Was this actually enjoyable?

Was this actually enjoyable?

Attached: 220px-Doom_Cover.jpg (220x313, 36K)

Guns had shit impact and having to finish everything with cinematic melee kills for additional health was unsatisfying.

Had to take apart my PS4 controller to wipe the single molecule of dust from the stick. Other than that it was pretty alright.

I'm questioning whether I should give this a try. But the few clips I've seen look so super generic and I can imagine the melee animations get repetitive super quick. Enemies look like they've been made by a queer designer too.

Not the best Doom game, but it was still fun.

It was really good. Has high replay value, goofy yet badass story, and good cinematics. Looking forward to eternal

Glory kills were forced as fuck, worst part is that you're required to do them to survive.

Hell yeah.

It's not my style of game at all but I loved it. Just wish it had less platforming elements.

No

There's a demo that will put you off

It has a cool presentation. I had more fun on a play-through where I only upgraded the pistol, health, armor, and ammo. The other weapon upgrades and runes made the game too easy, in my opinion.

Attached: 1528828538425.png (198x314, 20K)

I tried and can't say I cared for it. Shitty level design that forces you to fight waves of enemies per room. It tries to be like Doom by throwing out locked doors and keys when levels are as linear as any corridor shooter. I got so bored I just started spamming melee to see I could just glory kill everything and it worked. don't see the appeal

starts off like a lacklustre doom 3, ends up like a lacklustre doom 2. some weird jumping and bossfights as well to break it up. all in all a good effort for a 2016 fps, i was pleasantly surprised

fun game but i wish there was a way to turn off the some stuff like the bright blinking light when the enemies are stun and the confetti health and ammo explosion when an enemy die

It was good but Shadow Warrior 2013 did single player arena combat better.

Attached: nudoom.png (1230x776, 43K)

Loved it. Great combat and soundtrack. I remember glory kills being a concern for people early on, but they only take a split-second to perform, so that was a relief. I wouldn't have minded more enemies and bosses though.

I was wondering when Serious Sam Autist would show up.

It was more Serious Sam or Painkiller than it was Doom.

Hell fucking yeah it was. Fuck those autists that cannot accept anything that isn't og doom as fun.

I loved it.
Not to the extent where I would replay it but loved it nonetheless. Waiting for Eternal.

The game is great, the movement is smooth, guns feel awesome albeit older guns do seem to get rendered irrelevant by new ones. Glory Kills feel satisfying. They is quite a few variations for each enemy and they are more optional than you would think.

All and all, I enjoyed DOOM quite a lot despite generally not looking FPS.

>tfw you enjoy OG Doom and Doom 2016

Attached: 1480845993199.png (457x528, 310K)

I remember playing it on my ps4 and thinking it was the most insane fps i had ever played.
thats mainly because the only other fps i had ever played was cod and when I played DUSK on PC it completley blew doom 2016 out of the water.
also I dont know if its me but when I got the super Shotgun in Doom 2016 it just felt really weak and I was dying more often when I used it.

>playing a FPS on a console

It's certainly not bad. Purists and pessimists reel against it for various reasons but nothing that makes it an outright bad game. Glory kills do get a little old but you also want the bonus drops from them on higher difficulties so it balances out.

I know this is bait but I have to wonder how many of hte people who say shit like this (unironically) have played the game. There are a lot of criticisms you can make about Doom 4 but anything in this image is not one of them. "Fuck zelda, you do no damage unless you decide to get the master sword and if you don't get any heart containers then you have no health! Such bullshit"

>play through dewm 4 once
>uninstall

>install gzdoom
>play for all eternity

You werent playing at high difficulty. Glory Kills give so little health on Nightmare that you only use them when its absolutely necessary.

It was designed marketing first instead of the passion project that was the original Doom, it's button awesome centric combat was a complete joke. It's only an evolution of the gameplay of Doom in the current shallow market that is video games, nothing it does is an outright enhancement to the core gameplay of Doom, and it inarguably requires far less skill that the original Doom which is full of faceted design decisions and overlooked limitations in the AI that the current developers are not at all aware of.

Unless you have standards you will love this game.

>thing from old game isnt in new game
>thing from new game wasnt in old game

Fuck people who think changes are automatically bad. Doom 1 and 2 were NOT perfect, and worshipping a 25 year old game as the end of fps evolution is retaded.

Best game of the decade.

You don't EVER have to use glory kills. You are flat-out making shit up.

Yeah I fucking loved it with the classic camera placement
Fuck you niggers, yeah I know classic doom is better but this is 100x more enjoyable than 90% of FPS games released now. Doom Eternal looks cool

If you could melee kill everything it only proves you were playing on the lowest difficulty

imagine this level of buttmad

>having to finish off everything with cinematic melee kills
>having to
oh, man.

That just says a lot about how shit video games are at current point, it wouldn't even be hard to surpass nu doom, just need a developer interested in making a game worth playing, I guess.

