This game is fucking terrible

This game is fucking terrible.

I had fond memories of playing 3 as a kid, playing it to completion and enjoying it thoroughly. I was working myself up to playing 5, but I've only played 3, so I thought that would be kind of dumb. My brother's got the HD collection on steam, so I figured, "Fuck it, I'll work my way through em'. Everybody says the second one is shit, but I'll try to push through it."

The plot twist is that the game has lost me at the first boss. Like, I don't understand how anyone defends this game, or why it set the world on fire like it did. The characters operate this schizophrenic middle ground of not QUITE being edgy, and not QUITE being campy, so the two named characters in the story so far just come across as fucking autistic. The controls are horrible. The movement snapping to the camera like Sonic Adventure is horrible. The soundtrack is horrible. The combat is horrible. Then to top it all off, I breeze through hordes of easy street baddies with standard one-two-three combos, and then the first boss shows up and pushes my shit in no matter how many times I try. I can already hear you too, "oh get good", but the fight is just fucking sloppy. It feels bad, and it's not fun to play.

DOES THIS GAME GET BETTER? Should I continue? Because I can't imagine the fucking train wreck that is 2, if people are convinced that's the "bad one".

Attached: 51QAW8GD2PL._AC_SX430_.jpg (372x500, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KlBv6uR1IQU
youtube.com/watch?v=udb5VNAXzaI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Zoomer faggot

>"I have fond memories of playing 3 as a kid"
>"zoomer"

What did he mean by this?

I hate 1&2 both feel like a terrible slog.

Like, is this franchise seriously 1 memorable game? Before 5 came out, every other entry was contentious among fans. But they all act like 1 is this amazing milestone in action beat-em-ups. It feels like shit to play, I thought the focus of the original devil may cry is how fun the combat is.

>This game is fucking terrible
Played it for the first time in the summer last year and it was great. My favourite DMC and one of my favourite action games

It is and it's still fun in 1. It's not as cuhrazee, but when you get to more intense enemies like the first boss you get some frantic and fun battles. Also fuck you for saying the soundtrack is shit, it's got a sweet 90's vibe to it. Now learn to use DT faggot because that's what the first boss is trying to teach you.

You sound like you would actually like the second one, it's much, much easier.

Dmc3fags have ruined any and all dmc discussion with their borderline general daily dmc threads. When 5 was annouced everyone was happy other than the occasional doomposter but overtime it just became dmc3fags jerking each other off until 5 came out and then they turned right around and piss on 5. In reality DMC1 has the best level design and atmosphere in the series and 4/5 have the best combat. OP is a fag that has never played a real game.

Based

Probably because you're too used to 3 that 1 feels bad. Phantom is easy you're just not letting yourself learn the boss. The game got a lot more fun for me when I got Ifrit and all its skills.

I found no difficulty or anything for that matter in 1, atmosphere is great i guess, 2 is among the worst games i've ever played, 3 is great, 4 is a half game and haven't played 5 and probably never will

What, you mean those generic midi's going "dun. dun dun." until the breakbeat kicks in? I love me some 90's game soundtracks, this ain't it chief.
The sound design is fucking terrible too, more stock sound effects than a youtuber on their 2nd copyright strike.
My problem is that the boss is like, only weak to devil trigger. I finally figured that out. He's an absolute bullet sponge that reacts to everything from a gunshot wound to the head to a claymore lightning sword to the thorax like a stiff breeze, and he hits like a brick shithouse. But oh my mistake, L1 was the win game button apparently.

This game commits design sins that Sonic Team gets shit for, but everyone defends this game because it's nostalgic. Honest to god, go back and play that fight for yourself. The camera angles and particle effects make it hard to decide what's even happening.

I want a happy middle ground like 3 is. I went back and played up until the first boss of 3 just to make sure I wasn't going literally insane, and the design philosophy is just so much better. They obviously learned a lot over the years.

>Daily DMC generals
holy shit, you'd think a new installment in the franchise just came out. Dude, I'm not some fanboy, my experience was enjoying 3 as a literal child, and deciding that I want to enjoy the franchise. My frustration comes from disappointment.

Could be. But I can go back to MGS after playing 3, for example. I understand it's from a different time, and adjust my expectations.

the controls are perfect, I think its the just dated camera thats fucking you up. Just get used to it or skip to 3. The game does get better when tougher enemies arrive, all dmc enemies are easy until the filter boss like phantom and ceberus.

