, taunts and other MMO mechanics. In a fucking single-player RPG.

How is that better than D&D?

Attached: 19243893112.jpg (800x450, 43K)

It's perfectly fine for a quaint, generic swords&sorcery fairytale. With even a few uncommon takes, like the Fade and the overall grim tone. Not just the darskpawn and all that, but how everything feels depressive and, I suppose, life-like.
But the post I was replying was
>There is but not for RPGs. It should be reserved for RTS.
which was itself a reply to
>>there is no right way to do rtwp
So I don't really understand why we are getting into finer points of TheDragonAgeSetting being way too generic for its own good, "The Maker" being glaringly unoriginal and the like.

relax autist, I wasn't giving a specific example from memory. the fact that you looked that up is pathetic. now I have to look something up to show how retarded you are
>tfw a wiki has to create a table to explain what a spell does
yeah I know, it's not BG. also nothing wrong with chromatic orb; it's just annoying to understand which spells are worthwhile and which ones a dogshit at a glace or if you're new to the game.

Attached: Capture.png (582x451, 27K)

>complex
Not exactly.
The problem is that the rules are very ... artisan-ish.
That mean there is a lot of clunky mechanics, some that don't make any except for one particular case, and the overall system as a bad case of "is +1 a bonus or a malus for this stat ?". Also some stuff look super important but actually aren't (looking at you, weapon speed).

The advantage is that the magic system actually feel like something assembled by old insane wizards trying random shit and sharing the combinations that didn't kill them - unlike modern magic system that feel way too clean and "proper engineering with logical upgrades and covering" for a medieval fantasy setting.

Attached: Learn ALL The Spells.jpg (1060x771, 386K)

because that user is right. there is no right way to do rtwp. DA:O's rtwp becomes a clusterfuck the moment you have bigger battles where it's impossible to keep track of debuffs on enemies and have the fluid combat. it's a system that works against the games it's on every single time.

funny part is that it tries to solve a problem in turn based systems that was solved 15 years ago when ToEE implemented "concurrent enemy turns" option, but no one noticed.

Yeah, honestly just a short synopsis of BG1 is all you need to be up to speed in BG2. BG1 wasn't super complex plot wise and can be summed up in 2 paragraphs or less.

Still a good game though don't get me wrong

>because that user is right. there is no right way to do rtwp. DA:O's rtwp becomes a clusterfuck
Why are you using DA:O as some pinnacle of RTwP, when its implementation of RTwP is inferior to Baldur's Gate?

>funny part is that it tries to solve a problem in turn based systems that was solved 15 years ago when ToEE implemented "concurrent enemy turns" option, but no one noticed.
What are you even talking about? ToEE is a turn-based game, how is that relevant to RtwP?

Because those make for fun encounters? Way better than trying to shoehorn in something like vancian casting with a rest button.

As long as you take your time and don't try to play it like a Diablo game, you'll do just fine. Try to find the original release, and the same of the sequel and expansion. There's a mod that makes them function on modern machines perfectly fine and even combines all 3 games' stories into one huge fucking adventure.

Baldurs gate is a modified D&D 2nd edition ruleset, not 3.5.
THACO doesn't exist in 3rd.
Lower AC = better isn't in 3rd either.

>duh why u bring up dao???
Jesus Christ try to follow along you fucking moron.

>Why are you using DA:O as some pinnacle of RTwP, when its implementation of RTwP is inferior to Baldur's Gate?
??? im not, im the guy saying DA:O is a shit game and its implementation of RTWP is awful

>What are you even talking about? ToEE is a turn-based game, how is that relevant to RtwP?
Advocates of RtwP present the system as a solution to the slow pacing of turn-based systems for trash encounters. ToEE solved this problem, despite no turn-based developer adopting its solution, making RtwP obsolete.

No, it's not. You just have to keep in mind that lots of stats get lower as they get better. This applies to THAC0 (To-Hit-Armor-Class-0), Armor Class and Saving Throws.
So don't get confused if your base THAC0 is 20 and got lowered because you wield weapon you are proficient with. The lower it is - the better.
Also whole THAC0 is very simple.
Imagine that every attack is a dice roll d20.
THAC0 means what roll you would have to hit for enemy with Armor Class 0. Base Armor Class is 10 but it can drop below 0.
Your Fighter has THAC0 15.
Your opponent has AC 5.
This means that THAC0 - AC = minimum roll on which hit occurs. In this case 10.
Just get prepared that level 1 characters in BG1 die very easily. For first 2-3 levels it's the best to get ranged characters and kite enemies.

I think a better starting place would be dragon Age Origins. Don't worry about the second one or inquisition because they are completely different games.

Also Divinity Original Sin. Especially the second one. Interesting to see what other people's thoughts are. Remember OP said FPS brainlet so it has to be something entry level.

Also Dark Souls lol

Original is included in Enhanced. Play original with HD mods. Enhanced is poorly written SJW fanfiction.

>Because those make for fun encounters?
Except they don't. Dragon Age: Irigins doesn't even have a fraction of the spell variety of Baldur's Gate games, and combined with the dumb MMO mechanics, the result is something vastly inferior to Baldur's Gate.

