>2019
>games are becoming more and more indistinguishable from real life
>still can render proper round circles
What gives? Surely we have the proper tech by now

Attached: lowpolywell.png (1920x1080, 3.58M)

it isnt worth the frames

Because everything is made out of triangles.

the problem is square pixels OP

A random manhole is usually not important enough to need definition, if you look at it under normal contexts and go "roundish tube", that's all the developers need to do

only if you are truly focusing on an object od you need to put in extra effort to make something round.

For instance, in a kirby game, since kirby's round and the typical point of your focus, they really make him round by adding more geometry.

polygonal 3d is just drawing a bunch of straight lines to make a shape, so you can never have a truly round object with polygonal 3d.

Anything else would have to do too many on the fly computations, which isn't impossible, but it's usually just not worth the processing time or dev time to implement.

What if we round pixels instead?

Attached: Untitled.png (640x400, 2K)

now you can't render a straight line
nice going

I want to see you make a perfect circular well out of stone, OP.

No bully.

Attached: 1385113161452.jpg (470x533, 38K)

I'd rather fake a straight line with circles rather than fake circles with straight lines

waka fuck you say about me?

Attached: 1051897-pacman.png (499x448, 35K)

consider hexagon pixels

That looks awful without tessellation.

Imagine being so autistic you care about insignificant lines that you barely even noticed. Jesus christ do you complain about lines on sidewalks not being up to your autistic standards?

Anyone else getting bored of real looking games, I dunno it's just that the more real it is the less I wanna play and just do something in real life. There's just no magic.

>2019
>lcd's still can't render round objects

Attached: lcd-vs-shadowmask.jpg (2048x1071, 768K)

You realize wells arent proper round circles dipshit

>implying Pac-Man looks like that ingame

Attached: image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6Mnu24_PawYuDYIoH77pJ.X5Z.MqQPibUVTcl0jWxnCNkDuqZQ85IoK.n.txsh (1920x1080, 141K)

Are you retarded, dude?

Attached: 1554916310665.webm (542x334, 23K)

Not possible because each PIXEL is a circle. That is a circle that you then turn into a line by extending one side of the circle a distance.
If each pixel is a circle, a straight line is just a series of circles with gaps at the top and bottom between each.

>2019
>shadowmask still can't render straight objects

Maybe that's the solution. Having overlapping pixels, that way you can overlap circles into a line. Damn, I'm a genius

Wait a second, I'm going back into gimp.

err nvm, it didn't work out very well. If they overlap, you block part of the colors of the one behind

Attached: Untitled.png (640x400, 3K)

A singular pixel can only be one color.

Didn't Quake 3 have some perfectly smooth curves? Something about rendering parameterized surfaces (Bezier curves?) directly instead of polygons.

Basically your answer is no one is going to bother with that shit unless they're Carmack but I think it's technically possible

A single RGB pixel (the standard in monitors) is the three lights combined to form one color.

>he isn't an aperture chad

Might as well throw a google image with it.

Attached: Capture.png (431x287, 5K)

A crt's shadowmask is basically an aperture in the first place. What are you on about?

They are indeed both becoming shittier and shittier with each passing year.

Attached: 1549326664456s.jpg (209x250, 6K)

Aperture grille is different from shadow mask.