1 is by far my favorite in the franchise
I think objectively 3, 4 and 5 are better games and 3 still stands as by far the best but 1 will always have a special place in my heart
You will get your shit kicked in and even I didn't enjoy my first playthrough of the game but on a second and third run I found myself absolutely loving it

The controls are so sloppy because they're based off of the camera movement. Like, it has directional combo inputs, but the camera snaps to specific directions and angles, and decides what "forward" is on the fly, whether you're in the middle of the combo or not.

I've been playing for like an hour, and I cannot count how many times I've been running down a hallway, and the camera changed angles, and Dante just started running in a completely different direction.

>Honest to god, go back and play that fight for yourself. The camera angles and particle effects make it hard to decide what's even happening.
I just played DMC 1 and 3 this Winter and Phantom was not that much of a bother. It's just like many of the bosses in 3 where you can't stand there and hit them forever, hit a few times then back off. I believe Helm Breaker or Stinger was the best move to use against Phantom to get adequate damage (don't quote me).

What do you like about 1 so much? Does it have something that 3 is lacking?

My ranking:
>1 is good
>2 is bad
>3 is great
>4 is ok
>5 is good

The synths, percussion and drones prevalent throughout many of the tracks manage to bridge the gap between 90's rave music which fits perfectly with the attitude and "stylish" nature of the game, and the gothic overtones
youtube.com/watch?v=KlBv6uR1IQU

Also it's not only weak to Devil Trigger. That's the optimal way to beat it, but smacking him in the head (most easily done with jump and slash) deals damage, and you can also hit his fireballs back at him. You can probably do some other stuff as well. You're literally complaining because you couldn't apply yourself. Also, before you call me "nostalgic" I'm this guy

This ain't my first rodeo cuzzin', I knew I wasn't supposed to just stand there and button mash (unless you devil trigger apparently). I treated that fight like a Dark Souls boss, chipping and dodging until I triggered their special attacks, and sneaking in for the kill. But he's just such a bullet sponge that your attacks don't actually DO anything. I was working that dude with stingers to the face and it did next to nothing.

>And you can only take like, 4 hits

>I treated that fight like a Dark Souls boss
Jesus fucking christ my dude, just stop playing the game and find something else

You and I must've been playing different games because I beat him on my first try within reasonable time.

Then why can I go back to 3 and beat the grim reaper dude first try and A rank the level? Like, what the fuck am I missing here?

Thinking about it, yeah

Here's a video of someone doing damage to Phantom without DT, before using DT to deal heavy damage. This is how you play DMC you brainlet
youtube.com/watch?v=udb5VNAXzaI

>why can I easily beat a boss for a game I already know but can't easily beat a boss for a game I don't know!?
This is how you sound. Just learn the fucking game just like you learned stuff for 3. It's called trial and error for a reason.

>The controls are so sloppy because they're based off of the camera movement.
The controls are very crisp and responsive. Its the camera that's confusing you. Once the camera changes you need to adapt to what angle it is and fight accordingly. Once you get used to the camera down everything will just click. I admit the camera is dated so if you dont like it you can just skip to 3 4 or 5.

1 has better music, art direction, and enemy design. 3 has much better combat obviously, better bosses, better story and has more content in general from bloody palace, to various costumes.

Phantom 1 goes down in like, five minutes at best even if you don't know what you're doing.
Hell the only "long" bossfights in 1 are Nelo and Nightmare's fights, everything else last five minutes or so.

Attached: 1283914508096.jpg (720x480, 50K)

to truly get dmc, you need to play re1-3. If you like those games, you immediately get it.

>oh, this is action resident evil.

He's a Soulsfag. He believes that only Dark Souls is worth learning and that everything else is shit

Meant for

How the fuck does a Soulsfag have difficulty on a tutorial boss?

Soulsfags aren't actually good at video games. They delude themselves into thinking they are because they fell for the "hardest game ever xD" marketing surrounding Souls/

>DMC 1
>not QUITE being campy

Attached: 1549266522970.png (499x338, 38K)

Not him or OP. I was born in 1999 and have played every DMC other than the reboot, which I refuse to touch. DMC3 is my favorite game of all time.

Great game, and the best DMC.

I like that 1 can be reasonably beaten within a sitting of 2-3 hours, feels good to get those route down perfectly and be welcomed with an S rank based almost purely on speed taken. I prefer how direct it's combat is too, enemies do not have a whole bunch of health, so you don't feel like you're just cycling through your movelist to please the style meter. The movelists in the later games are superfluous, killing isn't the goal anymore, it's how long you can juggle shit.