>Way better than trying to shoehorn in something like vancian casting with a rest button.
God forbid you have to consider what spells to use in a certain situation instead of mindlessly spamming them like in some MMO.

I played all the bg games, a couple hours of iwd, a lot of nwn2, most of pillars of eternity, and like half of pathfinder kingmaker. rtwp is fundamentally shit. it is a shit combination of action and strategy that fais to have any good aspects of either one. the interface is too shitty and characters are too unresponsive to play like an action game, and movement and distances are too imprecise to play like a strategy game.

I've played DAO so not thaaat much of an fps brainlet, but DAO was pretty simple, baldurs gate magic choices in comparison..

>1d6 points of damage for each level of experience of the caster (up to a maximum of 10d6).
>Creatures failing their Saving Throws each suffer full damage from the blast. Those who roll successful Saving Throws manage to dodge, fall flat, or roll aside, each receiving half.
these are the only parts of the description that matter to gameplay. instead of putting them in a seperate part of the description they are mixed in with the non-gameplay wording.

>Advocates of RtwP present the system as a solution to the slow pacing of turn-based systems for trash encounters.
Who are these advocates? The distinguishing factor of RTwP is the simultaneous aspect, which completely changes how you approach combat compared to a turn-based game (e.g. you can interrupt a spellcaster mid-cast, or run out of an area of effect zone

>ToEE solved this problem
Plenty of turn-based game have very fast animation sliders. Also, ToEE's approach doesn't work for everything. What if every enemy uses a different ability or spell, you can't really solve that with concurrent enemy turn.

He's not , I just gave up. This thread is a tragedy of misunderstandings and hasty, superfluous reads.

How come no one criticizes Kotor's Rtwp?

>Who are these advocates? The distinguishing factor of RTwP is the simultaneous aspect, which completely changes how you approach combat compared to a turn-based game (e.g. you can interrupt a spellcaster mid-cast, or run out of an area of effect zone
did you forget the polls that Numenera had where the devs asked the community if combat should be TB or RtwP? Same debate was had over PoE.

>Plenty of turn-based game have very fast animation sliders. Also, ToEE's approach doesn't work for everything. What if every enemy uses a different ability or spell, you can't really solve that with concurrent enemy turn.
This literally happened in ToEE, the system worked. It obviously could use some tweaks but it's the correct starting point to fixing the problem.

>The distinguishing factor of RTwP is the simultaneous aspect, which completely changes how you approach combat compared to a turn-based game (e.g. you can interrupt a spellcaster mid-cast, or run out of an area of effect zone
This isn't exclusive to RTwP, it's possible in TB games as well. All you have to do is have a magic system where spells take rounds to cast instead of being instant cast, just like D&D itself does.

Because the gameplay was too simple and easy to really NEED to pause so a lot of people probably played through without doing so.

I miss my doublehammer wielding fighter/cleric dwarf.

'cause it's easier to accept RtwP in a game that doesn't even pretend to have tactical combat so you rarely pause. KotOR's gameplay is pretty shit anyway.

read the manual

go to the friendly arm inn

then go to the damn mines, which is the tutorial dungeon.

>This isn't exclusive to RTwP, it's possible in TB games as well.
Not in any way that utilizes the real-time aspect, because actions are still split into turns. In an RTwP game you can put up a protective barrier while a projectile is heading towards you mid-flight. You can't replicate that sort of thing in turn-based games.

You may prefer TB, but it doesn't make RtwP obsolete in any way.

Stop referencing "MMO mechanics" like it's some boogey man. Ability cooldowns are just a real-time RPG mechanic and has nothing specific to MMOs about them.

>God forbid you have to consider what spells to use in a certain situation instead of mindlessly spamming them like in some MMO.

Bro don't pretend like 90% of the spell book isn't fucking chaff and that the rest system doesn't also completely break it. Stuff like that is specifically what I'm talking about when I say AD&D makes the game a complete mess.

>tfw played for 50 hours back in november
>got maybe half way through the main story but for some reason gave up

I was really enjoying it, I dunno why I dropped it, but I can never get back into games that I drop half way

fucking shit nigger

>fat finger with snail reactions tries again

Projectiles now take turns to travel to their destination. Easy.

>In an RTwP game you can put up a protective barrier while a projectile is heading towards you mid-flight. You can't replicate that sort of thing in turn-based games.
But you can. The end result is the exact same. Only thing that changes is that TB wouldn't rely on the player's reaction time to pause when the projectile is mid flight to cast the spell.

>RTWP
>bad
If a fight is easy, it doesn't take forever. If a fight is hard, you can take as long as you want. RTWP is just letting you choose between turn-based and real time without being a slog or a pain.

based beammutt basher

>Stop referencing "MMO mechanics" like it's some boogey man. Ability cooldowns are just a real-time RPG mechanic and has nothing specific to MMOs about them.
Ability cooldowns only started being implemented in single-player games after MMO's popularized them, you mongoloid.

Can you name a single-player RPG from before the 2000's that had cooldowns?

>Bro don't pretend like 90% of the spell book isn't fucking chaff
The vast majority of spells in Baldur's Gate scale with your level and remain useful throughout the game. Try playing the games before spewing nonsense about them.