Doom '16 was still a console shooter but it's one that behaves more similarly to Doom than any other console shooter has for over a decade. It was fine, I'm excited for Eternal.

Sort of

the game gets overwhelmingly tedious near the end. I'm on the last level and have never beaten the game. It feels like every section is a "challenge mode" and you cant just go through and enjoy the game

Dumb boomer

>It was designed marketing first instead of the passion project that was the original Doom,
They scrapped the original builds of it for being too Call of Duty-like in gameplay.

Attached: 1532527035846.png (540x482, 190K)

HELL FUCKING YEEEAAAAHH

Attached: 1464402912118.png (631x1330, 752K)

For the first 4-5 levels, gets repetitive and boring after that.

I guess. I still enjoyed Doom though, one of the only games I didn't drop one hour in since 2015.
At this point I barely play vidya, the only reason why I'm on Yea Forums today is because I went on a nostalgia trip.

i felt the opposite. game gets better as the encounters ratchet up in the second half

>game "ratchets up"
>you are forced to constnatly use grenades and shit or you can't beat the maps

grenades were worst part of the game

what's wrong with the grenades?

console design, doesnt belong in doom

this was amended in eternal by replacing them with the shoulder cannon which feels a lot more like it should

Best AAA fps of this generation, although that isn't saying much. Eternal looks to be an overall improvement. I hope it comes out this year.

That doesn't stop it from being a marketing first game, the main feature the game touted was the cinematic takedowns, which were very satisfying to watch and a good way to market the game itself. It was marketing first absolutely. The fact that they decided to copy CoD at any point really shows how far they have fallen, legitimately disgusting.

I dropped it a few hours in, it just felt hollow, with little skill required and worst of all in spite of it being 20 years since Doom it didn't feel like the formula had moved forwards at all.

>the main feature the game touted was the cinematic takedowns,

No it wasn't, whatsoever. You just made this up.

it is standard console shooter fare, but i'm okay with that. i've never had an issue with grenades in games.

>the main feature the game touted was the cinematic takedowns,
Not really, its first and foremost for marketing was "Hey guys it's Doom we're back". Glory kills keep the attention of eight-year-olds that like that kind of thing but if you start playing on higher difficulties at all they become a liability. It's a love-letter to Brutal Doom and people who liked the hammy "RIP AND TEAR" comic.

That shit was front and center for the game itself, it's a marketing first game, absolutely.

that's because you never played FPS without console grenades.

meaningless assessment from a person who self admittedly didnt plya the game

ehh, it was front and center in the marketing, sure. but i played it without using them at all.

weird assumption.... i started on shooters in 93 with the original doom.

Okay you got me there, there was a significant amount of "remember doom" and actually in retrospect that was probably the main source of it's marketing first design, higher difficulty is shit, but my main problem with the game, other than it's marketing first design, which is obvious, it's overdone gore, it's fancy graphics, it's cinematic kills, it's pandering to doom nostalgia, is that it doesn't feel like doom stepped into the the current gen outside of it's coat of current gen paint.
I did play the game, even if I didn't bother to finish it, but thanks for your reply.
That doesn't stop it from being marketing first, which the game is, it has no soul.

How are you forced? The frag grenade is probably the weakest AOE weapon in the game, and that’s coming from someone who uses them a lot

>playing doom with a controller
what the fug

Attached: 1513702039922.png (211x211, 25K)

>soul/soulless

yea u retarded

I know not many people liked it for its horror vibes, but how does this compare to Doom 3?

I haven't used a single grenade on any of my runs, how bad are you?

>t. min-max autismo
faggot

It was awesome

it fuckin owned doom 3.

second this.

I'm not saying that but now that you mention it

>massively influential game enshrined in the 90s zeitgeist
>brush based geometry changed the way that some games were made
>gameplay showed a strong understanding of it's core goals early in the fps genre's life
>resulted in mountains of me too clones
>created by team of passionate developers who were inspired by their own d&d sessions
>great hell theme and visual style
>not story focused
>engine was later made open source and the game has recieved significant modding support over it's lifetime and in spite of having passed the 25 yr mark the games community still remains strong
>partially blamed for inspiring school shooting
Vs
>marketing first game published by developer known for their large marketing department which is involved day 1 in every game published
>owned by shell compay founded by guy so fucking corrupt that he has been barred from ever working in banking for life
>game features only a shallow evolution of core concepts pushed in original titles and features none of the depth in enemy design featured in the original game
>most of it's praise comes from it not blindly following industry trends
>pathetic modding community and heavy modding limitations game will be forgotten completely even before doom 2 a game often considered the series worst

Nudoom sucks, I'm sorry that you don't think that but it does, it's a disappointing sequel to a milestone IP, I legitimately think that the game is praised so much entirely because it wasn't just another samey FPS for the current era, go play Arcane Dimensions, you will see true greatness.