I played 1 first a couple years ago as a shitter who had only played Platinum titles and God Hand, and I expected something like the DMC4 Combo MADs I had been watching; I almost felt disappointed. Then the game kicked my ass over and over and I dreaded bosses because even the fun ones like Nelo Angelo would destroy me. Eventually I got what was probably 75% of the way through the game, hit a stopgap, and moved on to 3. I eventually played and beat the later games in the series and love 3 & 5 to death, but the more I play them (and go back to 1) the more I appreciate the original. I still need to do a start-to-finish run of the game, and I think I'll do that sometime this month, now that I've had my fill of 5 for a while.

>But they all act like 1 is this amazing milestone in action beat-em-ups.
It was, whether you personally enjoyed the game or not. DMC1 did a lot of shit no other game had done before and established some core ideas that action games in its mold have followed for almost 2 decades now. Maybe it wasn't the first to do all of the things it did (IIRC Rising Zan was the first game to have both a sword and a gun on your MC in that kind of game) it brought so many of these ideas together and put them in a classic RE/Onimusha-style level design.

I'm going to disagree here. The most important innovation of DMC1 was the Style Meter. The whole ethos of the game was a game where you can do more than just hack away at enemies but look cool while doing it. DMC1's movelists are more than what the player needs once you fully upgrade. Every DMC could be beaten with Force Edge/Rebellion and E&I alone. The Style meter and large movelists encourage player expression, and DMC3/4/5 just give the player more options. It's completely valid to prefer 1, but I think Itsuno's games are an extension of 1's design philosophies. 4 is kind of a combo wank game though, that's why my favorite character in it is Trish.

Attached: 1537847147861.jpg (360x441, 25K)

5 > 3 > 4 > DmC > 1 > 2

Don't @ me you stupid boomers

Imagine hating DMC 1, I would hate to be that zoomer.

1 >>> DmC:DE > 3 > 5 > 4

flock you

Attached: 10259099.jpg (800x690, 347K)

>and then the first boss shows up and pushes my shit in no matter how many times I try.
Dude I beat that game when I was a retarded 9 year old no problem. How fucking bad are you?

I've only played 1, do they all have live systems like in mario?

Nah, only 1's like that. 5 throws gold orbs at you like it's going out of style and lets you revive on the spot with full life and DT ,can be used multiple times a fight too. Fucking garbage man

>DMC1tards ranking it better than DMCV

imagine being a fucking shit eating boomer lmao

>Honest to god, go back and play that fight for yourself.
I played it for the first time a handful of months ago. And sure, I'm better versed in older action games than most, but I nevertheless didn't have that much trouble with it. The camera in the Cerberus fight in DMC3 was far more annoying to me than anything the camera did in DMC1.

cope.

Attached: 1550195831818.jpg (275x464, 27K)

Orb revives tank your score. Even Checkpointing three or more times in a Mission cuts 10% of your Style Points out. The Only issue is that you can do the Max Red Orb Revive which is almost as good as a Gold Orb and if you only do it once then all you lose is the 1.2x No Continue multiplier.

5 is the best DMC but that doesn't mean DMC1 isn't a rock-solid 8.5/10 that provides a different gameplay experience than the rest of the series.

>1. better art direction
>2. better story and cutscenes
>3. Faster more intense gameplay
>4. More challenging

>Should I continue?
You're obviously not having a good time with it so just fucking stop. It's a great game but if you can't get into it right now you won't magically start enjoying yourself, it's not one of those "it gets good 10 hours in" deals. If you hate it now you'll still hate it later on, especially since it has a few shitty gimmicky moments and as much as I love DMC1 those are fucking bad and the main reason I don't want Kamiya to touch the series again.

Yeah sure, mission scores. My problem is this system allows players to just faceroll their way through the campaign. And anytime I die, I have to go through the animation of the character kneeling then cancel out of the menu to the game over screen, then load back into the game in this roundabout.

and 5 is definitely not the best DMC from a purely cohesive standpoint. It might have the best mechanics, but there's more to making a good game than that and Itsuno's forgotten the importance of good level design. Or rather you fucks just don't care anymore as long as you can whack shit off in the skybox. You have the void and bloody palace for that shit, yet we still get garbage campaigns flooded with multiple characters.

Don't listen to him. It's Itsuno posting with a proxy.