>In an RTwP game you can put up a protective barrier while a projectile is heading towards you mid-flight.
Is there a game that allows you to actually do this? From what I remember in BG most every spell required an incantation that was almost always longer than a ranged attack. IIRC there were counterspells in the game, but that could easily translate to a TB mode.

that problem has already been solved by ToEE. read the thread.

>Projectiles now take turns to travel to their destination. Easy.
That would be absurd. It would mean a projectile would have the same movement speed as a character walking. Why would you want a game to function like that?

Why in the world would you assume projectiles would move at the same rate as characters?

Op Dont listen to
Or anyone who says read or watch a tutorial

BG1
Just make a half orc fighter
Min max for 19 strength and 18 constitution
Pick two handed weapon mastery
Get a big fucking sword
Face roll the game while learning mechanics (you will still struggle at the start)
Then when you beat the game and understand it make a more fun RP character in BG2

Also ice wind Dal is better
Also Pathfinder king maker is best

t.32 year old boomer

Attached: pup.jpg (960x960, 108K)

Nah. I've seen some pretty slow people get into games like Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment, and the original Fallouts. They did just fine.

>In an RTwP game you can put up a protective barrier while a projectile is heading towards you mid-flight.
this is literally a lie. you can't even kite melee attacks in rtwp.

>Why in the world would you assume projectiles would move at the same rate as characters?
You said:
>Projectiles now take turns to travel to their destination. Easy.

That would require a projectile to take at least 1 turn to reach their target. In turn-based games, it's very much possible for a character to be able to move to their intended target within one turn.

>you can't even kite melee attacks in rtwp.
Pleb detected. You can kite melee attacks incredibly easy in the Infinity Engine games, so much so that the lead designer of Pillars of Eternity implemented a shitty engagement system to prevent players from doing that in his game.

if the fight is hard you have to pause more often than if the game was simply turn based. rtwp is only an advantage if most fights are trivial, in which case the game has shit enounter design.

I'm 20 hours in, at the Nashkel Mines, last level and im stuck.

I chose to be a wizard or whatever, was this a bad choice for my first play through?
I seem to have hit a wall.

>all turn based games are the same
You're retarded.

>if the fight is hard you have to pause more often than if the game was simply turn based.

>turn-based game where game is paused while you choose what to do = good
>rtwp game where you can pause while choosing what to do = bad

Attached: 1552492891652.png (800x729, 48K)

>In turn-based games
You two niggers are talking about a hypothetical videogame.

Awesome. Well Divinity Orignial Sin 2 doesn't have the most complex spells as such but the elements all interact with each other which makes the possible combos endless. i.e. poison cloud being set on fire, rain to extinguish fires, oil barrels, steam clouds which block vision, etc etc. Its a decent step up from DAO

What part specifically?
Can you reload?

If so reload and level up a bit more.

Wizards are pretty easy honestly but you could have ruined your character if you chose bad stats

It'd be better if you were mage/anything. 2.0 dnd heavily favors dual/multiclassing

stop lying you faggot. if your character is in melee range at the start of the real time "turn" the attack is gauranteed to hit even if you move away before the animation connects. this is true for every rtwp game I have played. you cannot play a rtwp game like warcraft 3.

>You're retarded.
No, you're retarded. You came up with some silly solution ("Projectiles now take turns to travel to their destination."), but you didn't think it through in the slightest. I pointed out the flaw in your logic, and now you call me retarded. Real mature.

Like I said, the simultaneous aspect of RTwP can't be replicated with turn-based. Why would you be in denial about this, when the entire point of turn-based system is to ABSTRACT things?

Thac0 is wacko

You've never played Baldur's Gate, have you?

Here is a video showcasing kiting: youtube.com/watch?v=T1Nykaogn7w

in a rtwp game even with auto-pause set to the minimum playable settings you will be pausing every 6 seconds. if you are trying to micromanage it can easily be every 3 seconds.

>this is true for every rtwp game I have played.
In an attack round in Pathfinder characters are throwing out 4-6 attacks per round, and with pretty much any buff to your base speed you can avoid at least one of those attacks.

No. But don't buy the Enhanced Edition. Pirate the OG games and then install BGT or TuTu.

Attached: Baldur's gate is difficult.webm (900x600, 1.71M)

You're just embarrassing yourself now. There are dozens of turn based games where the characters are slow enough and/or the battlefields are big enough that it can take more than one turn to reach a target.

Attached: 20181210021905_1.jpg (1920x1080, 249K)

retard. try doing that with a single character like you would in dota. it doesn't work.

Never change, user.

Try something that's purely turn-based like Divinity Original Sin or the older Fallouts. The spacebar-pause combat in these bioware RPGs were meant to make these DnD simulators more "action-y" but do a really bad job of it.

Party members barely follow your issued commands and because it's real time, there's no intelligence to the AI. The tactical aspect of the combat is lost and everything looks confused like lemmings stuck in a box.

The action-y part fails as well since you cannot perform actions while moving (because it's simulating dnd rules).

Most ironic of all is how Yea Forums's favorite bioware RPG, Planescape Torment, totally makes the combat irrelevant.

There are numerous ways that his implied system could work though, such as ranged attacks have such an amount of speed per turn and if a character's speed doesn't surpass it, they're hit.

>Yea Forums's favorite bioware RPG, Planescape Torment
uhh

Thanks for picking the most ridiculous explanation

>wizard
>Ever hitting a wall
You could probably beat the game as a level 1 wizard. Use scrolls nigger. Crowd control beats damage in earlier iterations of D&D. Sleep, root, web, hell even color spray or stinking cloud, all these are much more superior to being able to deal 5 damage.

Right before the last bit thats surrounded by water.
I can reload.

How fucked am i

Attached: giveittomestraightdoc.png (792x559, 505K)

I don't think it is that hard
I beat 1 and 2 recently using mostly martial characters, I myself being a pure berserker fighter included and I played on hard difficulty

>13 int
reroll

You start with Oil of Speed on Imoen as soon as the game begins. Later you get haste or boots of speed. You can and should do it on a solo character.

imagine you have a ranger who can attack every 2 seconds. in a real real time game like warcraft 3 you would be able to move for 2 seconds, attack, move for 2 more seconds, attack, move for 2 more seconds, attack, and so on. in a real time with pause game you will tell your character to move away and then attack and he will stop moving and stand there like an idiot until it's his "turn" to start attacking again.

Attached: 1525114470326.png (400x416, 92K)

>Ability cooldowns only started being implemented in single-player games after MMO's popularized them, you mongoloid.

So what? Even if MMOs popularized the mechanic it's clearly not inherent to them just based on the fact we see it in games that aren't MMOs. And even games that were around with Baldur's Gate most of them didn't try to emulate vancian casting because it's fucking stupid for a computer game. They just used the simple mana bar approach.

>13 int
Sorry, bud, it's terminal. Wizards should always have 18 int in earlier D&D, no negotiation. You can choose 17 initially because you'll have an opportunity to get 1 in each stat later (and because having 19 int is not going to do you any good because multipliers are applied only per 2 of each stat with the exception of carry weight for strength). Wisdom and Charisma can be your dump stats. Strength is moderately important, but Dex and Con should be high too as the former gives armor and latter health.

>So what? Even if MMOs popularized the mechanic it's clearly not inherent to them just based on the fact we see it in games that aren't MMOs
Every single game that had them was a tremendous bore and lacked severely in variety. You have no idea just how much harm was done to Spellforce 2 by having those shit mmo mechanics introduced into it with shit like "Won't affect creatures over level xx" or "Taunt" mechanics.

ToEE solved turn-based, but it isn't necessarily better than RTWP.

woah yeah 13 int is really low just re roll.

If you dont want to go full retard warrior you can rogue/thief is very fun you just need to spend more time setting up for encounters but it is pretty simple

Ranger is also a really good choice if not better than half orc skull fucker

Kino character art btw

Great, well that sucks.
But thats for the info, looks like im gonna start again.

Might just choose an easy fighter one for my first play through.

RTWP automatically sucks so yes it is.

Also i dont know what party comp you are using but i find anything more than 4 will end up screwing you over

I prefer 3 or 4 5 absolute max

>Kino character art btw

T-thanks.
It's the Faces of Good and Evil dlc

Absolute shit advice. There's more than enough XP to max out a full party.

>all that preparation for a 1400xp mark

Attached: Pathetic.jpg (800x450, 36K)

Party is full at 6 :/, i will take this into consideration in my next play through also.

That art looks like Brad Pitt dressed up as a mage. All I can think of now is
>"Get up, Sarevok, I won't have a lightning trap take my glory".

you did it wrong its

Th-thanks

Also i have a feeling you are a zoomer so you may like pathfinder kingmaker more (it is the better game BG is just a classic)

CRPGs are a meme. Don't buy into them. The only thing of value they offer is writing, and the writing for most of them is not even that great. Play Planescape, and then call it a day.

>preparation
>just give some guys that can't use wands a potion and have casters use wands that can be found fairly frequently
I do agree though, accomplishing more with less is far more impressive.

Attached: Aganazzar's scorcher fun.webm (900x506, 2.62M)

skip bg1 and play 2 instead. just make sure to watch some youtube videos about d&d rules and how to make a good character build (it's the first and most important thing you do). game is much more complex than usual "rpg" shit like witcher 3 we have today and there's definitely a learning curve but you'll manage it.

and don't listen to retards ITT who say enhanced edition is unplayable because that's not true. it's actually perfect.

>tfw you cheesed a lot of encounters by sending in a dog with Animal Summoning 1 and having 3 rangers fire explosive arrows at it just as it walks into the fog of war

Baldur's Gate was something else

>Telling a new zoomer to max out his party and have more characters to micro manage
>Shit advice

Attached: Tiax.png (210x330, 113K)

Don't skip 1

Let's pretend you're right about ability cooldowns. Even then that still doesn't somehow make shoehorned vancian casting good. Just the fact that you're trying to tell me it is let's me know everything you're saying is just a bunch of nostalgia-based "it ain't like it was" bullshit.

26 year old boomer who never got into dnd

Don't forget the freedom of choice. Having a bunch of options for every situation is fun.

A good character build doesn't matter since any of the NPCs can easily solo the entire game. Just choose a character that is fun.

Cheesing Drizzt was always fun as well.

Dont skip 1 if you want that epic journey feel.