It's your boy Kamiya. Play and betat my game! Best DMC ever.

Don't you have a few thousand people to block on twitter? Fuck off you bald faggot.

>5 is the best DMC

Attached: screenshot0241.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

Op btfo

What mods do I need for the DMC HD collection?

5's level design isn't bad though. I know I'm going to get shit for saying that, but it's better than 4's and parts of 3's. It's more linear but in doing so gives you more substantial length to the missions. Secrets and some alternate paths exist and are hidden pretty well without being too difficult to find. The pacing between fights is good as well. I would've liked to see the Nidhogg Hatchlings relevant in Missions other than 2 and 4 though, they're basically discarded from that point, and I don't think Dante uses them once. In terms of scenery, the latter half of the game definitely needed more variety to it, but some of the city stages and the backdrop for each boss are really good. I think Mission 7 is one of my overall favorite Missions in the series because of how Nero & V's paths diverge and intertwine, the scenery, the creative encounters (I LOVE the escalator fight), and the co-op encounter with the Angelos in the falling theater stage.

1 still has the best level design (except for the underwater shit), and 3's interconnected tower was a cool idea with a few hiccups, but I appreciate 5's approach.

Attached: 1529349159114.png (500x525, 346K)

I want to live in the timeline where DMC2 never happened.

Attached: 1551573028789.jpg (2560x1920, 611K)

DMC3 wouldn't have happened without 2.

>5
>the best

Attached: 1497132117183.png (340x314, 249K)

If DMC2 never happened, what would have become of the series, assuming you mean the version of DMC2 that we got and not that DMC1 was a one-off. I feel like 2 would still have a different director from Kamiya, as he would still be working on games like Viewtiful Joe at Clover not too long after DMC.

Exactly. I only ever wanted Devil Never Cry.

1 has fantastic enemy design, WAAY better than 3
I like the little details it has with the ways you can kill bosses and enemies
The setting, music, themes, designs are all great

Objectively I wouldn't actually say it's better than 3 but I subjectively rate games that give me more options higher and 3 characters plus all the Devil Arm/Breaker options, all of which are fun, means I have more ways to enjoy the game. Also Cavaliere and Balrog are in my Top 3 Devil Arms along with Nevan.

Attached: 1532059815031.jpg (500x499, 32K)

3se with style mod > 5 > 3se > 1 > 4 > 2

This but 4SE inserted higher than 4 and DmC:DE between 4 Vanilla and 2.

I like how DMC5's level design handles secret missions and orb fragments, but it sucks pretty hard otherwise after the halfway point and the innards of the tree take over. It's like they just ran out of time and money. Even the earlier missions don't have as much variety in enemy placement scenarios as it could have.

What if 1 got a Special Edition on par with 3SE or 4SE? What would it have added?
>Playable Trish (a slight variant of Dante like in 2)
>Playable Nelo Angelo
>Bloody Palace or an equivalent

Attached: 1538855290958.png (297x312, 130K)

>What do you like about 1 so much?
I like the pacing of it, for one thing. The game clips along at a brisk pace without anything overstaying its welcome. Even the maligned underwater bits are extremely short. I also like how every boss feels distinct. You fight them multiple times (which doesn't work that well in the case of Nightmare) but they're all memorable. I don't feel this way about many of DMC3's fights or even DMC5's. DMC1 also puts more stock into being a broad action-adventure game than the ones after it. It ain't exactly God of War and it's certainly not Prince of Persia, but it's not hard to imagine an alternative line of DMC sequels that put less effort into combos and more effort into platforming and puzzles. I like the DMC series we got just fine, but it's fun to think about.

Maybe you're used to 3 and not giving yourself a chance to adjust to 1's differences. 1 is still my favorite, but your criticisms seem a little emotional, maybe due to frustrations.

>People enjoy fighting Nightmare
>People enjoy fighting Shadows for 4 Secret Missions straight
>People love the escape sequence

Attached: 1554999986240.png (802x377, 628K)

Just buy the double jump for ez mode you nigger

Any change in the combat system to make it more like 3-on would be a big fuck you from me. plebs want a mission select even though DMC1 especially doesn't need it because it's so short. Guns need quickswapping, and more than one enemy type per room would be swell. I'm just waiting for Kamiya to remake the game period, even if I know it'll be an entirely different game by that point.

>tfw everything I don't get is autistic

Attached: activated paracortex.jpg (640x350, 45K)