A smaller party ultimately makes the game harder and you can easily fill the slots with auto-attack archers that will sit back and do their thing.

And yet you've failed to name a single reason as to why ability cooldowns are a good thing or why balancing the game around a "rock-paper-scissors" scheme is good, either.

>wandering around boring woods and mines
>epic journey

>multipliers are applied only per 2 of each stat
not true in ad&d

This. You either go solo for maximum exp and ultimate power, or go full party.

CRPGs are for brainlets and here is why. Table top games were about tactics and playing your character. A CRPG is about telling you a specific story and you control a team that accomplishes the objective for your self-insert. This trained modern audiences to hold story telling as the primary trait of an rpg. Now games are dumbed down even table top games to accommodate the reduced brain matter.

Do I actually need to learn D&D to play it or can I just run with it?

Absolutely based user. Never change dude, never change.

It's true for Baldur's Gate 1.

>A good character build doesn't matter

he should at least learn and understand how to put points on different classes.

You need to learn some basic rules and understand how they work to break them or maximize your potential within their limits. It's just like any other game.

No it isn't.
As long as you understand THAC0 you're good.

A specific story > procedural generation

>"Cheat in 3 levels to your main character before starting"
Every infinity engine game has to be started by cheating Experience. It immensely improves gameplay.

Kino choice in character portrait in that webm

>wandering around boring woods and mines
>epic journey

>stories can't have build up, you have to start doing epic shit at level 1

The Baldur's Gate series has some of the best progression of any RPG ever made. You organically go from fighting wild animals to monsters and bandits to powerful spellcasters and the most dangerous creatures like mindflayers and beholders.

By contrast, in most RPGs, you fight the same homogenous enemy groups at level 1 to level 100, there is no real growth or progression.

Attached: 1552492992360.jpg (562x490, 41K)

Can someone recommend me some kino crpgs?
>Baldur's Gate 2
Played it recently and it was good, don't really want to replay it so soon though
>Divinity 2
Played it, good combat/items but boring arcs
>Pathfinder Kingmaker
Enjoyed everything about it
>Shadowrun Hong kong
I love xcom so I loved the gunplay, but jesus fuck I hated being a Cheng's pawn for so long and the lack of options that let me just fuck off whenever she put me off grid made me quit
I'm sure theres more stuff I played but I can't remember right now, help me out Yea Forums

Attached: 15551880460.png (584x657, 529K)

I agree
it's fantastic to think about almost getting your shit kicked in by kobolds (roleplay wise) and towards 2 you're fighting demi-gods on the regular

>By contrast, in most RPGs, you fight the same homogenous enemy groups at level 1 to level 100, there is no real growth or progression.
liar

This.
>start of the game you have to run from anything with a ranged attack in large amounts or even hordes of low level enemies like xvarts or gibberlings
>endgame you can just kill entire armies of them by looking in their general direction

I love this man, don't listen to the fag telling you not to listen.

Planescape Torment is lovely if you don't mind reading what ends up being a visual novel.

Otherwise there really isn't much. Pathfinder or the original divinity original sin are probably the best games recently.

thanks for all the tips guys will probably end up buying planescape rn but getting that baldur gate trilogy mod? to try out baldurs gate, don't mind walls of text if the story is good

Fucking this
God I wish it was turn-based

Attached: 1533583488499.jpg (454x454, 71K)

>4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

Examples?

>Examples?
They literally snuck in a Gamergate reference:

youtube.com/watch?v=JRIw7VUCmpk

Wow.
I'm up for a full rundown too

Attached: 1538691907508.png (352x316, 200K)

>buying
why buy a game from a dead developer?

Rolling a Fighter now, whats the best/easiest setup character for a newb?

>notra.fr/portrait
Doing a Trump God Emperor run. Gonna be good.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 220K)

Just play Deus Ex.

It's not hard but you will 100 percent have to read the descriptions of spells and items so you know what the hell is going on. You can't just slap a sword and shield on and fight, you need that knowledge of what spells do, how items work, what equipment bonuses mean etc.

That's in Siege of Dragonspear. Don't be a retard and blindly believe the spammer.

Already played it, 1 too, it's a good balance between rpg mechanics and fps imo

Fuck off, it's BioWare, I'm not surprised at all

What the actual fuck

Attached: disgust.jpg (8000x8119, 3.36M)

Have you played System Shock 2?

It's not even Bioware ya retard.

They changed dialogue you get with Safana in BG 1 and Viconia's banter got gutted too.

Redpill me on solo, I'm curious

Prove it.

you go fighter/mage/thief and cheese things with backstabs, skull traps, and use any item.

>they removed the fucking pre-rendered cutscenes
Wait, really? I thought it just added some shitty party members whose banter with other characters contradicted their established characters.

Pure fighter?
I'd go either berserker or barbarian

Normally I'd think you were autistic but in this case you're using your autism as a force of good, so you keep on doing what you do user.

>complains about games being boring and Cliché
>likes Baldur's Gate

Berserker. Has an ''I win'' button for mage encounters because of all the things you resist that will be relevant across all games. 18 str 18 dex and 18 con is what you need most

>THE PRE-RENDERED CUTSCENES
Those cutscenes are awful though. They looked cool back in the day when early CGI was impressive, but the game's 2d art aged literally a million times better than the cutscenes. They're jarring as fuck by now and would look even worse at modern resolutions.

I'm not saying they should have removed them, but they are completely irrelevant to anyone's enjoyment of the games desu

I made a thread earlier to ask for when I do my first run of Planescape and while I was told for my build to have 18 in wisdom, intelligence and charisma, I never got a answer to my other question, which was is the game gonna be like vtmb where I will have to fight at some point, or can I talk my way out or find alternatives to everything?

11 int or 10 at least if you get the tome would be nice too because of a certain enemy

They don't even appear in the first game.

No shit

There are forced random encounters and a few sidequests that require combat. Just turn the difficulty down low so combat isn't as much of a slog.

So int is irrelevant and you're retarded for suggesting it.

They're obviously going for the long run
Don't be like that, think ahead.

you can talk your way out of a lot of situations. i don't know if you can do that every situation though since i haven't played planescape in a fat minute.

And you're retarded for not being able to infer

Stop being a true neutral faggot.

Nothing about their post suggests that, retard.

Since you're solo the experience won't be split sixways at max party count or however many party members you have ways. That means you will level at an astonishingly high speed and most likely reach level cap somewhere around the middle of the game. Money will never be an issue and neither will be character management since you are alone. Inventory management however will be because you are alone and inventory space will be your most precious resource. Survivability too, because if you get charmed as a solo character, it's an instant game over, no questions asked. That means you must always have on hand means of protecting yourself from instant death effects like petrification, charm and rapid electrocution by a bouncing lightning bolt. All those can be covered by potions and you can get potion cases that significantly help you with saving inventory space.

Have you been keeping up with what OP has been saying in the thread

Wisdom is the only shit that really matters since is tied to how much background you will come to know about yourself. Its a lore reason but since you are playing you are in for the ride.
No, you cant manage yourself out from every situation just like vampire sooner or later you will have to kick some butt but you have a strong party which can take care of all your weakness. I never do pure blah blah characters so i always have a gun in my pocket.

By that logic their post also can also mean that they're not doing the first game.

>>enhanced edition is perfect
Neck yourself, tranny.

The Shadowrun games aren't that great. Dragonfall was the best of them though.

You don't even know if it's the OP retard.

>Not being a true centrist
Imagine ACTUALLY caring about things enough to have opinions on them
Neutral gang is where its at

Attached: Disdain.png (633x799, 607K)

Doing the work of the gods my friend. Keep it up.

And you don't know that it isn't

Was it kino?

Just learn what the shitty thac0 system means and you'll be good.

So you're saying that I'm right and you're wrong? Cool.

I'd say it's situational. You're right about int not mattering in the first game as a fighter but if they're going through to the second I'd get at least 11. Even then, it could be ''eh'' to take with how you play

Based retard who doesn't know how to comprehend

Dont get any of these CRPG enhanced editions unless you like some 20 year old retards
adding their fan-fic tier quests to the game

So how fun is being a pure sword and board human tank in this? Would I be better off being something else? I recall someone mentioning about duel classing, which from what I understand is playing one class, then switching to another at whatever level you decide to do so and playing as that class, and once you reach your old level you get both classes abilities? Could I be guy running around with a big ass sword or spear and blasting faggots with spells?

That assumes they'd stay as a fighter throughout BG2. You need to consider whether or not they'd make a new character or not even play 2 at all.
Little baby has to resort to insults? agoogoo boo poop poop?

And you need to consider whether or not they do
>insults
My guy, you've been throwing out retard this whole time

From now on this is a NO bully zone, you never know what your words can do to other anons!

Attached: NObully.png (712x372, 271K)

fuck i'm sorry

>I was told for my build to have 18 in wisdom, intelligence and charisma
this was a lie. you should aim for 18 wisdom and dump everything else in strength and constitution. get dex and cha to like 13 if you want a few more skill checks. intelligence is a complete waste because of cranium rat charms and a general lack of use for it.

combat is only avoidable in the sense that you can just run past enemies and nothing in the game is very poweful. there are mandatory dungeons with enemies you can't talk to and even a town that has respawning bandits.

Should I try and cheat this rolling shit or just go with anything over 90?

>got his feelings hurt when he's been doing it

Just do it the hard way, feels better when you get a near perfect or perfect score.

>That assumes they'd stay as a fighter throughout BG2.
So are you trying to say that they may multiclass....and might need more....int if they go mage?

It's just a back and forth ''you don't know and you don't know either'' argument so i'd drop it

I'd only cheat to get 18/00 strength because exceptional strength or whatever it's called is retarded.

Nope

You get +1 str tome anyway, so 18/00 str is actually needless.

It's fine. The two things to remember is that you're only attacking once per turn (the attack animation that plays a bunch and means nothing) and that you're going to lose a lot of fights the first time, so savescumming and trying a new strategy (e.g. luring the enemy into a crevasse with your party raining arrows and magic down) is simply part of the game.

>mash reroll until I get a good score
>accidentally click reroll again

Attached: 1553935565579.png (482x427, 79K)

these games arent necessarily hard you just have to accept that you're not going to be able to do everything unless youre a minmax autist and really most of the time they let you do everything anyway

what's with all the zoomers trying crpgs lately? is it from watching their surrogate streamer dads playing them? Where did this trend come from?

limit yourself to 5 rerolls per character and accept your fate

You get that shit super late.

No action rpgs coming out as often as 10 years ago

It's a literal brainlet RPG, if you have issues with the incredibly cut down AD&D 2e rules then there's something wrong with you

dont listen to anyone about build advice. half the fun of these games is figuring out a build yourself

>1...2....3....4...5...maybe another
>alright maybe another
>fuck
>clickclickclickclick

Attached: Cloakwood BBQ.webm (900x600, 1.71M)

>main stat keeps going down after the first roll
>you panic and spam it 10 times
>its still lower than the first roll

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png (640x360, 283K)

Attached: Aec'Letec Roasting.webm (900x506, 2.36M)

Delet this

Anyone here play Dark Alliance?

>*destroys the already small semblance of balance the game has even on SCS*

Attached: Baldur 2019-03-14 17-27-33-58.jpg (1364x768, 160K)

I remember in bg1 I got a scroll of cloudkill on my wild mage so I was able to cast it provided rng was in my favor
was fun

You lose out on the Enhanced addition's looting system tho

Cloudkill wrecks any non lich mage encounter since living mages cannot protected themselves vs poison even if they are level 30 on AI enhancing mods.
It also stacks so they are eternally doomed to fail their casts from multiple Cloudkills, and the damage is decent as well.
Plus Skeleton Warriors summons are immune to it, and also your own characters if Druid, Cavalier, or just equipped with Proof vs Poison amulet/Ring of Gaxx.

Attached: kin.jpg (1280x720, 59K)

>Skeleton Warriors summons are immune to it
Ooh, nice

>BG1 runs in a nutshell
youtube.com/watch?v=5GCSWEgZT94
what were they unironically thinking adding 6d6 fireball pots/wands/ and even motherfucking 6d6 on hit fireball arrows that have inifite thac0 in a game where mobs even bosses have low HP

Attached: Fireball.webm (636x482, 2.58M)

SS tier: zerker to mage dual
S tier: any mage dual/multi, blade, pure druid
A tier: pure zerker, dwarven defender, barbarian, druid duals, bards
B tier: fighter duals
C tier: pure priests, pure thiefs
F tier: monk
dont @ me unless you play SCS insane

hello dav

Whats the most fun class to play exactly? Is being a warrior fun?

Undead are immune to poison and actually most status ailments for that matter. The last tier of Skeleton Warriors you gain at 15+ even have 90% Magic Resistance which is absurd.

Actually true. I am glad you didn't fall for the garbage meme that is Kensai>Mage wher Zerkmage is miles better.

Where are paladins at

paly, ranger: A tier sorry

Nice i bought both of them without looking up anything and saw this thread

If you want to be a pure warrior, Berserker is actually quite powerful throughout the entire saga.
Berserker > Mage or Berserker > Cleric dual class is the best if you want a caster.
Or Fighter/Illusionist gnome, Fighter/Cleric dwarf since manlet races have OP save bonuses tied to CON.

Paladins aren't that special besides Carsomyr.
Without that they fall quite flat.

I wouldn't put them that high.
Archer can be quite powerful ranger wise, and paladins become mostly Carsomyr dispensers.
Inquisitors can help but not that much in SCS since mages will have SI:Abjuration.
Kinda underwhelming in BG1 though compared to other classes.

Dual classing is gay.

I'm a brainlet, why am I starting on chapter 8 instead of chapter 1? is it because I chose Throne of Bhaal?

Attached: 3 INT.png (211x310, 95K)

Yes
You're suppose to import your character through each game

Attached: 1554125527051.jpg (492x330, 43K)

Ironically I'm playing a low int character, so don't bully me
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

>unironically saying Baldur's Gate combat is shit
fucking retard

ToB is the second game's expansion.
Order is BG1 > BG2 > ToB
Also SoD between 1 & 2 if EE and you have it/want to play it.

Attached: Baldur 2019-03-10 10-39-20-72.jpg (1364x768, 149K)

Yes and BG2 is far superior to 1, the only issue is that you get permanent stat tomes that you can carry over into BG2 but that only matters if you power game. You can also just cheat this shit into your invo and ignore the first game even if you do power game

Dual class fighter/mage is a pretty great jack of all trades character desu

This ten thousand times.

I see BG2 as the better game, but I love the more down-to-earth plot and feel of Baldur's Gate 1. Things progress very organically, and I can't recall any game series where you can really feel the difference in scope as the games progresses.
Compare it with Mass Effect when you are basically doing the same thing for the three games while the cinematics try to tell you this one's more epic than the last one because

>the more down-to-earth plot
Ah yes the classic "I'M GOING TO KILL EVERYONE AND BECOME GOD" plot. Very low fantasy and humble.

Relatively speaking, it is.

Skellie warriors are also the goto summon for fighting Mind Flayers.

Not really.

t. brainlet
The first arc of BG1 is the iron crisis and going through the mine. It's pretty low stakes

The plot from BG1 is literally let's stop the Iron Throne and basically just get by while avoiding assassins.
Becoming a god is literally a ToB goal only, even in BG2 you mostly want to get Imoen back and then later your soul and divine essence.

>they can still be brain drained

That's literally the last minutes of the game, most of the plot consists on dealing with shit like the iron crisis and who the fuck killed my mentor

It is if you actually play the game

The Iron Crisis directly ties into Sarevok's plans to obtain godhood. Both games are essentially "stop the bad man from obtaining power."

You don't know that for a longass time tho

One of the very first things you hear in the game are the dudes singing about the prophecy of Bhaal.

level 30 monk has over 100% magic resist. most enemies in the game literally can't touch you.

Yes, and?

That and the dreams are so on the nose that anyone with an IQ above 93 should be able to figure out there's more going on than some simple jewish tricks.

>monk is good meme
you have never played the game on any meaningful difficulty

>oh no, my wife is being fucked, but i'm true neutral. Oh well.

How do I find the original? I only see EE on stores and pirate services.

Buy the EE on GOG.

Post a GOG download link.

Attached: Capture.png (1398x782, 774K)

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c0aa2eceb02fb37721ea902756f41f2ed747d42e&dn=Baldur%27s%20Gate%202%20Complete%20(September%2024%2c%202000)&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fglotorrents.pw%3a6969%2fannounce

>complete
>when it doesn't have all the versions
boo

>buying anything on GOG
>playing a beamdog emasculated edition
Fuck off back to your hugbox >>/reddit/

Ah dang its number 2. Thank you though based user

had to scroll too down for this, your`re losing your touch user

damn retard

Play pathfinder instead

thank you for your service user

Attached: dancing.gif (250x263, 1.95M)

pathfinder is good but let's be honest here, BG2 is the pinnacle of the genre

Attached: pathfinder tiefling.png (1280x800, 583K)

welp time to save my game and fap to some tieflings

That's really far removed though. Even if Sarevok's plan worked, that was only step 1. Not like he was on the verge of ascending or anything close desu. At worst, if he succeeds he ends up becoming one more contender like Abazigal or Gromnir or whatever.

That's still very grounded compared to the usual "hurry up or the world ends right now" type stories

how do you anal with the tail in the way

There's no "2d art" in this game though. It's prerendered cg. And it looks awfully equal.

Unless you are already aware of either the plot of the game, or at least the cosmology of FR, hearing
>the lord of murder shall perish
>and in his wake he shall leave a swath of mortal progeny
>so sayeth the Alaundo
Isn't going to be any more meaningful than the other prophecies you can hear about, you won't know who Elminster or Volo are, why them being around is important, and unless you don't explore you may well not tie the dreams to said stuff right away.

Fuck it I'm installing pathfinder again
I played it on launch and it was really broken, did they fix most of it? is it good now?

yes they fixed most of the bugs

and buy the tiefling DLC, it's really good

I'm going all in, deleting my save and all
And I'm still gonna shit on valerie

>the other prophecies you can hear about
You don't hear of any other prophecies.

I could've sworn they start up a new chant if you stick around, but I could be remembering incorrectly.
I'm pulling this all from memory.

And having checked the wiki, they have 5 different prophecies of Alaundo.

Well shit.

It's actually one of the first references to the time of troubles, which is the lore occurrence that triggered 3e.

Sleep is a very good spell in bg1.

I'ma SLEEP on bg1 haha
get what i'm saying

Weaponized autism for good

is it shit on bg2 or?

Most enemies in BG2 have too high hit dice to be affected by Sleep. It falls off somewhere halfway through BG 1, don't expect it to work on anything in BG 2 except for garbage that you can kill without spending a spellslot on it.

Note that the spell also behaves slightly differently in the BG2 IE engine, so EE, Tutu and BGT all have it behaving differently than in the original. Not nearly as drastic as Animate Dead and Summon Monster got altered, but it is noticeable in a direct comparison.

It doesn't work at all beyond a certain level. So it becomes completely useless beyond bg1. There are good substitutes like Chaos, though.

Making a spell completely worthless like that is generally bad design, but I suppose low-level mages are so fucking useless in D&D that you gotta give them something special. If it wasn't for sleep I don't even know what I would use in early bg1

Color Spray. If you get rid of both, i think you're stuck with something like Magic Missile, cause even Chromatic Orb needs a high level caster to do anything worth a damn.

>Magic Missile
Oh boy 1d4 damage and I can cast it once per DAY? Amazing. I guess you can interrupt mages with it tho

Never tried color spray, but cone attacks always seem to get mages uncomfortably close to danger. At least it's not Shocking Touch, or one of those other gag spells where you have to wonder what the fuck they were thinking.

Yea, i wasn't trying to say Magic Missile is great or anything, but it definitely has value in fighting those frankly ridiculous 1 shotting lightning bolt casters you run into before you hit level 2, both at the Friendly Arm and Silke. It's cast time is so short that you can actually react to spells being cast.

Oh, and while extremely niche, Larloch's has the upside of being able to cast it on a regenerating dwarf ally to heal yourself if you are in a place where resting is detrimental. Remember, you can grab Kagain in beregost, and he has 20 con.

I can't look past the fact they betrayed the realistic art style so hard in the EE by slapping cartoony borders around the characters.